• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Can we talk about Ikaruga?

Do you like Ikaruga? If so, why? Please don't tell me that it's "just beautiful" or something. That doesn't mean anything to me.

I have had Ikaruga for years - since it was released on the Gamecube. There was a good, long time when I really wanted to like it.

I gave up on wanting to like it. I don't think it is fun at all. It's creative, it's smart - but it's a chore.

BOTEC

Do you like Ikaruga? If so, why? Please don't tell me that it's "just beautiful" or something. That doesn't mean anything to me.

I have had Ikaruga for years - since it was released on the Gamecube. There was a good, long time when I really wanted to like it.

I gave up on wanting to like it. I don't think it is fun at all. It's creative, it's smart - but it's a chore.

I think the aesthetics of Ikaruga go a long way to make it one of the most important games in the genre.

As for the gameplay, I do find it too complicated for my feeble mind to play "properly," but stuff blows up real good in it, so I like it.

Reasons why I like Ikaruga:

+ The music is swelling, full, orchestral, and sets a grand vision for the game.
+ The polarity switching mechanic is unique and a good change of pace from other shmups.
+ The three-color chaining mechanic makes you think about your strategy for a level.
+ The lack of a bomb forces you to be precise and punishes mistakes.
+ The visuals are coherent and technically impressive, especially for Dreamcast.
+ It's one of the few shmups that will make non-shmuppers stop and say, "wow, neat".
+ It's so simple with no powerups and only one weapon, yet challenging and fair.
+ Even if you don't want to play for score, surviving on 1CC to the end is engaging.
+ Constant risk/reward of firing against polarity for high damage or with polarity for safety.
+ The level design tests your maneuverability in creative ways instead of just shooting.
+ Enemy positioning and behavior are ingenious and fully explore the black/white polarity.
+ Many 'special' enemies that you only see once or twice in the game, for variety.

I believe Ikaruga upsets people because at its heart it isn't really a shmup. It's a puzzle game with shooting elements and the spirit of a platformer.

I like Silvergun. Unlike Ikaruga, I feel like I am mostly in control in Silvergun. When I play Ikaruga, I feel like the game designers are forcing me to play the game in certain ways.

The opposite is true though. If you don't play Silvergun for score, your weapons won't be powerful enough to kill later bosses within the time limit. On the other hand, Ikaruga by nature gives you everything you need from the start, so playing for score isn't integral to proceeding.

Beckx

Reasons why I like Ikaruga:

+ The music is swelling, full, orchestral, and sets a grand vision for the game.
+ The polarity switching mechanic is unique and a good change of pace from other shmups.
+ The three-color chaining mechanic makes you think about your strategy for a level.
+ The lack of a bomb forces you to be precise and punishes mistakes.
+ The visuals are coherent and technically impressive, especially for Dreamcast.
+ It's one of the few shmups that will make non-shmuppers stop and say, "wow, neat".
+ It's so simple with no powerups and only one weapon, yet challenging and fair.
+ Even if you don't want to play for score, surviving on 1CC to the end is engaging.
+ Constant risk/reward of firing against polarity for high damage or with polarity for safety.
+ The level design tests your maneuverability in creative ways instead of just shooting.
+ Enemy positioning and behavior are ingenious and fully explore the black/white polarity.
+ Many 'special' enemies that you only see once or twice in the game, for variety.

+1. Great points.

<3 Ikaruga.

gunstarhero

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on the game.

I can see why someone might love it - but it's not my idea of a good shooter.

Yes Boss!

Finally spent some quality time with Ginga Force tonight.

Man...THIS game.

Shopping and playing around with different weapon combos is probably one of the best things anyone has done with the genre. I found myself appreciating the stages more because I would replay them for more cash and put together the perfect weapons/item package to S rank the level.

I think I replayed level 6 (where do fight while flying around a giant ship) at least 10 times until I earned enough money for the level 3 front shield and some better missiles. Then absolutely destroyed that pain in the ass boss.

It didn't strike me at first, but I can easily see Ginga Force in my top 3 shooter on the 360. Such a great game.

Ok, this is the weekend I finally sink my teeth into this game! All impressions seem to be so amazing. I've printed out the translations from shmups and will go to town. Gotta hit it this month before the other three big 360 shooters titles drop.

So many great games this year so far I don't have time for all of them. In the last week I've been logging more hours on Ketsui...really the only Cave game I've been playing this year so far.

Also: don't like Ikaruga. Though, I'm thinking of getting the DC port sometime this year, or early next.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

i think xoxak said it best :)

shaowebb

I loved it for what it was. Ikaruga was freakin' harsh, stylish, and the soundtrack was great. However, I just don't enjoy polarity switching as much as I thought. Even Vampire REX in the eXceed trilogy sits unbeaten for me. Its fun, but it isn't as fun for me as just normal shmupping I guess.

