• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Bethesda "finally" confirms that Human Head's Prey 2 is cancelled

DryvBy

That sucks. I loved the first one. I rented it and couldn't put it down, so I bought it on Steam after I returned it.

Kolgar

Played Prey early this year. I'll never forget it. Sooo good.

Loved what I saw of Prey 2; here's hoping something of that E3 demo resurfaces in some form eventually--it looked incredible.

Denton

Really wish someone confirmed from Human Head would post full uncensored detailed post mortem on Prey 2 including all of the Bethesda's behavior towards them. Damn that would be an interesting reading.

But even then, I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to Dishonored 2 and Arkane Prey, whatever that may end up being.

Goddamn it! I was really looking forward to Prey 2, it was one of the few games that actually got me excited for the next generation.

There are accounts from various developers/people that Bethesda's publishing side will provide a vague set of milestones that need to be met, then, once development has progressed far enough, they'll arbitrarily say development isn't up to snuff and will threaten to cancel the project unless the developer sells themselves to Bethesda.

Human Head decided to have a strike of sorts after this "proposal" and that ended up causing their version of Prey 2 to be canceled.

EA is said to do the same thing, Imo there should be some sort of legal protections of buyouts in such a way.

There are accounts from various developers/people that Bethesda's publishing side will provide a vague set of milestones that need to be met, then, once development has progressed far enough, they'll arbitrarily say development isn't up to snuff and will threaten to cancel the project unless the developer sells themselves to Bethesda.

Human Head decided to have a strike of sorts after this "proposal" and that ended up causing their version of Prey 2 to be canceled.

this is 100% true

Mr. Tibbs

"The IP is ours. We still own Prey, and it is still a franchise that we think is interesting and worth exploring, and something that we would like to do a game with in in the future. But Prey 2, as a 'thing', is over. It's not like 'cancelled, but we'll take it to somebody else', it's done. It's not going to exist, it's not going to some other studio to work on or see if we can make something of it."

"It seems that the decision to shutter development on Prey 2 was made a while ago, as Hines said he "didn't remember" when Bethesda decided to cancel it." - LOL!

http://www.totalxbox.com/82350/prey-2-has-been-cancelled-says-bethesdas-pete-hines/

I just checked the forums
and they have finally removed the forum as well
it was there just a few days ago

but I worry about BGS and what's happening with them and Todd
I do NOT like Zenimax

That's a shame. The Human Head footage did look awesome, and incredibly polished. Looked like Mirror's Edge crossed with Bobba Fett. I wonder if another publisher could team up with Human Head and make a cool sci-fi game, because I really liked the world building, alien races and style HH created.

robin2

(Please don't kill me) it looked like an instance of "Ubisoft Game", to me.

Arkane's version already sounds better on paper ("System Shock spiritual successor").

Jetman

Wow. Very interesting. I've never heard any of this stuff on Bethesda's shady practices. Some press sneak fuck should nail them to the wall on this shit for all to see.

Skux

(Please don't kill me) it looked like an instance of "Ubisoft Game", to me.

Arkane's version already sounds better on paper ("System Shock spiritual successor").

Well, Ubisoft games actually come out on time.

This whole thing was a mess and I don't think there was anyone who was optimistic this was going to be a successful game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fuck you Bethesda for cancelling an almost finished game due to politics and for fucking the studio over.

Also fuck outta here with the quality standards, because you ain't got any Bethesda. They're easily one of the scummiest and shady publishers out there.

Denton

Fuck you Bethesda for cancelling an almost finished game due to politics and for fucking the studio over.

Also fuck outta here with the quality standards, because you ain't got any Bethesda. They're easily one of the scummiest and shady publishers out there.

The saddest thing is that all of this is true, Bethesda is scummy and Pete Hines is master of lies, but at the same time Bethesda just keeps making awesome singleplayer games without forcing shitty MP on them. Evil Within, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, New Vegas, Rage...all these are just great SP games and I am excited as fuck about both Dishonored 2 and Prey 2 from Arkane.

Of course then they flush all their profits from SP games into MMO trainwreck that is ESO, but that is another story..

The saddest thing is that all of this is true, Bethesda is scummy and Pete Hines is master of lies, but at the same time Bethesda just keeps making awesome singleplayer games without forcing shitty MP on them. Evil Within, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, New Vegas, Rage...all these are just great SP games and I am excited as fuck about both Dishonored 2 and Prey 2 from Arkane.

