• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II HD Announced [PS4/X1/Steam] 2018

LOL, this is one meme that I never understood. It's something that happens very early in the game and is over within minutes once you hear about Charlie... yet everyone seems to the think the game is all about looking for sailors...
Of course. But someone had to say it.

BANGS

Banned
It did. Right through the floor.

vyUKZqB.gif
Actually Shenmue sold very well and definitely sold Dreamcasts. Shenmue itself was not the problem, it was SEGA's decision to invest so much money into a game with less than 10 million total consoles sold in it's lifetime. The money invested in Shenmue was also well worth it in the long run, as it pioneered development for future games. There was NO WAY Shenmue could have possibly made enough money to break even, and SEGA knew this and continued anyway because they wanted their killer app... and oh boy did they get it!

But unfortunately this was around the time video gaming was becoming much less of a niche nerdy hobby and much more of a mainstream product. Everyone was waiting for PS2 so they could play DVDs and Madden, they didn't care how many amazing games Dreamcast had...

Actually Shenmue sold very well and definitely sold Dreamcasts. Shenmue itself was not the problem, it was SEGA's decision to invest so much money into a game with less than 10 million total consoles sold in it's lifetime. The money invested in Shenmue was also well worth it in the long run, as it pioneered development for future games. There was NO WAY Shenmue could have possibly made enough money to break even, and SEGA knew this and continued anyway because they wanted their killer app... and oh boy did they get it!

But unfortunately this was around the time video gaming was becoming much less of a niche nerdy hobby and much more of a mainstream product. Everyone was waiting for PS2 so they could play DVDs and Madden, they didn't care how many amazing games Dreamcast had...

You do realize we've said exactly the same thing except yours is a bit more flowery and with the tone of an apologist?

BANGS

Banned
You do realize we've said exactly the same thing except yours is a bit more flowery and with the tone of an apologist?
Apologizing for what exactly? I'm just saying Shenmue was not to blame for Sega's failure, they did that all on their own even if Shenmue didn't exist at all, and in the long run Shenmue was actually a very good thing for SEGA despite the short term losses...

If you guys were saying the exact same thing, I missed it sorry...

Last edited:
Apologizing for what exactly? I'm just saying Shenmue was not to blame for Sega's failure, they did that all on their own even if Shenmue didn't exist at all, and in the long run Shenmue was actually a very good thing for SEGA despite the short term losses...

If you guys were saying the exact same thing, I missed it sorry...

apologist

[uh-pol-uh-jist]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
  1. a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.

pzSEaz7hO_XYE5xKdF6nvTOInDp44zwHpi6WfmfGfD0.jpg

People blame Shenmue for Sega's leaving the hardware biz, the same company that released the Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Nomad, and Sega Saturn all within like a four year time span. lol Admit it, Sega buried themselves. Blaming Shenmue for Sega leaving the hardware game is so utterly ridiculous and ahistorical. The company that didn't give its mascot a game on its flagship 32 bit system and allowed one of their rising stars to nuke it out of pettiness. That Sega? The Sega whose bread and butter was the arcade business which went tent up during a time when consoles could put out better versions than the arcade game (Soul Calibur, Tekken Tag;etc)? That Sega.

Shenmue was the least of that company's problems.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
apologist

[uh-pol-uh-jist]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
  1. a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.

pzSEaz7hO_XYE5xKdF6nvTOInDp44zwHpi6WfmfGfD0.jpg
You claimed you said the same things I did, so how was my tone any different? Sounds like you were just wrong and are just running with it...

People blame Shenmue for Sega's leaving the hardware biz, the same company that released the Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Nomad, and Sega Saturn all within like a four year time span. lol Admit it, Sega buried themselves. Blaming Shenmue for Sega leaving the hardware game is so utterly ridiculous and ahistorical. The company that didn't give its mascot a game on its flagship 32 bit system and allowed one of their rising stars to nuke it out of pettiness. That Sega? The Sega whose bread and butter was the arcade business which went tent up during a time when consoles could put out better versions than the arcade game (Soul Calibur, Tekken Tag;etc)? That Sega.

