• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking Gaming Confessions: The thread

chase said:
Yeah. Now time to make the entire forum hate me:

- I think the MGS series is overrated (though I do enjoy it), especially here.
- I've never played a Master System game.
- I got a Gensis too late to get into it.
- I like N64 much more than PSX.
- I had more games for Xbox than PS2 last gen.
- I can't afford all the systems this gen and their $60 games and I still haven't decided what I'm going to get yet.
- I like NST
- I have to cheat to play most RTS
- I think GTA3 is one of the best games ever, while its sequels are somehow boring.
- I thought Shadow of the Colossus was just a good game, and not nearly as good as ICO.
- I hated Grim Fandango.
- I think Half Life 2 is overrated because the gunplay was astonishingly amateurish and boring.
- Halo 2 single player was terrible.
- TWW is the best Zelda game ever.
- The Hobbit on Xbox is the best LOTR game ever.
- Jak and Daxter was the best platformer of that generation. Jak 2 sucked
- The Jet Grind/Set Radio series of games is unplayable.
- Metroid Prime 2 was terrible.
- I can't play games like DMC3, NG, etc. because -- go figure -- I can't find a way to make rote memorization of button combinations into something fun.
- Primal was one of the best PS2 games.
- Skies of Arcadia is the best RPG ever.
- Silent Hill 2 sucked.
- I liked Star Fox Adventures.
- Tales of Symphonia was a bad game.
- Free Radical FPS games suck.
- Splinter Cell is the best new IP of the generation.

Last but not least. Maybe I just don't 'get it' but I don't think I like the elitist 'I'm going to insult you with 'big words' and a laugh smiley' attitude that so many gamers have. I also don't get how people can be so against one console, game company, fanbase or another that they feel the need to reference the fact in every post. I'd honestly like this explained. What kind of a person enjoys upsetting other people? I'm nearly 30 so maybe I missed out on the time when this was made a cool thing for people to do.

wow man i admire u ... u are the winner :lol

ps. except zelda, jak, metroid and halo 2 part :lol
i must agree there wiht ya totally

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
PantherLotus said:
1. I got to the very very end of FFVII and to Seph's 2nd or 3rd form (the one with Angel wings) and couldn't beat it. I never played it again.
Same, almost. I tried a 3 or 4 times then gave up.
3. Tetris Attack (Yoshi and cute friends) is the best puzzle game ever made.
That's not a confession, that is the goddamn gospel truth, my friend.

Link1110

Same here, I haven't even cared about one since playing the MGS3 demo and not liking it too much (Though I did get MGS3 Substinance for Disc 3.)

Some more:

I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best 2d platformer ever, surpassing everything Nintendo has ever done.

I waited in line at 7am on PSP launch day only to sell the PSP I bought and buy a 1.0 PSP off EBay, then I bought a second (third?) PSP to upgrade.

I refuse to play Paper Mario 2 because it's highly overrated (Every site gave it GC GotY over Tales of Symphonia)

Tales of Symphonia is the best current gen RPG released here (Until Abyss hits)

I refuse to play any more console FPSes because I can't stand the controls (I loved Doom 1&2 on PC, but when I bought the Doom 3 LE for $10, they were unplayable because of the awkward controls.)

I think the current announced PS3 library is junk, with only White Knight Story and Makai Wars being worth a dime of my money.

PSP's future lineup too, Outside of the Tales games.

(Yeah, those last 2 may sound fanboyish, but this -is- a confessions thread after all)

scarybore

chase said:

- I can't afford all the systems this gen and their $60 games and I still haven't decided what I'm going to get yet.
- I like NST
- I think GTA3 is one of the best games ever, while its sequels are somehow boring.
- I thought Shadow of the Colossus was just a good game, and not nearly as good as ICO.
- I hated Grim Fandango.
- I think Half Life 2 is overrated because the gunplay was astonishingly amateurish and boring.
- I can't play games like DMC3, NG, etc. because -- go figure -- I can't find a way to make rote memorization of button combinations into something fun.
- Silent Hill 2 sucked.

I agree with the bolded comments, though some of the unbolded I just can't agree with at all. Zelda, Halo 2 and Jet Set Radio series for example, and on that note;

Jet Set Radio > Jet Set Radio Future in music and gameplay.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
chase said:

- I like NST
- I hated Grim Fandango.
- Silent Hill 2 sucked.

Last but not least. Maybe I just don't 'get it' but I don't think I like the elitist 'I'm going to insult you with 'big words' and a laugh smiley' attitude that so many gamers have. I also don't get how people can be so against one console, game company, fanbase or another that they feel the need to reference the fact in every post. I'd honestly like this explained. What kind of a person enjoys upsetting other people? I'm nearly 30 so maybe I missed out on the time when this was made a cool thing for people to do.