They publish those games. Going by what we know of their practices, those games were/will be great in spite of Bethesda.

Marcel

Of course then they flush all their profits from SP games into MMO trainwreck that is ESO, but that is another story..

ALL their profits? Yo, how does business work?

PREY 2 IS TRENDING ON TWITTER, REAL DETAILS LEAKED, VGX?

2secondslater

OMG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Grief.exe

The bad news is we will never see Prey 2 as Human Head originally envisioned, the good news is,the studio was able to fight off a hostile takeover attempt.

Arkane's take on Prey 2 as a spiritual successor to System Shock is very intriguing. Hopefully Human Head can leverage some of their ideas for Prey 2 with another publisher.

I just saw this. What a damn shame - Prey 2 looked fantastic. One of the only games I can ever remember seeing where the gameplay demo looked to actually replicate all of the terrific looking action from a pre-rendered trailer.

I'm positive we'll see another Prey game someday - Zenimax wouldn't spend money on an IP just to let it languish. But I am incredibly disappointed that that eventual game won't be developed by Human Head.

Denton

ALL their profits? Yo, how does business work?

Yo, how does hyperbole work?
Still, ESO's gargantuan budget must have eaten pretty well into those profits. I suspect that might be part of the reason why they are trying to shake down Oculus/Facebook.

They publish those games. Going by what we know of their practices, those games were/will be great in spite of Bethesda.

They publish them, which means they greenlit them in the first place and then financed them. That is somewhat important aspect of game development.

Mr. Tibbs

It's encouraging to see developers stand up for their work.

untitledp5q9j.png

Ex-Human Head developers Nathan Cheever and Amelia Von Haden.

They publish them, which means they greenlit them in the first place and then financed them. That is somewhat important aspect of game development.

They don't deserve any respect for strong-arming every developer they work with into letting themselves be bought out.

You've just acknowledged their terrible business practices — less terrible publishers could've funded good games by Arkane, Obsidian, Etc. Just lament that the developers working on Bethesda games have been roped in at all. There's no good reason to feel conflicted here because "Bethesda makes awesome games" when it's actually the people they're trying to hostilely take over who are the ones making them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Rage has multiplayer: a four-player car racing mode (which essentially acts as the game's deathmatch mode) and a two-player co-op mode based on stories told by NPCs throughout the SP campaign.

Denton

Rage has multiplayer: a four-player car racing mode (which essentially acts as the game's deathmatch mode) and a two-player co-op mode based on stories told by NPCs throughout the SP campaign.

True, I completely forgot about that. Yeah that is a shame, they should never have made that MP (or did anyone play it?) and instead make proper ending to the singleplayer. That ending they got was just atrociously cut.

They don't deserve any respect for strong-arming every developer they work with into letting themselves be bought out.

You've just acknowledged their terrible business practices — less terrible publishers could've funded good games by Arkane, Obsidian, Etc. Just lament that the developers working on Bethesda games have been roped in at all. There's no good reason to feel conflicted here because "Bethesda makes awesome games" when it's actually the people they're trying to hostilely take over who are the ones making them.

Well that is the question, isn't it. Would those games come into existance if Bethesda didn't greenlit and finance them ? Because there are not many publishers willing to fund independently developed games. Most pubs are now solely focused on internal development. Warhorse pitched their amazing looking Kingdom Come to 15 publishers and nobody bit.
I do hate Bethesda's practices, they are disgusting, but the games they finance, even possibly disgustingly, simply are great. Dishonored in particular is one of the best games ever.
Of course it is true that Bethesda isn't really funding independent games either. They buy the studio or fuck it over if it won't let itself get bought. Sigh.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
True, I completely forgot about that. Yeah that is a shame, they should never have made that MP (or did anyone play it?) and instead make proper ending to the singleplayer. That ending they got was just atrociously cut.

Yeah, I don't blame you for forgetting about the MP, haha. At least there's the Scorcher DLC.

Mr. Tibbs

Human Head issued a statement to various websites. It's the first time they've talked about Prey 2 in 3 years.

“We can confirm that Human Head Studios has not been involved with Prey 2 for some time,” Tim Gerritsen, business development director at Human Head told VG247.

“While we are disappointed that we won’t be able to deliver our vision of the game, we remain proud of our work on the franchise, which we feel speaks for itself, including the award-winning presentation of the game at E3 2011.

We enjoyed working with the many talented people at Bethesda, and we wish them all the best of luck with any future plans they may have for the franchise.”

Top Bottom