• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Tain

Yeah, the Qute struggle-tier art from this and Bullet Soul are some straight-up Megatokyo ish.

lol yeah, that's the best way to put it. I think their 3D visuals are mostly competent looking, at least. Save that terrain in that one stage of Ginga Force.

mdsfx

Hmm, just for kicks, and because of the raiden 5 news, I hunted down a copy of raiden iv for 360 ($17!). It looks appealing, but I'm a little worried im might not like it due to my hate for raiden scoring from having played raiden fighters. Hoping that won't be the case

SOME-MIST

oh wow, you almost never see physical copies of it any more... especially after rancor sold out.

gl with the sale - I don't imagine it'll sit for very long at all.

Yes Boss!

oh wow, you almost never see physical copies of it any more... especially after rancor sold out.

gl with the sale - I don't imagine it'll sit for very long at all.

Yeah, with the fantastic steam port I don't think I'll ever use it again. In fact, I don't think I would even know how to install it on a computer. I gave away the free OST it came with longl,long time ago here. Hopefully it get a new home.

DonPachi is definitely easier. It has a weird difficulty curve in that it's pretty easy for most of it then ramps up at the end. DoDonPachi has a perfect difficulty curve though in my opinion.
Yeah, I started DoDonPachi because it's my people's favourite DoDonPachi game. And because I really like the music and other things about the game. But it's really hard, too.

I thought maybe it would be fun to try to master all the games in order. And DoDonPachi was really easy. So it was encouraging. And it does seem like it gets much harder in the end. The first few levels are really easy. I'm usually able to get more than 600,000 points on the first stage. But at the end I have to give up on scoring because it's much much harder and I have a hard time 1cc'ing it.

You know, in a lot of ways, playing STGs and trying to master them feels a lot like playing RPGs in a way. There's a lot of grinding. I feel like I'm playing the same levels over and over again trying to get better. But instead of like when you level up in the game in RPGs, you level up by getting better. I've noticed I've gotten better at grinding in RPGs after playing lots of STGs, because I'm more used to staying in the same places. Sometimes I feel like I haven't gotten any better and it feels like I haven't gotten any better. Because I learn really slow and don't get better very quickly.

I'm sure I get better and stuff. But it happens more slow than leveling in RPG games. Sometimes after losing a bunch I play an RPG I like and grind a bunch. Because it feels like I'm progressing.

I know I'm supposed to care about 1cc'ing and scoring. But sometimes I just go wild and play the game and use as many continues as I want to. Because it gets really grindy to try to 1cc the game all the time.
Sometimes I just decide to have fun and use a bunch of continues. Variety is nice.

AmyS

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51471&start=30

Both Raiden II and Raiden DX will be fully playable when MAME 1.55 is released. No word on when 1.55 will get released but:

WiPGto3.jpg

gEADoMa.jpg

BTJ112I.gif

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=bd28be44616f9597b76824fb89e5178a17e2de9a

Fuck yeah.
New games added or promoted from NOT_WORKING status
---------------------------------------------------
Raiden 2 [Angelo Salese, Olivier Galibert]
Raiden DX [Angelo Salese, Olivier Galibert]

Tain

Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga are the must-owns, I think. Satazius, the Siter Skain games (currently just RefleX but others seem to be coming), and Ether Vapor Remaster are also solid from what I've played, but not really in the same league. You might also see suggestions for Sine Mora, Astebreed, and Jamestown, but I can't really get behind those. Steam definitely doesn't have the best library for this genre.

Reclaimer

There has been talk recently about starting an Arcade OT... I'm down to help with content/banners/etc!

I've been hoping GAF had it in them to jump on that train. I'm visiting other forums a bit more as of late specifically to talk arcade cabs and games.

danmaku

You know, in a lot of ways, playing STGs and trying to master them feels a lot like playing RPGs in a way. There's a lot of grinding. I feel like I'm playing the same levels over and over again trying to get better. But instead of like when you level up in the game in RPGs, you level up by getting better. I've noticed I've gotten better at grinding in RPGs after playing lots of STGs, because I'm more used to staying in the same places. Sometimes I feel like I haven't gotten any better and it feels like I haven't gotten any better. Because I learn really slow and don't get better very quickly.

I'm sure I get better and stuff. But it happens more slow than leveling in RPG games. Sometimes after losing a bunch I play an RPG I like and grind a bunch. Because it feels like I'm progressing.

