• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Yes Boss!

With Ginga you definitely have to start on Easy. With Easy you earn money and can buy stronger and stronger gear to help you take on Normal. Easy is very manageable up until Stage 9 where it gets pretty challenging, but you get an extra life every time you retry a stage so you'll definitely eventually get through.

Ok, I'm going to start Ginga once I hit 100 million in Gunhound...that should get me all the unlocks and I can shelve and retire it.

Looking at the achievment list on Ginga, most of then seem doable. Usually I top out at 400-600 but I might go the distance on Ginga since SDOJ is a ways away.

My, my. Caladrius is looking pretty good, too! Looks pretty different.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Comes with Metal Black as well? Shit, I need to buy a copy.
My local GS didn't have any in stock but was able to order a copy from another store. If you care about boxes and manuals, spend the extra $10 and buy it online. For stuff like compilations, I'll take the disc for two bucks.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's a great game, though it would be even better if it didn't have so many slowdown.

The interesting thing about the PSX G Darius is that playing it on a PS2 feels like the slowdown is reduced significantly (still noticable on some of the larger bosses), and playing on a pc emulator gets rid of it almost entirely and plays very close to the arcade version.

The interesting thing about the PSX G Darius is that playing it on a PS2 feels like the slowdown is reduced significantly (still noticable on some of the larger bosses), and playing on a pc emulator gets rid of it almost entirely and plays very close to the arcade version.

Never noticed the difference between the PS1 and PS2 for G Darius. My PS1 is plugged in permanence on my CRT while my PS2 is plugged on my Sony PS display. I played the game on both systems less than 2 weeks ago and it seemed about the same on both consoles. Guess I'll have to give it a spin once more to check for this :)

If this is true, maybe it has something to do with the disk drive speed?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Never noticed the difference between the PS1 and PS2 for G Darius. My PS1 is plugged in permanence on my CRT while my PS2 is plugged on my Sony PS display. I played the game on both systems less than 2 weeks ago and it seemed about the same on both consoles. Guess I'll have to give it a spin once more to check for this :)

If this is true, maybe it has something to do with the disk drive speed?

Well to be honest I'm not 100% certain about how much difference there is with a PS2, it's just anecdotal from my experience with a scph-90001 JP machine. The slowdown definitely felt less severe to me on that. YMMV.

Definitely try it out on an emulator though. You might be surprised.

Yes Boss!

My local GS didn't have any in stock but was able to order a copy from another store. If you care about boxes and manuals, spend the extra $10 and buy it online. For stuff like compilations, I'll take the disc for two bucks.

I actually just ordered a new one from ebay for $20. Been meaning to get it for a good while...just for the G Darius. Remember racketboy saying it was the preferred version.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I actually just ordered a new one from ebay for $20. Been meaning to get it for a good while...just for the G Darius. Remember racketboy saying it was the preferred version.

Is the compilation release of G ver 1 or 2 of the arcade game? Ver 2 added in a lot of the little alterations from the PSX version like autofire and beginner mode.

edit: google sez: version 1

oneida

Is the compilation release of G ver 1 or 2 of the arcade game? Ver 2 added in a lot of the little alterations from the PSX version like autofire and beginner mode.

edit: google sez: version 1
Compilation has autofire.

oneida

Might as well post a full list of the shmups on the ps2 version of Taito Legends 2.

• Darius Gaiden
  • Gekirindan
  • Grid Seeker
  • Gun Frontier
  • Metal Black
  • Raystorm
  • G Darius

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Apparently, Barcade Brooklyn got in a Dragon Spirit cabinet the other day... holy shit the huuuuge hitbox caused me to do horrible. My friend who isn't big at all on shmups did much better than me. I guess I'm so conditioned by modern-day bullet-hell.

jbueno

Might as well post a full list of the shmups on the ps2 version of Taito Legends 2.

