• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

I just bought Castle of Shikigami III for the Wii. The guy was getting rid of old stock so it was going for a song (about US$8 or so after conversion).

Is this game any fun? I've never played this series before and I can't play it at the moment because my brother borrowed all my wiimotes and classic controllers to play on his wii u. I'm also more of a Cave bullet hell fan if that helps.

I vaguely remember Shikigami III. If I'm not mistaken it borrowed lots of gimmicks from other shooting games. Buzzing and proximity kill bonuses were in there universally, and each character had a unique hook. I remember one character having a bullet reflect mechanic like Takumi games.

No worries, you could do much worse for $8.

BOTEC

I just bought Castle of Shikigami III for the Wii. The guy was getting rid of old stock so it was going for a song (about US$8 or so after conversion).

Is this game any fun? I've never played this series before and I can't play it at the moment because my brother borrowed all my wiimotes and classic controllers to play on his wii u. I'm also more of a Cave bullet hell fan if that helps.

Shikigami (any one of 'em) is super fun. They're not as manic as Cave games, but they can hold their own. The varied characters and their weapons are the main defining characteristic. Every character has unique weapon load-outs, and accommodate a different play style. Personally I prefer III to the other games, but they're all great.

BOTEC

Oh man, don't get me started. The incident that pissed me off, and forever tainted Triangle Service in my view, was Fujino's whiny plea for gamers to pre-order the DC port of Trizeal.

http://124.146.199.138/html/trizeal/sos/en.html

As a shooting game fan, and a Dreamcast owner, I and others did. No questions asked. However, his plea for more pre-orders and claims that the numbers weren't high enough felt like a slap in the face. Many complained that the game was boring, and ugly, but us die-hards wanted to support a niche game in a niche genre, but he claimed it wasn't enough. It left a very bitter taste in my mouth. So, ever since, fuck Triangle Service.

I haven't played III but II on the Gamecube was amazing.

I vaguely remember Shikigami III. If I'm not mistaken it borrowed lots of gimmicks from other shooting games. Buzzing and proximity kill bonuses were in there universally, and each character had a unique hook. I remember one character having a bullet reflect mechanic like Takumi games.

No worries, you could do much worse for $8.

Shikigami (any one of 'em) is super fun. They're not as manic as Cave games, but they can hold their own. The varied characters and their weapons are the main defining characteristic. Every character has unique weapon load-outs, and accommodate a different play style. Personally I prefer III to the other games, but they're all great.

Cool! Thanks for the replies! Maybe I should get round to finishing my PS2 Mayflash arcade stick mod so I can start playing this.

(I already took out the stick, but I'm too lazy to start messing with the soldering stuff. Have some spare Hori buttons and a Sanwa stick from a HRAP3 I can use for it.)

BOTEC

Has anyone mentioned the upcoming Shooting Love 10th Anniversary release from Triangle Service? Contains ports of G-Stream 2020 (as "DELTAZEAL") and XII Stag (as "XIIZEAL"), maybe some skills test stuff too, not quite sure. X360, region-free, out at the end of May.

Don't sweat it, just curious.

So I was looking at an article about this collection, and noticed that DeltaZeal looked familiar. Then I put two and two together and remembered this game from back in the day when it was added to MAME, but didn't recall anything about Triangle Service. I checked the driver source and that game was developed by a company called Oriental Soft. So how does it fit in with Triangle Service? Did Fujino work on that game, or acquire the rights? Or was the original such rip-off that he promised not to sue if they let him put it on his game disc?

Here's the article:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/624/624091/

It also mentions something about a Raiden Fighters designer working on this. Should I be curious? I don't remember G-Stream too well, but I do believe it was called a Raiden Fighters "clone" or somesuch.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oriental Soft was the Korean company that published/distributed G2020; it was developed by a Japanese team that included Fujino, a guy who went on to do the art for the first Raiden Fighters game and the composer that did the other Triangle stuff. They were allegedly really shifty and didn't pay any of the developers for most of the development period and cheaped out on the components for the arcade board at the last minute; part of the reason why it took so long to get the game working in MAME was because the boards had a tendency to melt. To this day they're still not even sure they dumped the final version of the game.

I have no idea who owns the rights to G2020; Fujino is claiming that ΔZEAL is a "new game that happens to be based on G2020" which makes me think that Oriental Service either died or is so inept that he can get away with re-releasing the game without any repercussions.

BOTEC

Oriental Soft was the Korean company that published/distributed G2020; it was developed by a Japanese team that included Fujino, a guy who went on to do the art for the first Raiden Fighters game and the composer that did the other Triangle stuff. They were allegedly really shifty and didn't pay any of the developers for most of the development period and cheaped out on the components for the arcade board at the last minute; part of the reason why it took so long to get the game working in MAME was because the boards had a tendency to melt. To this day they're still not even sure they dumped the final version of the game.

I have no idea who owns the rights to G2020; Fujino is claiming that ΔZEAL is a "new game that happens to be based on G2020" which makes me think that Oriental Service either died or is so inept that he can get away with re-releasing the game without any repercussions.

