• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I'll try enjoying it for what it is. Still a shit move hyping this up as survival horror ,,like back in the day''.

It is survival horror.

You're probably thinking of Pure/True Horror, which everyone including Mikami himself stated that is a completely different genre from what he is making.

Well I thought I was getting Xbox One version but apparently not. I'm going in later tonight. Hope to see you guys at launch with all my thoughts, reviews, etc. I've been waiting for this for what feels like forever and now I feel very surreal about it all. Embargo is at 12:01 EST am Oct 14th, I can confirm.

WUvOKSJ.jpg

even though you deserve it first more than any of us, i still hate you

Lucent

Person who posted the second impression above has this comment to say going into chapter 8.

"I have zero bullets for my pistol, zero slugs for shotgun, zero ammo for the rifle, one shitty syringe for the health and 2 shitty flash bolts for the crossbow :("

Says so far he'd rate the game 9/10, and the point reduced mainly has to do with technical things on the PS3.

Lol holy shit. So went from "man ammo is plentiful and enemies drop 6 bullets so no reason to not shoot" to "omg I wish I had something to fight back with..."

Lol this game is sounding amazing

ironcreed

Banned
Two new thing of impressions. I asked this question:

"I'll ask the question. Scares are subjective, and honestly while I expect the game will have a few moments (and I know it can have a few tense and startle moments, from the PAX demo), have you experienced anything you would say is scary, or creepy, or struck you particularly in these first 6-7 chapters?

On that accord, you should be getting close to half-way through the game (either half-way through chapter 8 or at the end of chapter 8 would be the half-way point, depending if its 15-16 chapters). So far, what's some thoughts on the game, like how good, compared to recent horror games, compared to the old RE games, to you, how does it compare?

Sorry if a bit hefty, can decline them, just very curious."

One replied:

"The atmosphere is really oppressive, especially chap 5, the enemies themselves are not really scary imo. Probably because Survival has a lot of supplies, way more than I expected and when an enemy can drop 6 bullets I don't feel that scared."

The other giving more detailed non-spoiler impressions;

"I think RE4 was the best game of the 6th generation of consoles. Its pacing was awesome as you said and this feels no different than that. Yes, so far it does lives up to the legacy of RE4 so far. And in some cases it surpasses it imho. Like atmosphere, art design, characters, story...

This game is tense and at times scary. But the game's main point is being tense and putting survival above all else. First of all there are really rare games which i would call horror games like Silent Hill 1-2-3 and maybe 4., Fatal Frame series, Amnesia The Dark Descent. This game is not a horror game, if anyone is expecting stuff like the games i counted, they will be disappointed. This one is more survival-action oriented one. And when it comes to scares the games scares are not jump scares. It scares you mostly because of the atmospehere. It just keeps you on your toes because of that but never like the jump scares of RE 1-2-3-5-6. It don't have anything to do with old RE games except 4. It just takes 4, changes setting, makes the tone more serious, darker, takes away most of the cliche story related stuff of it and gives you more gameplay mechanics (fire, upgrading, stealth) to have fun with.

There are not many games i could compare this to, it is much more action oriented when compared to the likes of Silent Hill and it is much more serious when compared to RE4. Think of this as an adult man's RE4. (RE4 fans please take no offense as its one of my favourite video games ever but the story was too shitty or childish for that matter). Also say hi to my fellow GAFfers.

Finished Chapter 7. Total Play Time 7.17.07"

shining-creepy-smile.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It all sounds really good but that late embargo lift still worries me. It's either the game is bad or to avoid spoilers. I hope for the latter.

Fuck it, in Mikami we trust.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Person who posted the second impression above has this comment to say going into chapter 8.

"I have zero bullets for my pistol, zero slugs for shotgun, zero ammo for the rifle, one shitty syringe for the health and 2 shitty flash bolts for the crossbow :("

Says so far he'd rate the game 9/10, and the point reduced mainly has to do with technical things on the PS3.

where are these comments coming from

Lucent

It all sounds really good but that late embargo lift still worries me. It's either the game is bad or to avoid spoilers. I hope for the latter.

Fuck it, in Mikami we trust.

I highly doubt it's because it's bad. These impressions sound great. If they're enjoying it still half way through, it has to be good.

Was shocked to see a season pass being available for this game, today. But I hope the game will be good, at which point I will welcome additional content.

Anth0ny

If this game is even close to RE4 in quality... it's like, game of the year. Hell, game of the generation. Free.

I'm going to keep my expectations in check. I'm hoping it's good, but I don't think RE4-level is realistic, personally.

6 more days :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
where are these comments coming from

Link posted in the quote of me above, or TEW forums.

Also from the on-going adventures of the player.

"Just a small update. I have bullets now, even though those are shitty pistol bullets... I have 6 of them. But i got quarter health and have no syringes or med kits. Fuck."

As I said there and I'll say here, Mikami had said before the second half of the game was harder than the first half, guess we'll see if that holds true.

Bl@de

Frankly I don't even care about the scores anymore. Anybody who plays it loves it. Especially people who liked Re1and 4. Review enough for me.

