• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Ok, question for you guys. I'm working on creating a shmup but we are having a hard time deciding on a theme.

How do you guys feel about non traditional (space ships and aliens) themes?

We were thinking of going one of two ways. Either an abstract theme where all the objects in the game aren't really anything in particular, blobs basic shapes etc. or a school based theme where each level is based on a certain class the player in enrolled in. Math, Bio, etc. They would fight against objects that in some way resemble items related to the subject.
I'm personally more of a traditionalist when it comes to shmup themes - hell, even many of the CAVE games (which i like a lot!) don't appeal to me thematically as more generic stuff like the Soldier series. The geometry wars stuff especially is very uninteresting to me.

The school stuff is cute and may work from an artistic perspective but you'll have to instill some sense of danger, some reason why anyone should care that they just got a game over. Otherwise you've got a shmup which is "different" in a bad way: the player doesn't take the setting seriously and is therefore emotionally removed from the game. Most shmups let you know that the fate of your race is on your shoulders; if i lose I'm your game, am i doomed to pay attention in class?

If you've got some totally sweet mechanic or hi-larious spritework that makes up for that and keeping the player engaged isn't a problem, then great. But to me, the setting is important and the school one is a tough sale.

My $0.02

Teknoman

School based shoot em up sounds like it would put me in the mind of Parodius.

So go with School based. Biology/Science would end up looking like R-type or Abadox i'm sure.

Honestly you could just go from 1st to 8th period (8 stages) and be fine. Personally I dont think it needs to have a gimmick, just really good shooting mechanics, soundtrack, and boss design. OK maybe some kinda honor roll gimmick or performance where if you get an F, you have to repeat that stage?

Ok, question for you guys. I'm working on creating a shmup but we are having a hard time deciding on a theme.

How do you guys feel about non traditional (space ships and aliens) themes?

We were thinking of going one of two ways. Either an abstract theme where all the objects in the game aren't really anything in particular, blobs basic shapes etc. or a school based theme where each level is based on a certain class the player in enrolled in. Math, Bio, etc. They would fight against objects that in some way resemble items related to the subject.

The school theme sounds pretty intriguing.

Not sure if you've ever seen it, but the Shmups Forum has a ton of good tips on shmup development here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39679

My personal take: stay away from random elements and make scoring fun, and you've got a winner. Otherwise, you got Sine Mora.

BOTEC

Caladrius sound samples went up today:

http://caladrius.mossjp.co.jp/special_bgm.html

Sound quite predictable, and "samey." Which I guess is a stretch for Basiscape? I don't even know what to expect from them anymore. I won't lie though, Stage 2 sounds pretty rockin'.

@hoverX: Definitely go with the latter concept. The more off-beat the better. The only theme that's more played out than sci-fi VS aliens in a shooter is abstract geometric shapes.

gunstarhero

It has arrived. PEW! PEW!

photoykm.jpg

Yes Boss!

That reminds me - I haven't played R Type before. Where should I start?

Go for the 360 port since it is the most accessible...has the first two games. Personally, I prefer the TG-16 port. If those systems are not available then go for Delta on PS1/PSN/PSP.

Yes Boss!

I can get the 360 ver or the T-16 ver (through VC).

Well, since 360 then go for that (at least check the demo out...has both original graphics and a 3D updated switchable on the fly). Only for the fact that there are many better sticks for 360. Game is a total joy to play on the system.

oneida

Well, since 360 then go for that. Only for the fact that there are many better sticks for 360. Game is a total joy to play on the system.

I have sticks for the 360 and the Wii haha. Are the games themselves exactly the same?

You should also check out super Rtype and R-Type 3 on SFC.

I LOVE R-Type 3

I'll get them if they're on Wii VC but probably am not going to dig up my SNES for them.

Vhalyar

Speaking of R-Type, I really can't get into bullet hell type shmups. R-Type, Gradius, Raiden, Pulstar, etc. are where it's at for me.

I don't suppose anyone could recommend other games in that vein?

oneida

Speaking of R-Type, I really can't get into bullet hell type shmups. R-Type, Gradius, Raiden, Pulstar, etc. are where it's at for me.

The Soldier series is dope. Aleste is a no-brainer... really, almost any 16 bit shmup fits the bill.

I like bullet hell, but I like not-bullet hell more.

Yes Boss!

I have sticks for the 360 and the Wii haha. Are the games themselves exactly the same?

R-Type Dimensions on 360 has games 1 and 2...believe they are slightly opened up for the 1.77 aspect ratio on the sides from what I remember.

TG-16 is just a flat-out classic port of the first game.

Oh yeah: I believe all the Irem stuff was pulled from VC/PSN. That even means Third Lightning is gone.

Vhalyar

The Soldier series is dope. Aleste is a no-brainer... really, almost any 16 bit shmup fits the bill.

I like bullet hell, but I like not-bullet hell more.

Yeah, lots of good things from the 16 bit generation, but I think I played most of what's available. I was sort of hoping that in the deluge of bullet hells, there would be more recent examples of that type of shmups.

My brain just starts melting when there's too many bullets on the screen.

e: Will have a look at Hyper Duel too, looks neat.

Fularu

Banned

I'll get them if they're on Wii VC but probably am not going to dig up my SNES for them.
They were delisted from the Wii VC, same with R-Type for TG-16

gunstarhero

Check out Aldynes on PSN (Japan) - I believe in the PC Engine section. (Edit: SuperGrafx)

Amazing shooter - slow paced like Rtype and Gradius, great graphics and super fun to play.

...nobody ever talks about Aldynes. (sigh)

Oh shit, how could I forget? If you're looking for R-Type action, find a way to play Last Resort on the Neo Geo. Well, find a way to play it that isn't on the SNK Classics Collection for PS2.

Gonna try this (unpopular opinion), but have you tried games by Treasure?

I know, they are bullet-hell on paper, but the amount of planning and trial-and-error in those games (RSG and Ikaruga) makes them almost have the need to approach the games as in R-type, albeit a much faster pace... and its vertical orientation.

But since you mentioned Raiden, I'd also recommend Psikyo shmups. notably, Zero Gunner 2. Also Grev's Under Defeat has that old-school shmup feel done right.

Air Gallet and Shienryu are some of the most blatant Raiden clones out there. It's a good thing.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Can I buy region free Games on Demand from the HK store (EU XBox in EU here)? Some games (especially Bullet Soul!) seem to be a lot cheaper there.

Beckx

If they are region free yes you wont have a problem , just make sure they really are region free.

I think you just answered a question for me. I've been thinking about buying a NA GOD game for my JP Xbox. The disc release is region locked. I assume the NA GOD will be similarly locked?

BOTEC

Can I buy region free Games on Demand from the HK store (EU XBox in EU here)? Some games (especially Bullet Soul!) seem to be a lot cheaper there.

You can try. Some games are IP-locked, so if you're not in HK/Asia, you can't download. Don't worry, they won't take your money either. Click the button and find out. I was able to purchase Senko no Ronde DUO, but couldn't get Shooting Love 200X. I think I made out ahead in that deal.

They're similar but I really enjoy Salamander's traditional power up system to Gradius' and Life Force's. The vertical stages are a nice change of pace too. Salamander and Life Force also deal with more organic-type levels and enemies than Gradius.

They're similar but I really enjoy Salamander's traditional power up system to Gradius' and Life Force's. The vertical stages are a nice change of pace too. Salamander and Life Force also deal with more organic-type levels and enemies than Gradius.

I think the Salamander games have a different "feel" to them as well. If you play them side-by-side, the differences are pretty noticeable.

In the long run though, Salamander/Lifeforce feels like a series that never reached its full potential.

oneida

I think the Salamander games have a different "feel" to them as well. If you play them side-by-side, the differences are pretty noticeable.

In the long run though, Salamander/Lifeforce feels like a series that never reached its full potential.

Hmm.

The question I'm struggling with is whether to pick up the Salamander Deluxe Pack (Sat) or the Gradius III & IV (PS2) compilation. Can't really afford both (especially since I plan on also picking up R-Type Dimensions when I get paid).

I like the Gradius power up system, and Salamander 2 looks so, so cool to me.

Yes Boss!

If you've got a PSP both the Gradius (cheap as chips) and Salamander (moderately priced) collections are incredible values, fantastic ports.

oneida

If you've got a PSP both the Gradius (cheap as chips) and Salamander (moderately priced) collections are incredible values, fantastic ports.

I dooooo have a PSP but given the option between playing shmups on a TV or a handheld I will always chose the TV. My PS2/Saturn in particular are set up to a glorious Sony Trinitron and even with poopy composite cables just get me so riled.

I'm leaning towards Gradius III & IV for money reasons, and because Gradius IV seems like this lost treasure that barely got a home conversion and shortly after was overshadowed by V.

But man... Salamander 2...

Yes Boss!

All the R-Type talk has inspired me to hook up my NA 360 to get some Dimensions action going. I'm playing 4:3 and piped it through VGA and a new little mini SLG I bought off a dude on shmups. Excellent...going to be my lunchtime gaming all this week.

0AC80796-D160-41FA-9E17-6379643103BC-14939-000012DD797020AF.jpg

Nags

Banned
All the R-Type talk has inspired me to hook up my NA 360 to get some Dimensions action going. I'm playing 4:3 and piped it through VGA and a new little mini SLG I bought off a dude on shmups. Excellent...going to be my lunchtime gaming all this week.

0AC80796-D160-41FA-9E17-6379643103BC-14939-000012DD797020AF.jpg

Rocking that psp go connected with component and using a PS3 controller?!
All about it!

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

Go is there for Ys playback on the HDTV to try it out through the upscaler...though I could not find my actual cord to re-sync the dualshock 3. I think I left it in california.

Hmm, just though of something...the new Hori WRAP is blutooth (I think). Would be kinda cool to hook that up to the little Go screen!

Haha. Well, the collection is pretty solid. I have played the PSX version of it a few times. I read somewhere that the resolution is slightly different between the PSX and Saturn versions, but the gameplay is the same.

Top Bottom