• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Add another 20 hours for Nightmare and Akumu difficulties.

For completionists there is a trophy/achievement for completing the game under 5 hours, so they are gonna spend a lot of hours figuring out the fastest route too, which i find a lot of fun and adds to the replay value.

-MD-

First of all there are really rare games which i would call horror games like Silent Hill 1-2-3 and maybe 4., Fatal Frame series, Amnesia The Dark Descent. This game is not a horror game, if anyone is expecting stuff like the games i counted, they will be disappointed. This one is more survival-action oriented one. And when it comes to scares the games scares are not jump scares. It scares you mostly because of the atmospehere. It just keeps you on your toes because of that but never like the jump scares of RE 1-2-3-5-6. It don't have anything to do with old RE games except 4. It just takes 4, changes setting, makes the tone more serious, darker, takes away most of the cliche story related stuff of it and gives you more gameplay mechanics (fire, upgrading, stealth) to have fun with.

There are not many games i could compare this to, it is much more action oriented when compared to the likes of Silent Hill and it is much more serious when compared to RE4. Think of this as an adult man's RE4. (RE4 fans please take no offense as its one of my favourite video games ever but the story was too shitty or childish for that matter). Also say hi to my fellow GAFfers.

Gotta admit, reading this is disappointing.

Person who posted the second impression above has this comment to say going into chapter 8.

"I have zero bullets for my pistol, zero slugs for shotgun, zero ammo for the rifle, one shitty syringe for the health and 2 shitty flash bolts for the crossbow :("

Says so far he'd rate the game 9/10, and the point reduced mainly has to do with technical things on the PS3.

This is a bit better.

Grief.exe

For completionists there is a trophy/achievement for completing the game under 5 hours, so they are gonna spend a lot of hours figuring out the fastest route too, which i find a lot of fun and adds to the replay value.

Those are always fun to try to work out.

I believe the upcoming Remake release has one as well.

Why do you assume there will be a GOTY version? And if you like it so much, why don't you just buy it?

It's a trend, any time there is a season pass with future DLC people assume it will have a GOTY/Ultimate edition and will wait to get the best value. I could never do that on a game I'm excited for but some folks have lots of patience I suppose. Whatever suits them.

Blu(e)

Why do you assume there will be a GOTY version? And if you like it so much, why don't you just buy it?

It's got a season pass and it's being published by Bethesda. They have a track record of releasing GOTY editions of their games that end up with a lot post release DLC. I like it so much because Shinji Mikami is working behind it (and everything he's done so far has not let me down). I won't buy it as of now because of the enormous log of games I do own and still have yet to play. If for whatever reason they don't release a GOTY edition I can still get the game at a cheaper price (DLC included). The only real downside is that I don't "support" my developer of choice, but being a poor college dictates I put my other needs first.

artsi

Well that's Mikami for sure. Resident Evil 2 and 3 had those "Finish under 2 hours, don't use first aid sprays" type completion bonuses too if I remember correctly.

I asked the guy who is playing the game about RE4, I basically told him I think RE4 is one of the three greatest games of all time. I think it is the best paced ever made. And wanted to see his take on RE4 to see if it aligned with mine and he wrote what dusk golem posted.

As you can imagine I am beyond thrilled. A RE4 like game that still retains the horror and puzzle elements!

JayEH

I'm only interested in the Kidman DLC. That challenge mode or whatever it is looks like it's just your typical filler DLC.

I imagine though that buying both parts of the Kidman DLC will probably be the same price as the season pass so I'll probably just pick that up if the DLC seems promising.

ironcreed

Banned
I asked the guy who is playing the game about RE4, I basically told him I think RE4 is one of the three greatest games of all time. I think it is the best paced ever made. And wanted to see his take on RE4 to see if it aligned with mine and he wrote what dusk golem posted.

As you can imagine I am beyond thrilled. A RE4 like game that still retains the horror and puzzle elements!

Yeah, there is a reason that RE4 is so timeless and replayable. I'm hoping this has that same quality where you can just go back to it over and over again.

AsfaeksBR

Someone ease my worries and tell me this isn't just a RE4-2.

0412TKF.gif

Someone get me hyped and tell me this is just RE4-2

NkO4K70.gif

Lucent

Someone get me hyped and tell me this is just RE2-4

Lol. I won't be disappointed either way. RE4-2 with better atmosphere and a more serious tone, along with different options for taking down foes would be enough to satisfy me. Rather all that than it to not be good.

I'm only interested in the Kidman DLC. That challenge mode or whatever it is looks like it's just your typical filler DLC.

I imagine though that buying both parts of the Kidman DLC will probably be the same price as the season pass so I'll probably just pick that up if the DLC seems promising.

Oh wow, Billy Kidman DLC, this game has it all

can't wait to down some zombies, and instead of lighting them on fire, hit em with a botched SSP

antitrop

TEW is RE4-2

Well, actually it's more like REmake-2

Well, actually, it's not quite RE4-2, but it's not quite REmake-2 either

Well, actually it's more like RE4 meets Silent Hill

or something

9/10
Oh, okay, so like every OT a few days before release when leaked impressions starting appearing.

That was a particularly trying time during the Wolfenstein OT.

Visually that was kinda expected. As for the opening 27 minutes that you watched.... what did you dislike?

I don't know...everything?^^

I didn't like:
- animations
- character models
- there is no tension at all (for comparison: I couldn't stop playing after the intro of RE4)
- the dialogue is bad/cheesy (but honestly RE4 had bad dialogue, too)
- visuals (well, last gen version)

It's just the beginning of the game though.
I really want this game to be good but I don't know...I still have a bad feeling. I think I'll definitely wait for reviews. And that embargo....

xezuru

I'm back, and oh jeez the spoilers are on the cusp of destroying the land.
FKgAVoL.png
5pt6sMY.png

Developers say it's 15-20 hours long, there's a person who's updating how long he's been playing after every chapter, he's completed chapter 8 right now (of 15) and said his playtime was 7 hours and 50 minutes.

Speaking of this person playing, did he give any notification if he is playing in the dark and with headphones on? Not that it would change his impressions, but I have to say headphones in a game like this is a major boost to atmosphere and tension as with any horror game. It shames me I didn't start using headphones till much later in my gaming life.

PSA: For those that preordered on PS4 and aren't aware (like me), you have to manually set it to auto download. Just click on it and the option will come up.

I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain what The Evil Within is.

We riot if The Evil Within isn't all in main guy's head and he wakes up in a test tube in Albert Wesker's lab

Also, if you can't pick Hard right from the beginning like you can in Bayonetta 2

Top Bottom