• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Super Star Soldier on PSP is so addicting and good, but can someone post the recommended weapon for each stage?

Nope, just difficulty setting, how many lives you want per 'Coin' and button config.

Can you use a cheat device to enable tate like raiden project?

Yes Boss!

Can you use a cheat device to enable tate like raiden project?

It has a full tate mode. Plays really well, too. So long ad you are used to the somewhat awkward way of controlling. That hump only takes about an hour to get over. I'm speaking of the remake release (polygons) that is a bit like the GCN release.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
When it comes to doujin shooters, Crimzon Clover is in such a league of its own. It's the only one that has gotten me legitimately Cave-level excited. But hearing that it took eight years to make kinda wrecked my hopes of seeing more games like that coming from the doujin scene. It's such a wonderful game, but to get quality like that out of a super small team (or was it literally a one-man team?) apparently takes one of the very best and surely most dedicated shooting game players on the planet eight years. Man.

There can't be many Clover-TACs out there with eight years to spare.

Do you guys know if he plans to port the game on other platforms?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not that I've heard of.

I'd bet that just about any PC you can find can run it, though.

Oh I know, it's for convenience sake (I'd easily triple dip) and to give the game more recognition.
I wonder why he doesn't do a quick port to the X86 consoles... I hope it's cause he's working on a successor.

tumblr_m7f9c2GpZJ1qa0iqvo1_1280.jpg

#TheStruggle

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Today I've reached the conclusion that Ketsui is unfair-difficult, almost Pink Sweets level. The fact that the center of the ship doesn't "glow" or isn't distinctive from the rest of the ship makes matters so much worse.

SOME-MIST

actually been working on a ketsui clear myself (along with a loop run of progear) and it becomes much easier once you start to learn where the larger enemies spawn beyond stage 3. currently working on getting to stage 5 consistently on 1 credit (and getting that stage 3 1-up from the midboss ship always helps). learn their spawn points and focus them down asap.

it became a bit less intimating when I actually saw it looped in person during the chicago shmupsmeets which is originally what got me interested in dedicating time to the game.

pink sweets on the other hand... and it's 7 stages is way too hard to swallow.

In Crimzon Clover do you wanna always be holding both fire and lock on all the time? I know it slows your ship so is it more of a movement speed button?

Do you guys like to use octogates?

Getting lock-on shots is actually really important to Crimzon Clover's scoring system. Every time you destroy something with the lock shot, you get a multiplier based on how many targets you were locked on to. The multiplier scales up to 12.8x during double break mode. Destroying enemies with a full lock also gives you bonus break generation.

Careful use of lock shots will help you out a lot.

SOME-MIST

I have two LS-56s in my astro city.... one has a square gate and one has an octagonal gate. I personally prefer the octagonal. other shmuppers that I've had over to my place seem to like the square + ls56 combo. I really think it's all personal preference.

japtor

Today I've reached the conclusion that Ketsui is unfair-difficult, almost Pink Sweets level. The fact that the center of the ship doesn't "glow" or isn't distinctive from the rest of the ship makes matters so much worse.
It's the cockpit or thereabouts. I've never had a problem with it, but that might be because the hit box marker was a later thing iirc (at least with Cave). Plus the ship/bullet hit boxes seem tiny as hell, along with patterns aren't as crazy dense as some of their other games. Not that it doesn't get dense, but I guess I'd say the difficulty is more in the speed and/or complexity of the patterns.
actually been working on a ketsui clear myself (along with a loop run of progear) and it becomes much easier once you start to learn where the larger enemies spawn beyond stage 3. currently working on getting to stage 5 consistently on 1 credit (and getting that stage 3 1-up from the midboss ship always helps). learn their spawn points and focus them down asap.

it became a bit less intimating when I actually saw it looped in person during the chicago shmupsmeets which is originally what got me interested in dedicating time to the game.

pink sweets on the other hand... and it's 7 stages is way too hard to swallow.
1-4 isn't too bad, and yeah as far as survival stage 4 becomes a lot easier when you know the enemy placements. I'd also suggest identifying particularly hard parts as possible bomb points, not necessarily to bomb every time but just to be prepared if things don't go to plan. Like the last part with two big ass helicopters.

Stage 5 is just a massive bitch though. I've seen it done well at meets but the few times I've cleared it's just been crazy reactive dodging.
Use what you prefer. If you're not sure it's a few bucks to try a gate, or whatever other mods (like spring or actuator).

Ulthwe

I went to Retrobarcelona yesterday and look what they brought there:

mnh3jBm.jpg

I almost had a heart attack, it was stuck in one of the convention's corners, seemingly unattended. First time I've played it on an arcade cabinet, what a blast!

Getting lock-on shots is actually really important to Crimzon Clover's scoring system. Every time you destroy something with the lock shot, you get a multiplier based on how many targets you were locked on to. The multiplier scales up to 12.8x during double break mode. Destroying enemies with a full lock also gives you bonus break generation.

Careful use of lock shots will help you out a lot.

yea i was thinking that maybe you have to watch for the lock on multiplier at the bottom all the time.

Yes Boss!

Sakura Flamingo is in stock and preorders are being fulfilled at amiami. Pretty stoked about this release after the two mediocre 3DS ports from klon.

SOME-MIST

kinda want it but already own the milestone 2 collection. besides being able to use my 360 sticks, what makes this one different?

also, please post your impressions when you get it ;)

SOME-MIST

Why is there so much love for Crimson Clover? It feels like a very generic (and ugly) shmup to me.

