• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired from Insomniac?? Maybe? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read through too many posts to not find the answer: was the font readily available before Sunset Overdrive used it, or was it made free by the developers after it had been created/used [by them]?
The font file online was made by a fan based on our ORIGINAL logo for Sunset Overdrive w/ our blessing.

The font is even named "Overdrive Sunset font."

So yeah, it's all based on our creation and part of our universe, even if we allowed it to be used openly so fans have access to it.

Do you know who jstevenson is?

Kayant

Why would they do that? Sony this is too obvious to not be on purpose. Someone's hurting

200.gif

Never change ....

dubq

Doubt Insomniac cares, just free promotion for SO, Sony messed up only because they just helped MS push more units.

I don't even see how it could be considered "promotion." Who pays attention to some random games font? I didn't even know about this game until this thread was started.

balohna

So the Sunset Overdrive logo is just the name of the game written in a specific font? I assumed someone drew it.

Still lame of Sony to also use it, but whatever.

EDIT: Oh, I see it was a font made based on Sunset Overdrive. Never mind then, Sony goofed. I don't think anything illegal happened, but it's still lame.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Hurting for what? I don't even, I'm really confused how a font has become PS4 is on some mythical downward spiral now. I'm so confused ;_;

That Sony lost one of their biggest publishers they've used for years. they have a terrible winter line up compared to the competition in a lot of people's opinions, when it comes to first party. They passed on sunset overdrive because they wanted to own the ip. It's so obviously Sunsets font it's in the name of the font. They even use zany artwork. It's like they are trying to associate themselves sub consciously with sunset overdrive marketing.

I don't believe fir a second they didn't know they were using it. There's deffo some motive behind it. At least insomniacs tweet was classic

Psst. I think Insomniac is using this as a bit of free publicity. Though who can blame them, its a brilliant move that costs them absolutely nothing.

That Sony lost one of their biggest publishers they've used for years. they have a terrible winter line up compared to the competition in a lot of people's opinions, when it comes to first party. They passed on sunset overdrive because they wanted to own the ip. It's so obviously Sunsets font it's in the name of the font. They even use zany artwork. It's like they are trying to associate themselves sub consciously with sunset overdrive marketing.
They haven't lost them, Insomniac still works with Sony. They even have a film coming out together.

Seriously guys, a 13 page thread about a font? This is why reddit mocks us...

A lot of you are looking way too deeply into this. It was obviously intentional, but it was a parody, happens all the time. In fact, it was a pretty fun exhange between the two, I'd say.

Edit: But how many people here aren't trolling? Hmmmmm

Hey, this SunsetOvedrive thread hit 10+ pages!

Doesnt that make it one of the biggest SO threads lately? :v

And using font is not really that bad considering Microsot showed Killzone as their game and even Nintendo marketed PSVita. I dont think this thread is gonna stop thou :p

Shin-Ra

Why would they do that? Sony this is too obvious to not be on purpose. Someone's hurting
They are indeed.

One month us nothing in the grand scheme of things tho. The game is mediocre. Simple as. It was bound to sell hang busters from the marketing alone.
I can only imagine meltdowns on here if it was true. It's been said fir ages that Sony would flatten the competition in September. They paid all that money for that exclusive destiny hype. It would be bad if they did get outsold

Memorabilia excellent post. My sentiments to a t as well.

I don't believe fir a second they didn't know they were using it. There's deffo some motive behind it. At least insomniacs tweet was classic

mjlol.png

Zia

Disgusting and disrespectful toward the company that helped them to put out genre-defining work such as Resistance and Ratchet & Clanks. They're obviously distressed that they've been tied down to the losing team of the Console War but hopefully they issue a formal apology.

I don't even see how it could be considered "promotion." Who pays attention to some random games font? I didn't even know about this game until this thread was started.

"Hmmm... gonna check out this Halloween sale on the PSN! Looking forward to the deals!"

"Wait... WHOA... this fucking font! Totally awesome, dude. I wonder..."

"Hold up. I just checked The Internet. This font is from an Xbox game called Sunset Overdrive? DAYUM! Gonna buy that now!"

Yeah... not quite sure if that's how this is going to work or...

rothbart

So the Sunset Overdrive logo is just the name of the game written in a specific font? I assumed someone drew it.

I believe that font existed before time itself. Nobody "drew" that font. The idea of written language and eventually the notion of different fonts formed around the Sunset Overdrive logo's very existence.

Jaxx

Banned
For a game that isn't even out yet and whose long term viability has yet to be proven.

Ok.

So if you design your own font for your own product and someone steals it, it's only a problem if that product has first become a success? So what else is it ok to steal from unsuccessful people?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Disgusting and disrespectful toward the company that helped them to put out genre-defining work such as Resistance and Ratchet & Clanks. They're obviously distressed that they've been tied down to the losing team of the Console War but hopefully they issue a formal apology.

I can't even tell what is sarcasm here anymore.

Sunset Overdrive uses subtly different strokes if a letter returns. Sony has all the same letters being the same. That is a graphic design no-no for a grunge font.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
They are indeed.

Edited

It's all love from me. I love gaming. I play games like octodad on my ps4 until some real groundbreaking exclusives come out on it. Bloodborne and Uncharted says waddup. Until then I'll throw some stick around to anyone who deserves it. Ms messed up but they've come a long leaps and bounds :D

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Sunset Overdrive uses subtly different strokes if a letter returns. Sony has all the same letters being the same. That is a graphic design no-no for a grunge font.

That's because Insomniac didn't use a "font", their logo is drawn. Someone then created a font in that style (with Insomniac's blessing apparently) so obviously each letter will be identical.

This is already longer than any Sunset Overdrive discussion in Gaming.

Not really.

Flintty

Wow, this thread. Them posts.
People shouldn't get too wound up about this (on both sides!). It happened, it's funny, lets not turn this into a hate/console war thread :(

Sintoid

Ok Sony used same font as Insomniac for Sunset Overdrive logo... but that means that Insomniac used a standard font for Sunset Overdrive logo?

That's a quite cheap thing...

I can't believe this. Sony should be ashamed of themselves. :::heads to Gamestop to trade in PS4:::

j/k its only a font, relax.

B.O.O.M

I adore people like you. Do you think I'm ashamed to admit I prefer the Xbox One pc and wii u to my ps4. The ps4 hasn't been the console that's impressed me this year, sorry if that upsets you lol. I couldn't even imagine going through someone's post history Lmao. The ps4 is selling like pop music and Kim kardashian. Doesn't make it the groundbreaking piece of kit people seem to think it is on here. I hardly touch mine. This thread is about them using subset overdrive font. I just knew how easy it would be fir a few comments to get to people in here :D

It's all love from me. I love gaming. I play games like octodad on my ps4 until some real groundbreaking exclusives come out on it. Bloodborne and Uncharted says waddup. Until then I'll throw some stick around to anyone who deserves it. Ms messed up but they've come a long leaps and bounds :D

wait a sec

you were actually seriously with your posts in this thread? 0_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom