• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD from Sega announced at TGS is all but guaranteed IMO. It's just too much instant cash to leave on the table. I think when Sony's conference prompted the month of Shenmue mania Sega probably green lit them so hard back then. Remember the primary reason they were not released last time wasn't the legal troubles it was concern over potential sales volume after the JSR and Sonic ports bombed. Now the Shenmue ports are almost destined to reach stratospheric sales so Sega is almost certain to announce them soon.

I'm thinking that Cedric's allusion to hard news coming in September is because Sega have their own announcements scheduled around then for TGS.

Here's hoping. I'd love to experience the games again (without having to track down a Dreamcast that is).

To me the PSX event seems like a more appropriate place for announcing HD releases. Shenmue III was announced on a Sony stage and last year's PSX had the oh so exciting FFVII PS4 news. Also, it seems like Shenmue is a lot more popular in the west, so announcing at TGS might not have enough impact.

aizen59

Neo Member
I am heading to Japan this month to interview Yu Suzuki. I will try my best to provide news and get some answers..

More to come !

DSC_0490.jpg

https://twitter.com/Deville_Davidx/status/640290604572876800

Interview from last year :

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

I'm loving the optimism for hd ports of shenmue 1 and 2, but i really can't see it happening. The licensing issues will get in the way. More chance of the xbox one getting shenmue 2 via emulation.

Theonik

I'm loving the optimism for hd ports of shenmue 1 and 2, but i really can't see it happening. The licensing issues will get in the way. More chance of the xbox one getting shenmue 2 via emulation.
The licensing issues are not really a blocker, SEGA simply didn't consider it worth the effort to navigate through them after how the JSR port did.

Spaghetti

there are conflicting reports on why the ports haven't yet happened. ultimately, we're probably going to see something. the kickstarter probably lit a fire under sega's ass because there is obviously profit to be made there.

addik

For some odd reason, I only got the notification from the bank that Kickstarter has charge me just this week.

So woot woot, limited edition physical copy here we go!

celsowmbr

Banned
there are conflicting reports on why the ports haven't yet happened. ultimately, we're probably going to see something. the kickstarter probably lit a fire under sega's ass because there is obviously profit to be made there.

oh yeah!

And at least 70 000 copies will be sold, that is a fact!

Considering how much the previous one costed in terms of development, I hope that 6.3 million is put to good use for those of you looking forward to the 3rd game.

It's September so that news that Cedric promised should be coming any day now. I think my theory that the news is going to come in around TGS to coincide with an announcement from Sega is plausible. Expecting something along the lines of Sega announcing Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and then we get some Shenmue 3 news in conjunction with that.

Cedric's cryptic tweet was "September will bring its share of news". Could he be alluding to something from Sega at TGS?

A lot of the interview is about E3, the Kickstarter and Japanese specific questions. It seems like they are slightly concerned with how English focused the Kickstarter campaign was, such as with the announcement being in English and English-focused tiers (e.g. get a call from Corey Marshall). My rough translations of the interesting parts about development:

Re Paypal:
Interviewer: By the way, at this time, The Kickstarter campaign has raised about 780M yen, will you be seeking further investments?

Suzuki: I think we will be accepting funds through PayPal. At this point, I am unable to give any details but preparations are in progress.

Interviewer: Is there any possibility of reaching additional stretchgoals?

Suzuki: If possible, I would like to add them. A big hurdle with Kickstarter has been that it was a foreign website. There have been issues entering addresses. I have been asked questions like "if I make a small mistake entering my information will I still be able to receive my reward?" which has lead to some anxiousness. In setting up a PayPal site, I think it will be important to allow entry in Japanese.

Interviewer: I see. You would like to make correspondence with Japanese fans easy. From here I would like to discuss the development. What type of candidates are you looking for?

Suzuki: For planners and programmers, we would be happy with someone who has experience with development using the Unreal Engine.

At this point, I decided that direct translations was too much work so here's the gist of some parts.

Interviewer wants to know about potentially returning voice actors but Suzuki suggests that some of them may have retired and are inaccessible.

The rest of the interview is about the areas we'll visit, character perspective system, and other little details like that. They spend some time talking about Niao Sun.

Talk of gameplay mechanics. Most of it is stuff we already are familiar with. He's most looking forward to testing the battle system so it sounds like that might be one of the first demos we get. They are also proposing a 2km by 2km playfield.

He wants to put in a fishing mini-game. They might also be a weapons shop.

He's interested in VR and talks about how at Sega he had experimented with early prototypes. He doesn't see potential for Shenmue 3 at this time but is very interested in it (maybe his next project?)

They would like to have a small update for the community every month.

Big thank you for translating this, they've also referenced it on Shenmue Dojo

I just like translating bits while we wait for fuller translations because it's a learning exercise and I hadn't seen the usual people at Shenmue Dojo release one. I hope someone releases a more complete translation because I should have been working and there are a lot of kanji I'm unfamiliar with so it's possible that I misinterpreted a few things.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
On a side note: I got my confirmation that my Data Discs order for the Shenmue soundtrack on vinyl is finally shipping a couple of days ago. Can't wait to hear this amazing score again! I am cleaning my cartridge and fine-tuning my setup in anticipation.

Perhaps Sega is getting a bit smarter?

Now is the perfect time to hit with a Shenmue HD collection

Announce a proper Shining Force too while your at it. Oh and PSO2 out west on PS4 thanks

Perhaps Sega is getting a bit smarter?

Now is the perfect time to hit with a Shenmue HD collection

Announce a proper Shining Force too while your at it. Oh and PSO2 out west on PS4 thanks

I think I would die. Although, PSO2 won't have a western release announced at TGS and judging by their merch, Sega's not done with Tony Taka's take on Shining yet. They could keep the borderline hentai for all I care if they brought Camelot back for everything else. Let's hope for Shenmue HD at the very least.

What's the Shenmue t shirt look like? I couldn't see it there!

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/09/10/tgs-2015-segas-game-lineup-merch-booth-information/12-4/

im still shocked that Sega hasn't supported or mentioned anything about Shenmue 3.

Suzuki is going solo for this project. Then again, I trust Shenmue with Sony more than Shenmue with SEGA!!

Top Bottom