• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

BOTEC

I just with Hori would get serious about their own US branch. I've just shot them an email asking if they have plans to release this stick over here, like I do every time they announce some new hotness in Japan, and the answer is corporate boilerplate for "no."

For some not-CAVE check out Raiden Fighters Aces, a collection of the terrific Raiden spin-offs. Some Gamestops still have it, and are only charging $10 for it. Worth it for the masterful third entry alone, which is one of the most fun video games (of any genre) that I've ever played.

Loving the cost of these games...everything is around $10 and should keep me busy for quite awhile. Thanks!

I just with Hori would get serious about their own US branch. I've just shot them an email asking if they have plans to release this stick over here, like I do every time they announce some new hotness in Japan, and the answer is corporate boilerplate for "no."

=( I was honestly surprised when I did the same when the Fighting EDGE was announced and they responded in the affirmative!

gunstarhero

Neo XYX trailer is up: http://youtu.be/X5zM6_YqWeU

Bobcat Bombs automatically make this my GOTY.

Only minor complaint I have is your ship moves really fast in this vids... Was expecting a bit slower like Rtype or Truxton. Maybe it's adjustable?

Game looks amazing - cant wait for June.

Seik

Banned
Hey shmup GAF! I can't believe I missed this thread all this time!

Here's what started me on shmups, Lords of Thunder (Winds of Thunder for the JAP version)! It began on Wii's VC. A few years later, I finally bought it! It's rare when I hear about this game, even on GAF, so I'll give it a bit of glory.

Dat artwork, stuff of legends I tell you!!!!

dsc01055q9u3b.jpg

dsc01056qluge.jpg

Seriously, those who never played: you fucking should.

Hey shmup GAF! I can't believe I missed this thread all this time!

Here's what started me on shmups, Lords of Thunder (Winds of Thunder for the JAP version)! It began on Wii's VC. A few years later, I finally bought it! It's rare when I hear about this game, even on GAF, so I'll give it a bit of glory.

[...]

Dat artwork, stuff of legends I tell you!!!!

Seriously, those who never played: you fucking should.

Dat soundtrack.

meppi

The originality in bullet patterns alone makes this a joy to play.
Such a terrific game. Shame we don't see more diverse shooter releases these days.

What are the other must-have PC Engine CD (CD only - I have no method of playing card games) shmups? Sapphire I know is well respected, as are the Spriggan games from Compile.

jbueno

Product listing is up for the shooting stick.

Ridiculously sexy. Hope it gets made and hope westerners have an opportunity to buy it.

http://www.hori.jp/products/xbox360/controller/realarc_pro_ax_stg/

Damn, I wish they used PS-14s as I have become to used to them and vastly prefer them for STGs. Still it would be a good successor to the trusty HRAP EX-SE, if it ever decides to fail on me. Crossing my fingers for a US release.

EDIT:
What are the other must-have PC Engine CD (CD only - I have no method of playing card games) shmups? Sapphire I know is well respected, as are the Spriggan games from Compile.

A bit pricy, but I hear good things about Nexzr Special. There´s 3 active listings on ebay at the moment.

Gate of Thunder. If you don't mind the somewhat easy difficulty and lack of a modern scoring system, Gate of Thunder is fantastic. I can play that one over and over again.

Yes Boss!

Damn, I wish they used PS-14s as I have become to used to them and vastly prefer them for STGs. Still it would be a good successor to the trusty HRAP EX-SE, if it ever decides to fail on me. Crossing my fingers for a US release.

There in no way that it is ever coming to NA. 0% chance. Here is to hoping that at least the japanese pull through and preorder enough to actually see it go into production. It is also not a cheap stick at 18000 yen.

US Winds box is actually pretty dope, too. NEC was already into TTI mode at release, and the big ugly DUO logo is up there.

lords_zps4c336846.jpg

jbueno

There in no way that it is ever coming to NA. 0% chance. Here is to hoping that at least the japanese pull through and preorder enough to actually see it go into production. It is also not a cheap stick at 18000 yen.

Bummer, I was kind of hoping to get a new 360 stick this year and that looked nice. A HRAP VX SE Kai would be nice, pricy and hard to get though.

