• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

gconsole

The thing that a lot of people seem to overlook about TEW is just how nicely balanced the weapons are. Yeah, the crossbow is strong, but in the way that grenade launchers were in RE - you can't use that shit on everything. The pistol is inaccurate, weak, and has unreliable headshots but if you aim for the right spots you can score knockdowns for burning no problem. Shotgun isn't a mass destruction device like in other survival horror games, but it works great as crowd control. I find myself using at least two weapons in every encounter.

Compare it to RE4 and Dead Space - you can feasibly play those games with one gun all the time. In the case of Dead Space, only ever using the plasma cutter is actually pretty easy since you get tons of money from selling your other ammo.

got any flash bolts?
You can back (or front) stab him when he's stunned for hefty damage. There's a harpoon and some other ammo in the corner off to the left of where he comes out.

That is standard in any action game. TEW doesnt do anything special. Hence nobody mention it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game has such crazy highs and lows. I loved the game up until chapter 10 and now I can't even bring myself to finish it. It feels like it overstayed it's welcome. I need to power through it and see how I feel at the end.

So fella's, this is kind of embarrassing: My first RE game was 5 which I loved, then 6 was next for me which I enjoyed a lot too. Now I beat Evil Within last night and thought it was fantastic. I have RE4 sitting in my Steam list untouched, but that's about to change. What else should I look out for as far as older games go similar in style to these? Silent Hill I assume?

Silent Hill, and RE pre 4 are nothing like those games. I would recommend the Dead Space series. All three games are fantastic action horror titles. The first one is quite scary, but the horror slowly diminishes over the next two entries, similar to how RE became less and less scary starting with 4, but still great games.

Grisby

This game has such crazy highs and lows. I loved the game up until chapter 10 and now I can't even bring myself to finish it. It feels like it overstayed it's welcome. I need to power through it and see how I feel at the end.
You could say...it's a roller coaster of a ride.

Am i the only one who felt the first Dead Space bore him to death? such a repetitive and uninspired level design, felt like a chore to me, but most people do like it and it's indeed is closer to TEW and latter REs than SH and old RE.

I think DS2 was great though and it fixed most of my gripes with the first one, although much more action heavy, but so are RE5 and RE6 so he should like it :)

No, Dead Space 1 was easily the best. 2 improved on the action, but at the expense of horror. And the final few chapters were absolutely terrible. I liked 3 more than 2.

kunonabi

Am i the only one who felt the first Dead Space bore him to death? such a repetitive and uninspired level design, felt like a chore to me, but most people do like it and it's indeed is closer to TEW and latter REs than SH and old RE.

I think DS2 was great though and it fixed most of my gripes with the first one, although much more action heavy, but so are RE5 and RE6 so he should like it :)

nah, I felt the same about Dead Space. I'll never understand why anyone liked that game. It was just so boring and tedious.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
3 more than 2?! ewwww
I think that's when we split apart :p

I have to agree. 3 was more like an expedition than it was a horror game in space. Don't get me wrong, some of the space sequences were great. I just think they did some things right with the
shuttle progression
, but it had too many people involved. They had sunk the personality of the main character to fit everyone else.

I'd say DS1 and DS2 are the best. You underline why the games are still scary. In DS3 you're just exploiting things left and right. The theory about the end to the game didn't even come out in a way that felt right.
Then they just threw you off with that DLC, which was a must have if you enjoy the series at all.

Isaac Clarke had a lot of mystery to him before DS3. In DS3 it's like
he sobers up and goes outside into the snow or takes a class on architecture.

Doombear

Don't think they were asking about that fight Northeastmonk... >.>.

The early game
invisible enemies? You almost always fight them in a room that has something that gives their position away. Water, things they push out of the way. I found that an explosive bolt into the ground in front of me would always get them when they ran at me. Either that or a nice shotgun blast in their general direction.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So what's the best way to deal with the
invisible tentacle face things
?

(Early game enemy spoiler)

The areas in which you encounter them are full of environmental objects and often big puddles of water. Use the movement of those objects to get a general sense of where the enemy is, use puddles to get a precise sense of its progress towards you. You can also see them (as a distortion in the air) if you look carefully, but that works best when they're already pretty close.

antitrop

What?

I have a laundry list of complaints about this game, but "Gummy controls and a nagging inability to execute basic commands" is absolutely not even fucking close to one of the important ones.

Would the game play better if the controls were as tight as The Last of Us? Absolutely. But talk about blowing minor annoyances into a bigger deal than they really are. It's such a bullshit, surface-level criticism, a footnote at worst. Yeah, so, you have to swing the camera around a little bit to get the contextual prompts to show up, guy makes it the end of the world.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have to restart sections multiple times purely because of technical issues, but that guy needs to learn some fucking patience. Game reviewers play games like they're a race (though it's obvious why).