Interesting. I'll tell you what, I'm way more interested in this now. I thought this was going to be some more recycled 3D junk, but two 2D (albeit a little dodgy) games together is looking way more interesting to me. I'll wait on it, since it's dropping the same day as Saidaioujou, but I'll try to grab it later on.

Yes Boss!

Went to J-PSN to get a game since I still had 600 yen left over from Phantasy Star collection a few months back. Completely forgot that Harmful Park came out last year. Totally stoked! Fun game and amazing music.

gunstarhero

Went to J-PSN to get a game since I still had 600 yen left over from Phantasy Star collection a few months back. Completely forgot that Harmful Park came out last year. Totally stoked! Fun game and amazing music.

o_O

What system did this come out on? I've never even heard of it - and it looks awesome!

I have a JP account as well, let me know where to find it and i'll give it a go.

NZA36

Neo Member

Lots of funny voice acting.

shaowebb

Lots of funny voice acting.

Indeed. Shikigami 2 was my first big time replayed shmup as its insane engrish and bizarre character stories made me obsessively try to unlock more. Shikigami 3 wasn't engrished out and poorly translated though (which for once I was sad about since it was hilarious in 2), but the VA and dialogue is hilarious in its own rights as well. Play Roger+munchhausen for a crossdresser arc that is absolutely fabulous.

Roger Sasuke...he delivers the comedy gold in every Shikigami game he's ever been in. Here's hoping the translation of the visual novel game and Shikigami 1 go well. Did they Finish Shikigami 1 BTW? It was honestly really good.

Yes Boss!

o_O

What system did this come out on? I've never even heard of it - and it looks awesome!

I have a JP account as well, let me know where to find it and i'll give it a go.

Definitely give it a go. It was for PS1 and was 600 yen and is on the J-PSN store. Actually quite easy to find now in the new store with PS2/PS1/PC-Engine listed all easily finally. It is about a third of the way down the PS1 list since it is chronological and came out last year.

I've always wanted to try it but it is one of those $150+ games. Totally solid game with rad music (kinda like Little Ralph) and awesome, awesome sprites. Played about three hours this morning on normal. I know I'm going to be playing it all week.

meppi

Definitely give it a go. It was for PS1 and was 600 yen and is on the J-PSN store. Actually quite easy to find now in the new store with PS2/PS1/P-Engine listed all easily finally. It is about a third of the way down the PS1 list since it is chronological and came out last year.

I've always wanted to try it but it is one of those $150+ games. Totally solid game with rad music (kinda like Little Ralph) and awesome, awesome sprites. Played about three hours this morning on normal. I know I'm going to be playing it all week.

It's a bit on the easy side though. I recommend playing it on the harder difficulty.

Yes Boss!

It's a bit on the easy side though. I recommend playing it on the harder difficulty.

I did notice that. And it defaulted at Easy. I bumped it up and was kinda liking the Normal pace. Challenging enough because I was trying not to miss any of green gems and also not miss any enemies.

Yes Boss!

I would just email P-A.

They've charged me many times prior to actual shipping...last time being $500 the Miku Stick three months in advance. I emailed and got it cleared up but sometimes their systems do auto-debits.

Cave Collection seems like it is gone. Cheapest I know about now is the stock at Videogame Imports UK for the collection and extra OSTs...but even that will be $520 given what he is now charging:

http://www.videogameimports.com/

Today MOSS revealed the last (final?) boss character for Caladrius.

http://caladrius.mossjp.co.jp/boss5.html

They're really pushing this story thing hard with this game. It ships on Thursday, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yeah I'm picking it up this week too. Let's hope it's fun.

I went to a store demo last week to check it out and it didn't strike me as amazing. But then again the better you get at it the more boobs you get to see, so well how can you argue with that.

Yes Boss!

Yeah I'm picking it up this week too. Let's hope it's fun.

I went to a store demo last week to check it out and it didn't strike me as amazing. But then again the better you get at it the more boobs you get to see, so well how can you argue with that.

Eagerly await your impressions. Stateside, we will hopefully have it by Friday or Saturday. Looks good but I'm hoping story is not too intrusive. It has been many weeks since I've played a shooter so I should be recharged.

The coming month is going to be a lot of fun for shooter fans with so many releases!

Beckx

Today MOSS revealed the last (final?) boss character for Caladrius.

http://caladrius.mossjp.co.jp/boss5.html

They're really pushing this story thing hard with this game. It ships on Thursday, can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm bummed. Fraud protection declined my pre-order, which I suppose was good as I'm spending too much this month putting my arcade cabinet together. Going to hold off on this til the summer and see how you guys like it. I hope it's good, I love the idea of a horror shmup.

BOTEC

I'm bummed. Fraud protection declined my pre-order, which I suppose was good as I'm spending too much this month putting my arcade cabinet together. Going to hold off on this til the summer and see how you guys like it. I hope it's good, I love the idea of a horror shmup.

I'm not sure how "horror" it's going to be. It looks more like anime-gothic. It seems to be very much in the same vein as the Deathsmiles games.

