• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong chapter 10
its the part when Laura chases you and you have to switch the leavers but it lead to room that locks behind me and I get toasted
I seen walkthroughs but it doesn't happen to them.

Squishy3

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong chapter 10
its the part when Laura chases you and you have to switch the leavers but it lead to room that locks behind me and I get toasted
I seen walkthroughs but it doesn't happen to them.
If you've watched the videos you should be able to see what they do.

There's a lever on the ceiling that you have to shoot.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you've watched the videos you should be able to see what they do.

There's a lever on the ceiling that you have to shoot.
I thought there must be,
but they seem to just walk right to the end and open the door

Edit, thanks did it
Probably couldn't see due to being cremated lol

Is it me or is the level design/art direction freaking amazing in this game. Especially the outdoor environments.

From forests to worn torn villages, to ruined buildings along a cliff... The way every tree, blades of grass or structure is placed, It looks so natural but at the same time it feels like I'm looking at a painting when I see a building in the forest I have to explore, but behind that, across the sea, I can seeing a lighthouse off into the dark horizon.

The levels also do a good job of showing you where you need or should go without really telling you.

It really looks like RE4 Next Gen! And the funny thing is this is a cross gen game so I can only imagine what they could have done with devoting all resources to a single console.

Maybe Mikami can finally get some grass physics in his games. :p

Grisby

Is it better to be thorough and search everywhere before moving on, or is it better to just get through areas as safely as possible?
Be thorough. You'll get a lot more green gel and such. Later on after upgrading the agony bow ammo saving becomes less of a concern.

I've been exploring thoroughly and killing everyone (when possible). A game like this holds no interest for me without combat. If you wanted to avoid conflict and just try to get where you're going you can probably do that in many situations but I haven't tried it.

I'm only at ch6 though so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm at Ch6 too, and I've been doing more exploring than fleeing.

When I do get into combat though, I try to stealth kill, bottle stun-stealth kill or other non firearm ways of dispatching the freaks. Don't want to waste all that time searching for ammo if I'm just gonna use it all up before I get to the end of the chapter.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

dlauv

Is it me or is the level design/art direction freaking amazing in this game. Especially the outdoor environments.

I don't know why this isn't getting more praise. To me it's the strongest aspect of the game. It reminds me a lot of Killer 7, with the blood droplets, rich colors, and surreal imagery.

I've been exploring thoroughly and killing everyone (when possible). A game like this holds no interest for me without combat. If you wanted to avoid conflict and just try to get where you're going you can probably do that in many situations but I haven't tried it.

I'm only at ch6 though so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Actually there certainly are a large number of areas that you can just waltz straight through without actually fighting things. On a reasonable number of occasions I've had so little ammo that fighting back wasn't really an option and so running through was my last choice. You could probably make the 5 hour trophy fairly easy actually by exploiting it.

According to the art book there was/is some sort of creature that the denizens can turn into if they arent burned away. A creature that explodes when you get too close. I never ran into one though and I never ran into a body that came back to life after "killing" it. For a few reasons: 1) I always go for a headshot. Headshot puts them out for good. 2) Any loose dead bodies around I set on fire anyway because 50% of the time they will come to life anyway and 3) Anyone that I dont headshot, (like a group of dudes I lay out with a shotgun) I set on fire as soon as they hit the ground.

Basically Ive just never given the enemy the opportunity.

Yeah pretty sure that got cut from the game at this point. Probably a good thing as a ton of people think the game is unfairly hard as it is.

Guys, it's been a couple days since I finished it and I can't stop thinking about this game. It's calling me for another playthrough. It wasn't the most polished thing I played but playing this thing was damn fun. Will start a nightmare playthrough. Need another dose of TEW.

Guys, it's been a couple days since I finished it and I can't stop thinking about this game. It's calling me for another playthrough. It wasn't the most polished thing I played but playing this thing was damn fun. Will start a nightmare playthrough. Need another dosis of TEW.

The combat scenarios are a lot of fun and I'm actually enjoying going through my second time now that I understand the systems a bit better and can play around with different strategies. Also Nightmare is an appreciably different experience from the standard difficulty. Definitely worth a play.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
AngryJoe wasn't the only Youtuber/Streamer to have share that opinion for what it's worth. Even some very mellow streamers who rarely (if ever) hate on games on Stream turned this game off early. I don't understand why some people can accept others enjoy this, while those that enjoy it can't seem to accept that faults and issues others have with the game.
I can't imagine this game being good for streaming. 90 percent of the game is scrounging around for supplies and restarting the same areas, lol.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
just finished Ch. 9, that was a pain in the tits.
The thing I probably hate most in games are time limits and not being allowed to explore, the fact that he could just show up at any time had me on total edge. This would be fine if it weren't for his cheap 1HK's. The end of the chapter was pretty irritating as well

Can anyone tell me if this or something like it happens again in the game?

just finished Ch. 9, that was a pain in the tits.
The thing I probably hate most in games are time limits and not being allowed to explore, the fact that he could just show up at any time had me on total edge. This would be fine if it weren't for his cheap 1HK's. The end of the chapter was pretty irritating as well

Can anyone tell me if this or something like it happens again in the game?

You mean the
Ruvik chase part
?
No, won't happen anymore.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You mean the
Ruvik chase part
?
No, won't happen anymore.

Yea that's the one. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to Alien, but from what I hear it sounds quite similar to that section.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really need some help in chapter 10 at what I believe to be the end.
I can't figure out what to do to damage the giant two headed beast after shooting it in the eye and blowing off the head of one of the humanish guys on it's back. I tried for nearly an hour last night but just can't seem to figure out anything reliable to work. Flash bolts have worked twice but it just seems random if they'll actually stun him or not and I don't know what his weak point is when that happens anyway.
I really wanted to figure out this game for myself without help but I feel stupid and this fight is killing my desire to keep playing.

I can't figure out what to do to damage the giant two headed beast after shooting it in the eye and blowing off the head of one of the humanish guys on it's back. I tried for nearly an hour last night but just can't seem to figure out anything reliable to work. Flash bolts have worked twice but it just seems random if they'll actually stun him or not and I don't know what his weak point is when that happens anyway.
I really wanted to figure out this game for myself without help but I feel stupid and this fight is killing my desire to keep playing.

Lightning, freeze, and explosive bolts are your best friends against any boss in the game. Sniper shots against the weak point you mentioned also deal a ton of damage, especially if it's already frozen or struck by lightning.

If you don't have enough trap parts, some are littered around the area, as well as extra bolts. You can also sneak around him, so don't attack him immediately.

Markitron

Lightning, freeze, and explosive bolts are your best friends against any boss in the game. Sniper shots against the weak point you mentioned also deal a ton of damage, especially if it's already frozen or struck by lightning.

I'm just starting Ch. 10, should I save up my parts for the boss? Was planning on just creating harpoon bolts from now on since I have it upgraded all the way with the fire damage

Just pump everything you got into that thing. Search the entire place for more ammo and pump it full of that shit. Search the small storerooms and shoot everything you have. It doesn't matter where you shoot. But beware:
Once you inflict enough damage on that monster it will open it's vag-like mouth, purple light will shine out and you will see a big eye in there. Shoot all the heavy stuff you have left at that eye!

That's how I did it.

Another usefull hint:
You can use flash bolts to blind it

Scoot2005

Banned
Still haven't booted this up since last weekend so I am still at Ch. 5 with you know who.

I watched a youtube video of an easy way to get past this part. Gonna make it kinda easy now that I know. That's if it was on Survival..... If the video wasn't then this is going to take awhile.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

If you don't have enough trap parts, some are littered around the area, as well as extra bolts. You can also sneak around him, so don't attack him immediately.

Just pump everything you got into that thing. Search the entire place for more ammo and pump it full of that shit. Search the small storerooms and shoot everything you have. It doesn't matter where you shoot. But beware:
Once you inflict enough damage on that monster it will open it's vag-like mouth, purple light will shine out and you will see a big eye in there. Shoot all the heavy stuff you have left at that eye!

That's how I did it.

Ah, OK. I wasn't going all out since I figured there was a specific way to damage it. I have a lot of supplies so we'll see how the next round goes.

I'm just starting Ch. 10, should I save up my parts for the boss? Was planning on just creating harpoon bolts from now on since I have it upgraded all the way with the fire damage

Unless you're completely swarmed with enemies, you should save freeze, lightning, and explosive bolts for the bosses only.

Harpoons are cheap to make, so using them against regular enemies isn't too bad.

There is one "regular" enemy that's worth wasting a lightning or freeze bolt on. But he only appears later in the game, and it's obvious enough that he's a big deal.

Mupod

I can't imagine this game being good for streaming. 90 percent of the game is scrounging around for supplies and restarting the same areas, lol.

I'd probably be pretty boring to watch since I'm insanely slow and careful + I tend to suicide in order to try different approaches to encounters/enemies. Although, it might be a plus that I'm needlessly fearful of basically everything and that's likely why I enjoy horror games so much.

Personally, I find people who rush through games and run past secrets/resources/whatever tend to frustrate me while I'm watching so the scrounging wouldn't be a problem.

So far the two people I've watched stream this were patrick klepek and angry joe. Former was a little annoying with the whining about not having his hand held, latter was maybe the most infuriating shit I've seen since this guy. But I think it'd be entertaining to watch someone who approached the game with a 'how can I play better' attitude rather than just getting butthurt and dismissive.

Sanctuary

This is exactly how I felt during that chapter. It's been my least favorite by far.

I was stuck on chapter 6 (Akumu) last night before deciding to take a break. I can get past the first section easy enough, but the basement is a nightmare, even knowing ahead of time what to expect. Honestly the rest of the level will be cake compared to it. You can actually exploit the hell out of the ladder on the opposite side of the map.
after you take out the few along the way, you can position Joseph right next to the ladder and he will one-shot or two-shot anything after it climbs up and before it can get more than a single swing off. And all of the new spawns funnel up that ladder, so it's just a matter of standing there for about eight minutes until they stop.

So far the two people I've watched stream this were patrick klepek and angry joe. Former was a little annoying with the whining about not having his hand held, latter was maybe the most infuriating shit I've seen since this guy. But I think it'd be entertaining to watch someone who approached the game with a 'how can I play better' attitude rather than just getting butthurt and dismissive.

I recorded my first playthrough of the game and uploaded it to youtube and I think I showed the game off fairly well. I also didn't complain because I died or messed up. It can be done, but these popular folks really seem to have a hard time grasping learning how to play a game such as this.

Chabbles

I just played through the opening section to get a look, but not playing proper until i get through the last 4 chapters of AI. Something i noticed though, the camera controls are off by default. Increasing the x-axis(left to right) by 10% and decreasing the y-axis(up down) by 10% makes looking around feel much better. Looking up and down should never by faster than looking left and right... maybe they done it though due to the black bars taking up so much screen space.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to Chapter 6. This game is a definite GOTY contender, I hope it keeps this level of awesomeness up for the rest of the game.

Same feeling here.

I just completed that early intense combat scenario in Chapter 6 last night before going to bed. The more I warm up to the combat, the more I'm enjoying the game. I absolutely love the atmosphere, too.

Been playing with the Flawless Widescreen mod from the beginning, so the FOV/thick black borders issues are not affecting me.

Ricker

Particular fight in Chapter 15 really highlights all the little problems with the game all rolled in one...touchy controls to flip switches,climb stuff,the stupid ''I am close to a ledge'' animation,the awful FOV teamed with the camera to completly hide where you are...great game but man those things are annoying in some parts...going to try later for the 5th time.

Talking about the
the 2 Safe Box Boss...I think I hit them with 3 grenades,4 explosives arrows,10 shotgun shells,etc etc and they still wont go dwn...? wtf,and I am on casual,jesus....

Particular fight in Chapter 15 really highlights all the little problems with the game all rolled in one...touchy controls to flip switches,climb stuff,the stupid ''I am close to a ledge'' animation,the awful FOV teamed with the camera to completly hide where you are...great game but man those things are annoying in some parts...going to try later for the 5th time.

Talking about the
the 2 Safe Box Boss...I think I hit them with 3 grenades,4 explosives arrows,10 shotgun shells,etc etc and they still wont go dwn...? wtf,and I am on casual,jesus....

Just use your magnum there. You won't need it later.

Is chapter 4 awfully short or did I just somehow run through it? Also
I didn't realize I had to shut the door to stop the Spider Lady thing, I kept shooting at her and running around until she killed me and then when it restarted she was locked out.

stupei

On the 8-4 play podcast they mentioned working on translating some behind the scenes interviews about this game. Have those been linked in the thread or does anyone know where they might be? Trying to search for them on youtube with the risk of running into spoilers has me sort of anxious.

Is chapter 4 awfully short or did I just somehow ran through it? Also
I didn't realize I had to shut the door to stop the Spider Lady thing, I kept shooting at her and running around until she killed me and then when it restarted she was locked out.

The area right before that
where you have to run to the far end of the hallway to trigger the guy rushing through the door was what got me. I figured it'd be best to stay in the big room where you have space to strafe her rather than running away. It was only when I happened to go out into the hall after several deaths that my guy finally says "I'd better run" ... at which point I outrun her quite a bit, dodge and strafe and take FOREVER to fuck up enough that she actually gets so close that it triggers the next event.

haha ouch! I know of 3 streamers that haven't enjoyed this, and the 4th (Dansgaming) played it but seemed really so-so about it. So yeah, I don't think it's the ideal streamer game. There seems to be plenty of youtube videos for it though, so who knows.

I'm up to Chapter 6 now and I'm sort of playing it just to finish it, otherwise I'll feel like I've wasted £40.

Top Bottom