• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III | The Story goes on - Launch Trailer

MiguelItUp

Man, I really wish I played Shenmue II when it mattered. At this point I'd love to be more excited about this, but without playing II I feel like I've missed a large important piece. I suppose I could do what I did with Witcher 3, and just go over the synopsis of the previous games.

I at least played the original Shenmue, so at least there's that!

Geki-D

Banned
I find the fact they're using the actual same song from the original Shenmue a little jarring, rather than an updated version of it. I mean it's not just the same song, it's literally the same track from 1999.

They could have at least used the real instrument orchestra version:

I'm pretty sure I heard from an interview that Yu Suzuki said there were "some" new tracks on the game's OST which rang some alarm bells in my mind (meaning most weren't new), but I hope that doesn't mean they're actually reusing 20 year old, near midi quality music (that main theme is so blatantly not real instruments).

Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped. But not updating the OST is a bit lame.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah they won't stop sending me emails about the fucking trailer.

wPeiG3n.gif

Geki-D

Banned
Ryu's voice actor is horrendous. There are AI voices that sound less robotic than him. Actually an amazing accomplishment. Will play with Japanese voices.
I hate that they brought that guy back. He was always bad and he doesn't even sound like he originally did. Seems he can't even do the voice anymore so there was no point in using him in any possible sense.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They sent me three emails with this today :)

They also sent me the tracking information for my PS4 disc so that's exciting. USPS is slow to update so the status is still blank, but it feels good knowing it's on the way.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm kinda tired of hearing this doesn't look like AAA material.

Not every game can be AAA, really. If you so desperately want Shenmue to be that, then just buy this game and convince other people to try it. It's not gonna sell 5 million copies, but the first Shenmue sold over a million. If we can get Shenmue III to sell that much, then we might get number IV.

Still, very very happy that this game is even happening. I'm super curious to know what's gonna happen next in the story. I would have been thrilled with a simple comic book. So the fact we're actually getting a whole game is beyond exciting to me. Way above any expectations I ever had.

Bkdk

As long as it isn’t too bad, will buy since I love this type of games, should still have quite a lot of fun despite being a very flawed experience.

Fnord

Shenmue is what Shenmue is. Top notch voice talent, super fluid, realistic animations, action packed story... that's NOT what Shenmue is. I'm excited for this (and backed the Kickstarter the moment it was announced) because it is what it is. If they had changed too much of its DNA, I'd have been disappointed. This almost makes me want to bust out my Dreamcast and tinker around with the first game a bit. Almost. ;)

Kazza

While it's a decent trailer for Shenmue fans, I still don't think they are doing enough to attract new players. I think they should at least re-do Ryo father's death scene from the first game in the new engine and include that in the first 30 seconds of the trailer. It's hard for prospective players to get into the whole martial arts revenge plot without seeing that scene first.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
While it's a decent trailer for Shenmue fans, I still don't think they are doing enough to attract new players. I think they should at least re-do Ryo father's death scene from the first game in the new engine and include that in the first 30 seconds of the trailer. It's hard for prospective players to get into the whole martial arts revenge plot without seeing that scene first.
There's a recap video you can watch before starting the game. Iwao's death is included in the video. Besides, Ryo talks about his father's death very near the beginning of the game. But I agree, it would have been so much more impactful had they remade that scene.

However, I don't think they had a dime to waste and something like that would have been expensive. I think they probably cut a lot of other things too. The transition between scenes is not as smooth as before. You can really feel how tight the budget must have been.

In a way, it's the opposite situation compared to the old ones.

wolywood

Shenmue is what Shenmue is. Top notch voice talent, super fluid, realistic animations, action packed story... that's NOT what Shenmue is. I'm excited for this (and backed the Kickstarter the moment it was announced) because it is what it is. If they had changed too much of its DNA, I'd have been disappointed. This almost makes me want to bust out my Dreamcast and tinker around with the first game a bit. Almost. ;)

Exactly. We have the Yakuza series for all the stuff you mentioned that Shenmue is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom