• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III to debut new footage, updates, and announcements at Gamescom 2017

JimiNutz

Banned
As much as I'm excited for Shenmue 3 I am still so disappointed that we aren't getting Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.

What the fuck Sega! Cash in on the Shenmue 3 hype you absolute fools!!! I really want to play Shenmue 1 and 2 again before Shenmue 3 but I no longer own any platforms that I can play them on.

JimiNutz

Banned
Who has said we arnt getting them...

Where the hell are they???
If they were real it would have surely leaked by now. If Sega do release them it'll probably be AFTER Shenmue 3 has launched which completely defeats the purpose of them in the first place (for me anyway).

_Ryo_

Booked and ready to hit Cologne next month.

Shenmue fans are not gonna wanna miss it.
How would you know? Could be thensame kinda clips we got at Monaco. Very Cool but nothing hugely substanial.

I Personally dont expect like a big rereveal or anything. Just small clips. Not a full trailer

Where the hell are they???
If they were real it would have surely leaked by now. If Sega do release them it'll probably be AFTER Shenmue 3 has launched which completely defeats the purpose of them in the first place (for me anyway).

Patience. Remember your 4 Wude. Perhaps they haven't leaked because they are in the hands of a very professional studio who don't let their stuff leak? Why does everything have to be a leak these days.

Spaghetti

How would you know? Could be thensame kinda clips we got at Monaco. Very Cool but nothing hugely substanial.

I Personally dont expect like a big rereveal or anything. Just small clips. Not a full trailer
We're seeing more than in Monaco last year; count on it.

Spaghetti

That announcement better be Shenmue 1 and 2 HD collection.
SEGA are in control of that happening/not happening, not YSnet.

Although it would be the most likely opportunity for SEGA to unveil the HD collection, if rumours of it being basically done are true.

_Ryo_

We're seeing more than in Monaco last year; count on it.

I think it will be about the same. Instead of quick clips of Shenha's house, fishing pond, forest, and pebble path, we'll quick get clips of Tulous, shops, a phone booth, maybe a few NPC, etc. Absolutely no appearance of main characters.

Spaghetti

I think it will be about the same. Instead of quick clips of Shenha's house, fishing pond, forest, and pebble path, we'll quick get clips of Tulous, shops, a phone booth, maybe a few NPC, etc. Absolutely no appearance of main characters.
Japan dinner backers saw more than that last year, and that footage will be around 14 months old come August.

_Ryo_

Japan dinner backers saw more than that last year, and that footage will be around 14 months old come August.

I believe that type of footage will remaim exclusive to those backers until the game is very close to being finished. I dont think YSnet want to give too much away to the general public right now.

I could be wrong but I find it is best for me to personally temper expectations.

Spaghetti

I believe that type of footage will remaim exclusive to those backers until the game is very close to being finished. I dont think YSnet want to give too much away to the general public right now.
If I'm remembering correctly (ShenmueGuru can step in and correct me if I'm wrong), but Japan dinner backers were also told they'd see that footage again "and more" at the aborted PSX 2016 showing. Whether that's the case now or not is unknown, but I don't expect them to have radically changed their minds a year later.

I think when the details of how/where Shenmue III is being shown come out, we can raise/lower expectations accordingly.

Personally, I think we're just waiting on Sony to confirm a conference. They're almost certainly the partners talked about in the update considering Shibuya Productions aren't the ones showcasing Shenmue III at Gamescom.

Spaghetti

News via the latest KS update:

Today we would like to share details about Shenmue III at gamescom 2017 which will be held at Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany this August. Yu Suzuki himself will of course be there to give the latest news about Shenmue III's development!

Shenmue III at Gamescom 2017

The business area

We will be participating in the business area. The area is limited to media and other business members of the game industry. Unfortunately, general admittance visitors cannot enter this area. For the latest on-site info, we please ask you to check the various media outlets.

The entertainment area

This area is open to the public. We have no events planned for this venue at the moment, but we are communicating with the organizers to see if we can do something with the fans in this area. Should we have an event in the entertainment area, we will notify you with the details as soon as possible.

Metalgus

Banned
I feel that this update is targeted towards the fans that are planning to travel to Cologne to attend Gamescom in that it tells them to moderate their expectations because no event is currently planned on the public side of the convention. Am I reading this right?

Kiske

I feel that this update is targeted towards the fans that are planning to travel to Cologne to attend Gamescom in that it tells them to moderate their expectations because no event is currently planned on the public side of the convention. Am I reading this right?

That doesn't seem to be an eccentric feeling to me.

That said, remember that YsNet are clearly trying to do something for the fans going to Gamescom:
we are communicating with the organizers to see if we can do something with the fans in this area. Should we have an event in the entertainment area, we will notify you with the details as soon as possible.

Spaghetti

Seems like it.

I don't think they want people travelling unnecessarily when they don't have a public booth, but are trying to get something together for those who already made plans/live locally/Shenmue fans who already were attending. Seems pretty obvious from the update.

No idea why some games media sites are implying it'll be a completely private showing with nothing distributed publicly. The update explicitly says to keep an eye on news outlets while the show is happening.

Looks like they observed that a shit-ton of fans are attending Gamescom, so they're trying to manage expectations.

On a semi-related note I have some money coming in soon, so I'm going to support the game via the slacker backer site. PS4 physical edition here I come.

Was super broke at the time of the KS so better late than never I suppose.

If I'm remembering correctly (ShenmueGuru can step in and correct me if I'm wrong), but Japan dinner backers were also told they'd see that footage again "and more" at the aborted PSX 2016 showing. Whether that's the case now or not is unknown, but I don't expect them to have radically changed their minds a year later.

I think when the details of how/where Shenmue III is being shown come out, we can raise/lower expectations accordingly.

