• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired: Miyamoto's favorite Mario game is...

LosDaddie

Banned
meh....I played the heck out of SMW when it came out (got the SNES and the game on that launch holiday back in the day), but NSMB Wii was really amazing too.

Brera

Banned
NSMB didn't click with me at all.

It felt too generic and had no personality. I'd like to give it another go at some stage but it left me cold.

If they release NSMW Wii then line me up!

Teknoman

careksims said:
Boo Yah! Love SMW too! I remember the days when it was first demoed in stores and getting it for Christmas. Good times indeed :D

So awesome. Looking at that first world with the big blue hills, giant Bullet Bill (Banzai Bill?), and the Rex guys running around was amazing. Combined two of my favorite things as a kid: Mario games and dinosaurs :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
badcrumble said:
He's only saying that because Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game (but it's better than all of the Mario games).
I only came into this thread to make sure this point was made. Good job.

cartman414 said:
I think that's a bit much.

Re-edited as soon as I read your post more carefully. Mario 3 was out in 1988, well before saves were a cart feature in Japan if I'm correct. Granted though, a password function would have helped.

At least there are the warp whistles though. That's how we all did it back in the day.

Touche. It's kind of like what SMBDX did, only the latter had a compressed vantage point.

Looking into it a bit more, Zelda was released in 1988 in the US. They could have included a battery save if they wanted.

You know, when talking about broken things, what was up with the US version of Excite Bike still having the save and load options, only to freeze the game?

Requeim

seady said:
For 2D Mario games, SMW definitely has the most personality. Even more so than Yoshi's Island I think.

Of all the good things to say about SMW, i think this one is very wrong. In comparison to SMB3 or SMW2 it just lacks personality i think.

I don't know, it feels a bit soulless when i play through it.

Acosta

100% agree.

Sometimes I have the feeling people putting New Super Mario Bros over Super Mario World didn't play it in its time or don't remember it. The game was vibrant, full of content, with lots of neat touches, secret routes, a big world, a brilliant and varied visual design, lovely music, the introduction of Yoshi... I guess those people just care about the platforming design (no doubt, New Super Mario Bros is very good at that), but for me that was only a part of the equation. A truly great Mario is much more than its design and mechanics.

And for us, NES boys, going from SMB 3 to Super Mario World was one of the most brutal and spectacular changes of generation ever, it was like alien stuff brought from the future. I guess people who didn't experience it like that can't see it.

fisheyes

badcrumble said:
He's only saying that because Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game (but it's better than all of the Mario games).

Came to say this. With Yoshi's Island excluded, World is indeed the correct answer.

bon

I, unsurprisingly, agree with Miyamoto.

Best controls, best power ups, best obstacles, best stage design, best Yoshis.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Acosta said:
100% agree.

Sometimes I have the feeling people putting New Super Mario Bros over Super Mario World didn't play it in its time or don't remember it. The game was vibrant, full of content, with lots of neat touches, secret routes, a big world, a brilliant and varied visual design, lovely music, the introduction of Yoshi... I guess those people just care about the platforming design (no doubt, New Super Mario Bros is very good at that), but for me that was only a part of the equation. A truly great Mario is much more than its design and mechanics.

And for us, NES boys, going from SMB 3 to Super Mario World was one of the most brutal and spectacular changes of generation ever, it was like alien stuff brought from the future. I guess people who didn't experience it like that can't see it.
I've already mentioned why I think the NES games are superior gameplay-wise, but regarding aesthetics specifically, I never found SMW to look or sound particularly impressive compared to its direct competition (Sonic 1).

Red

Sixfortyfive said:
I've already mentioned why I think the NES games are superior gameplay-wise, but regarding aesthetics specifically, I never found SMW to look or sound particularly impressive compared to its direct competition (Sonic 1).
I would agree that at the time Sonic 1 was more impressive, but I think SMW has aged far better.

Willy105 said:
But they weren't as fun.

What weren't as fun? The worlds in 3 or world?

SlipperySlope said:
Looking into it a bit more, Zelda was released in 1988 in the US. They could have included a battery save if they wanted.

