• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Month 3 Progress Report with screenshots

ViciousDS

Banned
I know, I know! Mind you the $450 dollars is Australian dollars, and it includes the shipping cost from Japan.

It's very impressive. Super detailed and big. I never usually spend that much on a statue, but it's Guts! And hey, this is only mid range when it comes to Berserk statues. Some of them go for over a thousand!

That doesn't make it any better!!!! That's still a $320usd statue!!!! But, if ya like collecting those things the. Go for it. I love my sword collection :) Glamdring still my favorite in what I own

I've no doubt that the advances in tools over the last decade and a half improve the effectiveness of games development exponentially, but even with such advantages, I just don't see Suzuki being able to make a Shenmue-sized game on 6-10m with a drastically smaller team. After all, nobody else has been able to.

Yes, but if you take the same amount of budget with the amount of technology powering Bethesda has for their games, not only does it beat Shenmue in scale but NPC count and features as well. But nobody would be foolish to put the budget of Bethesda to create something to the effect of Shenmue 2.

Spaghetti

i don't think anybody has really tried making a shenmue-style open world, have they? life is strange kinda comes close with the sense of place and familiar locality vibes, but even then that's not really a great 1:1 comparison.

there's no real modern equivalent of a shenmue open world right now. you can see bits and pieces through different games, but no one game that really collects them together in a similar way.

honestly, with all the complaints i've seen about pointlessly big open worlds, a small-scale focussed open environment might be a nice antithesis for players who want something more contained.

you can even see that effect in gta3 and the original shenmue. i can't really think of what an average street corner looks like in gta, but pretty much every part of shenmue's map is ingrained in my mind. i played and loved those games a whole lot, but shenmue is more memorable because it is contained and focussed.

mattp

the textures of lan di's fucking jacket are still mind blowing to me
look at how much detaiol and care went into that! and he's in the game for like 10 minutes? lol

obviously that screenshot is running at higher res in an emulator, but god damn look at how good that texture is(his face, too)

master15

Another thing to note about Shenmue which makes it so real / immersive are the NPCS. All of them have their own lives that they live independently to Ryo. They have their own schedules, personalitys, problems, jobs, etc. They're not just mindless NPCS that wonder the street for the players benefit.

Yes, you can see from the making of and from this beta footage- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ1wh6XKTc from the 13 min mark onwards how these schedules/routines of the NPC really helped ground the world and give a sense of reality to proceedings.

lan di has an amazing design. can't wait to see what he looks like in 3.

Yes his design and character model is absolutely amazing-

w129542275.jpg

Top Bottom