BOTEC

Caladrius shipped. Woot!

@Yes Boss!: That is a sweet cover. It caught my eye, and prompted me to look more into this collection. Now I'm seriously considering buying a Triangle Service game, something I'd never thought I'd do again.

Yes Boss!

I paid Amiami for my Caladrius so likely ships tomorrow and arrive by the weekend!

I've put a few more hours into Harmful Park. Loads of fun.

BOTEC,

Triangle game is mad cheap, it and is region-free. Time to support. Though, it does look pretty good. Helps that I'm not really that excited for SDOJ and they are releasing together.

shaowebb

Alltynex Trilogy localization is now a kickstarter from Nyu Media

I want to support this coming over, but $35 to get all 3? How much were they supposed to ship for in a bundle on Steam? I know its Kamui with Tate support and polish, but...really?

It sounds like most of the funding is just to add additional polish and to gain Steam Greenlight attention, but I don't see how funding this will get it more attention on Steam Greenlight at all honestly. I really hate Greenlight for bottlenecking developers and forcing them to beg for approval in order to release products these days.

Im just sort of torn here. I want to support this, but how much was this trilogy supposed to cost after launch if they are asking $35 of backers to get all 3. You can't even get one of the games as a reward until you donate $15...

vall03

Just saw the Alltynex Kickstarter. I don't know if I can drop down $35 for all three games right now. Theres that perk to also get the soundtrack with that but not right now. Maybe when the deadline approaches and they still haven't reached their goal. I really want more shmups to get released on Steam, but Greenlight ruined basically all Japanese doujin games chances of ever releasing there.

Momentary

Banned
Alltynex Trilogy localization is now a kickstarter from Nyu Media

I want to support this coming over, but $35 to get all 3? How much were they supposed to ship for in a bundle on Steam? I know its Kamui with Tate support and polish, but...really?

It sounds like most of the funding is just to add additional polish and to gain Steam Greenlight attention, but I don't see how funding this will get it more attention on Steam Greenlight at all honestly. I really hate Greenlight for bottlenecking developers and forcing them to beg for approval in order to release products these days.

Im just sort of torn here. I want to support this, but how much was this trilogy supposed to cost after launch if they are asking $35 of backers to get all 3. You can't even get one of the games as a reward until you donate $15...

It does seem kind of steep. They definitely look like they are going to reach their goal though. Maybe you can wait it out for it to get accepted on Kickstarter. A game that looks this good will surely make it through.....maybe.

Slermy

Pretty sure it's not. :(

On a side note, is there footage of the Shooting Love collection somewhere? I can't seem to find any.

BOTEC

perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, but is caladrius region free?

Play-asia's product page says no, and since they have it in stock, I'm sure they've tested it themselves. They also dropped the price by $5 since I've ordered it. Assholes.

@Slermy: I don't know if there is footage of this new collection itself, but the games on there are fairly old. You can find plenty YouTube clips of XII Stag ("Twelve Stag," no I don't know what the heck that is), and G-Stream G2020. I also dislike how Fujino decided to rename everything Triangle Service puts out as SmotheingZeal.

Play-asia's product page says no, and since they have it in stock, I'm sure they've tested it themselves. They also dropped the price by $5 since I've ordered it. Assholes.

Yeah, Play-Asia will generally list a question mark if it's something they haven't personally tested, so a No mark is pretty much final confirmation.

If they haven't shipped yet, you can drop customer service a note and they'll adjust your order. Not sure what they can do after the order ships but it's still worth contacting them about.

Slermy

@Slermy: I don't know if there is footage of this new collection itself, but the games on there are fairly old. You can find plenty YouTube clips of XII Stag ("Twelve Stag," no I don't know what the heck that is), and G-Stream G2020. I also dislike how Fujino decided to rename everything Triangle Service puts out as SmotheingZeal.

Sweet, thanks!

damn, for a sec there I thought Caladrius was a Qute game. haha.

regarding triangle service: I did get hype during the time of Trizeal DC release, but that was probably due to the 'hype' with G.Rev's and Milestone's releases, during those years of "Dreamcast swan song shmups"... funny, when I try to remember TriService games, i think of bullets & ships against a black background. unfinished looking games. good intentions, so-so execution.

I think fondly of these three companies (Grev, MS, TS), kinda disappointing to see where they are now, with regards to shmups. G.Rev is doing well otherwise though. I think milestone is dead.

gryz

Banned
spent the last week or so focusing on beating Salamander expert mode on PC Engine, i can get up to level 5 now

how does this game manage to be so good?

First footage of yet another Dreamcast shooter called Ghost Blade from the good people of Hucast :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFWS2TBKi4w

Huh, actually looks pretty good! Somewhat Raiden or maybe Psikyo-inspired, I guess. Nice to see that it's not another R-Type knockoff like Dux, and that it's a Dreamcast game and not a Neo-Geo port (I mean, the Neo-Geo is awesome, but games designed for it aren't really Dreamcast games.)

Top Bottom