Zelda 1 was released in summer of '87. (The sequel was released in Dec. '88.) I think what I'm trying to say is that battery saves were uncommon at the time, and may have been seen as an extra cost, not to mention one not associated with platformers at the time.

Acosta said:
100% agree.

Personally I felt it was going too far in the direction of exploration, something which Mario's mechanics aren't nearly as well-suited for. And Mario 3 had a better sense of art design.

Elixist

Anticitizen One said:
to me Super Mario 64 will always be the best. It was so groundbreaking.
indeed seconded. I always loved the other marios but 64 blew me away on every level, graphics, controls, design, creativity an amazing fucking game.

Pre

Up until recently I was a diehard fan of SMB3, but I've come around to World. Better art, locales, boss fights, and more interesting world map. Add in Yoshi and badass showdown with Bowser and you've got a winner.

Crunched said:
I would agree that at the time Sonic 1 was more impressive, but I think SMW has aged far better.
I think Sonic 1 has aged better than people give it credit for, but I'm also a Sonic fanboy. I'll give that levels like Marble and Labyrinth aren't very fun, but Starlight is such a blast to play through.

ntropy

the levels in smw were pretty bland. smb3 outdoes smw in this regard. smb3 also had better powerups, tanooki suit, the fucking GREEN SOCK.

Red

ntropy said:
the levels in smw were pretty bland. smb3 outdoes smw in this regard. smb3 also had better powerups, tanooki suit, the fucking GREEN SOCK.
For however bland they may appear, the levels in SMW are the ones I immediately imagine when I think "Mario." It's not even set in the Mushroom Kingdom, but everything about it looked and sounded so right that it essentially set the series' aesthetic standard in my mind.

Acosta said:

Nah, I wasn't blown away by the jump from SMB3 to World in any sense of the word. Not that I wasn't keen on the game or anything, but it didn't seem like a generation jump compared to SMB3. I was flabergasted when I first layed eyes on Mario 3. Sonic had the same effect, which happened again with Doom, then Daytona.

Mojo said:
Sweet, Mario World is indeed the better game. Suck it SMB3 lovers

Says the guy with a space marine avatar.

Willy105 said:
Bland in what?

There isn't a fraction of the variation present between Mario 3's worlds.

In addition to the platforming challenge, Mario 3 had more variation in the powerups, and a better sense of economy when it came to the most powerful ones. Cape Mario from Mario World, by contrast, was dirt common, and broken on several levels.

Not to mention of course that 1ups were ridiculously easy to accumulate in Mario World.

Sixfortyfive

cartman414 said:
There isn't a fraction of the variation present between Mario 3's worlds.

In addition to the platforming challenge, Mario 3 had more variation in the powerups, and a better sense of economy when it came to the most powerful ones. Cape Mario from Mario World, by contrast, was dirt common, and broken on several levels.

Not to mention of course that 1ups were ridiculously easy to accumulate in Mario World.
Yep. One of the things I really like about NSMB Wii is that, despite having a fair number of new power-ups and abilities for a 2D Mario, the level design is varied and deliberate enough to test your proficiency with each of them. It's also pretty clear early on in a stage as to what specific power-up is the best for that stage (and it will usually be the most common power-up that you'd receive during that stage to boot).

This is something I think Mario World sorely lacks.

TheExodu5

Banned
cartman414 said:
Srsly? Felt generic compared to the worlds of Mario 3.

You can't even replay a single level in Mario 3. That's god awful game design, for a platformer, in my book.

I never replay Mario 3 because I don't want to go through the hassle of going through stages I don't want to play.

Sixfortyfive

TheExodu5 said:
You can't even replay a single level in Mario 3. That's god awful game design, for a platformer, in my book.

I never replay Mario 3 because I don't want to go through the hassle of going through stages I don't want to play.
This is a legit complaint.

It'd be nice to have the ability to revisit any stage with any power-up after completing the game.

TheExodu5 said:

Wow. In the Australian NES version of SMB3 you can replay levels. A true shame you guys missed out on this.

Mojo said:

Yo mama.

TheExodu5 said:

Non-issue in my book, especially given that the levels in 3 are more fun to play through to begin with.

Top Bottom