• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Haha. Well, the collection is pretty solid. I have played the PSX version of it a few times. I read somewhere that the resolution is slightly different between the PSX and Saturn versions, but the gameplay is the same.
What's the resolution difference between the versions?

On my Saturn version there are video 2 options; the first is 1:1 pixel scaling with the arcade version, so there are vertical black bars that pillar box the image. The second video option horizontally scales it to fill the entire screen, resulting in an ugly non-native look. Does the PS1 version look better? Perhaps the PS1 has the same native res as the arcade version so it looks correct?

lol, apparently there was a Win 95 version of Salamander Deluxe pack. You learn something new every day.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I nominate Vic Viper for very badass ship design.

XrQ1kpl.jpg

What's the resolution difference between the versions?

On my Saturn version there are video 2 options; the first is 1:1 pixel scaling with the arcade version, so there are vertical black bars that pillar box the image. The second video option horizontally scales it to fill the entire screen, resulting in an ugly non-native look. Does the PS1 version look better? Perhaps the PS1 has the same native res as the arcade version so it looks correct?

lol, apparently there was a Win 95 version of Salamander Deluxe pack. You learn something new every day.

I'm honestly not sure on the specifics. Something about the PSX version forcing black bars...

Here's the thread I stumbled upon a year or so ago where they discuss it: http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/forumvb/showthread.php?t=3442

I'm honestly not sure on the specifics. Something about the PSX version forcing black bars...

Here's the thread I stumbled upon a year or so ago where they discuss it: http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/forumvb/showthread.php?t=3442

According to the link it's the opposite. As expected, the PS1 shares the same native resolution as the arcade version (256x224) so there is no pillar boxing or stretching like the Saturn release. The lowest resolution Saturn is capable of is 320x224 so it forces the pillar boxes (black bars) or unattractive non-native stretching.

Heh, the Saturn resolution can be a curse when it comes to ports. Stuff like SotN looks gross with non-native pixel scaling, and other stuff like Mega Man X3 keep their 1:1 pixel ratio and force borders, but result in the image looking "thin" since it was originally designed to be filling a 4:3 area.

Nags

Banned
Didn't read his post?

I read it. The psp go set up just caught my eye though since I have been doing the same. A lot of people don't realize that system is dirt cheap and kinda worth it if you have any psp titles digitally. One I got from gamestop was like $60.

Yes Boss!

I read it. The psp go set up just caught my eye though since I have been doing the same. A lot of people don't realize that system is dirt cheap and kinda worth it if you have any psp titles digitally. One I got from gamestop was like $60.

Totally worth it. I have a similar setup for the 3000 and it is just not the same with using the whole system as a controller. Dualshock pairing is seamless, perfect and amazing. I used to use my little Go/Dualshock as a tate monitor setup for Donpachi and Dodonpachi in the Afghan mountains. Ace.

hoverX

The school theme sounds pretty intriguing.

Not sure if you've ever seen it, but the Shmups Forum has a ton of good tips on shmup development here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39679

My personal take: stay away from random elements and make scoring fun, and you've got a winner. Otherwise, you got Sine Mora.

Thanks for the input. I was expecting everyone to vote for the abstract idea so I'm glad i asked.

I have seen that post on the Shmup forum but haven't read it all. Thanks for the link though!

I saw a post on shmups.system11.org that polled users about their favorite theme and the vast majority of people chose sci-fi or other military type themes. I'm just worried that having something too centered around school items may not appeal to the majority of shmup players.

Daigoro

I can get the 360 ver or the T-16 ver (through VC).
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 360 version of r-type does not allow you to customize the controls. so of you are using a stick you're shit out of luck.

only reason I haven't bought the game. shit is unacceptable.

( if I am somehow wrong ill buy that shit tomorrow. but pretty sure you can't customize)

shaowebb

If you could only go after one (i'll get both at some point) first, Cotton or Seirei Senshi Spriggan (Both PC engine titles).

Seirei Senshi Spriggan

Cotton has a lot of silly story and fun themes, but honestly I feel Seirei Senshi Spriggan is just a better overall game in terms of gameplay. Remember though...I don't like Gradius, but dig top downs. Take what I say as an opinion that is biased as hell.

Yes Boss!

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 360 version of r-type does not allow you to customize the controls. so of you are using a stick you're shit out of luck.

( if I am somehow wrong ill buy that shit tomorrow. but pretty sure you can't customize)

No customizable controls but they've set it up quite nice:

A = Fire
B = Auto
X = Pod Release

Works perfectly fine for me since they are lined up perfectly. I can see that the Auto in there might throw off a classic arcade player but it is nice to have it in there. Right now, though, I'm using a qanba stick which places A and X right next to one another like the arcade.

One other thing about the port, for folks pumping it through a CRT/Cab it is one of those 16:9 games only so you get borders on all four sides. Not a big deal as it was designed for HDTVs but kinda sucks because both games are such fantastic ports.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I read it.

Rocking that psp go connected with component and using a PS3 controller?!
All about it!

Don't lie to me

Bummer (especially since my planned 4-button's layout would be A-X-Y-B), but not a deal breaker.

Slermy

I have a copy, I'll try to verify it for you guys.

It boggles my mind that in this day and age, some developers STILL don't give you customizable controles. Hell, that shit should be a system level feature.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I received the Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 for Saturn yesterday. It's the first time I ever played a Thunder Force game.
I really like Thunder Force III, it's kicking my ass (managed to beat 2 levels in a row max so far), but I love it. Does it matter which level I start with (other than that it changes the order)?
Couldn't really get into Thunder Force II, though.

Edit: And then I read on Hardcoregaming that TF3 is supposed to be very easy...

Edit2: I just found out there's an option menu. They hid that one pretty well.

According to the link it's the opposite. As expected, the PS1 shares the same native resolution as the arcade version (256x224) so there is no pillar boxing or stretching like the Saturn release. The lowest resolution Saturn is capable of is 320x224 so it forces the pillar boxes (black bars) or unattractive non-native stretching.

is this also why Donpachi / Dodonpachi on PS1 is preferred? I never honestly tried that port (nor the Saturn)

is this also why Donpachi / Dodonpachi on PS1 is preferred? I never honestly tried that port (nor the Saturn)
I don't think it's that cut and dry.

Saturn DDP in tate doesn't look stretched to me unsurprisingly, the arcade original in tate is 240x320 and the Saturn can output that resolution without any issues problem. Strangely though, while the backgrounds and player and enemy sprites are all drawn correctly at the right resolution, the explosions look really grainy and out of place.

PS1 version in tate on the other hand draws everything at the right resolution and doesn't have fucked up explosions like the Saturn version does. The drawback in the PS1 version is if you ever play 2-player both ships need to be the same type. Saturn version doesn't have this restriction. Also, the Saturn version has periphery shit like the Saturn-exclusive arrange mode.

Overall though, if you're looking for a 1P arcade-like experience without getting the PCB go for the PS1 version.

Teknoman

Seirei Senshi Spriggan

Cotton has a lot of silly story and fun themes, but honestly I feel Seirei Senshi Spriggan is just a better overall game in terms of gameplay. Remember though...I don't like Gradius, but dig top downs. Take what I say as an opinion that is biased as hell.

After a good deal of thought, went with Spriggan first.

gunstarhero

I received the Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 for Saturn yesterday. It's the first time I ever played a Thunder Force game.
I really like Thunder Force III, it's kicking my ass (managed to beat 2 levels in a row max so far), but I love it. Does it matter which level I start with (other than that it changes the order)?
Couldn't really get into Thunder Force II, though.

Edit: And then I read on Hardcoregaming that TF3 is supposed to be very easy...

Edit2: I just found out there's an option menu. They hid that one pretty well.

Dosen't really matter what stages you pick - you go thru them all eventually.

T3 is pretty easy - with some practice, you can 1CC it on Hard and still find it enjoyable.