Damn... never played a Master System game? You owe it to yourself to try Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, a great side scrolling action RPG. And also, you might be interested in playing the original Phantasy Star, to see the origins of Skies of Arcadia.

I definitely agree with a few of your points though... Halo 2's single player was dull as anything, Skies of Arcada was incredible, and the Metal Gear games, although good, are overrated (I still think mapping ducking/crouching and rolling (hit X plus a direction) is horrible and causes so many problems in gameplay)...

But it is nice to see I'm not the only one who thought Silent Hill 2 sucked. Maybe I've been hanging out too much on InsertCredit, where the game gets heaps of praise for its storytelling... Now, granted, it was very atmospheric and the story was pretty interesting and unique, but the game was a mess to play. Horrible level design (where 90% of the doors are locked and you can never go in, repetitive textures, find one item and have to trek back to use it again), mindless combat, stiff controls, horrible voice acting (though this could be on purpose), and not to mention the same frustrating puzzle logic (
Melting the wax statue and attaching the horseshoe to the grate, throwing a ton of soda cans down the trash bin, who would have ever gotten that stuff without a guide?
) that turned me off the PC adventure game genre a while back.

ronito

Oh and another thing. I really hate RTS games, they should be called resource management games instead of strategy games, and what's the fun in resource management?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Link1110 said:
I refuse to play Paper Mario 2 because it's highly overrated (Every site gave it GC GotY over Tales of Symphonia)
What if it is, in fact, better? Even if it's not, it's still an enjoyable game. You're seriously going to treat your purely speculative opinion as fact based entirely on some vendetta against others' opinions? Which you percieve as unfair despite not having the required experience with both games to properly substantiate such a claim? That's just dumb as hell.

SpacLock

- I've spent more time playing Halo 1 on Xbox Connect and Halo 2 on Xbox Live then all of the games i've played put together since NES.

- I never beat metroid 1 or 2 even though it's my favorite game series of all time up into Echoes.

- I think Super Metroid still out does both Metroid Primes.

- I bought a Playstation 2 before i bought a Super Nintendo.

- I went through 3 Playstation 2s and think that the hardware is worse then the 360 launch units.

- The only Marios i have beaten are Mario 64, Super Mario, and Sunshine.

- I like the new Sonic the Hedgehog and might even buy it.

- Gears of War made me buy a new hdtv even though i already owned one. Oh yeah, and it's not even out yet.

I think MGS Twin Snakes is the best out of the series and is one of my favorite games of all time.

- I went through 3 copies of Ninja Gaiden (2 were NG black) before finally keeping the game.

- I have owned over 5 Xbox 360 games but ended up selling them all. I'm not going to get antoher until Gears of War.

- GGXX: Reload is my 3rd favorite game of all time even though it's just a 2d fighter.

- When Halo 3 comes out i'm scared that i'll drop out of college.

Although I agreed with you on:

chase said:

Then you had to go and:

chase said:
- Silent Hill 2 sucked.

Your opinion is now 100% worthless to a stranger on the internet :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
-I hate Sony for destroying Dreamcast ( although, they made alot of mistakes themselves )
-I hate Halo
-I think Silent Hill is all kinds of F'ed up.
-I've never played Chrono Trigger
-I've finished Goldeneye 10 times or something :lol

Mar

I'm going to throw another one out there, and I'm sure I'm going to be ripped apart like a small furry animal amongst a pack of lions.

The franchises that every person and his dog have pants exploding moments over:

GTA
FF
MGS
DMC

I don't like at all.

GTA: Played Vice City, gave it away to my cousin after becoming bored.
FF: As mentioned in my last post in this thread. Only one I've ever liked was Mystic Quest.
MGS: Borrowed one of the PS2 versions off a friend to see what the fuss was about. I gave it back.
DMC: Played the first game on the PS2. It has the honour of being the only game in the world that's literaly almost put me to sleep whilst playing.

This is a personal confession. I'm not ripping on the games and saying they are crap. I can see they have high production values and understand why millions of people around the world love the games. But for some reason they just don't agree with me :(.

Downhome

Eh, I might as well give this a try also:

-I hate all turn-based RPGs. No matter how great the reviews are, no matter how many people love the game, I refuse to play it if the battles are turn-based.

-I've never totally understood the mass love for the Halo series. I enjoyed Red Faction II far better than either Halo game. I never went online with Halo, so maybe that's why.