I really dig bullet cancel systems and gold in bullethells for the most part. Anything that lets me grow a point token via combo or multiplier or juggle or what all that is done in a visual manner of money excites me.

Teknoman

I loved it for what it was. Ikaruga was freakin' harsh, stylish, and the soundtrack was great. However, I just don't enjoy polarity switching as much as I thought. Even Vampire REX in the eXceed trilogy sits unbeaten for me. Its fun, but it isn't as fun for me as just normal shmupping I guess.

I really dig bullet cancel systems and gold in bullethells for the most part. Anything that lets me grow a point token via combo or multiplier or juggle or what all that is done in a visual manner of money excites me.

lol i'm like this in Akai.

Godspeed, gunstarhero and Boss, Ginga Force is a lot of fun.

I just managed to comp it after a couple of weeks of having it. There is a serious ton of grinding in this game. The first heavy grind is to unlock the Hard difficulty stages, and the second (if you have as little of a life as me) is to get all the weapons and hit 500 million points in Story Mode. You earn at max 5 million points per stage, so you can do the math there... : /

If you guys want an achievement guide, there's a good English one here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=423435

Still loved the game despite the bruise that the grinding gives it. Score Attack especially is a lot of fun.

shaowebb

lol i'm like this in Akai.

Were you playing Origin or Slash? They're two entirely different systems, but yeah I can see how that could happen to someone. Its not like polarity switching, but its got a mode flip rhythm that might put some people off.

Origin is way rougher than Slash BTW. Those Katanas are Godlike in Slash mode.

Probably not really a shoot me up, but I just played shock trooper for the first time and it WAS AWESOME. Wow what a great game. Branching level paths, multiple characters, team mode, and it looks and plays great.

Shock Troopers is probably the best top-down run n' gun ever made.

If you have a PS3, buy it on PSN as part of the now dead Neo Geo Station. The netcode is great. The emulation is great.

shaowebb

Okay I pulled the trigger. I've filled all the gaps in between work and animation with this Crimzon Clover demo. Bought a copy. Cannot wait.

Teknoman

Were you playing Origin or Slash? They're two entirely different systems, but yeah I can see how that could happen to someone. Its not like polarity switching, but its got a mode flip rhythm that might put some people off.

Origin is way rougher than Slash BTW. Those Katanas are Godlike in Slash mode.

Slash mode. Ripping through everything with those katana blasts. Havent really put too much time into Origin yet since i'm still trying to get used to the game as a whole (boss patterns etc.).

By the way, can that cheats Dreamcast disc be used as a VGA boot disc too?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Re:Ikaruga You know what I'd go crazy for? An HD port of Gradius V. Too bad Konami stopped caring for DD titles (Castelvania, Contra and Gradius Rebirth) a long time ago.. I'd happily pay full price for a retail release a la Under Defeat HD. My PS2 is basically dead, reads a game once every 20 tries, and I love the game... It was strikingly beautiful when it came out.

Teknoman

Still waiting on that Gradius VI PS3 release that was listed early on :p

Too bad Contra just faded away...(Hard Corps Uprising was fun, but I mean that new title that was teased).

shaowebb

I got a copy of Gradius V but I dont play it. I liked R type final more and Gradius is sort of a series that destroys me. I'd trade it for a copy of a Cave game I dont own that runs on a US xbox 360 like Muchi Muchi pork/pink sweets or Espgaluda 2 to anyone willing honestly. Im more of a vert bullet hell guy. Hell make me an offer if there is anyone here who doesn't own it already. Sadly though I dont think it came with a booklet. Cover looks to be a reprint. It was a gamestop last in inventory thing as they cleared out stock.

Credo

Does anyone know where I can find a list of shmup collections on JP PS2? When I searched for it, the last 5 results I clicked on wouldn't even load.

Also, I've kind of avoided most recent shmups because I'm terrible at bullet hell shooters. With that said, are there any shmups from the past 5 years that I could actually play and enjoy?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44980

Kamui, Clover-TAC and NAK are travelling to France in April to demo Battle Garegga, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou and Mushihimesama Futari at Stunfest.

I believe this is the first Japanese shmup demonstration by world record holders outside of Japan, or at least in the "Western" world. I'm very happy about it, as I consider this not only a beautiful gift to the western shmup community, but also a great opportunity to communicate our common passion for shmups to people who don't know much about them. There will be plenty at Stunfest, and they will see top level play with quality commentary on the main stage.

Received my copy of Zero Gunner 2 over the weekend and I've decided that Psikyo is just kind of boring no matter what they do. Their games I've played/own:

Gunbird
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Gunbird 2
Cannon Spike
Zero Gunner 2
Sengoku Blade

My favorite Psikyo joint is Sengoku Blade. Immediately killing shit with Hagane's powerful charged shot feels good man. I love the setting too, and honestly, I enjoy playing every character in that game.

BOTEC

Received my copy of Zero Gunner 2 over the weekend and I've decided that Psikyo is just kind of boring no matter what they do. Their games I've played/own:

Gunbird
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Gunbird 2
Cannon Spike
Zero Gunner 2
Sengoku Blade

Wut? Strikers games are boring? I can understand if Gunbird or Zero Gunner aren't your thing, but Strikers are pretty fast paced, hardcore shooters. Sure, you can call them "traditional" in a derogatory tone, but I can't fathom calling them boring.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Gunbird
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Gunbird 2
Cannon Spike
Zero Gunner 2
Sengoku Blade

Haven't played most of 'em but I've played a lot of Strikers 2 at my local arcade and I think it's really great. Straightforward, sure. By-the-numbers, probably. But boring? Not to me!

SOME-MIST

moss facebook per a shmup forums member's question and response:

MinuteFong - shmups.system11.org said:
One of the Facebook shmups group members just got a response from Moss:
&#12372;&#36074;&#21839;&#12289;&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;&#12372;&#12374;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377;&#65281;&#12288;
&#30003;&#12375;&#35379;&#12354;&#12426;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12289;&#20170;&#22238;&#30330;&#22770;&#12377;&#12427;&#35069;&#21697;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#21521;&#12369;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;&#12289;&#12450;&#12513;&#12522;&#12459;&#12420;&#12520;&#12540;&#12525;&#12483;&#12497;&#12398;Xbox360&#12391;&#12399;&#21205;&#20316;&#12356;&#12383;&#12375;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12290;&#29694;&#22312;&#20104;&#23450;&#12399;&#12354;&#12426;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12364;&#12289;&#21271;&#31859;&#29256;&#12434;&#23637;&#38283;&#12377;&#12427;&#38555;&#12395;&#12399;&#12371;&#12385;&#12425;&#12398;&#12506;&#12540;&#12472;&#12395;&#12390;&#21578;&#30693;&#12373;&#12379;&#12390;&#38914;&#12365;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;&#12288;
&#20170;&#24460;&#12392;&#12418;&#12289;&#12424;&#12429;&#12375;&#12367;&#12362;&#39000;&#12356;&#12356;&#12383;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;
Translated by google:
Questions, thank you! Sorry, this product to be released for the Japanese market, so we will not work with Xbox360 in the U.S. and Europe. There are no plans right now, and we will announce on this page in when you deploy the North American version. The future, thank you.

I might snag it as it looks interesting, but I really haven't played any moss shmups before.

gunstarhero

Ah, thanks for the post. :(

Yeah - REALLY bummed about that, but I wouldn't count out a US release just yet. Since we are near the "end" of the X360 lifecycle, we may get some unexpected games to fill in the new releases gap that is inevitable.

Make it happen Rising Star!

In other news:

Ketsui is coming to PS3 in Japan.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/18/cave-shooter-ketsui-is-shooting-its-way-to-playstation-3/

tumblrm1tmijfb9j1r60wo8.gif

Slermy

Yeah - REALLY bummed about that, but I wouldn't count out a US release just yet. Since we are near the "end" of the X360 lifecycle, we may get some unexpected games to fill in the new releases gap that is inevitable.

In other news:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/18/cave-shooter-ketsui-is-shooting-its-way-to-playstation-3/

Hey now. Ketsui news MORE than makes up for the region locking of Caladrius.

Credo

I'm gonna repost something I mentioned earlier in hopes of a response because I'd really like to try something current.

I've kind of avoided most recent shmups because I'm terrible at bullet hell shooters. I just don't have the skill required to move through a screen covered with bullets. With that said, other than Jamestown and Sine Mora, are there any shmups from the past 5 years (compilations included) that I could actually play and enjoy?

SOME-MIST

Hey now. Ketsui news MORE than makes up for the region locking of Caladrius.
you're telling me. I already own the game (my personal favorite) and I'm insane excited to rebuy it and play it on PS3. I can't imagine how everyone else who hasn't been able to experience it feels.

Beckx

I'm gonna repost something I mentioned earlier in hopes of a response because I'd really like to try something current.

I've kind of avoided most recent shmups because I'm terrible at bullet hell shooters. I just don't have the skill required to move through a screen covered with bullets. With that said, other than Jamestown and Sine Mora, are there any shmups from the past 5 years (compilations included) that I could actually play and enjoy?

Under Defeat, maybe?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.

What about Raiden IV or the Raiden Fighters Aces compilation?

You may also want to consider Eschatos and Ginga Force&#8212;though they do throw a lot of bullets at you, you have a regenerating shield that's designed for strategic use. (Eschatos, at least; haven't played Ginga Force myself but I imagine it's pretty similar.)

Well it's not really current but Raiden Fighters Aces (360) would fit.

edit: dammit

Jockel

In other news:

HELL YEAH!
Best Cave shooter in my book. I love that game to death and beyond.
Gonna triple-dip on that one (unfortunately I never owned the PCB, I just played it a lot)

Top Bottom