• Darius Gaiden
  • Gekirindan
  • Grid Seeker
  • Gun Frontier
  • Metal Black
  • Raystorm
  • G Darius

Are those by any chance 240p or fake highres 480i? Any input is appreciated.

gunstarhero

Apparently, Barcade Brooklyn got in a Dragon Spirit cabinet the other day... holy shit the huuuuge hitbox caused me to do horrible. My friend who isn't big at all on shmups did much better than me. I guess I'm so conditioned by modern-day bullet-hell.

Nice! - I'll have to check that out. Wish it was the BC in Jersey City though :-/

I don't think I've ever seen a Dragon Spirit cab in my life...was it a dedicated cab or something like a candy cab?

Ok, I'm going to start Ginga once I hit 100 million in Gunhound...that should get me all the unlocks and I can shelve and retire it.

Looking at the achievment list on Ginga, most of then seem doable. Usually I top out at 400-600 but I might go the distance on Ginga since SDOJ is a ways away.

My, my. Caladrius is looking pretty good, too! Looks pretty different.

Boss, do you have an unlock list for Gunhound somewhere that you're using? Would like to add it to the FAQ if so.

How far are you on the 1CC? I managed to get to the end of Stage 3 on one credit, but have been concentrating on Ginga since then. I'm genuinely curious whether Gunhound has a Hard mode or a true ending. Will try to do some digging on 2ch about that.

Yes Boss!

Boss, do you have an unlock list for Gunhound somewhere that you're using? Would like to add it to the FAQ if so.

How far are you on the 1CC? I managed to get to the end of Stage 3 on one credit, but have been concentrating on Ginga since then. I'm genuinely curious whether Gunhound has a Hard mode or a true ending. Will try to do some digging on 2ch about that.

I got the 1CC earlier today. You get a ton of points for not using continues. Looks like the no-continue bonus is your score+continue bonus+special bonus. Guess they just give you a flat 1 million as a continue bonus when you don't continue, lol.

Timing on each level really seems to do nothing except if you run out then you don't get any points for killing enemies. I plow through level in a few seconds. I've played them so many times. Bosses are the same, and I've gotten so good I just never get hit and kill them prior to them even finishing their movement.
I even kill the final boss before the elevator even makes it to space so I don't even see zero-g on him anymore
. You get an unlock every 10 million cumulative but I did not get anything at 90 million. I'm at about 95 million and there is only one more unlock so I'm hoping at 100 million. If not, then I'm gonna retire the game and go on to something else. Seriously one of my favorite games...I've plunked about thirty hours into it already. Here is my final score on the 1CC and the breakdown:

6062F93C-DD62-4140-887E-A0C1EBAE2893-1186-0000015E25A217FC_zps19c0be9c.jpg

I did not really pay attention to what unlocked at each additional 10 million. I tried out all the weapons but I play with some of the lower unlock stuff. I can give you a photograph of the japanese stuff if you want. There are also a ton of different suits and sub-suits. I just use the two Pinks.

Also, no Hard unlock yet :-(

Yes Boss!

OK,

So I did the 1CC again on Gunhound (and very slightly higher score!). Pushed me over 100 million total score and gave me the final unlock. Phew, I can finally go on to something else.

I forgot to mention that in the 25 or so hours I played it I did get about a dozen hardlocks in which I had to switch off the system and then back on. Game saves by stage so it was not really an issue but if you are going for 1CC then it kinda sucks. Happened mostly on the loading screen. I also found a game-breaking bug on the last level. I could kinda replicate it so I new what not to do in order to have it happen. It is at the end of the corridor sequence.

Also, I think they put something new at the Select screen. I don't recall prior but I don't remember the total score being on the Select screen...only the Title. And there is that Japanese text above the score which seems new and I don't know what it means.

D9C18151-18B7-4EF3-ADF2-FF4710980EEE-1186-0000015FB7A8A2BF_zpsc1927c36.jpg

jbueno

That´s odd about the lockups Boss, in the 10 hours or so I´ve put into the game I hadn´t had any issues whatsoever. PSN version by the way, I figure the game running from the MS is much more efficient than from the UMD drive.