Shenmue was the least of that company's problems.
100%

Don't insult other members of this forum.
You claimed you said the same things I did, so how was my tone any different? Sounds like you were just wrong and are just running with it...

You've already demonstrated amply in this thread that you reply to posts without truly comprehending the content so asking me to drop down to your level of ineptitude is a bit of a challenge so I'll sidestep instead and just allow you to fall on your face instead. Happy trails!

BANGS

Banned
You've already demonstrated amply in this thread that you reply to posts without truly comprehending the content so asking me to drop down to your level of ineptitude is a bit of a challenge so I'll sidestep instead and just allow you to fall on your face instead. Happy trails!
...you only have gon and dan...

I felt the need to chime in as a third party after seeing how much of a dick youre being. You should really calm down cause not only are you presenting yourself that way, but for someone taking a position of superior intelligence, you seem retarded.

I felt the need to chime in as a third party after seeing how much of a dick youre being. You should really calm down cause not only are you presenting yourself that way, but for someone taking a position of superior intelligence, you seem retarded.

Trying to get a cool "Don't insult other members of this forum" banner like me, eh? Don't worry you won't get one as I originated, you are but a poor mimic. Watch and see.

cireza

What. When. How??
Guys... If you want things, the least you can do is keep yourself informed.

I remember a tread where someone was asking for 10 games to be available or remade, half of them were actually already remade and playable on Xbox One through backward compatibility.

Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox One is outstanding. Buy it, play it.

Last edited:

Hudo

I don't quite get why people blame Shenmue for Sega's outcome in the hardware race. Yes, Shenmue wasn't cheap to make. But Sega lost huge amounts of money with their own hardware. The 32x and Sega CD were a failure and pissed off customers (because they were dropped fairly fast). The Saturn was a failure as well (and it didn't help that it was not easy to program for). The Dreamcast looked to be a success at the beginning, then the PS2 came out... It also didn't help that Sega and EA were not on the best terms and subsequently, Sega's hardware was missing EA sports games. And if the average customer sees that there's no Madden or Fifa on your platform, they'll go with the other platform. Unsurprisingly, Sony weren't that nice to Sega as well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That is indeed bad :/... would miss the arcade games... I hope they bring them in.

I forget which ones were in them, but Yakuza 0 has Outrun and Space Harrier so I don’t see why they couldn’t keep the Sega Arcade games in them.

BANGS

Banned
I forget which ones were in them, but Yakuza 0 has Outrun and Space Harrier so I don’t see why they couldn’t keep the Sega Arcade games in them.
Because Shenmue 3 isn't a Sega game and doesn't have the rights to use the arcade games...

Not sure if it's audio quality, the fact the guy has forgotten how to do the voice, or just age has changed his voice but if you didn't tell me he was meant to be speaking in Ryo's voice I wouldn't know.
Corey Marshall is a hack, he's awful...

I don't quite get why people blame Shenmue for Sega's outcome in the hardware race. Yes, Shenmue wasn't cheap to make. But Sega lost huge amounts of money with their own hardware. The 32x and Sega CD were a failure and pissed off customers (because they were dropped fairly fast). The Saturn was a failure as well (and it didn't help that it was not easy to program for). The Dreamcast looked to be a success at the beginning, then the PS2 came out... It also didn't help that Sega and EA were not on the best terms and subsequently, Sega's hardware was missing EA sports games. And if the average customer sees that there's no Madden or Fifa on your platform, they'll go with the other platform. Unsurprisingly, Sony weren't that nice to Sega as well.
Shenmue was the least of Sega's problems. While it WAS indeed a commercial flop and definitely contributed to the downfall of SEGA, it was just another drop in the bucket...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Because Shenmue 3 isn't a Sega game and doesn't have the rights to use the arcade games...

Ah I assumed they were talking Shenmue 1 and 2 HD since that’s the thread topic.

Geki-D

Banned
Corey Marshall is a hack, he's awful...
Yeah. Pretty much all of the voice work in the first 2 games was bad bar a few, Ryo was one of the worst, though. Pretty disappointed he's coming back for 3, back then standards for VG voice acting weren't all that high but these days that stuff he did won't fly.

