• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Avalon

Kweh said:
Dusted off Nocturne and have no idea where I need to go. I'm at a location called Assembly of Nihilo and it won't let me in. I'm not far into the game, think I just left a place called Giza(?).

Quite hard to come back to this after months away.

Head back to town and head to the pub... Talk to Nyx and you should be able to manage the rest.

Kweh

Avalon said:
Head back to town and head to the pub... Talk to Nyx and you should be able to manage the rest.

Thanks.

This game is evil, doing a bit of grinding so I can defeat the Matador in Ginza Underground, and I was doing okay until I fought some flying dudes and one of them cast a spell and made me disappear and it was game over :s

Avalon

Kweh said:
Thanks.

This game is evil, doing a bit of grinding so I can defeat the Matador in Ginza Underground, and I was doing okay until I fought some flying dudes and one of them cast a spell and made me disappear and it was game over :s

Hama is a bitch. Little tip... Try to have a demon that has analyze for now and scan ever new enemy you encounter... that way you will know it's skill set and will be able to plan accordingly. Eventually you'll gain and infinite use item that does analyze.

So I beat The Harlot, The Four Horseman, and The Trumpeteer this weekend and I'm surprised by how easy they were, save for the Trumpeteer. Maybe it's because I beat them relatively late in the game (I'm at Yurakucho tunnel) or maybe its because I had Daisoujou (bless his soul) but I beat most of them on my second try. A lot of them have nearly the same defenses so it's not hard to prep a party. That Trumpeteer was frustrating though since it was hard to regulate my HP for my "pawn" since most of my healers had either "med" level healing spells or "diarahan". Holy Melody made things even worse.

Avalon

zoukka said:
I didnt finish Nocturne but im considering Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 so how do they differ from Nocturne. More grinding, more storytelling etc ? And give some spoiler free tips if there are some nasty gamekillers in these titles.

The overall style and tight difficulty are my main carrots for purchasing these...

They are incredibly linear and have more storytelling sequences. They do have more grinding... the skill progression system sort of demands it (which is unfortunate). It's a lot more forgiving all around. Constant save and restore points. You can swap skills anytime and you never lose skills. Dungeons and normal battles are generally easier then Nocturne. The only thing that's on par and maybe even more difficult at times are the boss battles. Most have these patterns you must memorize and exploit.

Pretty much just a traditional RPG with Nocturne's battle system and dungeon design.

Obturator

Banned
My copy of nocturne is scratched and I still payed money for a professional to remove them. Thats how much I love the game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the fiends really make Nocturne a lot easier, because they have a lot of inmunities and great spells/skills at their disposal.

hyp

here's where i am in DDS2:
serph & sera just mated and became one, now i'm in space
. how much game do i have left?

Avalon

hyp said:
here's where i am in DDS2:
serph & sera just mated and became one, now i'm in space
. how much game do i have left?

Your at the last dungeon pretty much. Get ready for for some incredibly challenging boss battles.

hyp

*cries*

thanks guys. don't want it to end. =[ (at least i've got nocturne next -- never played it)

Currently playing Devil summoner (ps2) while waiting for persona 3 to come out.

This game is a blast. Loving the lighter atmosphere and the cheesiness of everything.

I'm at about chapter 5, and rasputin is pretty awesome. Hoping to wrap this up by the end of next week

Soulhouf

kingofthreadsbj2.jpg

Kweh

The Oni boss fights in Ikebukuro Tunnel are pretty difficult, I managed to defeat the first boss, Sui-Ki but the next one is pretty tough, physical attacks do paltry single digit damage to him, so have to rely on magic...which I don't really have much of, considering he also uses a Lower Magic Attack debuff aswell, the fight is all the more harder.

Any tips? I'm using Main dude with Shock, Matador with fire spell and Valkyrie with Agi, then Unicorn healing. Are there better demons out there for magic? Is there a +Magic Attack buff I need to get?

Reilly

Kweh said:
The Oni boss fights in Ikebukuro Tunnel are pretty difficult, I managed to defeat the first boss, Sui-Ki but the next one is pretty tough, physical attacks do paltry single digit damage to him, so have to rely on magic...which I don't really have much of, considering he also uses a Lower Magic Attack debuff aswell, the fight is all the more harder.

Any tips? I'm using Main dude with Shock, Matador with fire spell and Valkyrie with Agi, then Unicorn healing. Are there better demons out there for magic? Is there a +Magic Attack buff I need to get?

You need WAY better demons. What level are you?

The demons aren't the problem...it's the skill set. At this point in time you should've caught some type of demon with at LEAST a mid-level magic spell. If you don't have any, continue in the story then come back and fight them. They'll always be there.

Try to pick monsters with -kaja skills and -nda skills as well. Those spells can easily turn the tide of battle since most monsters at this point only have Dekunda or Dekaja (rarely both).

Try to have a decent variety.