Personally, I think we're just waiting on Sony to confirm a conference. They're almost certainly the partners talked about in the update considering Shibuya Productions aren't the ones showcasing Shenmue III at Gamescom.

Sorry for missing this.

After we were shown the trailer at the back of the bus, I was having a chat with one of the executive producers. I asked him roughly at that stage what the total percentage was at that point of completion (which I don't feel comfortable saying since I don't like spreading rumors and whatnot), and as we were taking the topic turned to how they will proceed with promoting it. Basically in response to showing it at big events, he said "very soon", and his eyes lit up and nodded. I took that as PSX since it was next on the list and seemed the right fit. Either way, the rest is history. I think they wanted to, but you do learn that in game development, plans change. It's as simple as that.

They could somehow scrap Gamescom for all we know, although that's extremely unlikely since they went public about it, and from what I know, this was planned before E3. Either way I will be there, and just waiting on my press accreditation to hopefully be approved for the event.

I'm not sure a playable build is quite there yet. Last I seen, the in game movement mechanics were just this from Shenmue 2. But then again that was almost a year ago. Who knows, perhaps there will be, which could be announced to be released very soon in the form of the backers' demo.

I personally think it's an onstage trailer reveal, perhaps a talk maybe, and also a big announcement. Again, who knows. But it's exciting for all Shenmue fans. Get hype!

Spaghetti

I don't think anybody is expecting hands-on playable. It's not out of character for a game with potentially another year and a half left until release, let alone for a first proper reveal.

Feeling pretty confident about seeing gameplay regardless, though. The footage from February showed they were getting deep into play-testing questlines, and we know other core mechanics like combat and conversational systems have been in the works since late 2015.

Kiske

I don't think anybody is expecting hands-on playable.

Not hands-on playable but I too hope for some rough gameplay portions.
To be honest, I'm expecting the very first previews of the game to be published at Gamescom.

If the game makes it for a December 2018 release, there's less than a year and a half of development left. Just think of implementing the demo feedbacks, debugging, etc...

If the game makes it for a December 2018 release, I would say that at end of August there will be one year of development ahead, at most.

ajim

God I'm so excited guys. I still can't believe Shenmue 3 is happening. It's amazing. Unreal.

Ah man... Magic.

JPS Kai

SEGA are in control of that happening/not happening, not YSnet.

Although it would be the most likely opportunity for SEGA to unveil the HD collection, if rumours of it being basically done are true.

They'll most likely wait until Kiwami drops before making any noise.

jobrro

I funded this game for $100 on KS. Still happy to wait. Not that it has been long, I mean 3 or 4 years would be the minimum for this sort of project.

Can't wait for the Sega remasters though. Release those guys.

Spaghetti

They'll most likely wait until Kiwami drops before making any noise.
Attempting synergy with the first reveal of III would outrank not clashing with Yakuza. They can coexist just fine.

It's not like the two would be launching together anyway, unless SEGA did an "available now!" with the remasters.

Honestly there's a few things on my mind about this:

1) We know they had something major planned for PSX last year at some point, though we also know that plan changed for some unknown reason meaning it's highly likely that at Gamescom, they're going to have something substantial to show by now

2) If a rough-cut, early trailer from well over a year ago can make Peter's jaw drop and blow him away, then Christ - what they could potentially show a vast amount of time later is likely to be something pretty fucking significant and amazing

3) Everything they showed at Magic Monaco in what feels like forever ago now, looked pretty astounding particularly given the very limited amount of development at the time. I remember being absolutely blown away by those screenshots. God knows what they could have ready by now.

4) They've announced their appearance at Gamescom publicly - to 70K backers on Kickstarter to start with, and also to the wider gaming sphere and mainstream press. They're going to have something substantial to show and it's hopefully going to make our jaws drop just like Peter's did.

Call me an optimistic, but I have full faith in Yu Suzuki, who is a gaming legend as far as I'm concerned, and the ex-AM2 team he's assembled. I'm confident in the quality of their project and I think going so public and given they've been working insane hours on the game for the longest time - we're going to be blown away.

So excited for Gamescom. Sonic Mania drops around the same time. Awesome time for old-school Sega fans.

Spaghetti

I'd say an optimistic view is the one to take for what they've got to show at Gamescom.

In terms of volume of content alone, it's going to be the most extensive look at Shenmue III we've had so far. The last update alluded to a press showing, so it just stands to reason YSnet have prepared something that will form the basis of early previews.

When it comes to actually what they've got to show... I know it's not a verifiable measurement of quality, but I believe the hard work, dedication, and love put into making III happen will shine through in the game. I don't think the team would be making the huge personal sacrifices (Yu Suzuki especially) if it wasn't.

I'd say an optimistic view is the one to take for what they've got to show at Gamescom.

In terms of volume of content alone, it's going to be the most extensive look at Shenmue III we've had so far. The last update alluded to a press showing, so it just stands to reason YSnet have prepared something that will form the basis of early previews.

When it comes to actually what they've got to show... I know it's not a verifiable measurement of quality, but I believe the hard work, dedication, and love put into making III happen will shine through in the game. I don't think the team would be making the huge personal sacrifices (Yu Suzuki especially) if it wasn't.

Excellent post as usual man. I agree - we have every reason to be optimistic and what they're going to show is probably going to blow us all away. I think Yu Suzuki's statement in his most recent KS video resonates the most - that the game is becoming "more beautiful" than he ever imagined. That alone gives me reassurance and hope that the game will eventually turn out to be awesome - and a worthy successor to the masterpieces that are Shenmue 1 and 2.

So looking forward to Gamescom. Sonic Mania also drops August 15, so just before the event. Amazing month for Sega fans.

Top Bottom