Yeah. Pretty much all of the voice work in the first 2 games was bad bar a few, Ryo was one of the worst, though. Pretty disappointed he's coming back for 3, back then standards for VG voice acting weren't all that high but these days that stuff he did won't fly.

He's fine. Just need better vo direction.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, I'm just afraid they're gonna turn it into Yakuza. That certainly works in some parts(one could argue the Yellow Head building segment was very much like Yakuza, and it's one of the best parts of the series), but I don't want to be walking around a quiet Chinese rural village getting jumped every 30 seconds either... I still want to be able to stop by the local shrine and talk to the young girl and her kitten, explore some areas and pick up items just to check them out, etc... there has to be SOME slow pacing to it or it just won't be Shenmue at all...
Couldn't agree more, I am one of those people that preferred Shenmue 1 to 2 as I liked the slower pace, more intimate environments to explore and (it felt like) more detailed world. Shenmue 2 was a little too much, environments were bigger and so had less detail.
I would have thought due to budgets that Shenmue 3 would be more like the first game, still hope that is the case.

Nicktendo86

Don't care about the bad Corey Marshall VO personally by the way, the bad VO was part of the game's charm for me. Like a badly dubbed Japanese movie.

BANGS

Banned
Most of the community universally praises him because of nostalgia unfortunately... he really is just the worst though and there's a reason he hasn't done anything notable since Shenmue...

He's not bad, but he is an SJW...
He's awful AND an SJW lol... and not just an SJW in the sense that he holds those opinions but in the sense that he outright attacks people for their beliefs on social media, then blocks them after they shut him down with facts. He's the worst representative for Ryo I could possibly imagine. I'm so glad the Shenmue undub exists and this port will have the option for Japanese dialogue...

Most of the community universally praises him because of nostalgia unfortunately... he really is just the worst though and there's a reason he hasn't done anything notable since Shenmue...

He's awful AND an SJW lol... and not just an SJW in the sense that he holds those opinions but in the sense that he outright attacks people for their beliefs on social media, then blocks them after they shut him down with facts. He's the worst representative for Ryo I could possibly imagine. I'm so glad the Shenmue undub exists and this port will have the option for Japanese dialogue...
I'm too used to his voice acting since I've been playing the series since it first came out on the Dreamcast. Would be a weird change for me..

BANGS

Banned
I'm too used to his voice acting since I've been playing the series since it first came out on the Dreamcast. Would be a weird change for me..
Ever since Shenmue 2 came out with the Japanese voice acting on Dreamcast, I knew I had to play the first game with Japanese voice acting lol... Took me years but eventually the community came through and released the undub...

Toe-Knee

Ever since Shenmue 2 came out with the Japanese voice acting on Dreamcast, I knew I had to play the first game with Japanese voice acting lol... Took me years but eventually the community came through and released the undub...
See I went the opposite way and patched shenmue 2 to be English.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Yeah. I was already waiting for Shenmue when it came out in Japan, Project Berkley CD sold me on it. I got the game before the end of 99, and I finished it before the new year. Japanese voice acting was so good, I'm gonna try playing this one in english.

BANGS

Banned
Japanese voice acting was so good, I'm gonna try playing this one in english.
Japanese voice acting has it's issues too... mostly like whenever a "foreigner" tries to speak english... But I vastly prefer the Japanese over the just completely awful English voice acting. It's even worse in the second game where they all sound like cartoon characters...

RAIDEN1

ShenMue was the right game, but came out at the wrong time...Sega were in a dreadful position financially in 1998..compared to where they were in 1988 say, you could only imagine if Shenmue DID come out on the Saturn would it have helped it in anyway? More so with losing out on another epic RPG which was Final Fantasy..

BANGS

Banned
ShenMue was the right game, but came out at the wrong time...Sega were in a dreadful position financially in 1998..compared to where they were in 1988 say, you could only imagine if Shenmue DID come out on the Saturn would it have helped it in anyway? More so with losing out on another epic RPG which was Final Fantasy..
Shenmue should have been a Dreamcast launch title in the US, it would have changed things in a big way IMO...

Top Bottom