• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
but that had MAGIC. And Batman has sonar or whatever, and Ezio has eagle vision etc

what does Joel have? :p

It's a visual representation for the player of what Joel can hear. If you can think of a better way to implement that, bearing in mind that players will be using a diverse array of sound equipment, I'd like to hear it.

Been away from the thread and the game for most of the weekend...so the Flawless Widescreen download can also adjust FOV in addition to removing the bars??

I'm only on Chapter 7. Moving so slow through this game.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a TEW playthrough to watch on YT? I don't want to watch any of the big time personalities, I would rather watch someone who plays it with decent commentary, or none at all for that matter.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just finished chapter 5 and I've only found one med kit so far. Am I fucking up?

I feel like I'm exploring thoroughly. Are they extremely well hidden or are they just rare?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a TEW playthrough to watch on YT? I don't want to watch any of the big time personalities, I would rather watch someone who plays it with decent commentary, or none at all for that matter.

I went through the whole game. Playlist is here. Very minimal talking and facecam. Mostly just the game. Intro and outro. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGH1ybZYpD--u_YYlaFB_SGH-BwxKobrN Also broken down by chapters so you don't have to watch 10 videos for one chapter like some youtube folks.

cerulily

Tried it with 3 explosion arrows, 1 grenade, 5 sniper shots and a handful of pistole shots. He just doesn't want to die, does he? Playing on normal.

At first, shoot his eyeball searching for you (once with handgun is fine). Then when he is stunned unload about 3ish shots of a shotgun into him, then run to the other side of the arena and duck into the side room.

If he didn't see you, he will search again. Rinse and repeat.

When he is in stage 2. Wait for him to glow, then shoot him with an electric bolt to slow him down and then hit his weak spot with your strongest weapon. Again, rinse/repeat.

sep

Tips for Chapter 10 Boss? Tried so many things and always get to Phase 2 where he just insta kills me. I just cant dodge him. I hate him.

In phase 2 I just run around him, instead of away from him as I did in phase 1.
Other than that, I just gunned him down, didn't even aim to the mouth.

Man....I have to say I'm really excited for this game, but the only thing I have I could play it on is a PS3. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go that route (especially since Akumu mode, one of the things I'm most interested in, might be rough on that version), especially after I put myself through well over a hundred hours of the awful PS3 port of Bayonetta.

Help me decide.

I installed Flawless Widescreen and what a relief!

Is there a consensus yet if the black bars are
A) Next-gen GPU rendering savings
B) Artistic vision
C) Gameplay reasons

cause if it is mainly A) I aint feel guilty

I thought it might have been b at first, similar to resident evil 4 but after seeing the pc version with the fov fix it's clearly because they had trouble with the engine.
I played through the game and never realised sebastian left a trail of blood dripping from his leg in the first chapter after being hit with the chainsaw until i saw it on a pc, if the black bars were intentional from the start then the blood dripping would be pointless as nobody can see it, with the fov fix the game is a million times better and how the game deserves to be played.

Jackpot

Banned
So will the story and the location placement will make sense at some point? I completed chapter 7 yesterday (besides chapter 3 this is the only one I actually liked so far) and I still don't understand what this is all about.

How was this game planned? I can vividly imagine:

Mikami: Ok guys, collect all the horror locations you could possibly think of.
Team: *check*
Mikami: Ok, now build levels for each location.
Team: *check*
Team: Wait, how do we connect those levels?
Mikami: Well, lets just have the main character have a hallucination at the end of each location and then spawn him into the next.
Team: *applause*

Ditto. From previews I thought we'd be stuck in the mental hospital all game, then after the intro I thought "oh wow, we get thrown to the outskirts of the city and we have to make our way back in until we reach the mental hospital, that's awesome" and that held up for the first few chapters until we magically teleported to random places for no reason.

Ditto. From previews I thought we'd be stuck in the mental hospital all game, then after the intro I thought "oh wow, we get thrown to the outskirts of the city and we have to make our way back in until we reach the mental hospital, that's awesome" and that held up for the first few chapters until we magically teleported to random places for no reason.

There is a reason, beat the game, then let's discuss :p

Draft

I haven't played the game, but in general a nonsensical reason to visit varied locations is more fun than logically keeping the game in one single location.

Jackpot

Banned
There is a reason, beat the game, then let's discuss :p

Well I figured there was an in-universe explanation, it's just disappointing from a game-design POV. You get the scary forest, followed by a scary village, followed by a large scary hospice and then that lovely crescendo of increasingly complex, built-up areas is all ruined by randomly arriving in a bunch of closed in corridors. Feels very disjointed.

I haven't played the game, but in general a nonsensical reason to visit varied locations is more fun than logically keeping the game in one single location.

I don't mind the varied locations so much as I do the fact that the game lacks almost any sense of progression through location.

doofy102

Chapter 3 feels like a prototype of Game From The Future. It's all in one block of area and you can do stuff in whatever order you want. The lack of ammo means there's player-creative emergent gameplay out the wazoo, and activating a certain boss earlier than later increases the challenge.

Foggy

Unfortunately I've been away from this game since it was released. Has there been any must-have PC modifications for it? I'm afraid to scroll through this thread to find anything and get spoiled.

doofy102

Well, chapter 5 has turned into quite the breather.

AI headshotting zombies - feels good man. Some obvious Naughty Dog moments going on too, especially that "I'll lift the garage, you slip under and hold the door for us" moment w/optional dialogue right before it.

I love Dino Crisis's puzzles. Not super difficult, but I find the puzzles in Dino Crisis to be fairly fun.