I don't think he was frustrated with the game, I think he was frustrated that the game was taking up too much of his time and he has a ton of other games to review. I get that, but its hardly relatable to the intended audience. The game is much better if you take it a Chapter or 2 at a time.

Doombear

Question for anyone on NG+ or Nightmare/Akumu.

Are there
MORE invisible enemies in NG+? Sickbean's question just now reminded me that you only really see 2-3 of them in the game which is kind of a shame because they sucked and would make things interesting if there are more in NG+

Neff

The thing that a lot of people seem to overlook about TEW is just how nicely balanced the weapons are. Yeah, the crossbow is strong, but in the way that grenade launchers were in RE - you can't use that shit on everything. The pistol is inaccurate, weak, and has unreliable headshots but if you aim for the right spots you can score knockdowns for burning no problem. Shotgun isn't a mass destruction device like in other survival horror games, but it works great as crowd control. I find myself using at least two weapons in every encounter.

Compare it to RE4 and Dead Space - you can feasibly play those games with one gun all the time. In the case of Dead Space, only ever using the plasma cutter is actually pretty easy since you get tons of money from selling your other ammo.

Agreed. The flexibility of the weapons, and the multitude of ways you can use them in tandem with each other, coupled with the dire shortage of ammo really forces you to get creative at times. It's a sublime system and possibly even better than RE4's.

I think this game also shows Mikami's famous love for Bioshock at times.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
lol kotaku

If you follow the journalist work they're pushing like 2 to 3 games at a time. They always have another game in their back pocket. Granted if you have the money you're doing the same exact thing. I remember working for GameStop and I had an entire employee purchase list full of my signature. I had comments about how much I purchased by other store employees. I tend to do that more now, but I'm less about the multiplatform and more about digital/PC. I still have some of that feeling. It's having a bunch of titles at your exposure. I go back to games I picked up day 1 and I think how rushed I felt playing through a few of them. I remember them too well too.

I think of this sometimes when I see reviews. They have that same mentality but at the cost of being paid for it and their games are free. I think when you rush a particular game it only gives you the hype as a reward. You finished "game company A's game! Congrats!".

It's not a new feeling. It can be a great feeling, but I think some of us have caught onto it more than others. Some of us don't feel bad about spending that $60+ on a game and figuring out what the deal is. Which is why having a game and playing it through to the end can be enduring sometimes. It takes away from that time when you put in an older game into your console and enjoyed playing whatever time you had.

Game journalist are like "we got a copy, now play through it, point out what you did and did not like". They aren't saying, "is this your genre?" or "do you take time figuring out fundamentals?". When they do, that and the latter are always put down as being negative.

They make the guy whose going to store to possibly buy 2 copies of the game he wants to support into this giant ass. This almost fool. Which is why social media and social journalism can be a joke at times. You aren't crediting the guy who likes it. You bully around with other industry heads and either plaster it or love it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If you follow the journalist work they're pushing like 2 to 3 games at a time. They always have another game in their back pocket. Granted if you have the money you're doing the same exact thing. I remember working for GameStop and I had an entire employee purchase list full of my signature. I had comments about how much I purchased by other store employees. I tend to more of that now, but I'm less about the multiplatform and more about digital/PC. I still have some of that feeling. It's having a bunch of titles at your exposure. I go back to games I picked up day 1 and I think how rushed I felt playing through a few of them. I remember them too well too.

I think of this sometimes when I see reviews. They have that same mentality but at the cost of being paid for it and their games are free. I think when you rush a particular game it only gives you the hype as a reward. You finished "game company A's game! Congrats!".

It's not a new feeling. It can be a great feeling, but I think some of us have caught onto it more than others. Some of us don't feel bad about spending that $60+ on a game and figuring out what the deal is. Which is why having a game and playing it through to the end can be enduring sometimes. It takes away from that time when you put in an older game into your console and enjoyed playing whatever time you had.

Game journalist are like "we got a copy, now play through it, point out what you did and did not like". They aren't saying, "is this your genre?" or "do you take time figuring out fundamentals?". That and the latter are always put down as being negative.

They make the guy whose going to store to possibly buy 2 copies of the game he wants to support into this giant ass. This almost fool. Which is why social media and social journalism can be a joke at times. You aren't crediting the guy who likes it. You bully around with other industry heads and either plaster it or love it.

It took 30 hours for him to finish the game and he died about 140 times. Pathetic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It took 30 hours for him to finish the game and he died about 140 times. Pathetic.

Right and the guy who sold his copy of Dark Souls 2 the same day it came out probably feels the same way.