BOTEC

US Winds box is actually pretty dope, too. NEC was already into TTI mode at release, and the big ugly DUO logo is up there.

lords_zps4c336846.jpg

Wait. The cover was drawn by Masamune Shirow? MIND BLOWN!

Vitacat

And for shooter fans who don't follow the stick thread, Hori announced a Shooting stick. Generic, but clearly designed after Dodonpachi and with SDOJ release in mind. Also, the best mix of Seimitsu stick with Sanwa buttons (the pricier RG versions).

sdoj_zpsee9e580f.jpg

Very nice.

At the moment I have a Qanba SE with all Seimitsu. That Hori with SE and SA mixed would probably be amazing. Of course, I could always just add SA buttons to my Qanba and get the same thing, and it's PS3/360/PC compatible.

Teknoman

Star Parodier (Parodia?) is pretty cool if you set it on hard or the hidden harder difficulty (some hand tries to grab your power ups so you have to really fight to stay strong).

BOTEC

Oh, it's coming to 360? Nice!
I thought it would be an arcade only release.

I was actually surprised by the arcade news. For some reason I was under the impression this would be a home console exclusive. Really glad about the arcade release.

Alright SHMUP GAF, this is the first part of my shmup collection for Saturn. I haven't received the Pachis yet as well as Radiant Silvergun, Hyper Duel, Cotton 2 and Salamander Pack. I still need to find Battle Garegga and Blast Wind for cheap and I'd like to get a hand on the TF packs, Darius 2, Gradius pack, Kingdom Grand Prix and others. Man, those power-trip collec-a-ton sure are freaking expensive haha! Otherwise I am cool with it considering I got all of them for cheaper than usual market price.

EjMQRWo.jpg

Very nice, papersleeves. LOL @ your pending list. It's going to feel like Christmas every day if they slowly trickle in.

Silhouette Mirage eh?

Well fine, I'm counting my Elevator Action Returns and Assault Suit Leynos 2 as shmups. Fuck it, Cannon Spike is a shmup too then.

Very nice, papersleeves. LOL @ your pending list. It's going to feel like Christmas every day if they slowly trickle in.

Silhouette Mirage eh?

Well fine, I'm counting my Elevator Action Returns and Assault Suit Leynos 2 as shmups. Fuck it, Cannon Spike is a shmup too then.

Well, you know, not really a shmup in the traditional sense, but more like run & gun type a la Metal Slug or Leynos 2 kind of........shmups ok you got me there I wanted to do a 3x3 square.

Yes Boss!

Watched a bit of that over lunch break. Looks fricken' fantastic. Can't wait 'till next week. If I'm lucky EMS will deliver it for Saturday...four day weekend for me, so that would be perfect.

Are you doing Katsucon? Would be awesome to give that a run in the game room :3

Game just released today. Wasn't able to grab a copy since it's Valentine's day and I was busy with the GF. : /

I don't think ": /" would be my face in your situation

Beckx

Home version, but maybe also arcade. They definitely are positioning this as a console game, that will also get an arcade run.

Thanks! Just found the listing on Play-Asia, need to check in this thread more often to stay up on the non-Cave shmups. Ginga Force is good? I haven't tried any of Qute's games.

*takes a deep breath*

Aww Yeah FINALLY! I spent the last hour completing Donpachi and Hyper Duel, on to Radiant now :)
(Sorry for the flash, not much light in the room I was)
UFK5mT2.jpg

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Ginga Force doesn´t look too hot, hopefully the game itself will deliver.
I think arcade mode (which I'm hoping someone will upload footage of soon) and the two hidden games will deliver in a way similar to Eschatos. So if you weren't into that, then yeah I'd skip Ginga Force.

I really like Eschatos so I'm sad I can't justify getting GF right now. Too much other stuff on my plate.

Is Ginga Force region free?
It is absolutely region free.

jbueno

I think arcade mode (which I'm hoping someone will upload footage of soon) and the two hidden games will deliver in a way similar to Eschatos. So if you weren't into that, then yeah I'd skip Ginga Force.

I really like Eschatos so I'm sad I can't justify getting GF right now. Too much other stuff on my plate.

I never got around to buying Eschatos, game simply slipped off my radar but it definitely seems interesting and impressions I´ve read have been mostly positive.

Top Bottom