• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shkreli smirks through eighth not guilty plea as lawyer successfully delays trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Shkreli smirks through eighth “not guilty” as lawyer successfully delays trial

Screen-Shot-2016-02-04-at-6.11.06-PM-640x311-640x311.png

Martin Shkreli, the infamous ex-pharmaceutical executive known for hiking the price of a life-saving drug, pled not guilty Monday to yet another criminal charge. The charge stems from an alleged Ponzi-like scheme in which he swindled his former pharmaceutical company, Retrophin, out of millions to cover losses of two failing hedge funds he managed.

Specifically, federal prosecutors allege with the new charge that Shkreli and his former counsel, Evan Greebel, conspired to conceal Shkreli’s ownership of some Retrophin shares from the Securities and Exchange Commission. The charge is Shkreli’s eighth and Greebel’s second in connection with the alleged scheme. Both men were first indicted in December and have pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

In a statement, Shkreli’s current lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said: “There is nothing in the new indictment that impacts in any way on the flawed theory of the case as applied to Mr. Shkreli.”

Still, Brafman, along with Greebel’s attorney, requested that US District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto delay setting a trial date until after they had received all of the documents related to the new charges. Matsumoto agreed, ordering the defendants back to court July 14 to set a trial date, possibly for sometime in early 2017.

In his usual manner, Shkreli appeared smug and confident before, during, and after today’s proceedings, including winking to the press on his way into the Brooklyn courtroom. On his way out, Shkreli smirked and used the popular social media app, Periscope, to live broadcast his return home, including a stop at Dunkin’ Donuts. There, another customer at the restaurant recognized Shkreli and asked how the hearing went, to which Shkreli replied: “It went great, the judge bitch-slapped the government, again.”

I'm less angry at Shkreli as I am at the system that allows such behavior in the first place. Because let's be real: He isn't the first person to utilize such underhanded and immoral tactics in the pharmaceutical industry. It's rife with people like him they just know to keep their heads down.

There, another customer at the restaurant recognized Shkreli and asked how the hearing went, to which Shkreli replied: “It went great, the judge bitch-slapped the government, again.”

This guy is the definition of a try-hard.

jay

I'm less angry at Shkreli as I am at the system that allows such behavior in the first place. Because let's be real: He isn't the first person to utilize such underhanded and immoral tactics in the pharmaceutical industry. It's rife with people like him they just know to keep their heads down.

No, it's important we first focus on individuals, then decide not to pay attention to those individuals. Problems solved.

ChouGoku

This guy is hilarious, truly the example of how fucked up the system is. Shouldn't hate this guy but the system that allows him to do this

I removed and re-type ~8 different comments and none of them are appropriate for discussion.

I don't fucking like this person!

kswiston

It's a shame that you can ruin the lives of thousands of people, and have courts unable to decide if you have done anything legally wrong (provided you are very rich).

Rembrandt

Banned
This guy is hilarious, truly the example of how fucked up the system is. Shouldn't hate this guy but the system that allows him to do this

I Like the guy. He pointed out the the company hasn't dropped the price of the drug or has anyone talked about that. Basically admitting to being a scapegoat. He knows he did nothing everybody else in that world isn't doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom