• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
EDIT. Though honestly, this layout would be much better for shooting games.
xkuHnmg.jpg

This layout is only preferable if you like playing with your index-middle-ring fingers (and there are lots of people who prefer it). I prefer to use my thumb-index-middle.

BOTEC

This layout is only preferable if you like playing with your index-middle-ring fingers (and there are lots of people who prefer it). I prefer to use my thumb-index-middle.

I started out as a thumb-index-middle guy, but have recently switched to index-middle-ring. That's why I prefer a six button stick, it's easy to remap the buttons to suit any style.

Beckx

Well, now I don't feel so bad about my inability to get into Silvergun.

I am a man of simple tastes and simple shmup mechanics. Still struggling to puzzle out Espgaluda II.

oneida

I think RS is a blast, and this is coming from someone who thinks Ikaruga is over-designed and not very fun to play.

Yes Boss!

I think they're filtered! Also, if I'm remembering right, there aren't even TATE options for the vertical games.

Now you are making me regret my purchase! Still, I've only got G Darius on PSN and that is kinda crummy there, at least on the HDTV.

Thumb and Index for me...and I rotate the entire stick towards me a good 20%.

jbueno

For most 3 buttons shmups, I play with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers, but 4 button ones like Espgaluda I use my 1st finger for the 4th button. For SNK games I agree, the ascending 1-4th fingers stance works better.

If you're not in a rush, I'll post my impressions when the stick arrives which won't be for at least a month probably. I have good experience with Seimitsu, Sanwa, and Hori's stock parts so I should be able to give a good idea of how well the controller performs.

No, not really in a rush since gaming time for me will be drastically reduced the following days. It´d be nice to read impressions though, I could always go for a quick shmup session.

I think they're filtered! Also, if I'm remembering right, there aren't even TATE options for the vertical games.

Shiiiit, talk about a dodged bullet!

oneida

For most 3 buttons shmups, I play with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers, but 4 button ones like Espgaluda I use my 1st finger for the 4th button. For SNK games I agree, the ascending 1-4th fingers stance works better.

If you think it'll be a problem, you can always go with the always-popular 6 button Namco PSX stick. It's not a bad stick, but it's not very good either. The imitation parts it uses aren't atrocious, but mid 90's Sanwa imitation are worse than stock parts in budget sticks these days. You can probably find one for $50 if you look long enough. The Tekken 4 stick uses the same parts, I believe.

Shiiiit, talk about a dodged bullet!

They're gimped versions of the arcade boards in terms of presentation, but they're cheap as dirt and play well.

jbueno

If you think it'll be a problem, you can always go with the always-popular 6 button Namco PSX stick. It's not a bad stick, but it's not very good either. The imitation parts it uses aren't atrocious, but mid 90's Sanwa imitation are worse than stock parts in budget sticks these days. You can probably find one for $50 if you look long enough. The Tekken 4 stick uses the same parts, I believe.

They're gimped versions of the arcade boards in terms of presentation, but they're cheap as dirt and play well.

Well I´m not really against any button configuration in a stick, barring of course those atrocities in MAME Franken-cabs, so a cheap stick might accommodate my needs.

As for the Taito collection, for cheap enough I might consider it even with its shortcomings, like the subpar Backbone Capcom PS2/Xbox versions.

oneida

All this Taito Legends 2 hate is weird. Arcade versions of Gekirindan, Gun Frontier, Metal Black, Grid Seeker, Raystorm, G-Darius, Darius Gaiden. It doesn't have a tate mode, and that sucks, but 4 of them are horizontal shmups anyway.

And it's two fucking dollars at Gamestop.

jbueno

All this Taito Legends 2 hate is weird. Arcade versions of Gekirindan, Gun Frontier, Metal Black, Grid Seeker, Raystorm, G-Darius, Darius Gaiden. It doesn't have a tate mode, and that sucks, but 4 of them are horizontal shmups anyway.

It´s just that I have the original ports of half of those on PS1 anyways, but you´re right for sheer convenience and for just $2 it might be worth it, but it usually goes for >$20 around my area.

Tain

It has its place and everything, but fans being anal about port quality is to be expected among arcade game enthusiasts.

oneida

But when the next best version of the game is the $200 arcade board... I don't know. I get that it has problems, but it's still a hell of a way to spend an evening. IIRC the $50+ Saturn port of Gekirindan didn't rotate the controls when you entered tate.

Tain

Honestly, I'd buy the collection and then be fine with playing most of the games in MAME. Or a more modern version of MAME, I should say, given that the Taito collections are already MAME-based. Just way more options that way, from the HLSL filter to true low-res output to a massive range of supported controllers. More accurate slowdown, too, for those interested.

edit: G-Darius is probably the exception, though. I think that's still lacking music in mainline MAME.

