• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III | The Story goes on - Launch Trailer

Kazza

There's a recap video you can watch before starting the game. Iwao's death is included in the video. Besides, Ryo talks about his father's death very near the beginning of the game. But I agree, it would have been so much more impactful had they remade that scene.

However, I don't think they had a dime to waste and something like that would have been expensive. I think they probably cut a lot of other things too. The transition between scenes is not as smooth as before. You can really feel how tight the budget must have been.

In a way, it's the opposite situation compared to the old ones.

Oh, I know about the recap that will be included with the game, but I think showing LanDi's cold, arrogant face as he kills your father in your own home would help explain the whole revenge plot of the series to people who haven't yet decided to buy the game. I often wonder what newbies think of the game after only watching the trailers, it must be confusing. A Korean going by the online name of NoconKid already recreated the relevant locations from Shenmue 1 in this video. His videos impressed so much that he actually joined the Shenmue 3 team a couple of years back, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind them using his "remake" material.

Anyhow, it's all too late now. I hope new players looking for a slower-paced martial arts adventure give it a chance.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Oh, I know about the recap that will be included with the game, but I think showing LanDi's cold, arrogant face as he kills your father in your own home would help explain the whole revenge plot of the series to people who haven't yet decided to buy the game. I often wonder what newbies think of the game after only watching the trailers, it must be confusing. A Korean going by the online name of NoconKid already recreated the relevant locations from Shenmue 1 in this video. His videos impressed so much that he actually joined the Shenmue 3 team a couple of years back, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind them using his "remake" material.

Anyhow, it's all too late now. I hope new players looking for a slower-paced martial arts adventure give it a chance.

Very interesting. I've seen the recap video. It's good, it would have been awesome if we had modern graphics for the scenes. Sadly that didn't happen. I really don't know if this game's gonna succeed, its a little weird compared to most modern games. Let's see how the critics rate it.

Last edited:

Kazza

Very interesting. I've seen the recap video. It's good, it would have been awesome if we had modern graphics for the scenes. Sadly that didn't happen. I really don't know if this game's gonna succeed, its a little weird compared to most modern games. Let's see how the critics rate it.

It will be interesting to compare the reaction to that of Death Stranding. They are both genre-defying games, although DS obviously has a much bigger budget and more hype amongst the general public. In a fair and just world Yu Suzuki would be as famous as Kojima, but unfortunately that isn't the case. From the sounds of it, Shenmue 3 is probably more accessible than DS and isn't nearly as "weird". Hopefully it will find a new audience with martial arts/fighting game fans, as well as the adventure/story-based games crowd.

jonnyp

I'm glad they brought him back. It wouldn't be the same if they changed it up.

True, it would've been better without him.

Why anyone would want shit voice acting just because of nostalgia is beyond me.

Last edited:

Azelover

It will be interesting to compare the reaction to that of Death Stranding. They are both genre-defying games, although DS obviously has a much bigger budget and more hype amongst the general public. In a fair and just world Yu Suzuki would be as famous as Kojima, but unfortunately that isn't the case. From the sounds of it, Shenmue 3 is probably more accessible than DS and isn't nearly as "weird". Hopefully it will find a new audience with martial arts/fighting game fans, as well as the adventure/story-based games crowd.
Kojima has had more luck with his more recent games, money wise. But Yu's games have had an incredible impact on the medium. Most people don't know this, but it was Virtua Fighter that inspired Kutaragi to make the PS1 hardware focus on 3D polygons. And then Shenmue with the QTEs and the open world design. In my opinion, he deserves a LOT of praise. Much more than he actually gets.

Without Yu, gaming wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today..

Last edited:

The Snake

Kojima has had more luck with his more recent games, money wise. But Yu's games have had an incredible impact on the medium. Most people don't know this, but it was Virtua Fighter that inspired Kutaragi to make the PS1 hardware focus on 3D polygons. And then Shenmue with the QTEs and the open world design. In my opinion, he deserves a LOT of praise. Much more than he actually gets.

Without Yu, gaming wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today..

Hell, even before that. His work on early 3D arcade experiences elevated the medium and were the cause of many, many imitators. Both he and Kojima have always thought of games as mediums that could and should do more than just be playthings, and I agree that they both deserve equal fame and success.

Azelover

Hell, even before that. His work on early 3D arcade experiences elevated the medium and were the cause of many, many imitators. Both he and Kojima have always thought of games as mediums that could and should do more than just be playthings, and I agree that they both deserve equal fame and success.
Very true. I was looking up his games, and I don't think he ever made a game with 2D gameplay. Even his earlier work, which was sprite-based, all had 3D gameplay in them. Pseudo-3D at best. None of his games have been purely 2D. As far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

Azelover

What face animation?
I don't think it's that bad, to be quite honest. I mean, look back a game like MGS2. I know it's really far back. But remember all of those conversations over codec? The acting was basically just the voice. The character's mouths would open and close, and that was basically it for the animations.

I can still enjoy those games. So there's no reason I couldn't enjoy Shenmue III for what it is.

Top Bottom