This is the difference:

Going-All-Cash-All-the-Time.jpg

kodecraft

So fella's, this is kind of embarrassing: My first RE game was 5 which I loved, then 6 was next for me which I enjoyed a lot too. Now I beat Evil Within last night and thought it was fantastic. I have RE4 sitting in my Steam list untouched, but that's about to change. What else should I look out for as far as older games go similar in style to these? Silent Hill I assume?

Don't know why people are recommending Silent Hill to you. Your keywords are "in the style of these" Silent Hill is brought up in this thread but not similar.

So I recommend Dead Space 1, 2, and 3.

Gustaf89

Banned
What?

I have a laundry list of complaints about this game, but "Gummy controls and a nagging inability to execute basic commands" is absolutely not even fucking close to one of the important ones.

Would the game play better if the controls were as tight as The Last of Us? Absolutely. But talk about blowing minor annoyances into a bigger deal than they really are. It's such a bullshit, surface-level criticism, a footnote at worst. Yeah, so, you have to swing the camera around a little bit to get the contextual prompts to show up, guy makes it the end of the world.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have to restart sections multiple times purely because of technical issues, but that guy needs to learn some fucking patience. Game reviewers play games like they're a race (though it's obvious why).

I don't think he was frustrated with the game, I think he was frustrated that the game was taking up too much of his time and he has a ton of other games to review. I get that, but its hardly relatable to the intended audience. The game is much better if you take it a Chapter or 2 at a time.

well i reviewed the game ASAP on launch day, finished the day next, in 15 hours and loved it, kotaku really seems off sometimes(read that as almost the time)

AkuMifune

Banned
You could say...it's a roller coaster of a ride.

That Slasher .gif from early in the thread now makes sense.

I made it to the final boss last night (was so late I had to stop and expecting to be frustrated a bit) and yeah, there are some weak parts, a whole lot of recycled things from previous games, and forcing us to face the same enemy types a few times gets old, but overall I really love the whole package, the art design is great, the tone never gets too goofy and it feels like Mikami really had fun making it. Id Tech 5 aside.

If I were to review it it would be on the IGN scale that doesn't add up, because there are a lot of aspects to this game that would get a 4 or 5, in the end it's a 10 because fuck you I like it. Though on some of the combat encounters I got real lucky, killing bosses/ending encounters with my last bullet and if I had to replay those it would have gotten frustrating quick.

Mupod

Damn I got hit with a spoiler in that dumb boxart thread. Bish took him out pretty fast and I only read half of a sentence but it was enough.

I've been pacing myself with the game, only doing 1 or 2 chapters a night. Hoping to get it done by this weekend so I don't need to worry about tiptoe-ing around gaf or other boards anymore. And also because Bayo 2 is coming.

Verger

Banned
I finally beat the chapter 10 boss. Got lucky and managed to Snipe his weak point a few times and once he went into his second mode I was able to aim right to get him down.

Man I was blown away with the Chapter 11 environment. It's very cool. The main issue I'm having so far with this chapter are those
machine-gun toting enemies. Very hard to get a good aim at them.

Lernaean

Banned

Which doesn't mean anything to me really.
I clocked almost 21 hours and about 120 deaths, but i literally explored every nook and cranny, killed every enemy i found. Everyone, even in the
bus section where you can run them over, i deliberately steered to make sure i kill everyone :D
, i disarmed every single trap, and paid dearly a few times, i have about 70%+ of the upgrades and only missing 3 tiles and a couple of documents, i stealth killed an entire building, stood defiantly facing bosses for screenshots and experimented with every idiocy one could think. i have enjoyed the game immensely, and now have started an NG+ game to finish all collectibles and have a full upgrade (and a faster completion surely).

What i mean, the overall completion time, does not always mean someone is bad at this game or bad on all games. People like to enjoy the full experience and go way past the generally accepted average completion time. I prefer this kind of approach, to a game this reviewer obviously did not enjoy, than in some cases when the reviewer plays for a few hours, rage quits and then buries the game. I disagree with the Kotaku review, i too think that the guy shouldn't play games for a living, but let's not present his completion time as a way to negate his opinion.

Finnished.
They tied it together nicely in the end thank god. A shame those unpolished bits are in there and like smack in the middle of the experience, the end boss part could have been better aswell. But all in all, great game with some amazing parts,
I loved the story too despite some writing being so so, really like the way its told.

Sanctuary

There's some fancy shit you can do,
but I say fuck that and flash bolt them. Actually, I kinda do that with every enemy...

This is the only correct answer.

Question for anyone on NG+ or Nightmare/Akumu.

Are there
MORE invisible enemies in NG+? Sickbean's question just now reminded me that you only really see 2-3 of them in the game which is kind of a shame because they sucked and would make things interesting if there are more in NG+

I am only on chapter 11 Akumu, but so far no. As for NG+, there wasn't more on Survival. There are also more than 2-3 in Survival. I think there's at least 5.