If you play for score (or even for a 1CC) it plays a lot like ketsui (lock on shot/proximity multiplier) which is what I love.

many of the best competitive shmups are by people who are actually good at the genre... (i.e. yagawa) and crimzon clover is no exception. crimzon clover was created by yotsubane (by himself) over the course of 5 years while he was going to school and it's a love letter to the genre that he's so fond of. if you look at scores arcadia (official shooting game high scores), you'll see him on there as clover-tac, world record holder for esp ra.de. He's also a superplayer that playtests shmups for other companies (like dodonpachi daioujou for PS2) and he has some really interesting interviews (like his one with famitsu)...if you're interested in checking 'em out. it's made by him for people who absolutely love the genre like he does.

from a gameplay perspective, you can tell it's created by someone who knows shooting games by the tightness/responsiveness of the controls, the elegant bullet spreads, to the finely tuned difficulty. it's very aesthetically pleasing when you can get some insane break modes going too. probably not for everyone, but by far one of my favorite doujin shmups next to cho ren sha 68k

Yes Boss!

kinda want it but already own the milestone 2 collection. besides being able to use my 360 sticks, what makes this one different?

also, please post your impressions when you get it ;)

I'm just hoping for better image quality than the Wii releases. And sticks and arcade playback. I think it has some mashup stuff...like ability to use different ships across different games or something. Not really sure as there has not been much on the game. I'm just happy it released!

Paid in full!

Hopefully they ship tomorrow. By chance I might get it on Saturday then.

Why is there so much love for Crimson Clover? It feels like a very generic (and ugly) shmup to me.

Really? Pixelated as it is, I think Crimzon Clover's graphics compare very favorably to other indie shmups. Gameplay is where it's at though, and CC has fantastic gameplay. The scoring system is enjoyable and deep, the game has very clear visual feedback for success, there are lots of modes for different player skill levels, the boss fights are memorable and well designed, and so on.

If you haven't played the game before, I strongly recommend at least trying it before writing it off.

Wonko_C

I'm with all the others here: Crimzon Clover didn't look like much to me and at first I didn't like it, but it feels a lot like a Cave shooter once you get into it.

Edit: but what really hooked me in was the Break Mode. Its nothing new (Dodonpachi Resurrection, Danmaku Unlimited 2, etc) but it's so well done here it feels like CC invented it.

shaowebb

Crimzon Clover is amazing. Its got a rhythm to it for scoring, a real challenge, great patterns, great soundtrack and a real sense of reward to it. If I screw up I always feel like it was me and not the game. It puts emphasis on good old fashion dodging, and akin to Dodonpachi setting up your spots to try for Double Break Mode score rushes.

In other words its not about splashing the screen in crazy CG , Voxels explosions, or Particle emitter flashiness. Its about solid gameplay above all else and is a tribute to the best of the best arcade shmups ever made.

Getting into this game is like finally saying you actually get shmups.

Yes Boss!

Yowza. Thank goodness for the relatively accessible NA version. Definitely at the very very top of all the dozens of 360 shooters. What a title.

Zeth

Finally going to play Astebreed and Crimson Clover this weekend. Does Astebreed benefit from playing with a regular 360 controller or is an arcade stick ideal?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Crimzon Clover's finally coming out on GOG this week (December 4th.) So if you want that game DRM-free... well, that'll be your chance.

Wonko_C

Finally going to play Astebreed and Crimson Clover this weekend. Does Astebreed benefit from playing with a regular 360 controller or is an arcade stick ideal?

I'd say Astebreed works best with a regular controller, it even has analog movement. But it can be played with an arcade stick just fine.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Full color manual and disc art too. Quite a nice late release! And has english writing on the spine. Cool little inexpensive release. Not sure about the actual games, though.
Reading the impressions from the shmups forum, apparently the collection is crap. No tate mode alone makes it a complete disaster for me. Sorry for raining in your parade but I also preordered so I'm stuck with it too. :(

Yes Boss!

Reading the impressions from the shmups forum, apparently the collection is crap. No tate mode alone makes it a complete disaster for me. Sorry for raining in your parade but I also preordered so I'm stuck with it too. :(

No parade being rained on. It would have been nice but I'll just play this on a standard HDTV. I've got all kinds of displays and can be flexible. I'm about ready to put it in and check it out finally!

Yes Boss!

I love Radio Allergy, so I can vouch for that.

I really do think I'm gonna like this set. The one that will get me finally playing the Milestone games. Super excited. Been waiting months for this release!

And hooked it up. I'm loving the quality...way better than the smeary Wii sets. Super arcadey. Better that it is all 4:3 since some of the games are in that format...and the wallpapers are very sweet. Great addition to the 360 shooter library!

B133C305-312C-4BB8-B976-AD4B9197B194_zpso6ifuw4v.jpg

BOTEC

I suppose the joke is on us for expecting even basic competency from the inheritor of Milestone's legacy. The perfect ending to that sorry story.

Yes Boss!

I suppose the joke is on us for expecting even basic competency from the inheritor of Milestone's legacy. The perfect ending to that sorry story.

It is pretty damn competent. Just saying. Nice set. Far better than the janky Wii releases. I'm guessing on par with the DC titles. Beautiful set. Stoked as all hell with it. The joke are the 3DS minis from earlier this year.

Top Bottom