• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin'en: FAST Racing NEO (Wii U) Neo Future Pack DLC Trailer

batbeg

Nano was a port up to WiiU to begin with, as was Art of Balance. FRN is the only game they've actually made purely for the WiiU and I think they had to push deep into its core to actually get the game to work as it does. This would complicate porting.

That said, ya, sales being trash probably make it a meaningless proposition from the get-go. And they recently confirmed their next project is with Nintendo.

I think they've said a lot of their tech is super scalable and easy to port, but I might be imagining that.

Was Nano even a port job to begin with though? I know it was heavy on shaders for its look but I'd be if anything of it was taken from the 3ds.

Kent

Gameplay-wise, how does this actually compare to F-Zero? Is it particularly technical to play? The technicality of racing and its mechanics are a large part of what set the series apart and made it so enjoyable to me.

Or would playing this still just leave me wishing something could live up to F-Zero GX?

Gameplay-wise, how does this actually compare to F-Zero? Is it particularly technical to play? The technicality of racing and its mechanics are a large part of what set the series apart and made it so enjoyable to me.

Or would playing this still just leave me wishing something could live up to F-Zero GX?

Plays more like Wipeout.

TheMoon

It doesn't play like F-Zero at all. From the feel to the actual race structure. You hardly ever see your opponents, for example. The only actual F-Zero comparison comes from the genre and sci-fi theme.

I keep holding out for a Physical release but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Oh well, guess I can wait for a potential NX port.

Datschge

Like many sci-fi racers the controls hugely depends on the ship used. As this DLC adds 10 more vehicles I think there is a chance Shin'en attempts to satisfy some of the requests for something closer to F-Zero.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nano was a port up to WiiU to begin with, as was Art of Balance. FRN is the only game they've actually made purely for the WiiU and I think they had to push deep into its core to actually get the game to work as it does. This would complicate porting.

That said, ya, sales being trash probably make it a meaningless proposition from the get-go. And they recently confirmed their next project is with Nintendo.

When if I may ask

Its shit. The controls are floaty and imprecise and the AI Cheats the whole time making every race more about Lück than skill

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Its shit. The controls are floaty and imprecise and the AI Cheats the whole time making every race more about Lück than skill

This is a very hyperbolic interpretation of the game. Different cars control differently, some more floaty or more easy to control than others and if you don't make mistakes you pretty much have a guaranteed win, so it's not (just) about luck.

This is the best game of this generation thus far IMO.

I'd really love for it to be ported to PC (or even PS4, but preferably PC). I want to see it at glorious 1080p with AA and AF.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I completely disagree.
It is and feels different from Fzero, but it is way better than the first on Wii in terms of gamelpay and cntrols and I really enjoyed the tracks too. I think it has its own feeling of driving those vehicles.

This is a very hyperbolic interpretation of the game. Different cars control differently, some more floaty or more easy to control than others and if you don't make mistakes you pretty much have a guaranteed win, so it's not (just) about luck.
Bollocks. The AI can and will overtaken you when they feel like it. Perfect Race or not, when the AI decides to overtaken you, you can go Max speed in the fastest vehicle but they'll still Zoom past you like you were driving a VW Polo.

The rubberbanding is insultingly bad. Just watch a speedrun of the game, even when finishing a race in less than 30 seconds, the AI will finish a second behind.

Thats before taking into account that it's unable to accurately tell who's in front when cars are close together.

The game is a mess and it Breaks my heart because I wanted this to be good.

TheMoon

This is the best game of this generation thus far IMO.

I'd really love for it to be ported to PC (or even PS4, but preferably PC). I want to see it at glorious 1080p with AA and AF.

Since you're a junior still, I'll point this out: your post could be considered port-begging which is frowned upon by mods (and others). Can lead to temp bans in some cases. So, careful :)

deleted

I agree. The track design, controls, and core mechanic were all problematic/subpar. I'm not seeing the F-ZERO comparisons outside the superficial, "it's a futuristic racer."

Godspeed to the folks that will enjoy, however.

I haven't played it yet, but the DLC tracks all look similar in design to F-Zero GX tracks of yore.

All the while the gameplay looks a lot more weighted and not as twitchy as F-Zero. Which is completely fine, but it creates a discrepancy in looks and feel. If I went in, expecting F-Zero like gameplay, I might come out disappointed, since it looks the part, but plays differently.
Again - did not play it, but that's what I got from the trailers.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I haven't played it yet, but the DLC tracks all look similar in design to F-Zero GX tracks of yore.

All the while the gameplay looks a lot more weighted and not as twitchy as F-Zero. Which is completely fine, but it creates a discrepancy in looks and feel. If I went in, expecting F-Zero like gameplay, I might come out disappointed, since it looks the part, but plays differently.
Again - did not play it, but that's what I got from the trailers.

It actually doens't play like Fzero. In terms of feeling but also in terms of gameplay mechanics.

It actually doens't play like Fzero. In terms of feeling but also in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Thing is, it doesn't really play like Wipeout like others have said either.

The airbrakes cause "strafing" to the sides, rather than "tighter turns". Movement is very sensitive and immediate, and I freeeeaking love it.

Handling, especially with lower weight ships, is an absolute delight. And the sense of speed is unmatched even by F-Zero GX IMO.

deleted

That's what I was trying to say: It doesn't look like it plays like F-Zero, but it looks a lot like F-Zero when it comes to the tracks.
Someone not paying close attention to the behavior and movement of the racers might come out disappointed, since the rest seems reminiscent of F-Zero.

It's just a case of mishandled expectations for some...

That's what I was trying to say: It doesn't look like it plays like F-Zero, but it looks a lot like F-Zero when it comes to the tracks.
Someone not paying close attention to the behavior and movement of the racers might come out disappointed, since the rest seems reminiscent of F-Zero.

It's just a case of mishandled expectations for some...

For what it's worth, I adore F-Zero GX and this game blew my mind. It's not really the same, but I guess it's kind of like how you are more likely to like Sonic Racing Transformed if you enjoy Mario Kart (or vice-versa) even though they don't handle quite the same.

I don't know ...

this game was for me way too hard and the tracks too flat ... I don't remember any looping.

Will buy it anyway

Top Bottom