• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinobi602: Helldivers 2 has sold "way more" than 5 million units already.

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to Industry Insider Shinobi602 via Purple Forum, Helldivers 2 has sold "way more" than 5 million units already.

63vjSeA.png

Source

Edder1

This will only push PC releases closer and closer with their other games. PC masterrace keeps winning!

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I need to give a try. Hear alot of mix things if I can enjoy playing solo or not, which I would prefer.

This will only push PC releases closer and closer with their other games. PC masterrace keeps winning!
A surprise hit with a live game isn't going to make Sony change their entire strategy for single player games. Like...i'm sure they know doing multiplatform releases would get them more sales, lmao.

That said, as costs increase, i won't be surprised if PC starts to get day one releases once PS6 is here though.
Sony will want to have Ps Plus ready for PC as well. Maybe even release console / PC versions of their games who knows? Like, you buy them once and you get both (like they do with PS4 and PS5 versions)

Last edited:

Holammer

I have six guys on my Steam Friends list playing the game and that's pretty rare (with the exception of Counterstrike).

There are 258k user reviews right now. I usually multiply by x36 to arrive at a *rough* sales estimate (9.2M). Seems a bit much? Or is it? It's been parked on the #1 Global Top Seller for a month now.

Here are some other estimates from SteamDB.

killatopak

Amazing. I haven’t played the game myself because of my aversion to these types of games but I’m tempted since I saw the mech update coming soon. I’m a huge mecha fan so this is a great way to lure me in.

Amazing. I haven’t played the game myself because of my aversion to these types of games but I’m tempted since I saw the mech update coming soon. I’m a huge mecha fan so this is a great way to lure me in.
I've been out of playing mp games for a while now and this game feels right at home because most players don't give a fuck about optimal loadouts or meta weapons at low, medium, and some high level difficulties. It is stupid fun even with randoms. And more fun with friends.

Incredible success for the game to be a relatively unknown IP and almost outsell Spider-Man 2. That's absolutely bonkers.

Colin Moriarty is completely wrong about this not being the GaaS success Sony wants. Yeah, the monetization isn't aggressive, but doing these big of numbers is going to be a massive ROI and hit. And they can probably figure out how to keep it updated in a reasonable way and get some $ over time.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
A surprise hit with a live game isn't going to make Sony change their entire strategy for single player games. Like...i'm sure they know doing multiplatform releases would get them more sales, lmao.

That said, as costs increase, i won't be surprised if PC starts to get day one releases once PS6 is here though.
Sony will want to have Ps Plus ready for PC as well. Maybe even release console / PC versions of their games who knows? Like, you buy them once and you get both (like they do with PS4 and PS5 versions)
Exactly.

Yeah for Live Service games where the network effect matters, like Helldivers 2

Not for Single player games, where it's extremely difficult to optimize for multiuple SKUs at launch enough as it is. And secondly, where they risk players migrating to a rival storefront. Only way day and date happens is if Sony has a PC launcher.

Embearded

Received it earlier today for PS5.
Plays nice but the game doesn't look that good and quality mode is a slideshow even during the tutorial with nothing going on.
They need to fix it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ll get back into the game when I’m done with FF7. Which might take a while. Then again, I might get high tonight and play some H2. lol

Killjoy-NL

No chance.

We've seen what is happening to Xbox.
And Sony most certainly has been paying attention to what's happening to Xbox.
It's the perfect example of how not to run your business.

Edit:

GaaS will be Day 1 PC, obviously.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

I have six guys on my Steam Friends list playing the game and that's pretty rare (with the exception of Counterstrike).

There are 258k user reviews right now. I usually multiply by x36 to arrive at a *rough* sales estimate (9.2M). Seems a bit much? Or is it? It's been parked on the #1 Global Top Seller for a month now.

Here are some other estimates from SteamDB.
Gamalytic/VGI are pretty reliable, so probably between those two estimates. Hugely impressive. Wouldn't be surprised if PC represented over half the sales.

Crayon

How much would anyone guess the budgets for this, destruction all stars, and foamstars combined would be?

5m sales would be $200m. Assuming the other two games sold zero, and discounting microtransactions and future sales, that seems like it would cover all 3 handily, right?

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a great game. I only play 1-2 missions at a time because I get bored and the backlog is massive but it's pure quality from top to bottom. The presentation as a whole is the best thing I've seen in a long time, really impressive.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Congrats.
How many more months until the server structure can finally deal with the success?

It already can. The highest CCU peak was 2 weeks ago.

Completely different genres and Starfield had over 10 million people playing it at this stage.

Starfield was also a full price title and not found online for $15.

A bad comparison.
Starfield was supposed to have the cultural impact that Skyrim had, and become the must have have for xbox

HD2 is achieving that. HD2 is not starfield; is Halo and starfield combined regarding this cultural impact.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Received it earlier today for PS5.
Plays nice but the game doesn't look that good and quality mode is a slideshow even during the tutorial with nothing going on.
They need to fix it.

Helldivers 2 looks pretty good. You haven’t seen much. The environments and details are high res.

Top Bottom