Sorry, but if the reports about the framerate are true, then I don't even need to play the game to know that it is certainly true. Because that is exactly how sub 30FPS games feel.

Does not seem to have such an issue on the PC version. That is of course is if you have a PC built within the last three years.

Thrakier

What?

Sorry, but if the reports about the framerate are true, then I don't even need to play the game to know that it is certainly true. Because that is exactly how sub 30FPS games feel.

Gurish

Which doesn't mean anything to me really.
I clocked almost 21 hours and about 120 deaths, but i literally explored every nook and cranny, killed every enemy i found. Everyone, even in the
bus section where you can run them over, i deliberately steered to make sure i kill everyone :D
, i disarmed every single trap, and paid dearly a few times, i have about 70%+ of the upgrades and only missing 3 tiles and a couple of documents, i stealth killed an entire building, stood defiantly facing bosses for screenshots and experimented with every idiocy one could think. i have enjoyed the game immensely, and now have started an NG+ game to finish all collectibles and have a full upgrade (and a faster completion surely).

What i mean, the overall completion time, does not always mean someone is bad at this game or bad on all games. People like to enjoy the full experience and go way past the generally accepted average completion time. I prefer this kind of approach, to a game this reviewer obviously did not enjoy, than in some cases when the reviewer plays for a few hours, rage quits and then buries the game. I disagree with the Kotaku review, i too think that the guy shouldn't play games for a living, but let's not present his completion time as a way to negate his opinion.
This is true, but you have to remember he wasn't having fun with the game and it was a very frustrating experience for him, it's not like he enjoyed it so much so he took his sweet time with it, it just that he was so bad and died repetitdly that this is how much time it took him when actually attempting to finish it as fast as he can, especially when he need to issue a review.

E the Shaggy

I feel like so many of the game reviews, including Kotaku's, are by people who just aren't good at the game so they take their frustrations out on it.

The controls are great, I mean sure there isn't a lot different from say the Resident Evil 4 model, but why fix what isn't broken?

Riposte

I feel like so many of the game reviews, including Kotaku's, are by people who just aren't good at the game so they take their frustrations out on it.

The controls are great, I mean sure there isn't a lot different from say the Resident Evil 4 model, but why fix what isn't broken?

Well, I don't understand why people say it controls like RE4.

Sayad

Hand gun is pretty accurate at close range if you upgrade the accuracy, upgrade crit chance and headshots become the best way for dealing with zombies.

Bl@de

I don't really care about the shit reviews and weird complaints, but ... This is a professional game reviewer. And he needs 30h and 140 deaths? Wtf ... Seriously. Does he normally play candy crush and pays for bonus lifes? I had a lot of stupid deaths and stuff but that amoumted to 15h and 65 deaths. And I even collected 90% of the stuff etc.
Maybe someone like that should play on casual or just give up with games like that.

Didn't hear any of this shit when the IGN lady said she died 200+ times and gave it an 8.7, btw. Obviously, she's even more trash at games than Kotaku man, remove her review from Metacritic pls mods

Bl@de

Didn't hear any of this shit when the IGN lady said she died 200+ times and gave it an 8.7, btw. Obviously, she's even more trash at games than Kotaku man, remove her review from Metacritic pls mods

Thats weird too ... I mean, did they try a knife run :D? A wonder she still liked it. 200 deaths would really rustle my jimmies

Lernaean

Banned
This is true, but you have to remember he wasn't having fun with the game and it was a very frustrating experience for him, it's not like he enjoyed it so much so he took his sweet time with it, it just that he was so bad and died repetitdly that this is how much time it took him when actually attempting to finish it as fast as he can, especially when he need to issue a review.

I agree, and i noted it in my post. I'm just saying that completion time and death ratio shouldn't negate their opinion. It is the false comments that should negate it, and those only.

Mupod

Hand gun is pretty accurate at close range if you upgrade the accuracy, upgrade crit chance and headshots become the best way for dealing with zombies.

that's the first thing I did. Upgrading accuracy only seemed to affect how much my aim swayed, I still encounter issues where I've got the enemy's head square in the crosshairs and my bullet decides not to go there. And of course even with a perfect shot it's not that simple, as later on there's enemies who have defenses against headshots. Also, I've had streaks of bad luck where my 30% crit felt like 1%.

I still get a ton of use out of the pistol, I'm certainly not knocking it as I'd say it's where most of my kills come from. But it's a risky close range weapon rather than the long range death machine the Red9 was.

Chapter 11. Things are getting harder...
enemies with machine guns and fake Ruvik, oh boy

Also I've noticed that
there are a few ads in the city with Juli on them. Weird.

Ledhead

Currently on chapter 11. Taking my time with this game, only doing a chapter or two every couple of days. Finally have a general idea as to where the story is going, took long enough hahaha.

Top Bottom