Souther

Banned
I am actually fighting these same oni aswell..

I have managed to kill 1 already(Kin-ki i believe was the name)

My party consists right now of lvl 38 Main, a lvl 35 Koumoku, lvl 29 Minikata, and a lvl 38 Berith and i switch out with a lvl 28 Uzume for healing purposes.

out of these characters there are 3 tarukuja, 1 dekuja, 1 fogbreath, 1 warcry, 1 sukukaja, 1 rakunda, 2 focus

Plus mazio, firebreath, icebreath fireboost...zionga so i should be ok.

hyp

completed DDS2 this past weekend. :bow :bow

don't know how i survived meganada at lvl 62! next up, nocturne.

Souther

Banned
Kweh said:
I do believe I have gone wrong somewhere then ;)

I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off soon.

btw..do you remember what you fused to get yourself a Valkyrie? I'd like to see what its like.

Kweh

Souther said:
I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off soon.

btw..do you remember what you fused to get yourself a Valkyrie? I'd like to see what its like.

I don't think I fused it, my Dis just evolved into it after a while

Souther

Banned
yes your right..

but i found out you can create 1 by fusing a High Pixie and Eligor.

I did that and then did a sacrifice summon of a Minikata i believe and it put her up to lvl 37 then i gained 1 lvl and she gained alot of skills and then evolved.

Valkyrie is pretty awesome.

Reilly

pancakesandsex said:
lookie what i found

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/pancakesandsex/DSC00034.jpg[IMG]

SMT 2 - brand new
SMT if... - brand new
[/QUOTE]

weren't those reprinted?

Reilly said:
weren't those reprinted?

If they were they were still 4800 yen

they arent marked as atlus best, so if its a reprint its just "another pressing" and not a best release or re-release.

Oh and they are on old ass ps1 cases

Avalon

This might sound like an odd request... Can anyone boot up Nocturne on their PS2 and check what it reads when you try to buy Medicine? I'm playing it on my PS3 right now and it looks like it's cutting of a bit of the text. I tried all the settings and even back to composite/component and it's all the same. I would try it myself, but I no longer have a PS2.

Anyhow, I forgot how impossible it is to make money early on... everything I make is going towards fixing up battered allies. :(

Sagitario

Avalon said:
This might sound like an odd request... Can anyone boot up Nocturne on their PS2 and check what it reads when you try to buy Medicine? I'm playing it on my PS3 right now and it looks like it's cutting of a bit of the text. I tried all the settings and even back to composite/component and it's all the same. I would try it myself, but I no longer have a PS2.

Anyhow, I forgot how impossible it is to make money early on... everything I make is going towards fixing up battered allies. :(

I can try it tomorrow :) ...

Q: When can you make more money?

Sagitario

Farore said:
Avalon said:

I can try it tomorrow :) ...

Q: When can you make more money?

Ok... I tried... this is what it reads:

Code:
         HELP
-----------------------
|Heals a fixed amount [B]·[/B]|
|1 Ally                |
-----------------------

I tried with composite, got an underscanned image... there seems to be a white dot after "amount"...
Everything else appear to be complete...

I just looked into Nocturne. Are you fucking kidding me? How in the hell is this game so rare that you can't get it for less than $100? It just came out last gen. Seriously, what the fuck?

Sagitario

Green Shinobi said:
I just looked into Nocturne. Are you fucking kidding me? How in the hell is this game so rare that you can't get it for less than $100? It just came out last gen. Seriously, what the fuck?

Hardcore game from Atlus. Printed in limited quantities.

Farore said:
Hardcore game from Atlus. Printed in limited quantities.
I'm thinking I might buy it for whatever it costs on ebay, play it through once, then try to sell it again for what I paid for it. Is this game really that good?

Green Shinobi said:
I'm thinking I might buy it for whatever it costs on ebay, play it through once, then try to sell it again for what I paid for it. Is this game really that good?
One of if not the best JRPG of last gen. Hell even current gen can't touch it.

Joe Molotov

I have all the Shin Megami Tensei games for the PS2 and Persona 1 & 2, but I've never beaten any of them. :( I'm going to try to finish Persona 3, and then I might go back and start Nocturne again.

Sagitario

LiquidMetal14 said:
What is the name of that one that is Shin Megami Tensei VS something? I seen it sealed for 30. Worth it?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raido vs the Soulless Army

Sagitario

NotMSRP said:
It is a good pickup for $30.

At least for collection purposes, specially for $30, it is (Megaten games become rare and expensive after a few months in the market).
I haven't opened my copy yet (bough it in November of last year for $50) so I can talk about specific in game stuff...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Super shoryuken bump...

I was at a BOOK OFF today and I saw the Japanese OSTs for Persona 1 and what looks like some sort of Megaten game for PCE-CD? Are those hard to find at all, worth any good money?

I'm gonna probably buy em' and keep em, but it'd be nice to know if they were worth something...

Top Bottom