Taito Legends 2 is amazing... until you get a rotated monitor/rotate a television for tate mode play, and realize that Taito Legends 2 doesn't have any such thing.

It is a great collection for all the games that aren't black-bars-only shmups, though.

reson8or

Quick question guys I can get Hyper Duel for $190 perfect condition, but no spine.

Should I take the plunge, or should I wait for better deal?

Artanisix

Question for the shmup regulars:

Are there any "beautiful" shmups like Ikaruga out there? Something that's more than just killing enemies and getting powerups. I loved the black/white swap of Ikaruga and actually going for the combos in addition to the bullet hell. Anything else similar to that?

oneida

Taito Legends 2 is amazing... until you get a rotated monitor/rotate a television for tate mode play, and realize that Taito Legends 2 doesn't have any such thing.

It is a great collection for all the games that aren't black-bars-only shmups, though.
I tate my 360 monitor and TL2 is still amazing.

Are there any "beautiful" shmups like Ikaruga out there? Something that's more than just killing enemies and getting powerups. I loved the black/white swap of Ikaruga and actually going for the combos in addition to the bullet hell. Anything else similar to that?
Just killing enemies and getting power ups is beautiful, though.

Quick question guys I can get Hyper Duel for $190 perfect condition, but no spine.

Should I take the plunge, or should I wait for better deal?
That's a toughie. I picked up my ever so slightly less than mint copy complete for a little less than $190 US less than a year ago.

If you're patient, you may find a complete copy for about that price. But it's a gamble.

reson8or

That's a toughie. I picked up my ever so slightly less than mint copy complete for a little less than $190 US less than a year ago.

If you're patient, you may find a complete copy for about that price. But it's a gamble.

Yea it's gnawing at me, might be best to wait if I'm this wishy washy. Thank you for the advice :)

UPDATE: Well, I finally climbed aboard the Hyper Duel train, caved and bought the spineless version after I got the seller to drop the price to 180.

Looking forward to playing the day lights out if it when it arrives :)

BOTEC

I feel that the aesthetics of Psyvariar 2 are quite exceptional. Zen shooting.

Tain

There are tons of shooting games with highly celebrated combo-based scoring systems and great aesthetics. So many that it's hard to just suggest one. Poke around the big arcade games in the genre. Rayforce, Ketsui, Battle Garegga, Gunbird 2... there are so many from so many different developers.

The most similar game to Ikaruga aesthetically is probably still Radiant Silvergun, which also has a scoring system based around color chaining. Not quite as elegant, though.

I'd also suggest, if you're new to the genre, to not worry about scoring so much and simply try to clear these games without continuing. If you can get into that (and that's pretty much the foundation of really enjoying games in the genre), scoring is a way to extend the life of a game. Assuming the scoring system is at all enjoyable, that is.

gunstarhero

Akai Katana Shin stands out to me. That game is all about chaining combos... Same goes for Dodonpachi Resurrection, though to a lesser extent imo.

Battle Garegga is another one - but for some reason it's a love it or hate it type of game.

gunstarhero

I'd also suggest, if you're new to the genre, to not worry about scoring so much and simply try to clear these games without continuing. If you can get into that (and that's pretty much the foundation of really enjoying games in the genre), scoring is a way to extend the life of a game. Assuming the scoring system is at all enjoyable, that is.

That's interesting to me - because I look at it as the opposite. I feel learning the scoring system is the heart of the game, and 1ccing it is a bonus. I rarely 1cc any of my shooters, and instead focus on scoring well and understanding the combo system.

Maybe I should stop sucking and actually 1cc something for a change :)

BOTEC

Jap-Sai just emailed me that the Muchi Muchi Pork rerelease is in! Wooo~

Wooo indeed. Mine just shipped out from Play-Asia. Silly shooting game incoming. I don't think I've even ever seen Muchi Muchi Pork in action, looking forward to it.

fatty

Guys, I'm in the process of updating the OP with new shooters that have come out this generation. If there are any titles that I missed, OT's or individual posts that should be linked, anything that you think should be added, please let me know.

I'll be currently working on Xbox 360
Xbox 360:

US releases:
Akai Katana
Capcom Digital Collection (contains 1942: Joint Strike)
Death Smiles
Dodonpachi Resurrection: Deluxe Edition (PAL but region free)
Espgaluda II: Black Label Platinum Collection (JPN but region free)
Otomedius Excellent
Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 Platinum Collection (JPN but region free)
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighters Aces
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (contains Space Harrier, Super Thunder Blade and Zaxxon)

XBLA:
1942 Joint Strike
Aegis Wing
Assault Heroes
Assault Heroes 2
Asteroids
Bangai-O HD
Battlestar Galactica
Centipede/Millipede
Commandos 3: WOTB
Crystal Quest
Galaga
Galaga Legions
Geometry Wars
Geometry Wars 2
Guwange
Gyruss
Hard Corps: Uprising
Ikaruga
Jetpac Refuelled
King of Fighters: Sky Stage (coming soon?)
Missile Command
Mutant Storm Empire
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Radiant Silvergun
Omega Five
Raystorm HD
Robotron 2084
R-Type Dimensions
Scramble
Smash TV
Space Giraffe
Time Pilot
Triggerheart Excelica
Undertow

I don't get to play these games as much as I would like, but really love the genre and want to say thanks to you guys who have been contributing and making me aware of games that I've wanted to purchase. Anything you would like to see changed/added, again please let me know!

