• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sorry, but if the reports about the framerate are true, then I don't even need to play the game to know that it is certainly true. Because that is exactly how sub 30FPS games feel.

The imprecision isn't as much because of the frame rate as it is because of weird prompt triggering sometimes requiring fiddly character and camera placement. But thanks for letting us know how you feel about framerates. Again.

that's the first thing I did. Upgrading accuracy only seemed to affect how much my aim swayed, I still encounter issues where I've got the enemy's head square in the crosshairs and my bullet decides not to go there. And of course even with a perfect shot it's not that simple, as later on there's enemies who have defenses against headshots. Also, I've had streaks of bad luck where my 30% crit felt like 1%.

I still get a ton of use out of the pistol, I'm certainly not knocking it as I'd say it's where most of my kills come from. But it's a risky close range weapon rather than the long range death machine the Red9 was.

How close are the enemies? I feel like the reticle becomes an inaccurate indicator of shot placement once the enemy is right up in your face, which is an argument for the laser sight style of aiming being functionally superior to what is used in TEW.

jett

D-Member
The imprecision isn't as much because of the frame rate as it is because of weird prompt triggering sometimes requiring fiddly character and camera placement. But thanks for letting us know how you feel about framerates. Again.

It's a combination of the cursor swimming around unless you upgrade aiming and the enemies dancing around to evade your shots.

Thrakier is just a third-rate troll at this point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's a combination of the cursor swimming around unless you upgrade aiming and the enemies dancing around to evade your shots.

Thrakier is just a third-rate troll at this point.

I thought we were talking about the imprecision of inputs like picking stuff up or climbing through a window. If we're talking about shooting, yeah, the game was designed to very imprecise prior to upgrades. Even after it doesn't feel great to me.

While Thrakier's posts are annoying like a troll's, I believe he genuinely lacks the ability to evaluate a game on any dimension other than framerate and has literally nothing else to contribute. It's a real tragedy.

Gloam

The last bit of Chapter 10 with the
eyeball monster
is giving me a lot of trouble. I keep messing up and getting stomped at the last hurdle.

Nemmy

The last bit of Chapter 10 with the
eyeball monster
is giving me a lot of trouble. I keep messing up and getting stomped at the last hurdle.

Grenades, sniping the
glowing eye vagina
with the rifle and running for cover like a little girl got me through that one. I kind of lucked out most likely though :p

Lulubop

Just finished the game, pretty decent. Not on par with RE4, or close but fun with satisfying combat. My time was 14:35 with 45 deaths. Honestly the hardest part in the entire game for me was getting passed the Chainsaw guy in chapter one. Like by far.

Riposte

What was so bad about the Chapter 6 boss? Kind of fast, but there are ways to counter that. I will say I spent a lot of ammo on the bastard.

kunonabi

What was so bad about the Chapter 6 boss? Kind of fast, but there are ways to counter that. I will say I spent a lot of ammo on the bastard.

I had trouble figuring out where he was with the texture pop in and slow moving camera. Never did get the hang out dodging him so I had to shoot him on his approach and I managed to get lucky that he went down with one good salvo of of electo/explosive bolts and shotgun shells. To be be fair I didn't level up my sprint or health at all so one hit pretty much equaled death at that point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought we were talking about the imprecision of inputs like picking stuff up or climbing through a window. If we're talking about shooting, yeah, the game was designed to very imprecise prior to upgrades. Even after it doesn't feel great to me.

While Thrakier's posts are annoying like a troll's, I believe he genuinely lacks the ability to evaluate a game on any dimension other than framerate and has literally nothing else to contribute. It's a real tragedy.
I've never seen anyone on any enthusiast forum be as one track minded as him and have only one metric of quality.

Andrew.

Banned
NG+ maxed out the sniper rifle damage and rate of fire. Thing became A BEAST.

Took it to the end boss of Chap 10. He was dead with 7 or 8 shots. The fire rate was insanely fast.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Took it to the end boss of Chap 10. He was dead with 7 or 8 shots. The fire rate was insanely fast.
I use it so rarely I haven't even upgraded it. Maybe I should beef it up the next chance I get.

Lulubop

Became? It's probably the best weapon for dealing with bosses and larger enemies, even without it being fully upgraded.

-MD-

Became? It's probably the best weapon for dealing with bosses and larger enemies, even without it being fully upgraded.

Yeah stock sniper is still a beast, drops
the Keeper
in 2 shots iirc, dropped the
chapter 10 boss (2nd phase)
in 5.

I dunno why people are downplaying Kotaku's point mentioning the unreliable prompts. I mentioned the same thing a while back, it's annoying as hell. Gets to the point that you have to plan around the game's inconsistencies rather than just good positioning. You have to give yourself time for mistakes in execution because sometimes the game just doesn't respond as quickly as it should concerning item pickups, ledge/cover hopping, pulling levers, pressing environmental buttons, and lighting bodies on fire. It's a legit complaint.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I dunno why people are downplaying Kotaku's point mentioning the unreliable prompts. I mentioned the same thing a while back, it's annoying as hell. Gets to the point that you have to plan around the game's inconsistencies rather than just good positioning. You have to give yourself time for mistakes in execution because sometimes the game just doesn't respond as quickly as it should concerning item pickups, ledge/cover hopping, pulling levers, pressing environmental buttons, and lighting bodies on fire. It's a legit complaint.
The prompts don't have to be on screen in order to trigger them. You just have to know what distance/position to be at. I got used to it after a couple chapters.

Andrew.

Banned

Not when you havent upgraded reload speed, rate of fire or damage. Its okay for distance shots, but you pump that shit UP SON.

