• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I won't let you kill this awesome thread again!

Now since in the US, the SMT monker covers pretty much all Megaten games, I'd like to talk a bit about the Persona 4 OST.

It is fucking awesome.

End praise/rant.

daemonic

Banned
Was thinking about getting Persona 3 today but instead started up a new game of Nocturne (on Normal since I don't even want to imagine what Difficult is like).

Just finished the battle with the Matador who almost kicked my ass, but luckily I managed to get through it. So far I've got Unicorn, Baphomet and Uzume on my team. God I love this game.

Yaweee

MarkMan said:
I won't let you kill this awesome thread again!

Now since in the US, the SMT monker covers pretty much all Megaten games, I'd like to talk a bit about the Persona 4 OST.

It is fucking awesome.

End praise/rant.

It is awesome, so very very awesome.

Best title screen/music ever? Probably.

Best victory theme ever? Definitely?

I really, really like the battle them. It sounds so good when it loops properly.

ezekial45 said:
Will we ever see a SMT IV? As much as i like Persona, i'd like to see a return to this particular series. Especially after the turn Nocturne took.

We will. Next-gen SMT4 feels like one of the world's worst kept secrets, and Kaneko (Creative Director of Nocturne) hasn't done anything the last two years, despite still being an employee of Atlus. Well, hasn't done anything except write rants about currency for the Atlusnet webpage. Persona 3/FES, Trauma Center Wii, and Etrian Odyssey have been Atlus' biggest hits ever, I believe, so they have a lot of capital to pursue numerous projects. There have also been hints of a dungeon crawling SMT based on the EO engine, which would be fantastic.

Oh, and you should all keep in mind the following: How many upcoming games does Atlus Japan have announced, as in development?

0. Nada. Zilch. The JP version of TC2 is still coming up, but the game is done as far as full development is concerned. So... now what? Atlus tends not to announce games until shortly before their release, so we shall have to wait a while for the awesomeness.

(Fans of the non-Persona 3 SMT games should play Etrian Odyssey 2. There is a lot of bleed-through between the series, both EO's taking from SMT, and Persona 4 taking stuff back from the EO series.)

ezekial45

Banned
Will we ever see a SMT IV? As much as i like Persona, i'd like to see a return to this particular series. Especially after the turn Nocturne took.

starblade

Atlus has had a surprising level of success these past couple of years (thanks in large part to Persona 3) and I don't think leaving their flagship rpg series behind is part of their plan...

Teknoman

Man I cant wait until people start doing those OST posts on youtube. Anyway SMT IV is going to blow everyone away. That im sure of.

ezekial45

Banned
starblade said:
Atlus has had a surprising level of success these past couple of years (thanks in large part to Persona 3) and I don't think leaving their flagship rpg series behind is part of their plan...

What do you mean? They had big success with Nocturne. Not as big as P3 obviously, but still enough to warrant another game in the series.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
Man I cant wait until people start doing those OST posts on youtube. Anyway SMT IV is going to blow everyone away. That im sure of.

They've already started OST posts on YouTube, I saw the boss theme and battle theme earlier, along with some other tracks.

Yaweee

Whatever Kaneko's been working on has been in development for over two years now. With how Atlus announces a game only months before release, it isn't inconceivable that it might be out by year's end. Unlikely, but Atlus has shown no aversion to releasing SMT games only months apart (DS3 and P3 were separate by, what, three or four months?)

We could be in for another surprise spin-off, though it is kind of hard to imagine what RPG sub-genre they could be aiming for. Card-RPG, perhaps? Hey, Atlus could probably do it well. (Blasphemy, I know.)

Well there's no doubt that Atlus has been working on it... they wouldn't abandon their mainline flagship franchise. They can make Persona games 'till the end of time, but the main SMT games are where the cash really comes in.

Yaweee

ZephyrFate said:
Well there's no doubt that Atlus has been working on it... they wouldn't abandon their mainline flagship franchise. They can make Persona games 'till the end of time, but the main SMT games are where the cash really comes in.

