• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Review Thread

I didn't hate SMTIV, but having played and finished it, I can say that it's a well made RPG that's just not for me. I like my RPG's to have characters that develop more and drive the story more-so than SMTIV's did. Should I skip Apocalypse?

mankoto

http://atlus.com/smtiv-faux-pas-calypse/

As a bunch of people pointed out, an image circulated this weekend of our English build having some unlocalized Japanese text still in it. I’m not gonna link it here because it’s from the battle at the end of the game and could definitely spoil some details for people. Let that also serve as your warning before you go looking for it.

…Yep, it’s in there, along with one other instance of Japanese text. It’s an oversight on our part, and we’re deeply sorry about it. We’ve discussed internally about the possibility of correcting it, and while fixing it is not off the table yet, if it does happen, it won’t be in a timely manner.

Anyhow, just like in SMTIV, partners can get attacked and knocked out. In this particular battle, partners will return after 3 turns, and the errant Japanese text only shows up if you get to a point where the boss gives you a dialogue option WHILE your partner is KO’d. Our testers, who have been with the company for quite awhile, and who are well-versed in all things SMT (I think a few of them also were QA for the original SMTIV) were so good, they never ran into the situation of having an unconscious partner during the fight, and henceforth the dialogue in question.

Soriku

Our testers, who have been with the company for quite awhile, and who are well-versed in all things SMT (I think a few of them also were QA for the original SMTIV) were so good, they never ran into the situation of having an unconscious partner during the fight, and henceforth the dialogue in question.

Basically the solution is to git gud

Par for the course for Atlus. A lot of their games have something similar. Soul hackers and Persona 3 for instance. This is on top of misaligned text (Devil Survivor), Empty text boxes (SMT IV) or glitched text string (SMT iOS).

On the flip side, the games are relatively bug free for me. I'll take that over some untranslated stuff. It's not like QA is perfect and localization is a hard task.

But yeah this is pretty funny.

LProtag

Dammit, I guess I got pretty spoiled then by seeing someone post the image somewhere. Oh well, still excited for the game tomorrow.

CazTGG

Review's late, but it's finally up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5W4Rb555TM

Spoilers: It's a huge continuation of the refinement/accessibility of Shin Megami Tensei IV mixed in with surprisingly strong characters, a marked improvement in dungeon design and some subtly sly writing that takes a good look at the series traditions, namely its questionable understanding of humanism.

Top Bottom