It is survival horror.

You're probably thinking of Pure/True Horror, which everyone including Mikami himself stated that is a completely different genre from what he is making.

No, I hate cheap jump scare simulators. I'm thinking REmake and Silent Hill 2, but simply not RE4, which was never survival horror, but inferior/less complex action with a gorey facade.

Sn4ke_911

I highly doubt it's because it's bad. These impressions sound great. If they're enjoying it still half way through, it has to be good.

Frankly I don't even care about the scores anymore. Anybody who plays it loves it. Especially people who liked Re1and 4. Review enough for me.

To be fair those impressions come from a TEW fan forum, people have been hype for years for this game so they might overlook some flaws, who knows... either way it all sounds pretty good for now but i'm trying to keep my hype in check, don't want to get burned.

Dusk Golem

I'm probably more excited because I liked what I played at PAX a lot, so I knew I liked the game mechanically, so to hear it has good pacing/design is all I really need to know, but the last week here is the hardest to avoid looking at impressions. I'm not looking at them but avoiding the spoilerific details after I read earlier. Don't want to know much past chapter 6.

Time update for the player posting his time.

Chapter 8 Clear
Total Play Time 7:50:03

even though you deserve it first more than any of us, i still hate you

I'd say Dusk as well, but he did get that bad ass console so I don't feel as bad. lol . But really... there is a few of us in here that have had some big time faith in this game and it will be interesting to see how it lives up to all our expectations, dissapoints, or blows them away. That being said, I understand that hate. *sniff*

Sn4ke_911

Oh shit from the impressions guy

"Okay some screenshots time. I will just post some screens of diaries, upgrade screens, chapter complete screens. Diaries will have spoilers, so you are warned. I will upload them on a different album."

Bl@de

To be fair those impressions come from a TEW fan forum, people have been hype for years for this game so they might overlook some flaws, who knows... either way it all sounds pretty good for now but i'm trying to keep my hype in check, don't want to get burned.

647301bc49e9159a45c93f48dcaf612f5bfe46c246c45df09494ae1fc10225f8.jpg

kodecraft

Well I thought I was getting Xbox One version but apparently not. I'm going in later tonight. Hope to see you guys at launch with all my thoughts, reviews, etc. I've been waiting for this for what feels like forever and now I feel very surreal about it all. Embargo is at 12:01 EST am Oct 14th, I can confirm.

WUvOKSJ.jpg

YESSS!!!!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, it's just something I'll need to play for myself and see. Though I would think it's way too hard to properly compare it to RE4 even going through it once, as a big strength to RE4 was how it holds up over so many playthroughs, the plethora of post game unlocks, etc. TEW has a lot of potential with the bits of randomization but I want to tinker with it a lot and see how that ends up.

edge-wwe.gif

No, I hate cheap jump scare simulators. I'm thinking REmake and Silent Hill 2, but simply not RE4, which was never survival horror, but inferior/less complex action with a gorey facade.

Of course it's survival horror, it might not be a particularly scary horror, but it is a game that have you gathering limited resources, item management etc. stuff that you do in survival horror. And outside of the big action scenes where you're running around big areas, the settings were definitely the same kind of unnerving feeling.

Lol, and no way is it an "inferior/less complex action", you have tons of enemy varieties with different tactics and weakness, a cool melee system, weapons upgrades, pinpoint targeting etc. there's a ton of depth compared to your average action shooter.

Yeah, it's just something I'll need to play for myself and see. Though I would think it's way too hard to properly compare it to RE4 even going through it once, as a big strength to RE4 was how it holds up over so many playthroughs, the plethora of post game unlocks, etc. TEW has a lot of potential with the bits of randomization but I want to tinker with it a lot and see how that ends up.

ibx1OmUdl0eNdT.gif

Dusk Golem

Various Evil Within screens, some minor document spoilers and one monster spoiler if you haven't watched the recent trailers, but honestly minor spoilers if you don't read the document screens.

Mostly menu stuff.

2 Photos of Chapter Complete Screens/2 notes: http://imgur.com/a/GIPWB

3 Cool Screens (one contains very minor enemy spoiler): http://imgur.com/a/sl5fm

Key Item Screen : http://imgur.com/a/6ISTm

Upgrade Screens (minor bolt spoilers)/File Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/PYisE

So will all copies (or inital run at least) come with that slipcase? I know the guy in the video kept saying it was the "special edition", but it seems like it just has the preorder "Fighting Chance" pack. I'm planning on picking up the game and I love me some gimmicky packaging

EDIT: ah it has the season pass too. Is that an import? I want!

These glowing impressions are helping reaffirm my belief that this could end up being a very special game, but it isn't making the wait any easier ;)

I just want to explore the world, enjoy the depth of combat and rake the atmosphere in. Hope there isn't too many set pieces that take control away from the player, though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't game on PC, so I guess the framerate thing doesn't bother me much. I've known this was 30 fps for a long time and didn't care.

Special Agent Dale Cooper, always the voice of reason

you see that they're making a 3rd season? so stoked!

Top Bottom