BOTEC

I believe that Deathsmiles II X is available as Games On Demand in the US XBLM, it's just the Japanese game, but made available to foreigners (no translation). Similarly, the aforementioned Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets is a region-free release.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Trouble Witches Neo is missing from the XBLA list.

Edit: And Bullet Soul, Eschatos and Ginga Force are Japanese region free releases

A few off the top of my head:

US releases:
Under Defeat (Xbox360/PS3)
Eschatos (JPN but region free)
Ginga Force (JPN but region free)
Mamoru-kun wa Norowarette Shimatta (JPN but region free on PS3 only)
Deathsmiles II X (JPN but available via Games on Demand)
Strania (XBLA)
Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets (JPN but region free)

Debatable inclusions:
Wartech: Senko no Ronde
Sin & Punishment II (Wii)
Gunhound EX (PSP)

Personally I think shooters are more than verts and horis, if it has a score attack mode and scrolls it could be included IMO.

One thing that I was thinking would be cool is that after SDOJ launches, since it's probably going to be the last shooter of the gen, NeoGAF shooter threads should join up and do a top 10 shooters of the gen vote. That would be the gen that began with the Xbox360 but also includes all platforms since 2006 to 2013 when it essentially ends.

fatty would you be down to post the results in the op if we did something like that?

Beckx

Wooo indeed. Mine just shipped out from Play-Asia. Silly shooting game incoming. I don't think I've even ever seen Muchi Muchi Pork in action, looking forward to it.

Me too, though I combined it with Project Diva F to save shipping, so won't see it for a while.

Didn't MMP vault into the shmups forum all-time best list last year?

fatty

Thanks guys, I will eventually get to the other platforms as well and refer back to #1931. I still need to work on the bottom categories as well, so far I've got:
Xbox 360:

US releases:
Akai Katana
Bullet Soul (JPN but region free)
Capcom Digital Collection (contains 1942: Joint Strike)
Death Smiles
Deathsmiles II X (JPN but available via Games on Demand)
Dodonpachi Resurrection: Deluxe Edition (PAL but region free)
Eschatos (JPN but region free)
Espgaluda II: Black Label Platinum Collection (JPN but region free)
Ginga Force (JPN but region free)
Otomedius Excellent
Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets (JPN but region free)
Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 Platinum Collection (JPN but region free)
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighters Aces
Wartech: Senko no Ronde
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (contains Space Harrier, Super Thunder Blade and Zaxxon)

XBLA:
1942 Joint Strike
Aegis Wing
Assault Heroes
Assault Heroes 2
Asteroids
Bangai-O HD
Battlestar Galactica
Centipede/Millipede
Commandos 3: WOTB
Crystal Quest
Galaga
Galaga Legions
Geometry Wars
Geometry Wars 2
Guwange
Gyruss
Hard Corps: Uprising
Ikaruga
Jetpac Refuelled
King of Fighters: Sky Stage (coming soon?)
Missile Command
Mutant Storm Empire
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Radiant Silvergun
Omega Five
Raystorm HD
Robotron 2084
R-Type Dimensions
Scramble
Smash TV
Space Giraffe
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
Strania
Time Pilot
Triggerheart Excelica
Undertow

Xbox Live Indie games worthing noting:
Decimation X
Leave Home
Prismatic Solid
Shoot1Up
Retrofit Overload
Vampire Rage

Japan releases:
Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra
Ketsui (coming soon)
Mamoru-kun wa Norowareteshimatta
Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (Region Free)
Espgaluda 2
Otomedius G
Senko No Ronde 2 DUO
Shikigami no Shiro 3
Shooting Love 200X

One thing that I was thinking would be cool is that after SDOJ launches, since it's probably going to be the last shooter of the gen, NeoGAF shooter threads should join up and do a top 10 shooters of the gen vote. That would be the gen that began with the Xbox360 but also includes all platforms since 2006 to 2013 it essentially ends.

fatty would you be down to post the results in the op if we did something like that?

Of course! Sounds like a great idea.

BOTEC

0 Day Attack On Earth is a game by Gulti published by Square Enix available on XBLA. I liked what I played of it, others not so much.

DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu (Resurrection) Black Label AKA KetsuiPachi is a JPN region locked release.

Mushihimesama (1) is JPN locked, I believe.

BOTEC

Here's another JPN only release: Milestone's Radirgy Noa Massive. The game was super bland and boring on DC, and I suspect it hasn't changed much during the transition to 360. Bleh.

There are quite a few more Japanese-only, region-locked X360 shmups. That's nowhere near all of them I think...

Also, in WiiWare, there's also Kyotokei, which is not listed in the OP post listing of WiiWare titles.

Also though, this is an obvious little error in one of the OP posts...

Nintendo 64

US releases:
Namco Museum 64 - Galaga, Galaxian
Robotron 64
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth

Japan releases:
Asteroids Hyper 64
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
Dezaemon 3D (shmup creator with a few built-in games)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1 (contains Robotron, Sinistar, Defender)
Space Invaders
Uh, Space Invaders, Asteroids Hyper 64, and Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol.1 were US-developed games that of course released here... how did you mess that up? :)

Yes Boss!

Also, in WiiWare, there's also Kyotokei, which is not listed in the OP post listing of WiiWare titles.

Whoa, I've completely missed that one! Must have been deployed when it come out. Is it worth it?

Also, OP, I don't know if your want to open the XBLIG can of worms but there are at least a few high-quality titles on that service.

Whoa, I've completely missed that one! Must have been deployed when it come out. Is it worth it?
Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not, but it IS only $5, so either way, it is at least cheap. I got it, and don't regret it, but come in with low expectations, for sure. Basically, the game is a European side-scrolling shmup with some Ikaruga influences. The game has two switchable colors (red and blue, here), chains if you shoot 4 enemies of the same type, and such. The game has only five levels, but they're reasonably long, so it won't be easy to finish (the game does have quite limited continues; you earn more through play, but that's a slow process). I haven't beaten it yet, myself.

You can tell that it's a low budget game, though. The graphics are basic 2d stuff, nothing fancy at all, and there are some issues, like how in single player (the game is a two player simultaneous title, nicely enough) if you want to keep the chain going for score, you will have to not shoot at some enemies; you can't kill everything with one person unless you break chains. Overall it's a somewhat mediocre game, but for $5, which is all it costs, sure, pick it up if you like the genre.

Oh yeah, the male character is player 1, and the female one is player 2; there's no selection, each one is just tied to each controller.

In addition to WiiWare it appears that a few months later they released an iOS version, but I'm sure the controls there are quite miserable compared to the Wii version's standard, and good, "sideways Wiimote" controls...

fatty when you get a chance can you add the following to the op?

Xbox Live Indie games worthing noting:
Revolver 360

Without a doubt the best XBLIG shmup.

Also, another shmup thread:

Grev thread

======================

So yeah I'm still playing Ginga Force. It's a great game but the grind to finish Story Mode on Hard can be pretty brutal. Be prepared to replay every stage from 10 to 20 times in order to get enough lives to last through the stage and the boss. If you have anything less than 10 lives for most of these stages you don't stand a chance.

Even the stages that are relatively easier like Stage 6, have absolutely brutal bosses. In fact Stage 6's boss on Hard in Story Mode is one of the most violent, annihilative bosses I've ever seen in a shooter. It throws absolutely everything at you. It's merciless.

I've cleared through Stage 6 on Hard, just have 7-10 to go. Hoping I can do that tonight.

After Stage 6 you get a useful special weapon
SP consumption -30%
that will probably help me get through the worst this mode has to offer.

Going to try to clear it tonight if I have enough time.

I mentioned this earlier but there is a distinct difficulty difference between Story Mode and Arcade Mode. Where Story Mode Hard can sometimes be a grueling, sometimes hopeless grind, Arcade Mode enemies and bosses have much lower durability so your weapons cut right through them. The only thing you have to watch out for is the brutal bullet patterns.

If you put in the time I think this is a relatively easy 1000 achievement points. I'd compare it to Deathsmiles IIX in terms of completion difficulty.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Where could I order Dodonpachi saidaioujou to be sent to the US?

My usual PlayAsia is failing me.
I suspect P-A will get a listing up eventually—the thing is that Cave hasn't finished making decisions about the price and content of the Limited Edition and Super-Limited Edition, and (rumor has it) they're still trying to make a simultaneous international release happen. Amiami doesn't have listings up for anything either yet. edit: Neither does Amazon JP, which is probably the biggest tell that the delay is on Cave's end rather than retailers'.

NCSX is taking orders for the standard edition, but I'd just give it a little longer if I was you.

8390 yen for MMP/PS & Shienryu (saturn) shipped! Not bad?

I would hope Shienryu would be the majority of that cost. MMP+PS just received a budget-priced reprinting so isn't worth that much unless you managed a copy that still has the first-press DLC code intact and unredeemed.

Top Bottom