EDIT. That Japanese text above the score is just the description for the highlited menu option, in the pic´s case Customize.

Yes Boss!

That´s odd about the lockups Boss, in the 10 hours or so I´ve put into the game I hadn´t had any issues whatsoever. PSN version by the way, I figure the game running from the MS is much more efficient than from the UMD drive.

I'm also pushing the game extremely hard. Like speed-running through levels doing all kinds of acrobatics and crazy shit. The actual bug on Mission 5 is a result of jumping and shooting after creaming a boss in a few seconds.

EDIT. That Japanese text above the score is just the description for the highlited menu option, in the pic´s case Customize.

Ok. But does your Select screen show your total score...I don't remember it being there, only on the title...could be wrong.

Yes Boss!

Yup, it´s there. But I´m not quite ready to show my score, ashamed of how low it is and how little progress I´ve made.

Cool. Just trying to find anything new. I'm probably gonna hang up the game and come back to it in a couple of years. I've pretty much done everything I've wanted to do in it. Besides, I've got Ginga and Fire Emblem to start.

Exceptional title.

My only gripes are a bit in the scoring. I'd really like the time to factor into scoring and I hate the way you can not chain enemies. I can beat the first level with boss in about thirty seconds killing everything and I'd love to have been able to link all those kills. It is so satisfying mowing through enemies and a score multiplier would have made it sublime.

Also, I never did remap the Purge. To get through the levels rapidly you very much need the lock that is on Left Trigger. That is one of the keys. Besides...you eventually get good enough to never have to even use Purge.

Tain

I'm sold on Caladrius pretty much on MOSS alone. I might hold out on Ginga Force, though. I'd probably enjoy it, but Eschatos sounds more like my kind of game. Still need that second Vita memory card for Gunhound.

Are those by any chance 240p or fake highres 480i? Any input is appreciated.

They're definitely 480i. The video options aren't the best.

Beckx

MOSS put up a trailer for Caladrius, probably the same one shown at JAEPO.

http://caladrius.mossjp.co.jp/special.html

A bunch of anime children yelling at each other, pretty much what I expected. Bullet sprays look nice and colorful, and player weapon systems look like they can get powered up pretty high. Also Basiscape music sounds like Basiscape. I'm liking what I'm seeing, my pre-order stands.

Looking great. I'm liking the horror theme & really looking forward to this.

oneida

Just ordered this for $40 shipped! I've got a PS2->Saturn converter from Tototek so I'm looking forward to hitting up Souky and Galactic Attack.

Hdij8bT.jpg

And, you know, VF4Evo.

BOTEC

Just ordered this for $40 shipped! I've got a PS2->Saturn converter from Tototek so I'm looking forward to hitting up Souky and Galactic Attack.

http://i.imgur.com/Hdij8bT.jpg[IMG]

And, you know, VF4Evo.[/QUOTE]

Heh, heh, heh, and so it begins.

Soon you'll be one of US:

[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483428[/url]

BOTEC

Oh I've got 5 or 6 arcade sticks - 2 TE's, 1 Wii TvC stick, a HRAP VX-SE, a Namco PSX stick... I have just always wanted a 3 buttoner for VF and shmups.

Good man. I dislike the idea of single use sticks with custom layouts, but I do like the way a Virtua Fighter panel looks. Simple and neat.

oneida

Good man. I dislike the idea of single use sticks with custom layouts, but I do like the way a Virtua Fighter panel looks. Simple and neat.

This thinking has kept me away from 3 buttoners for, well, 5 or 6 sticks. But I've been giving fewer shits about 6 button games - I'm planning on modding one of my TE's to 4 button which allows for VF/shmups/SNK/P4A[I play with SNK layout]/SCV/BB. Good to keep six buttoners around for VSav and the occasional Marvel.

Three buttons is all you ever really need (for the most part). Those other three to five buttons just get in the way.

