• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

BOTEC

Raiden certainly seems to be a popular topic these days. What better way to celebrate than with a knocko... erm, homage.

pnHgNtT.jpg

Too bad Warashi never made anything after Trigger Heart Exelica. All their stuff was solid.

SerTapTap

Something called Super Chain Crusher Horizon is up on Steam/Greenman/Playism. It looks nutso, anyone have any impressions? It looks like somebody really likes multi-screen Darius.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262920

I meant to Let's Play that for shits and giggles. I'm not sure Camtasia will even let me edit a multi-monitor-wide game though. I mostly wanted to see how well/poorly youtube would handle it. Don't know much about it beyond the gimmick though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Raiden IV Overkill is on sale on EU PSN, too--9.99EUR, ie half price.

Something called Super Chain Crusher Horizon is up on Steam/Greenman/Playism. It looks nutso, anyone have any impressions? It looks like somebody really likes multi-screen Darius.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262920

I still haven't played this, but just for reference, the developer of this game was behind the awesome Mega Drive version of Slap Fight, among other non-STG things.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Raiden certainly seems to be a popular topic these days. What better way to celebrate than with a knocko... erm, homage.

pnHgNtT.jpg

Too bad Warashi never made anything after Trigger Heart Exelica. All their stuff was solid.
Shienryu is quite the looker.

BOTEC

for some reason I thought it was called shooter: subtitle but I see that's another game

Shooter: Starfighter Sanvein? That game was funky. I don't actually think the "Shooter" part was meant to be part of the name, it was just Agetec's shit cover design.

There was another game released as part of that same budget line that was absolute garbage. The name completely escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it was published by D3 originally.

Edit: This is it.

http://agetec.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=85

http://www.d3p.co.jp/cs/simple/s_15/s15_035.html

The CG cinematics are some real winners.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I got my NTSC-J X360 and the power supply died within the hour. Yay me!

Slermy

pnHgNtT.jpg

Hrm... this is a new one to me. Is it pretty good then?

EDIT: Wait, this is a port of Shienryu? Weird. Is the "extra" game any good? Videos don't look so hot.

Is KOF Sky Stage any good? There's a SNK Game Sale on Xbox Live (and I presume PSN) for their 20th Anniversay.

Eh, I didn't really care for it. I found the screen kind of messy/busy with their item designs. Really just made me want to play Shikigami no Shiro.

SerTapTap

I had a DOA supply come with my JP 360 also. Got NA Microsoft support to replace it.

They might charge if it's out of warranty, but NA Microsoft will help you with JP consoles. I ALMOST had to pay them to repair my JP 360 before I got the disk tray back in right. Man I hate ejecting disk trays.

Might want to make sure how much they'll change before you work with 'em though, might be cheaper just to buy an offical power supply if you can.

BOTEC

Hrm... this is a new one to me. Is it pretty good then?

EDIT: Wait, this is a port of Shienryu? Weird. Is the "extra" game any good? Videos don't look so hot.

Eh, I didn't really care for it. I found the screen kind of messy/busy with their item designs. Really just made me want to play Shikigami no Shiro.

It's a double pack of Shienryu and the sequel, Shienryu Explosion (or whatever it's called). It's half way decent. Rumor is that it was a prototype Warashi never released, and I can believe that. It certainly looks, sounds, and plays like it. That said, it's got some interesting ideas. There are three levels of shot, weak and wide, medium and more concentrated, and strong and straight ahead. Each attack level causes the ship to change speed, weak being fastest, and strong the slowest. Scoring seems to be based around collecting medals which don't magnetize to the ship, so you need to fly around to catch 'em all. There is a bunch of characters to pick from, and I believe the only difference (besides the fugly artwork) is their bomb. I haven't tried them all yet, or used many bombs because the game is pretty easy and enemy patterns aren't to tough to get through. That said, I think that with a little bit more time in the oven, this could have been a pretty cool game.

Edit: Speaking of Shikigami, it just got ported to iOS. Looks rather polished.

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/shi-shenno-cheng-ios/id905915259?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

I've been firing up that Dangun Feveron. Not many games scratch that itch. Shame it never got that XBLA port that was rumored, that would have been nifty. I wonder if we'll ever see that code in another form someday.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I had a DOA supply come with my JP 360 also. Got NA Microsoft support to replace it.

Well after one more day of use the console started started booting up with a red light sometimes. Not quite a RROD but close enough. Such disappointment. :(

gunstarhero

I've been firing up that Dangun Feveron. Not many games scratch that itch. Shame it never got that XBLA port that was rumored, that would have been nifty. I wonder if we'll ever see that code in another form someday.

Always wanted to get my hands on the PCB - but the price is pretty steep, and I was afraid wouldn't love it (I'm more of a raising/toaplan fan, less cave).

japtor

Always wanted to get my hands on the PCB - but the price is pretty steep, and I was afraid wouldn't love it (I'm more of a raising/toaplan fan, less cave).
First PCB I got, kinda by chance really. I went to a guy's place to buy his Astro City and he had Dangun in there so I asked how much for it...cause I didn't have anything to play at the time*, and bought it for around $150 I think (this was way back). I already liked the game from playing in MAME but got more appreciation for it on the cab.