Huh? That isn't born out by sales data, as far as I can tell.

Yaweee

Himuro said:
If the next SMT is anything Persona related I'll be pissed but then crack a smile. Dammit!

The anime expo conference says that Kaneko doesn't work on the Persona series anymore because they are supposed to be warmer and more personable, while his art designs tend to be cold and detached. Whatever he's working on, it ain't another Persona game.

Teknoman

zoku88 said:
I'm ready for a new SMT game :mad: I'm sure I'll be kinda tired of Persona for a while after P4 :mad:

Definatly. I like the Persona side of things, and its cool to see familiar demons & divine beings throughout the series, but i'd like a current gen system SMT game. SMT IV or a new secondary series to be precise. Of course we know Devil Summoner 2 is due after P4.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate bump, but I've recently started playing Nocturne, and I didn't see a LTTP thread for it.

This is my first SMT game, and only my second Atlus RPG, after Etrian Odyssey. The environments are pretty bland, but the character designs and music and plot so far are top notch.

Anyway, I made it past the Matador, which is apparently a key chokepoint for newbs, but now I'm stuck on Thor, and I don't have the Null: Elec Magatama, because he drops it! Anyone have any tips on which demons I should recruit, or battle strats for him? It's a pain in the ass to go in time after time and kill the first two bosses easily and then get Di-Zion-ga-jajajaja cheesed to death.

Also, what's the deal with the Amala Labyrinth? I went in and cleared out all of the first Kalpa (reminds me of EO), but I didn' t have the candelabrum to go into the second.

Yaweee

Blast Processing said:
Sorry if this is an inappropriate bump, but I've recently started playing Nocturne, and I didn't see a LTTP thread for it.

This is my first SMT game, and only my second Atlus RPG, after Etrian Odyssey. The environments are pretty bland, but the character designs and music and plot so far are top notch.

Anyway, I made it past the Matador, which is apparently a key chokepoint for newbs, but now I'm stuck on Thor, and I don't have the Null: Elec Magatama, because he drops it! Anyone have any tips on which demons I should recruit, or battle strats for him? It's a pain in the ass to go in time after time and kill the first two bosses easily and then get Di-Zion-ga-jajajaja cheesed to death.

Also, what's the deal with the Amala Labyrinth? I went in and cleared out all of the first Kalpa (reminds me of EO), but I didn' t have the candelabrum to go into the second.

In no particular order (or in hindsight, highly ordered):

1) Now that you know you're fighting an electric boss, hit up the Cathedral and see what demons you can fuse that are immune to that element-- that's the general approach for many boss fights. While being immune to the element is not necessary, it helps. Just don't bring in anything immune, and don't be horribly under leveled; there's explicit level dependence underlying the SMT battle algorithms, so even 1 or 2 levels can make a huge difference.

2) You fight more fiends as the game progresses, each of which drop one of the Candelabra necessary to unlock more Kalpa's. The place has quite a bit of backstory, and allows you access to one of the game's endings. Note that you can't make any more progress once you enter the last dungeon, so don't think you can put all of it off til the end.

There's a reason why that place reminds you of EO. The entire place is a throwback to SMT1 and 2, which were first-person Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers, just like EO. Nocturne is more a free-style update to the genre, but there will be points later in the game where you get the same vibe. New Game + even allows you to run around in first person view, and turn at 90 degree angles.

Teknoman

Really cant wait to try out SMT Online. Also with Persona 2: Innocent Sin FINALLY in english (via the translation patch), I kinda expected this topic to resurface (even though the bump was about Nocturne).

Blast Processing said:

The Amala dungeon is an optional dungeon added in Nocturne in the Japanese re-release.

The purpose of the dungeon is:
- To expand upon the mythology of the previous SMT games (SMT1 & SMT2)
- Unlock the extra ending
- Unlock new demons

The proceed to the next kalpa, you need those candles which you receive after defeating the various fiends.

Top Bottom