• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

SOME-MIST

Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE. Glorious Seimitsu parts and built like a tank.
this was my first arcade stick, and I'd highly recommend it.

the same question popped up on the shmup forums recently, and there was a whole bandwagon of people who recommend the qanba q4 which piqued my interest. so that might be something else to look into.

Aizo

Banned
Damn. Kinda expensive. I might wait to I return to my home country since I don't think I could take it back from Japan... (there won't be enough room in my bags at the end of the year.)

Yes Boss!

My Kickstarted copy of Redux: Dark Matters LE came in and I have a question.

Is it supposed to look so low res? The DUX 1.5 which was included is nice and sharp, while Redux literally looks like it's running at half the resolution.

In other news, R-Type is coming to 3DS
in Japan
!

It is way lower resolution. But it is actually a very good game, unlike the first title, so it more than makes up for it!

Stoked about R-Type. Looks like part one. Gonna be on my 3DS next week!

Slermy

It is way lower resolution. But it is actually a very good game, unlike the first title, so it more than makes up for it!

Stoked about R-Type. Looks like part one. Gonna be on my 3DS next week!

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear my copy isn't just bugging out for some reason.

japtor

If anyone is in southern California, STG Weekly guys are going to have some setup at SoCal Regionals at UC Irvine on Saturday. Sounds like it'll just be 360s though unless they can get a cab or supergun. Come out if you want to see other shmup nerds playing (maybe I can pull another Ketsui 1CC out of my ass), and there's gonna be a free raffle for some games.

Yes Boss!

If anyone is in southern California, STG Weekly guys are going to have some setup at SoCal Regionals at UC Irvine on Saturday. Sounds like it'll just be 360s though unless they can get a cab or supergun. Come out if you want to see other shmup nerds playing (maybe I can pull another Ketsui 1CC out of my ass), and there's gonna be a free raffle for some games.

I don't live there currently but that is usually my neighborhood (I'm from laguna niguel and aliso viejo area). Neat to see something shooter in south orange county. Have fun!

Coda

I'd be all over that if I lived in Cali.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
will be there Friday but not Saturday. Oh well

Bydobob

this was my first arcade stick, and I'd highly recommend it.

the same question popped up on the shmup forums recently, and there was a whole bandwagon of people who recommend the qanba q4 which piqued my interest. so that might be something else to look into.

The Qanba Q4 is also compatible with the PS3 if you've got both. I've also heard them rated highly.

I'm currently using Hori's Soul Calibur V 360 stick. It's got full Sanwa parts (excluding start button!) which I prefer over Seimitsu. It's also still widely available at well under RRP http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006TC57WO/

No love for R-Types on PS1?

Lots of love here. First game especially is a near-as-damnit perfect port.

Coda

I used to play all my shmups on my stick but once I got a PS2 Sega Saturn pad I play all my shmups with the pad now. I may lose a bit of skill because of it in terms of doing really tricky dodging but I just like sitting back and relaxing with a pad over playing with an arcade stick and it's still one of the most responsive and tight D-Pads ever made. Makes playing shmups a much chiller experience in my view.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nice that Raiden IV is coming out in the west. Any word on pricing?

I don't think they mentioned a price yet (neither US nor Japan). But I'd expect it to be around the same as Mamorukun.
Though, I'd gladly pay more, but don't tell Ufo Interactive.

Edit: Btw., Mamorukun is $9.99 right now, did I miss a sale on this or is it a permanent price drop?

Apollyon

Neo Member

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there any chance that this might lead to a port of Raiden Fighters Aces? Looking at Wikipedia the game seems to have a different developer and publisher. I just want to finally be able to play this in a good version (so something not Raiden Legacy).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Is there any chance that this might lead to a port of Raiden Fighters Aces? Looking at Wikipedia the game seems to have a different developer and publisher. I just want to finally be able to play this in a good version (so something not Raiden Legacy).
do you live in EU?

SOME-MIST

looking for a Psikyo recommendation. I've only really played Dragon Blaze (sparingly) and I want a new title. after having done some research, I know I want a strikers 1999 pcb, but I'm looking for a cheaper (physical copy) solution for the time being.

Gunbird 2 would be cheapest (dreamcast and with an easy means of playing dreamcast games) and I've seen it in "favorite psikyo lists". I've really been looking at Strikers 1945 II (saturn version even though I've read that the ps1 port is better).

help me out guys!

Coda

I always felt like Psyiko games always had a weird sluggish feel to them, unlike Cave games that feel smooth like butter. I don't think it was bad or anything but the difference is noticeable.

SOME-MIST

that's the thing... I WANT to get into psikyo games, but I don't want to play one that will turn me off of psikyo completely. I've read many times that dangun feveron is a very psikyo-esque game and I love feveron... so I want to venture!

so right now what I've been looking at: gunbird 2? strikers 1945? strikers 1945 II? save for a strikers 1999 pcb? or something completely different?

BOTEC

Psikyo games are awesome. There were a few PS2 collections released that bundled the Strikers 1945 games, Sengoku Ace + Blade, and Dragon Blaze + Sol Divide. That would be the route I'd choose outside of PCB's. I grabbed the Striker 1945 II PSX port from PSN, and it feels awkward. Like it's missing frames or something.

BOTEC

is this port any good? I basically just want the option to tate and minimal performance issues. did a quick search on google/shmups forums and couldn't find a trustworthy review.

Sorry, I don't know firsthand. But I never heard any thing bad about it.

shaowebb

Wow...just noticed Raiden IV OVERKILL coming to PSN. New modes, looks like some new ships, arcade mode...just looks like a great special edition.

Link

Top Bottom