Your apprehension about it kinda made me think right now, I'm not sure it's all that much like what people think of with Cave games. Like it trades pattern density for speed and for scoring you have to play kinda crazy (and it has that separate time attack stage!), I'm curious how recognizable it'd be as a Cave game if we didn't already know it

*Well he sold it with Prisoners of War too but I'd have to rotate the screen to play. I think I still have the POW marquee behind my turtle's aquarium (he has managed to make a few escapes though).

Just in case there are people in this thread interested, I've just been asked by an arcade distributor to list 10 candy cabs for sale here. Here is my post in Buy/Sell for more details:

I've been asked to list these here in case there are people interested.

An arcade distributor I work with has 10 New Net City candy cabinets that need to be sold ASAP. They are $700 each including shipping from Japan and customs, but the buyer is responsible for domestic delivery. All machines are located near Sacramento, California, and the buyer can either pick up or opt for shipping. They are all in good, working order but the type of panel that will be included cannot be guaranteed other than that they are not mahjong panels. Some have genuine NNC panels, others are using Net City panels.

Sh2WANE.jpg

More images here.

gunstarhero

Your apprehension about it kinda made me think right now, I'm not sure it's all that much like what people think of with Cave games. Like it trades pattern density for speed and for scoring you have to play kinda crazy (and it has that separate time attack stage!), I'm curious how recognizable it'd be as a Cave game if we didn't already know it

Oh - now that sounds like a game I would really like! (I dont hate Cave games at all, but enjoy bullet hell a little less compared to other shooters).

Will have to check it out someday -

SerTapTap

Any news on Nano Assault Neo-X for PS4 ? I thought it is meant to be released late this year.

"This year" is the last I've heard, though they're rapidly running out of time. Enjoyable game, though I'll be interested to see how well Geo Wars 3 handles the 3D sections, as Neo's highly irregular 3D maps could be a real pain due to occasionally odd camera angles. Not a fatal flaw, but more noticeable than it should have been (I played the wii u version, but assume the PS4 one is mostly just a graphical upgrade).

Tizoc

Despite being a simple port I enjoyed Raiden III.
Gonna grab Shienryu off US PSN but man 400 MB...

Could someone repost impressions of it please?

BOTEC

Amazon sez Sakrura Flamingo Archives is dropping 11/27. I don't remember if that was the same date they accidentally announced and then redacted. Either way, incredible mediocrity is approaching fast.

Shienryu is cool. We call it a Raiden rip-off, but it's only similar because they're both old school games (Raiden was 1990, Shienryu was 1993). You fly around, blow up space tanks and floaty gun things, collect the LED's(?) that they drop, pick up colored weapon powerups, repeat. It has a lot of nice sprite work and the weapons have cool visial effects, and everything blows up real good.

And to wrap it all up, Cho Ren Sha 68k is getting a new OST release on 10/31. Never tried this one, perhaps I'll download and have a look.

shaowebb

Amazon sez Sakrura Flamingo Archives is dropping 11/27. I don't remember if that was the same date they accidentally announced and then redacted. Either way, incredible mediocrity is approaching fast.

Shienryu is cool. We call it a Raiden rip-off, but it's only similar because they're both old school games (Raiden was 1990, Shienryu was 1993). You fly around, blow up space tanks and floaty gun things, collect the LED's(?) that they drop, pick up colored weapon powerups, repeat. It has a lot of nice sprite work and the weapons have cool visial effects, and everything blows up real good.

And to wrap it all up, Cho Ren Sha 68k is getting a new OST release on 10/31. Never tried this one, perhaps I'll download and have a look.

New Cho Ren Sha 68k OST release this month :O
I just now discovered this through a facebook group and now you tell me this. Good times for me.

AmyS

"This year" is the last I've heard, though they're rapidly running out of time. Enjoyable game, though I'll be interested to see how well Geo Wars 3 handles the 3D sections, as Neo's highly irregular 3D maps could be a real pain due to occasionally odd camera angles. Not a fatal flaw, but more noticeable than it should have been (I played the wii u version, but assume the PS4 one is mostly just a graphical upgrade).

Haven't played the Wii U version of Nano or either of the 3DS releases. I know I played Iridion 3D and Iridion II on GBA. Most recent Shin'en game I played was the first Nanostray on DS so I have to catch up with Nanostray II and Nano Assault EX before the PS4 game releases.

Just in case there are people in this thread interested, I've just been asked by an arcade distributor to list 10 candy cabs for sale here. Here is my post in Buy/Sell for more details:

You're in my neck of the woods. Do you ever attend any local (Sac/Vac/SanJo/SF) shmupmeets?

ChoRenSha was the game that introduced me to homebrew shmups way back in 2001 when I first played it on my old Win '98 model 3.2 GB HP desktop PC, memories. I'm probably going to get the soundtrack CD.

Tain

Yeah, that game was definitely a bit of a revelation for me in high school, and it's still one of the best doujin STGs I've played. I get pretty nostalgic over the music in it.

Top Bottom