• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III sales flopped

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There was no passion and love in poured this project..just a quick pieced together gm by students fresh off the arts school
Sure... a game of that scope and detail made on a shoestring budget had no passion or love poured into it. I forgot UE4 had a make me a Shenmue blueprint in it. I am not impressed by threads trying to dance on a game’s grave lol... the supposedly intended PC audience betrayed by having the game delivered on EGS instead of Steam, definition of overdone drama IMHO...

Last edited:

chigstoke

I forgot I'd even backed the kickstarter for it, my download code is still sitting in my inbox, if I can stop being a lazy arse I might actually get round to installing it.

As for sales, no surprise really. Niche game overall, and let's face it the primary audience is I+II players, and how many people are going to be arsed to get the £24.99 re-releases to catch up? Not many I suspect.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I love how everyone has such a big reaction to it, gets everyone worked up in list wars, and then doesn’t buy or play the game when it releases.

Bought it as part of the Kickstarter, like many or most of the intended audience, and bought another copy at launch (alongside Shenmue I + Shenmue II) for my brother. Speak for yourself :p.

FranXico

At least we will have a lot less complaints about it and excitement when people “re-discover” it on GamePass ;).
Oh I know. It's always the same cycle.

Console timed exclusive comes out on PS first: certain people trash it.
Console exclusivity expires, Xbox port is announced (to the surprise of no one with a clue): certain people express sudden curiousity - "Oh, I might try it!"
Game comes out on Xbox: certain people act "pleasantly surprised", try to call it "a new launch, like it's a new game", probably because on their minds, that's how "it should have always been". And of course, now the game suddenly gained redeeming qualities and can be called "good".

See: No Man's Sky.

Last edited:

GymWolf

A niche boring game for the 100 fans of the saga remained on the planet bombed??

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What a stupid take.

The game was already successful years ago when it made its Kickstarter goal, and even more so as plenty more people pledged through the additional campaign.

Of course, its sales are going to be lower, since most of those who wanted the game already "purchased" it years ago.

The only "flop" I see here are poor "journalists" writing despicable clickbait while ignoring this simple fact.

A niche boring game for the 100 fans of the saga remained on the planet bombed??

Your math is way off, apparently, just as your logic.

Last edited:

Neff

Well duh, Shenmue fucking sucks. And I say this as someone who likes Shenmue.

There is almost nothing in the series that I can defend as appealing to the average gamer in 2019. It's tedious, repetitive, poorly-acted, unsatisfying, clichéd nonsense.

For a Sega/AM2/Yu Suzuki junkie like myself though, who can enjoy an autistically-detailed detective story only slightly mechanically deeper than the average visual novel, it's great. But I'm no doubt representing a very tiny fraction of gamers out there.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
iconmaster iconmaster it's over. Dreams ain't coming out this year. If it did (and this didn't wasn't a wet fart) I might've stood a chance. Good game! We should try again for contenders for 2020, the other guys gave up.

Last edited:
I would say the game is for the fans of the first 2 games and doesn't necessarily aim at new players. I think it is just a great fan service and I would assume the production value was pretty low.

If you consider that Shenmue back in the day was the most expensive game ever produced it is clear that Shenmue III will not be able to achieve what Shenmue did back in 1999.

PS: Did a quick search. Shenmue had a budget of $ 47 million in 1999 while Shenmue III budget was $ 20 million.

Last edited:

Griffon

It's disappointing to see that he didn't even finish the story. Suzuki had one goddamn job with this.

Even a truncated sprint to the end would have been fine, because now the perspectives of ever seeing a Shenmue 4 are very low.

Life

It's all too easy to hate on Shenmue 3 when you never played the first two. Maybe some of you even feel entitled to?

Pidull

This thread is exactly why I'm glad they took Epic's money, a bunch of poser Shenmue fans butthurt about the shift to EGS when they weren't going to buy the game anyway. The negativity almost had me thinking I wouldn't like the game.

Series was always going to have a niche audience. Biggest thing I'm sad about is that they didn't finish the story. Hopefully they have enough assets to continue the series with a smaller budget, and hopefully Sega allows them to finish.

Well, it's not surprising.
Shenmue was never a series that sells large volumes.
It's a niche product aimed at it's fans. Outside of them, it's hardly a game that will win over nbewcomers with it's dated mechanics, graphics and production.
And it had very low marketing budget. Realistically, you can't expect to rely on a couple of launch trailers, reviews and word of mouth to sell your game these days.
The same problem with marketing is with Yakuza series. They are extremely high quality games ruined by Sega's god awful marketing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That’s actually kinda sad. People were jumping up and down. Some looked like they could cry. I remember the days of ShenMue too and even I was kinda thrown back by how overly excited everyone was. All that money went to the Kickstarter and the game flopped on store shelves. Everyone likes to be involved in the feeling of nostalgia, but not everyone wants to pay for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom