• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Baron

Just snagged myself a Truxton JAMMA board for relatively cheap! Good god this game is awesome...

The music is just as great as I remember it being - though the sounds in the arcade version sound much deeper.

Anyway - I don't see a lot of Toaplan love here... Probably because they no longer exist :(. But shooter fans should check out their catalog. They are not the bullet-hell shooters we see today, and the Toaplan games have a specific feel to them. Check out Truxton or Dogyuun (my personal fav) and you'll see what I mean. If any of you guys buy boards - please check this game out!

Truxton was one of my favorite arcade games as a youngster. I loved everything about the game. I was also better at it than the other prominent shoot-em-up at the time, R-Type II. I could get much farther with less money on Truxton. Nice to see some Truxton love in here.

gunstarhero

Truxton was one of my favorite arcade games as a youngster. I loved everything about the game. I was also better at it than the other prominent shoot-em-up at the time, R-Type II. I could get much farther with less money on Truxton. Nice to see some Truxton love in here.

Have you ever played Truxton 2? Im curious about it - never had the chance to play it.

Anyway - I don't see a lot of Toaplan love here... Probably because they no longer exist :(. But shooter fans should check out their catalog. They are not the bullet-hell shooters we see today, and the Toaplan games have a specific feel to them. Check out Truxton or Dogyuun (my personal fav) and you'll see what I mean. If any of you guys buy boards - please check this game out!

I love me some Toaplan. I've played quite a bit of Batsugun, and I really liked that one, although it was kind of a slow burn at first. I watch a lot of classic game room and the reviewer loves Truxton and references it all the time, so it's on the "to do list." I really need to explore more of their catalog.

Yes Boss!

Anybody know if this computer would be strong enough to run Crimzon Clover and output it to my HDTV? Don't have anyway to play the game and looking for a cheap alternative to buying a PC:

Intel Atom Processor 1.66GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
NVIDIA ION
Windows 7 Home Premium

Any love for R-Type III? I started playing it recently and I really love it. It's a bit ambitious for the SNES/SFC CPU though, there is a ton of slowdown.

Dave Long

Banned
Lots of love for R-Type III. It's spectacular for a SNES game.

One game I'd really like to track down that's also on SNES is Space Megaforce. I really need to play that someday.

Speaking of Toaplan...

Toaplan's Outzone just showed up on the iOS App Store. I don't know if it's legit though. Looks like some Chinese company released this iOS port.

Tain

That's super weird. I wonder if it's using that iOS MAME.

I'd love to know who has the Toaplan rights right now.

ghibli99

Any love for R-Type III? I started playing it recently and I really love it. It's a bit ambitious for the SNES/SFC CPU though, there is a ton of slowdown.
I have yet to finish it, but yeah, awesome game. So much variety just in that first stage, and some of the effects (like that giant rotating hexagonal thing) just blew me away back in the day!

I don't know how well Space Megaforce has held up. I remember thinking that when I revisited it several years ago that the levels felt unnecessarily long. The big draw back then was the abundant use of scaling & rotation, but I still preferred Genesis shooters at the time.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm definitely a Genesis shooters guy. I recently bought Truxton and have been impressed with that on the Genesis. One of those I never did play back then. That's why I didn't play Space Megaforce... but I feel like I need to correct that. I own M.U.S.H.A. and Compile makes great shooters. Just want to play something else I missed...

Haha. I got Genesis Truxton in 2005 for $0. A local KB Toys was closing down and clearing out all its stock, and I saw Truxton, still sealed from like 1989 or whenever in one of the bins. When the clerk rang it up, the register said $0.00 and he just looked at the total for a few seconds, shrugged and handed it to me.

Dave Long

Banned
ROFL! You know if you still have it that you can get like $40 (or more) for it? It's actually become pretty valued. I found one for $6 at a local game store, cart only. I snagged it even though I always prefer box and book for Genesis games.

It's really frustrating how many people threw away their SEGA packaging. I don't care what gen you're talking about... SEGA put their games in packaging that would last, 32X and latter year Genesis stuff aside (the cardboard ones...). Why throw that stuff away ever?!

Yeah, I get why people would trash older Nintendo stuff since it was all cardboard, but the old Sega clamshells were the truth.
The western Sega CD and Saturn cases on the other hand were a big misstep though. I always see those cracked or shattered, with broken hinges or missing lids.

Dave Long

Banned
They're not the best, no. I would have preferred something akin to the Genesis cases. I kind of didn't like that Sony standardized to regular old CD packaging. I thought those early longboxes were neat for Wipeout and the like.

When they're intact though, the SEGA Saturn stuff looks great on a shelf. :)

Old Toaplan is freaking awesome , I have Tatsujin Oh aka Truxton 2 and the game looks incredible and is rock hard .
When you lose a life you will get set back to the last checkpoint and lose all your power ups which is pretty terrible in the later levels so better don't die ;)
I already had the lovely Dogyuun with super weapons , great music and the weird option to combine the player 1 and 2 ship to make a bigger super ship and I just now scored Vimana on the fleabay an hour ago .
Life is good !

Just picked up Battle Garegga for Saturn. (Not sure if you just 'pick up' a $100+ game.) Not really feeling it. The bullets are too hard to see; kind of hurts my eyes.

BOTEC

That's why I never jumped in, I could never get into Garrega. Too bad Batrider never got a port. I'd drop $100+ on that one.

SOME-MIST

I love garegga - surely I'm not the only one?? My only problem is that I'm not sure how to go about getting a decent stick for it :(

BOTEC

I love garegga - surely I'm not the only one?? My only problem is that I'm not sure how to go about getting a decent stick for it :(

I just got a ToToTek PS2->Saturn adapter and a PS2 HRAP recently. It took a bit of luck, since those things go fast once restocked, and a PS2 RAP is getting harder to find.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Speaking of Toaplan...

Toaplan's Outzone just showed up on the iOS App Store. I don't know if it's legit though. Looks like some Chinese company released this iOS port.

I took the bullet and bought this.

Do not buy this.

Dave Long

Banned
I have the official Saturn stick. It's not awful. Certainly decent enough for shooters. You can get one relatively cheap.

I was fortunate to get one of the ASCII sticks for Dreamcast recently from a GAF member. Always wanted one of those for the DC shooting/fighting games.

There's an option to change the bullets to something easier to see I believe.

Yeah, if anyone else wants to know how to do this...

Go to OPTIONS, hit right bumper to access the second page, and then turn the last option on the list to ON. Exit from the menu with START and then when you go back in you'll see everything in English. Hit right bumper again and there will be a RED BALL option. Turn this on.

It looks like it just changes the bullets that are actually targeted to you; the ones that spray in pre-set patterns (most boss bullets) stay the same.

meppi

Just picked up Battle Garegga for Saturn. (Not sure if you just 'pick up' a $100+ game.) Not really feeling it. The bullets are too hard to see; kind of hurts my eyes.

Don't worry too much about it.
It's a game that takes a while for it to click. I wouldn't change the bullets actually, but that's just me.
When I got it myself about 15 years ago, I bought it with a bunch of others as I finally got my own Visa card and could start to import all the games I liked.
Soukyugurentai, Gekirindan, Strikers 1945, Dodonpachi, Blast Wind, The Game Paradise, Gunbird, Salamander Deluxe Pack, Battle Garegga, Shienryu, Arcade Gears: Gun Frontier all were in my first batch of games.
Of that stack of shooters Battle Garegga was the one that I had lots of trouble with.
But a friend told me to stick with it and just give it time. He certainly was right. Once it clicked it turned into one of my favorite shooters on the Saturn. :)

meppi

To be honest it is pretty janky, but for some reason I really do love the game.
There's hiccups in the game every time a boss loads. (yeah, don't ask me why that even happens. :-/ )
The music is especially great I think, but it's pretty much one music track played over and over again with a couple of remixes, or at least that's how it feels.

It's been a long time since I played it, but if you can find it for a decent price I'd still pick it up.
I do have to say that a friend of mine picked the game up at the same time as me and ended up hating it and calling it the worst shooter in his collection.

BOTEC

I'm pretty sure the version included on Taito Legends 2 is relatively free of jank. I never played the Saturn port, so I can't say for certain though.

gunstarhero

I have the PCB - it absolutely takes some getting used to, but once it does - it's awesome.

Sit close to the screen, and only shoot when necessary - those are the best tips for Garegga :)

Good to see the Toaplan love still being thrown around here. I put Truxton on hold and have been playing a lot of Outzone lately. Such a great game - the music a lone is worth the price of the board.

Need to find me Batsugun - it's just so damn pricey!

meppi

Talking about pricey Toaplan games, I'm afraid to ask what kinda price Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol.1 on the PSone goes for nowadays.
Looking at how games such as Zanac X Zanac, Harmful Park and Gaia Seed are priced these days, I'm glad I picked them all up many years ago when they were retail price more or less.

Yes Boss!

To be honest it is pretty janky, but for some reason I really do love the game.
There's hiccups in the game every time a boss loads. (yeah, don't ask me why that even happens. :-/ )
The music is especially great I think, but it's pretty much one music track played over and over again with a couple of remixes, or at least that's how it feels.

It's been a long time since I played it, but if you can find it for a decent price I'd still pick it up.
I do have to say that a friend of mine picked the game up at the same time as me and ended up hating it and calling it the worst shooter in his collection.