T2 is pretty awesome IMO, it's the top down levels that take some getting used to, but totally worth the effort. I remember beating it when I was a kid and it felt a lot more rewarding than T3. Mainly because of how awesome the last boss stage is.

T2 thru T4 are the best in the series IMO - didn't care for T5 and 6 at all.

Giving this a little bump.

Yesterday we had a nearly 2 hours and a half stream devoted to The Tale of Alltynex, the upcoming localization by Nyu Media. I participated in the event along with a couple of seasoned schmukmup players.

Here is the massive thingo uploaded on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0TsZPTX2U

Loads of questions were answered from technical aspects and other stuff as well as plenty of story reveals and spoilers.

In other news, I would kill for that Nesica live version of Crimzon Clover... Hope the dev eventually patches the PC version to add at least some of the polish.

hoverX

T2 is pretty awesome IMO, it's the top down levels that take some getting used to, but totally worth the effort.

I didn't even realize that there were levels that weren't top down in TF2. I couldn't stand the first level so never gave it much of a chance. I love TF3 though.

Credo

It's time for a giveaway, Shmup-GAF. I've been unable to sell R-Type Final (PS2) on eBay, so the first person who claims it in this thread gets it for just the cost of shipping. The disc and manual are in really good condition, and the case is decent except for a small punctured spot on the plastic in the top-right corner. You can replace the case if that bothers you.

Slermy

R-Type Final is a great game. Very generous of you to give it away.

Sorry for the late response, but I did verify that you cannot customize the controls.

Kainazzo

I've got a chance at getting a pristine PC Engine Duo R with RGB and a legit copy of Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire. It's not as much as you would pay online for it all, but it's still quite expensive, and I'd like your opinion on if it's worth it. The Duo R is a classy looking system, but there's really nothing on it that I want. Rondo of Blood is already on the Wii VC (even supporting 240p), and while Sapphire has excellent music, it doesn't look like a defining shooter of the ages. Looking at Youtube footage, it seems like I've played much better in Axelay, UN Squadron, Gley Lancer, MUSHA, CAVE games, and the Aleste series.

So, as someone who collects games to play rather than to flip in ~20 years, is it really worth the triple digit prices? To players, is Sapphire in your top 5 shooters ever? It seems like if I'm not immediately interested in the system, I should probably pass on the Duo R. But heck- maybe there's something super awesome that I'm not aware of.

andymcc

Banned
I've got a chance at getting a pristine PC Engine Duo R with RGB and a legit copy of Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire. It's not as much as you would pay online for it all, but it's still quite expensive, and I'd like your opinion on if it's worth it. The Duo R is a classy looking system, but there's really nothing on it that I want. Rondo of Blood is already on the Wii VC (even supporting 240p), and while Sapphire has excellent music, it doesn't look like a defining shooter of the ages. Looking at Youtube footage, it seems like I've played much better in Axelay, UN Squadron, Gley Lancer, MUSHA, CAVE games, and the Aleste series.

So, as someone who collects games to play rather than to flip in ~20 years, is it really worth the triple digit prices? To players, is Sapphire in your top 5 shooters ever? It seems like if I'm not immediately interested in the system, I should probably pass on the Duo R. But heck- maybe there's something super awesome that I'm not aware of.

Sapphire is not really worth it outside of a good score and a few fancy graphical effects imho. The Duo-R, however, is a great system and you should really give it a chance. I'm surprised there is nothing you would want on it.

Kainazzo

Sapphire is not really worth it outside of a good score and a few fancy graphical effects imho. The Duo-R, however, is a great system and you should really give it a chance. I'm surprised there is nothing you would want on it.

Honestly, I'm surprised too. I never owned one as a kid; looking at it now I see Lords of Thunder, Bonk, Alien Crush, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse, and the rest, and don't feel like rushing to get it. Again, Rondo of Blood is fantastic, but I can pretty much play it perfectly already. Clearly there's good content for it, but I'm feeling apathetic towards it all. Can Dunbar's number apply to games? Regardless, thank you, it looks like I'll be saving a bundle not getting Sapphire.

Careful, there are tons of Saphirre bootlegs out there, and they're nigh-indistinguishable from the real thing.

The Turbografx/PC Engine is one of the greatest shmup consoles ever, right up there with the Saturn. If you like classic-style (ie, pre-bullethell) shmups at all... yes, it's absolutely 100% worth having. The TG16/PCE (HuCard and CD) is an exceptional shmups system. Best of its generation for sure (that is, it's better than SNES and Genesis), overall, most shmup fans would agree.

As for Sapphire, yeah, beware of the bootlegs. It is a very good game, but I don't know about top 5 ever... I do like it a lot though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Has anyone mentioned the upcoming Shooting Love 10th Anniversary release from Triangle Service? Contains ports of G-Stream 2020 (as "DELTAZEAL") and XII Stag (as "XIIZEAL"), maybe some skills test stuff too, not quite sure. X360, region-free, out at the end of May.

PS2 Classic sorry for got to mention that

Don't sweat it, just curious.

Slermy

Has anyone mentioned the upcoming Shooting Love 10th Anniversary release from Triangle Service? Contains ports of G-Stream 2020 (as "DELTAZEAL") and XII Stag (as "XIIZEAL"), maybe some skills test stuff too, not quite sure. X360, region-free, out at the end of May.

Don't sweat it, just curious.

People have been pretty quiet about that one. I don't remember if I had heard the region-free confirmation before though. Thanks for the head's-up / reminder!

Yes Boss!

Of the three upcoming games for 360 it is definitely the one I'm most looking forward to. Shooting Love 200X was aweesome.

BOTEC

Psyvariar was released on JPSN tonight. Looks kinda cool

¥1200

Yay! I love Psyvariar, I might double-dip just for the hell of it.

i don't know-- that one Pengo revival they did looked pretty cool.

I played XII Stag and Trizeal in arcades and goddamn did they suck...

I'm a pretty adamant Triangle Service hater. The games are boring and ugly as fuck, and the company president is a whiny jackass. Do not want.

Dave Long

Banned
The Turbografx/PC Engine is one of the greatest shmup consoles ever, right up there with the Saturn. If you like classic-style (ie, pre-bullethell) shmups at all... yes, it's absolutely 100% worth having. The TG16/PCE (HuCard and CD) is an exceptional shmups system. Best of its generation for sure (that is, it's better than SNES and Genesis), overall, most shmup fans would agree.

As for Sapphire, yeah, beware of the bootlegs. It is a very good game, but I don't know about top 5 ever... I do like it a lot though.
Are all the top Turbo shooters on the Wii Virtual Console?

Yes Boss!

Are all the top Turbo shooters on the Wii Virtual Console?

Only a fraction. If you access the japanese store you get a ton more...a lot more of the CD games (things like L-Dis). Still, a lot of the early ones and big Hu classics are up on the NA store...though most suffer from the early emulation filter.

Dave Long

Banned
Ah... ok. I have a hard time justifying collecting for the TurboGrafx in any of its forms only because I spend so much on SEGA, Neo Geo and Nintendo retro consoles. I have considered jumping in, though.

BOTEC

Ah... ok. I have a hard time justifying collecting for the TurboGrafx in any of its forms only because I spend so much on SEGA, Neo Geo and Nintendo retro consoles. I have considered jumping in, though.

I say go for it. TurboGrafx/PC Engine is a great system, probably my favorite of the 8/16-bit era. It's worth getting into in my opinion especially for the early CD based stuff. It blows your mind when you consider those games are running off of an 8-bit CPU. Great stuff.

Yes Boss!

I say go for it. TurboGrafx/PC Engine is a great system, probably my favorite of the 8/16-bit era. It's worth getting into in my opinion especially for the early CD based stuff. It blows your mind when you consider those games are running off of an 8-bit CPU. Great stuff.

Truth. Regular old CD and Super CD is where it is at. Shmup-wise, it is solid on Hu (better than Genesis or SNES, I'd argue) but add in the CD games and it obliterates everyhing that gen.

Top Bottom