I remember Clover-TAC saying the exact same thing in an interview. Something like "In RPGs your character gets better, in STGs you get better". Problem is, the progress isn't guaranteed; in an RPG you can be sure you'll hit the next level sooner or later, in an STG you might never reach the end of the game (or a high score or whatever your goal is). Also, STGs usually don't give you bars to fill, unlocks or other types of rewards to measure your progress and make you feel better. That's what makes them more intimidating than RPGs, imho.

There has been talk recently about starting an Arcade OT... I'm down to help with content/banners/etc!

I've been hoping GAF had it in them to jump on that train. I'm visiting other forums a bit more as of late specifically to talk arcade cabs and games.

Would sub and post in that thread. Please make sure there's room for modern arcade as well for those who lives in areas where arcades are still around. For instance, besides shooters, I play Border Break and DIVA in the arcade and have nowhere to post about it really since these are networked arcade games that are mostly not outside of Japan.

I remember Clover-TAC saying the exact same thing in an interview. Something like "In RPGs your character gets better, in STGs you get better". Problem is, the progress isn't guaranteed; in an RPG you can be sure you'll hit the next level sooner or later, in an STG you might never reach the end of the game (or a high score or whatever your goal is). Also, STGs usually don't give you bars to fill, unlocks or other types of rewards to measure your progress and make you feel better. That's what makes them more intimidating than RPGs, imho.

Maybe Radiant Silvergun is so popular because many people play it like an RPG.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51471&start=30

Both Raiden II and Raiden DX will be fully playable when MAME 1.55 is released. No word on when 1.55 will get released but:

raiden 2 pics

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=bd28be44616f9597b76824fb89e5178a17e2de9a

I google for "mame zero team" every month in hopes of seeing some news and lo and behold, the protection's finally been figured out! I got MAME 0154 SVN 32230 X64 from here (compiled date : 2014-20-09), or you can try and compile your own version, but Raiden II and DX work just fine. :D

ALT1lSo.png
NMhPFJy.png

Yes Boss!

Would sub and post in that thread. Please make sure there's room for modern arcade as well for those who lives in areas where arcades are still around. For instance, besides shooters, I play Border Break and DIVA in the arcade and have nowhere to post about it really since these are networked arcade games that are mostly not outside of Japan.

As would I. Lots of arcade folks here on GAF (and quite a few in the shooter thread alone). I know StarCreator just got a Pop N' Music cab, for example.

And, I'm always jones-ing to pick up a Darius Burst EX cab.

Well, I'm sure you get better. I mean, I think I'm getting better. So I'm sure it's always possible to beat the game or 1cc the game or get a high score or something like that someday. It just takes time.

I wonder... how long it takes to master a game like DoDonPachi? I feel like I have a lot more to learn before I can have things like high scores and things like that.

mdsfx

Well I am surprisingly enjoying the hell out of Raiden IV. I had no idea what I was missing in my cave-shmup tunnel-vision. Great game so far with fun weapon choices, great visuals, and fun patterns.

Makes me wonder if I should try Ginga Force or any others...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Well I am surprisingly enjoying the hell out of Raiden IV. I had no idea what I was missing in my cave-shmup tunnel-vision. Great game so far with fun weapon choices, great visuals, and fun patterns.

RAIDEN

FIGHTERS

ACES

AmyS

I google for "mame zero team" every month in hopes of seeing some news and lo and behold, the protection's finally been figured out! I got MAME 0154 SVN 32230 X64 from here (compiled date : 2014-20-09), or you can try and compile your own version, but Raiden II and DX work just fine. :D

Yay, thx!

Playing Raiden II and DX is glorious, can finally put The Raiden Project for PS1 back up on the shelf and delete the old Win95 port of II from my HDD.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Eschatos and Ginga Force are dope.

Yes Boss!

I owned that for a very short period of time years ago, but did not enjoy it. I think it was the wacky scoring. Maybe I should give it another go.