-I only just a few days ago finally subscribed to Xbox Live for an extended period of time. I bought the Vision Cam pack and figured what the heck.

-I hate most fighting games. I just can't get into the games with all of the controls.

-I'd rather play a wrestling game than any other sort of fighting game. Truth be told, I subscribed to Xbox Live almost totally just to play SVR07 online.

-I can't get into straight up racing games. My only exception to this is something like Mario Kart where you have weapons.

-I'm almost sick of Stealth based games.

-I find myself play more casual games and unusual games now. Guitar Hero, Okami, various DS games, that sort of thing.

-To this day, Crystalis remains one of the best games that I've ever played.

Forceatowulf said:
I think Kenetica is a great game....

I'm with you there, Kenetica is a great game.

Last Hope

I never beat Halo 2.

I thought it was a pretty borring game actually.

The MP was great but who wouldn't have guessed? Copy a game that has had a ton of success.

Funky Papa said:
I got a review copy of Enter The Matrix yet I bought a retail one because I wanted it with a pretty box and its manual.

Try to surpass that.

This has probably been discussed already, but holy shit.

Also:

-I despise Halo. And I'm not exaggerating. I'll play the game for 5 minutes and get so damn bored I quit playing.

-I bought Xbox Live and haven't used it in 3 months because the only time I'm not busy is when the baby's asleep. Woe is me.

-To balance this out, aside from SOTC, I haven't bought a PS2 game since, like, Ratchet and Clank 2 or something. I really only owned the system so I could play Vice City. What a great decision that purchase was.

-I've never liked Metroid Prime. Bores me to tears. Don't know if it's the scanning, the switch to first person, or what, but I just couldn't get into it. Love it from an artistic/level design perspective, and the mechanics are amazing, but I just don't have fun with it. Metroid Prime 2 was a little more fun but I never bought it and only played the rental for like an hour.

-I own a PSP and play it more than the DS Lite, though I partially blame this on the Lite's gimped D-pad.

Ryun1

Mana Knight said:
Blinx The Timesweeper is one of my favorite Xbox games.
I am, unfortunately, partial to Voodoo Vince.

And my wife has kicked my ass at Bomberman since I showed her how to play.

Tarazet

Waqas said:
I have a sealed copy of fire emblem.

I have a sealed copy of Path of Radiance, no Gamecube to play it on, and now it's worth less than the $29.99 I paid for it. Woe is me..

LaMeRz

Me and my friends spent hours playing NFL QB Club 2001 on a trip. We didn't actually play the real game though. We spent abuot 8 hours each day for a week drinking and having team competitions doing the QB challenge.....it was great. I think we spent liek an hour that hwole week playing Super Smash Bros. Melee

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I don't think that there's is a game that emulates the physics of water better than WaveRace 64.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
there's something very awesomely cathartic about reading this thread; like there's a kinship in two people sharing dislike for a game that is wholly different from two people liking one. very interesting stuff.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I've never played God of War, Devil May Cry, or Halo (or any of their sequels). Not that I haven't tried (at least on the PS2 ones). I tried to rent GoW and DMC several times from Blockbuster (corporate shithole of hell), but never really bothered again.

:(

I know I missed out.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
PantherLotus said:
I've never played God of War, Devil May Cry, or Halo (or any of their sequels). Not that I haven't tried (at least on the PS2 ones). I tried to rent GoW and DMC several times from Blockbuster (corporate shithole of hell), but never really bothered again.

:(

I know I missed out.

not really.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Aristotlekh said:
-I own a PSP and play it more than the DS Lite, though I partially blame this on the Lite's gimped D-pad.
If the DS pad is gimped, the PSP one is muscular distrophy'd.

I think WoW sucks and is boring.
I never played God of War (but I would like too).

Oh and I hate all of the Final Fantasy-games after FF6.

And I only played Monkey Island 4 for about 3 hours. So I didn´t end it and I never played MI one, two or three.

Ryun1 said:
I am, unfortunately, partial to Voodoo Vince.

And my wife has kicked my ass at Bomberman since I showed her how to play.

I ****ing love that game. Amazing atmosphere for a platformer. Bunch of cool concepts too. Execution had some problems though. Right up there with Psychonauts as one of my favorite last-gen platformers.

Also, the PSP D-pad is not nearly as bad at diagonals as the Lite one, though it does suck. Thankfully most games don't require you use it for much.

RayX

Funky Papa said:
I got a review copy of Enter The Matrix yet I bought a retail one because I wanted it with a pretty box and its manual.

Try to surpass that.

I bought and ejoyed both FifaStreet 1 and 2 on XBox... and even though I continue to say it's rubbish, I loved them.

Top Bottom