The magnum is the weapon that is best suited for pretty much anything without upgrades.

The prompts don't have to be on screen in order to trigger them. You just have to know what distance/position to be at. I got used to it after a couple chapters.

Still found it to be very finicky. To be fair, this isn't the only game that has this issue, but it's punishing in TEW because of the tight corridors and one hit kills. Seb frequently wouldn't grab some ammo or climb a ledge with the speed the game expected of you at times. This is compounded by the tight FoV routinely keeping things right outside the frame. Just always feels like you're working around some kind of quirk that could've been ironed out.

-MD-

I've only experienced one of these things, lighting bodies on fire. I recall at least once I tossed a match down and it didn't light (perhaps twice).

Can't say I've run into any of the other problems. And if it's such a big issue that you're going into each encounter expecting it to not function properly or hit you with a delay then your console/PC/game is defective.

Gurish

I don't know what was the problem with him,
they are giving you a clear hint with that shocking bolt, it took me a couple of tries, but it's not so hard, you need to place the shock trap in front of you and when he charge toward you and gets stunned you stick an explosive bolt on its head and kaboom! :) he can't shake it anymore, wasn't too hard once i got that, really enjoyed that boss

And if it's such a big issue that you're going into each encounter expecting it to not function properly or hit you with a delay then your console/PC/game is defective.

It doesn't happen all the time, that why I've been using words like "sometimes" and "inconsistent." And no, my console is not the reason for The Evil Within's lack of polish in certain areas. I would praise the game if it was a tight experience all around. It's just not.

Doombear

I am only on chapter 11 Akumu, but so far no. As for NG+, there wasn't more on Survival. There are also more than 2-3 in Survival. I think there's at least 5.

Thanks Sanctuary, that is too bad I think. 5 sounds right, I just remember the number being pretty low and it all happening pretty close together and then that was that.

Lucent

Akumu has been the real survival horror so far. I mean damn. Chapters 1 and 2 were tense as hell alone. I was so nervous every time I snuck up on an enemy or threw a bottle because they're so quick to start running.

Just one day at a time. All I can handle.

Finished chapters 13 and 14 and thought they were great...which is weird because I swear I've seen a few posts on here disparaging them. :/ Anyone got an easier way to take down the two-faced monsters? They were quite the ammo sponges for me in several parts of the game.

Just started Chapter 2 and I don't find this scary/tense or entertaining. Pretty boring actually... Does it get better?

If you aren't enjoying it by Chapters 3-6, you probably won't like the rest. There's an immediate jump in quality after the poor opening chapters.

Finished chapters 13 and 14 and thought they were great...which is weird because I swear I've seen a few posts on here disparaging them. :/

I thought 13 and 14 were a lot of fun as well.

I never had an issue with prompts as they seemed to work without actually having to have the icon on screen, but there seemed to be a few times where I'd drop a match.....and it'd totally miss. Was rare enough to not be an issue though.

So I never got the fighters chance pack. I started the game before downloading it but installed it shortly after, probably after chapter 3. So I didnt get it my first go, I figured that is fine. I have not seen it in new game + or when I started in hard mode. People say you get it in chapter 3, I have never gotten it. WTF.

Lucent

So I never got the fighters chance pack. I started the game before downloading it but installed it shortly after, probably after chapter 3. So I didnt get it my first go, I figured that is fine. I have not seen it in new game + or when I started in hard mode. People say you get it in chapter 3, I have never gotten it. WTF.

It just appeared in my inventory when I started chapter 3. Just suddenly had a shotgun and medit. And the two DLC exclusive bolt types.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Remember, it's reviewed by the same buffoon who got stuck at the Agreus chase part in LoS2 for 4 (FOUR) fucking hours.

Hahahah shit, I forgot about that completely.

But yeah, I agree with the prompt issue. That stuff can crop up and gets annoying, it's not something the player should really need to be keeping in mind while they play.

So I finished chapter 6 last night. I heard chapter 7 is a doozy. Best chapter in the game?

One of them. Honestly I thought there were probably about 3 or so chapters that were in contention... I think 3, 7, and 10 were the cream of the crop. Several others were right behind them like 5, 6, 9, 13, and 15.

But if you downloaded it after starting a game it NEVER shows up? This is ridiculous.

Not true. I started all my versions up without it. Added the codes later. Downloaded. It worked after chapter 3. The shotgun you have to press a button to switch in the menu. The bolts are just in the list of bolts you can create. Seems like yours might have just glitched? Remove the DLC and redownload perhaps.

I can't decide which chapter I've enjoyed the most so far... I've finished the first seven chapters and bar the first chapter (which I didn't like) I've loved each and every one of them.

I do really enjoy using the environment, melee weapons and whatever else I can scrounge from the game to take out enemies. As a general rule I'm trying to use as few bullets as possible as I don't want to be stuck later in the game. I've got a decent supply of everything so far. I had fun with the
safe boss fight
in chapter 7. It took me two tries to get how to do the last bit but it was a great tense battle - especially as I elected to only fight him when I had to, to save ammo (and as it turns out the game gives you a trophy for that).

Just one thing I've kind of noticed, does stealth seem to take a back seat later in the game as I used it tons in the first 3 chapters but I've had fewer and fewer instances in the last couple of chapters to use it.

Either way, this is exactly what I wanted from the game, despite a slightly shaky frame rate at times.

I ran into a minor glitch on Chapter 8 several days ago but I was too lazy to get it off my PS4 and upload it to youtube until just now. Can't wait for that youtube implementation in firmware 2.00.

Sebastian Castellanos Learns Magic!

No worries guys, no spoilers at all in the video. Unless you count location as a spoiler.

Top Bottom