Wow, that is my favorite shooter on the 360. Definitely give it another go in the future...even if you skip the scoring. Just pumping fun.

oneida

I owned that for a very short period of time years ago, but did not enjoy it. I think it was the wacky scoring. Maybe I should give it another go.
the scoring is pretty unintrusive compared to most other games... play it because it's fun!

mdsfx

the scoring is pretty unintrusive compared to most other games... play it because it's fun!
One of the games gave bonuses for secret stuff I thought was kind of annoying. Something like "shoot the 5th house on the ground in level x but not the others"...

oneida

One of the games gave bonuses for secret stuff I thought was kind of annoying. Something like "shoot the 5th house on the ground in level x but not the others"...
the hidden fairies in the Fighters series aren't that different than they are in Raiden IV

mdsfx

the hidden fairies in the Fighters series aren't that different than they are in Raiden IV
Except that I was unaware that they existed in RIV. Regardless, I think I will just play these for survival, making my argument completely void :)

oneida

Except that I was unaware that they existed in RIV. Regardless, I think I will just play these for survival, making my argument completely void :)
good! they're hard games and I was pretty surprised you were playing for score.

BOTEC

Here's that Raiden V "TGS trailer" that wasn't actually at TGS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7y8zeHUuI

I'm curious to see if this will be an arcade first, or console first, then maybe arcade (like Caladrius), or if this was somehow moneyhatted by MS and will be a Xbone exclusive.

In other MOSS news, some dudes are trying to put together a Caladrius AC super play DVD. I'm a little peeved that this isn't a Blu-ray, but this operation looks low rent as hell, so not surprising. I hope this will have a wider distribution than just amazon.co.jp so I can get my hands on it.

Edit: It looks like there will also be a Blu-ray. Outfit still looks mad ghetto.

Ulthwe

To those of you expecting more shmup goodness from TGS, Wired's got you covered: You’ll Need to Pedal Hard if You Want to Beat This Shoot-’Em-Up
Lighting Fighter 2 for Android & iOS, playable with a bike controller.
Wired said:
Turning the handlebars turns the ship left and right. Accelerating boosts the strength of the ship. Pedal like you’re sprinting to the finish line and your shields go up, making you nearly invincible. That’s important, because Lightning Fighter 2 is a so-called “bullet hell” shooter in which enemy fire can fill almost the entire screen. The only way to survive in such games is pinpoint-precise movement—difficult with a standard joystick, and basically impossible on an exercise bike. So your virtual survival depends on being physically fit IRL.

Tain

Wario64 just pointed out on twitter that Raiden III showed up out of nowhere on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315670/

and it's out right now whaaaaaat

I know it's no Raiden IV, but it's nice to have a good version of this. I'm assuming this is the old PC port with some slight compatibility tweaks. I'll see how it goes, it's downloading now.

edit: it doesn't run for me right now lol

Wario64 just pointed out on twitter that Raiden III showed up out of nowhere on Steam

I know it's no Raiden IV, but it's nice to have a good version of this. I'm assuming this is the old PC port with some slight compatibility tweaks. I'll see how it goes, it's downloading now.

Ah interesting, they must've ported the NESiCA version! Proves that shooter devs are more and more looking at that as an option. Ikaruga, Crimzon Clover and Raiden III were all PC ported after being on NESiCA.

Ahaha I came to ask about this, I've heard weird things about the PC port, including waaaaaay back when it first came out of people having issues with it as well.

If my memory isn't complete shit, there was some language setting work around, I think? Otherwise it just crashed? Fuck if I can remember, that was years ago at this point.

Tain

Okay, quick impressions:

It wasn't running for me because it is not G-Sync compatible, which should be no surprise given that this game is downright built around 60hz vsync providing it all sense of timing. No problem, turned off G-Sync for it and it's fine.

It does not support POV hats, rendering 360 pads and sticks unusable. Bummer. Hopefully we can see a patch. I can use a PS3 stick (or joytokey uuugh) until then.

It's still a 480x640 / 640x480 game with no resolution options. There are TATE options.

To summarize, it's the same port as before, but a little more compatible maybe and now on Steam.

Ah interesting, they must've ported the NESiCA version! Proves that shooter devs are more and more looking at that as an option. Ikaruga, Crimzon Clover and Raiden III were all PC ported after being on NESiCA.

It looks like a European publisher's release, the same dudes that released BlazBlue on GFWL way back when, so unfortunately it's probably not a MOSS initiative and it's not a new port based on the NESiCA version. Do you know if the NESiCA version runs in higher resolutions, by chance?

Raptomex

Yeah, this seems very random. But I'm not complaining. Bought.

Teknoman

I cant find it on the actual Steam app.

Says the release date is the 25th? Eh guess i'll just stick with the PS2 version.

Top Bottom