• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto to unveil Pikmin Movies at Tokyo Festival?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Pikmin always struck me as a franchise with room for more than one type of product. Movies or shorts are cool, but what I'd really love is additional types of gameplay taking place in the Pikmin universe.

Zubz

Banned
Nice! I was wondering what happened to this. I can't wait to see them!

... Although we're probably not going to officially get them in America, are we?

Nzyme32

Pikmin would make a great movie. Would be more excited for it if Miyamoto was throwing his weight behind it in terms of producing or directing

Hiltz

Cool news. Wasn't sure if we'd see it anytime soon.

Miyamoto talked about the videos back in 2013, here's his comments:

"We were working on several Pikmin CG animated videos and wanted more people to be able to see them. I had gone to a movie theater and saw the videos telling people to turn off their cell phones and thought we could create a Pikmin version of that, but instead decided to do the 3D glasses video.They'll be released sometime before the release of Pikmin 3, possibly as a Nintendo video. If they're popular we could consider selling them. I didn't want to license our characters out to someone else to create films, Instead, since I used to draw four-panel comics when I was younger, I thought it would be fun to bring a four-panel comic approach to creating video content, so we started work on these Pikmin videos."

"We didn't have a good opportunity to announce that we were doing this, so while we were working on the movies we also created the Pikmin video that opened our E3 presentation last year."

“The truth is for the past two years, I’ve been spending more time on the Pikmin anime than the game.We’d like people to develop a more fond connection with the Pikmin themselves. In fact, at last year’s E3 many of the Pikmin things we passed around were made from elements we used for the Pikmin anime. Furthermore, since December of last year at Toho Cinema movie theaters, there are Pikmin in the logo shown before movies. Even during the parts where they ask people to please put on their 3D glasses, there are Bulborbs running around. These are one piece of the things we’ve done in preparation for the anime.”

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wonder how many Pikmin were harmed in the making of the movie?

This means Pikmin isn't dead and we're getting a part 4 soon with online support right? Right!?????

We just got Pikmin 3 after years of waiting and you want to start another one?

Count me in.

rawktapus

EarthBound/Mother movie by Studio Ghibli. Ready for the mind blast!

EDIT: I wish! Because it's a perfect fit.

As great as that would be, I think a Studio Laika one would be cool as well. Also play to the strength of the clay promo artwork by making it stop-motion.

Zubz

Banned
We just got Pikmin 3 after years of waiting and you want to start another one?

Count me in.

Hey, Pikmin 3 wasn't supposed to take nearly as long as it did; prototypes for Pikmin 3 date back to the GBA, so I doubt the 9 year wait was intentional. 4's still gonna be awhile, though; at the very least, we know Miyamoto's full-on working on Star Fox and those 2 prototypes that I'm willing to wager are ultimately just going to be a part of Star Fox, and I'm assuming he's supervising upcoming games. Let's hope it's more like him helping with Prime, and less like him "helping" with Sticker Star and Luigi's Mansion 2.

So long as I get Pikmin sometime in the foreseeable future, though, I'll be satisfied. It's one of my favorite Nintendo IPs, so it could honestly just be Pikmin 3.5 where you play as Olimar & Louie and I'll still pick it up.

Top Bottom