Actually, I found DC to have the most challenging puzzles for a non puzzle game that I've ever played. I actually just replayed it for the first time since launch. I was doing a Mikami marathon in preparation for TEW. I remember being really proud of my 13 year old self for beating it without a guide.

Yeah, I'm only at the beginning of the game but the dinosaurs seem pretty impossible to kill with the weapons I have.

Oh you can kill them just fine. The problem is lack of ammo.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Unfortunately I've been away from this game since it was released. Has there been any must-have PC modifications for it? I'm afraid to scroll through this thread to find anything and get spoiled.

There's a trainer called 'Flawless Widescreen', which does a few things, but is mostly for... Well, creating a perfect widescreen fix.

Video demonstrating it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG8xplgjic (download links in description)

Any easter eggs been found yet?

Do you mean Easter Eggs as in nods to other games, easter eggs as in secrets, easter eggs as in small little details?

Chapter ten.
After escaping a boss that just would not die, Ruvic showed up and actually spoke for once, he knows who Sebastian is and basically tormented him saying that he is basically treating Sebastian as a fucked up plaything.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

The only two minor ones I can think of off the top are...

Collecting all the map fragments
makes the map in the save room glow and you get a new sniper rifle and a new handgun.

In Chapter 10
beating Laura will lead to a different conclusion at the elevator and there's a supply of items you can collect.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Chapter 3 feels like a prototype of Game From The Future. It's all in one block of area and you can do stuff in whatever order you want. The lack of ammo means there's player-creative emergent gameplay out the wazoo, and activating a certain boss earlier than later increases the challenge.

Totally agree.
Loved that chapter (I've just surpassed that point).
Go ahead to chapter 4, now!

Andrew.

Banned
NG+ up to chapter 7.

Only need 2 docs, 2 map pieces and 12 keys.

Except Im short as hell on ammo currently. Not about to bust into my
launcher or machine gun
ammo either.

ryushe

So I think this game is kind of crummy but for some strange reason, I can't stop playing.

I'm sure RE4 being one of my favorite games ever has something to do with this conundrum.

Question: I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 but I'm wondering about the burning mechanics. First of all to me it seems the corpses take pretty long to reanimate (since I don't think it has happened to me once outside
of that one scripted event where you open the gate in chapter 2
) so I'm wondering does this mechanic actually come to play at some point in the game? There has hardly been any backtracking thus far. I feel like I'm just better off saving the matches for something else rather than burning corpses.

Also do they reanimate as exactly the same they were before or is there some kind of Crimson Head thing going on?

Just curious.

I did think chapter 3 had kind of bad design where
you had to go back to the ''barn'' for the big guy to get loose. It was the biggest looking place so I made sure to search it thoroughly when I first went in and got stuck for a while at the part you needed a chainsaw (I wasn't even sure if you really needed one or if it was just some kinda of RE4 callback joke or something). I knew the big guy was there alive still so I eventually went back there after roaming around every other place. I didn't even know he had a chainsaw. I just thought he was some kind of miniboss that the villagers set loose if they spot you or something.

Andrew.

Banned
Question: I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 but I'm wondering about the burning mechanics. First of all to me it seems the corpses take pretty long to reanimate (since I don't think it has happened to me once outside
) so I'm wondering does this mechanic actually come to play at some point in the game? There has hardly been any backtracking thus far. I feel like I'm just better off saving the matches for something else rather than burning corpses.

Also do they reanimate as exactly the same they were before or is there some kind of Crimson Head thing going on?

Just curious.

According to the art book there was/is some sort of creature that the denizens can turn into if they arent burned away. A creature that explodes when you get too close. I never ran into one though and I never ran into a body that came back to life after "killing" it. For a few reasons: 1) I always go for a headshot. Headshot puts them out for good. 2) Any loose dead bodies around I set on fire anyway because 50% of the time they will come to life anyway and 3) Anyone that I dont headshot, (like a group of dudes I lay out with a shotgun) I set on fire as soon as they hit the ground.

Basically Ive just never given the enemy the opportunity.

Mupod

Just curious.

I did think chapter 3 had kind of bad design where
you had to go back to the ''barn'' for the big guy to get loose. It was the biggest looking place so I made sure to search it thoroughly when I first went in and got stuck for a while at the part you needed a chainsaw (I wasn't even sure if you really needed one or if it was just some kinda of RE4 callback joke or something). I knew the big guy was there alive still so I eventually went back there after roaming around every other place. I didn't even know he had a chainsaw. I just thought he was some kind of miniboss that the villagers set loose if they spot you or something.

Matches are great offensively - either bodies, hay bales or oil slicks can be used to kill whole groups of enemies without firing a shot. Also, I've seen other instances of 'playing dead', and even burning random hay bales can uncover items.

The reanimation mechanic is bullshit. However, enemies are VERY resilient and will often refuse to die until their head is completely blown off.

The chainsaw thing seemed obvious to me because of the sound cues. Chainsaw man in the barn sounded the same as the one you had to flee from earlier. As for what I was supposed to do with him, that was kinda the problem - I had so little ammo I didn't think I could kill him, and tried to get him to hit the chain with the chainsaw.

Is chapter 15 the last? And how long should I give myself to beat it roughly? I need to leave for work in an hour but I really want to push on and get it done. Will I have enough time?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is it better to be thorough and search everywhere before moving on, or is it better to just get through areas as safely as possible?

I've been exploring thoroughly and killing everyone (when possible). A game like this holds no interest for me without combat. If you wanted to avoid conflict and just try to get where you're going you can probably do that in many situations but I haven't tried it.

I'm only at ch6 though so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

While I'm way too early to tell which it is either this game pays some major homage to RE4 or this game is trying sooooo haaaard to be another RE4.

Also I enjoyed that one obvious RE1 callback :)

Top Bottom