Ah thanks. I saw that Tokyo Shmups put up a new copy for $75. Did some research and the reviews kinda seemed bad.

I'll pass for now.

Interested if folks have any opinions on Vasara. I was a big fan of Visco's Andro Dunos and trying to find a cheap-ish board to buy. Intrigued by this title.

BOTEC

I played a little bit of Vasara 1 and 2. They looked very nice, with colorful graphics and anime style, but the actual shooting game didn't grab me. It seemed a little slow.

Speaking of Toaplan, I'd love to have an arcade perfect version of V-V (Grindstormer). That game and Raiden are the two games that started my STG addiction.

Shinriji

As a new PS Vita owner and addicted to the Cave games on iPhone, I started to see what the PSP has. So far I bought Prehistoric Isle, Strikers 1945 Plus and Bermuda Triangle. Strikers in fact is the most beautiful PSP game on vita that I have right now, too bad that mais game isn't the best thing that Psykyo brought us. So, how about NeoGeo Heroes and Gradius Collection?

And funny that you can now buy PSN avatars from Sonic Wings series.

Yes Boss!

Gradius Collection is a must-buy. For Gaiden alone.

Neo Geo Heroes is fun for the fans but it is a bit low on framerate on the PSP. A bit better on XBLA. PSP does have more stuff in it, though.

There are some good shooters on the PSN store that are PS1 games. R-Type Delta, Gaia Seed and a bunch others.

meppi

I was a big fan of Visco's Andro Dunos and trying to find a cheap-ish board to buy. Intrigued by this title.

I think you're the first person I've come across that loves Andro Dunos. (Perhaps Lee from VGI liked it as well, can't remember)
The game seems to be looked down upon as one of the bottom of the barrel games on the Neo Geo by many, many people.
So when I bought it for my AES, I was very pleasantly surprised to find such a little treasure.
Sure, it's quite basic in setup, but it does everything exactly right.
I'm having a very hard time describing what I like so much about it, I just do. :)

Oh yeah, $75 for Saturn Gekirindan is a bit too much I think. If it went for 30, I'd say give it a go.
But since I'm not sure you'll love it or even like it for that matter, I'd say go for the Taito collection to be sure and you'll probably find a better conversion in the progress.
Not even sure it's on there actually, even though I have the Pal versions and 2 of the japanese Taito compilations I believe... :-/

Dave Long

Banned
Andro Dunos is pretty good. I think one of the reasons it's not held in high esteem is because it doesn't push the Neo hardware at all. It has a very 16-bit feel to it.

Doesn't mean it doesn't play well, though. It's definitely entertaining.

Yes Boss!

OMG, a new 360 shooter coming. I thought the system might be dead for the genre. Excited.

Wondering if the new Wii will get shooters. Hope so.

meppi,

Back in high school I had an AES when they launched it here in the US. Mostly had the early catalog but I did have three shooter games I loved dearly: Andro Dunos, Viewpoint, and Last Resort. Don't know if they are considered good or not but they some are of my favorites (kinda like Gradius for the Super Fami).

Been waiting for a VC of Andro but it has never surfaced after all these years :-( Probably gonna go for the MVS version.

I think we'll probably hear more on Ginga Force in this month's Famitsu Xbox360. There are pretty much no other PR opportunities for such small shooter companies anymore, so they're probably saving everything for the mag.

Such a short window from announcement to launch, I honestly wonder what kind of game we're going to see here. Qute is actually mainly an internet services/information system company, so the shooter stuff is definitely done on the side. I recall reading an interview with the Eschatos devs where they said some other project they'd done had succeeded, so the boss gave the OK to do a new shooter. Seems like Eschatos did well for them (probably 8-10k copies), so they got the go ahead to make a new one. Probably helped a bit that it was region-free actually. Echatos came out in April, 2011 so assuming they got the go-ahead right around that time they've had a little over a year of dev time.

It probably won't compete with Eschatos, which had Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins to buff it out, but definitely curious to see what they do. I hope it has less "irrational death" portions like those points in Eschatos where the screen scrolls in some incomprehensible way and you wind up slamming into a battleship. Most likely they've gotten used to 3D programming so we'll see something more consistent.

Personally I had a love/hate reaction to Eschatos (wound up only really liking the "Advanced" mode) so this is going to be a "wait and see" title for me.

News day!

Kokuga release date announced:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38841953#post38841953

September 27th, JPN, 5040 yen.

Revolver 360 sequel announced (!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGgg6HmrM4

Summer 2012

Images of Ginga Force surface:

91IJ4SI40xL._AA1500_-300x300.jpg

91PYlkC-N7L._AA1500_-300x300.jpg

61jA3phGFUL._AA1280_-300x300.jpg

71nqhitJQEL._AA1280_-300x300.jpg