• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Aizo

Banned
#TheStruggle

Yayyy! I found a decently priced copy today.
pNw8lWV.jpg

Then I turned my TV sideways for a couple hours hahaha. I can't leave it like this, though (earthquakes...). I really love this game already. Ultra mode is quite scary!
zhNVjpL.jpg

Yes Boss!

I play that one on my Vita quite a bit. Certainly a fun version on Xevious. Well worth checking out...especially if you like the franchise.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I wish Caladrius Blaze would come to the US. I really want it, but $60 is a bit pricey for me right now.

That said, thinking about Raiden IV while it's on sale for $10. Only thing that gives me a bit of pause is the screen size. My TV isn't that big, so the small-ish play area is kinda a bummer (and believe me, if I could rotate my TV for tate mode, I would).

Yes Boss!

Man, I wish Caladrius Blaze would come to the US. I really want it, but $60 is a bit pricey for me right now.

That said, thinking about Raiden IV while it's on sale for $10. Only thing that gives me a bit of pause is the screen size. My TV isn't that big, so the small-ish play area is kinda a bummer (and believe me, if I could rotate my TV for tate mode, I would).

I'm sure it will pop up all of a sudden (Caladrius PS3). The norm is that most of these things make it...just all of a sudden...out of the blue.

Exceptional title, btw.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm sure it will pop up all of a sudden (Caladrius PS3). The norm is that most of these things make it...just all of a sudden...out of the blue.

Exceptional title, btw.

Yeah, it looks really, really good. I assume it'll be UFO bringing it over, if it does happen.

Also, going back to Mamorukun Curse! after quite some time away. I'd forgotten how good this game is. And also how much I hate the castle stage. You wander into the room with the rolling balls, you're pretty much fucked. :lol

EDIT: If I want UFO to bring more shmups over, I should probably support them as much as possible. Raiden IV bought.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

That's where I should've spent the money that I put on SFA, oh well maybe next year. :(

You wander into the room with the rolling balls, you're pretty much fucked. :lol

That room is a bit of a nightmare lol. Note if you just throw the curse circle (i.e. not the charged shot), you can cut through some of the tougher spots where it seems like you have to get hit.

The other alternative is the room on the left, which I actually wound up using when going for high-score runs. It's hard to learn, but there is a life item in it towards the end. And you can chain it for a lot of points if you get really good at it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That room is a bit of a nightmare lol. Note if you just throw the curse circle (i.e. not the charged shot), you can cut through some of the tougher spots where it seems like you have to get hit.

The other alternative is the room on the left, which I actually wound up using when going for high-score runs. It's hard to learn, but there is a life item in it towards the end. And you can chain it for a lot of points if you get really good at it.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Also, yeah Raiden IV is amazing. So glad I bought this. :D

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Today I learned Shienryu is available for Vita via transfer through PS3. Anyone have any impressions on that port?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Today I learned Shienryu is available for Vita via transfer through PS3. Anyone have any impressions on that port?

I actually used to have the US PS1 release of this waaaaaay back in like 2002/2003 (it was released here under the name Gekioh: Shooting King for some reason). It's been a really long time since I played it, but from what I remember it was pretty good.

And it's funny, looking at videos of Shienryu now after spending the last several days playing Raiden IV, all I can think is "man, this game looks EASY". :lol EDIT: I take that back. Looking at the later levels of the game, hooooly shit.

Oh, one thing to note about Shienryu: There's no high-score saving. The game didn't use the memory card at all, from what I remember. Really weird decision.

Caladrius Blaze is amazing. i couldn't stop playing until i got everything at 100%. well worth the higher import price. good customization options keep the game fresh.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Caladrius Blaze is amazing. i couldn't stop playing until i got everything at 100%. well worth the higher import price. good customization options keep the game fresh.

After sitting down and watching a full playthrough of it, yeah...SERIOUSLY considering importing now. Holy shit I need this game.

Yes Boss!

My ten in order of best to least best:

Raiden Fighters Aces
Mushihimesama
Mushi Futari
Dodonpachi Maximum (iOS)
Judgment Silversword
Espgaluda II
Crimzon Clover (PC)
Ketsui
Mamoru-kun
Pink Sweets

Honorable Wii mention: Gradius Rebirth

SOME-MIST

May ask for everyone's top 10 shmups from last generation (Wii/360/PS3)?

1. ketsui
2. mushihimesama futari
3. mushihimesama HD
4. muchi muchi pork/pink sweets
5. crimzon clover
6. eschatos
7. raiden fighters aces
8. akai katana shin
9. caladrius
10. guwange

also voted in that shmups thread system11 posted and I mostly agree with the rankings.

Aizo

Banned
This kinda confirms that I should have bought Ketsui or Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets last night at the store, instead of DoDonPachi Resurrection. It was just the cheapest one ;___;

gunstarhero

May ask for everyone's top 10 shmups from last generation (Wii/360/PS3)?

Akai Katana Shin (X360)
Mushihimesama Futari (X360)
Ginga Force (X360)
DDP Resurrection (X360)
Muchi Muchi Pork (X360)
Mamoru-kun (PS3)
Eschatos (X360)
ESPGaluda II (X360)
Recca Summer Carnival 92' (3DS)
Strania (XBLA)

Tizoc

Shienryu Explosion is also on EU PSN but is 50 Hz, though we don't know if it is Optimized.
It is titled Steel Dragon EX and should be on sale at least til Wednesday.

What a year for shmups on the NA 360. Finally get Under Defeat for $20 while the PS3 version goes for $3; can't play Raiden IV Overkill; can't play either version of Caladrius.

I'll just be over here waiting for another sale on Bullet Soul.

Yes Boss!

What a year for shmups on the NA 360. Finally get Under Defeat for $20 while the PS3 version goes for $3; can't play Raiden IV Overkill; can't play either version of Caladrius.

I'll just be over here waiting for another sale on Bullet Soul.

We just got a new retail 360 release...like the 45th. What, no love for PS3 finally getting some love after all these years?

I would not expect any more shooters to show up on NA 360.

grendelrt

Yeah its even still on the sale summary page, its the only game that has a changed price. Well that sucks, never played it and wanted to give it a shot.

Ramune

JUST saw the email from Play-Asia on Cladrius Blaze for $15. Clicked the link and....$45?!
Definitely a case of early bird getting the worm!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shit, really glad I got in on the Caladrius deal before it sold out. And yeah, if you look at the P-A front page, there's a big SOLD banner over Caladrius on the "Weekly Specials" banner. Bummer for those who actually wanted to play the game and not just resell a bunch of copies. =/

baphomet

I really wish Crimzon Clover Ignite would get ported somewhere. I hate gaming on my PC, but that game is super fun.

Top Bottom