Four buttons has been the standard for Cave games going back at least a decade now. A lot of people write off the rapid fire button as extraneous but it's really important the way Cave's scoring systems are designed!

(And this isn't even counting stuff like people wiring three or more extra rapid fire buttons for the original Mushihimesama that fire at different intervals because the scoring system for that game is just that ridiculous.)

oneida

Four buttons has been the standard for Cave games going back at least a decade now. A lot of people write off the rapid fire button as extraneous but it's really important the way Cave's scoring systems are designed!

(And this isn't even counting stuff like people wiring three or more extra rapid fire buttons for the original Mushihimesama that fire at different intervals because the scoring system for that game is just that ridiculous.)

I was thinking about this when I was considering a 3 button TE mod instead of eventually settling on a 4 button TE mod. Obviously this isn't much of a concern for PS2/Saturn shmupping.

BOTEC

While I certainly enjoy the benefits and ease provided by a dedicated auto-fire button, I feel that two buttons is the norm for a shooter, and everything else is over-complicating things.

Let Zed Blade show the way:

vaQGY81.png

Yes Boss!

Fuck yeah with Zed Blade. That game is cool!

Anyways. I guess I'm missing something because I usually only use two, or maybe three, buttons for most of the Cave games. And pretty much all other shooters are Shoot, Smart Bomb, and maybe a third button for weapon change or something. I'm also a pretty casual player and don't really go for score. One of the reasons I don't play Silvergun...too many buttons!

Tain

When I have to play three-button arcade games with a pad, I often find myself only holding half of the controller and using three individual fingertips like an arcade pad. It's weird, but I've done it more and more over the years.

oneida

When I have to play three-button arcade games with a pad, I often find myself only holding half of the controller and using three individual fingertips like an arcade pad. It's weird, but I've done it more and more over the years.

I do this too. It sucks! But I have a very hard time playing games like fighters with only my thumb. The main reason I play on stick is that I can access all the buttons I need with my fingers without having to move my hand.

Yes Boss!

Silvergun is only 3 buttons, and you should play it!

I don't think it is for me. Failed to play it on saturn and failed to play it on 360.

I also hold pads with one hand and tap the buttons with my fingertips...always done that. Just quicker reaction time.

jbueno

With A+B, A+C, and B+C for the rest of the weapons, it's a six-button shooter. o_O

Yeah it´s pretty confusing and overly complex for me, knowing which weapon to use and how to chain it just wasn´t fun to me. Was so excited to finally try it on 360, even bought it day one blindly without trying the demo, found it pretty average to be honest and never touched it again.

They're definitely 480i. The video options aren't the best.

Damn shame. Hope they at least support 480p, feeding that into an Emotia and forcing it to output 240p might offer decent results, if the games aren´t filtered of course.

jbueno

Hdij8bT.jpg

And, you know, VF4Evo.

That´s actually not a bad price, been looking for a PS1/PS2 stick as I´m not really good at soldering for adding a multisystem PCB to one of my sticks. A 3 button stick would be mostly ideal too, since mostly I want to try STGs.

EDIT. Though honestly, this layout would be much better for shooting games.

oneida

That´s actually not a bad price, been looking for a PS1/PS2 stick as I´m not really good at soldering for adding a multisystem PCB to one of my sticks. A 3 button stick would be mostly ideal too, since mostly I want to try STGs.

Most of the alternatives are pretty pricey for PS2. If all you need is three buttons, go for it! There's another VF4 stick with 5 face buttons... But the extra two are mapped to L3 and R3 so they're probably useless in 99% of games.

If you're not in a rush, I'll post my impressions when the stick arrives which won't be for at least a month probably. I have good experience with Seimitsu, Sanwa, and Hori's stock parts so I should be able to give a good idea of how well the controller performs.

Tain

Damn shame. Hope they at least support 480p, feeding that into an Emotia and forcing it to output 240p might offer decent results, if the games aren´t filtered of course.

I think they're filtered! Also, if I'm remembering right, there aren't even TATE options for the vertical games.

Top Bottom