• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired from Insomniac?? Maybe? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sun has set on the hype, I'm afraid.

Has it really? I'm genuinely curious because this game does nothing for me and I've been trying to understand the immense hype I've seen here. I stopped paying attention after a while so I'm really curious to know if this is true or was a joke.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
QUOTING FOR DARK THEME!!

By the way, this is now officially the longest Sunset Overdrive thread of the year. Sorry Insomniac.

Not even close.

EDIT: Dammit Mass Effect!

JC Lately

Also I had to google Sunset Overdrive. Stopped reading when the wiki article for it at "third person shooter". Is there even a reason Sony woukd care about another one of those enough to intentionally rip off the font? I guess Bayonetta 1 being on sale this week means they feel threatened by Bayo 2 being in Wii U, by this logic huh?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder sometimes with engines and so forth. I know animators have to make sure their own textures are copyrighted and so forth. This just seems like someone was scrolling through the fonts and picked one.

The stuff out there for grabs is possibly regular typography fonts and so forth. They aren't necessarily someone's property unless they make it so.

I remember using 3DS Max and using their foliage trees in my project. I just credited the program. When they steal your work that's when it gets messy. Them getting on there with social media is against their lawyers wishes IMO. They'd settle that in court. That's pretty serious stuff right there.

BokehKing

Banned
We going to act like Destiny Cologne did not happen? Who cares about a font? It's just a video game sale, I would have never put the two and two together with out this thread. sunset is not some phenomenon where the font is like "Oh wow... That's insomniacs font"

Seems to me that whoever is in charge of social media for the Sunset Overdrive crew is just having a bit of friendly fun. Not sure what all the hubub is about.

Because these corporations are mortal enemies. Everything has to be personal between the companies.

There's no one that would shame themselves by working for both companies or enjoying games from the other.

Can't wait for
hQa9tS.jpg

mdubs

Banned
Anyone who thinks this wasn't intentional is deluding themselves. That said, there really isn't anything wrong with this.

Has it really? I'm genuinely curious because this game does nothing for me and I've been trying to understand the immense hype I've seen here. I stopped paying attention after a while so I'm really curious to know if this is true or was a joke.
Outside of gaf there's not much hype.

But really, I just wanted to make that pun.

artsi

Well the font choice is bad, but doesn't affect my views on Sony. Just some designer fooling around.

VanWinkle

Also I had to google Sunset Overdrive. Stopped reading when the wiki article for it at "third person shooter". Is there even a reason Sony woukd care about another one of those enough to intentionally rip off the font? I guess Bayonetta 1 being on sale this week means they feel threatened by Bayo 2 being in Wii U, by this logic huh?

If you had to Google Sunset Overdrive then you must not follow gaming at all.

Sony probably did free marketing for Microsoft since it's a game not on their system. Not sure about all the doom and gloom over a f'n font. The web designer probably didn't know anyway...

T.O.P

Banned

what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about-gif.gif

JP

Not sure this means anything for either Insomniac or Sony really.

Has anybody made a joke about how much better the font looks in 1080p yet?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
From what I see, Insomniac said thanks for using Overdrive Sunset font.....

Did they tweet that they couldn't use it?!?!

The actual font they used is called "overdrive sunset"
Every major media thing with a unique font inevitably has someone make a free knockoff of it. It in no way implies that the original producer of the logo is involved with that act and wants everyone to have it for free.

Using those types of fonts is fine for private use, but it's pretty gauche for the graphic deseign team at a major company to be trawling dafont for their work. Fontmaking's a business, any major company should have a broad slate of legitimately licensed and paid-for fonts to use, and be willing to seek out new ones along those terms if nothing they have floats their boat.

Gestault

This situation is either a fun reference or a short-order design misstep, but I cringe at people who don't understand that some brands use pre-existing fonts, and others create a distinct logo, which can then have fonts built off it as reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom