• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Final Fantasy ditch cyberpunk?

Cyberpunk has not been much of a hit with FF games. Obviously the games have had other problems, but I think many found the style boring and unimaginative. What style should the next FF being beyond Versus XIII? I would really line to see a return of a dieselpunk world like FFVII. It worked well with that game, especially since large parts of the game dealt with pollution and environmental preservation.

If love to see a Final Fantasy game with a world design like Redline, for example.

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=S3hggcC10Ks

EDIT- replace cyberpunk with high tech sci-fi.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word then. It looks like cyberpunk has more connotations than I am aware if. I'm basically saying should Final Fantasy get away from the "high techies" it's been on lately. Would you prefer a return to high fantasy or something else? I myself really want to see another dieselpunk game. I really liked the overly mechanized designs in FFVII.it worked wonderfully with that world and story.

Spwn

There's been plenty of steampunk elements in some of my favorite FF games so I'd like to see them get back to that.

paully

Banned
Final Fantasy needs a complete overhaul/re-boot. But the mainline series sells phenomenally well, so the status quo will probably remain.

Fritz

High Fantasy would be a welcome change once in a while. But the setting is really the least of Final Fantasy's problems.

Squire

Banned
What? Which FF has done cyberpunk? There's some sci-fi for sure, but I don't think any of the games can be labeled cyberpunk.

Edit: Beaten by Salsa.

Again, what are you talking about OP?

Shinta

Banned
I'd kind of like to see the series try and tackle more hard sci-fi for one entry, like a Japanese Mass Effect almost. Using more technology than magic, traveling in space to other planets.

I'm pretty open to whatever they want to do though. The thing I like about the series is that they always do something different.

final fantasy is cyberpunk?

I've seen FFVII called "steampunk" quite a bit. VI is to a lesser extent.

FFXIII and XIII-2 weren't cyperpunk. They were a weird anime future style. FFXII before that was a full blown fantasy setting. I'm hoping they make a game with an interesting world with likable characters next time.

Eusis

Only the beginning of FFVII really flirted with it, and even that was more like Gotham or something. Given that some considered that best part of the game though if anything maybe embracing it WOULD be a good idea.

totowhoa

Banned
I don't agree that the current series has been cyber-punk for starters. But aside from that problem: Not entirely, I'd just like them to continue to switch it up like they used to at one time. I think the 13 trilogy has been extremely damaging. They definitely need to drop it for at least a title or two and experiment a bit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFX and especially FFXIII were ventures into cyberpunk.

AFAIK, X was a mix of Okinawan + South East Asian.

I'd like to see the next FF (not Versus/15) focus on other cultures like the past 3 FFs.

FFX - Okinawa + South East Asia
FFXII - Mediterranean + Arabic
FFXIII - I think it was American + a bit of Native American?
Versus XIII/XV - European + Modern Japanese influence I think?

XVI should be African or South American.

Cerity

High Fantasy would be a welcome change once in a while. But the setting is really the least of Final Fantasy's problems.

I was going to say no but I remembered that the japanese are easily the best at environment design.

I'm okay with this.

Salsa

god no

Cyberpunk = highly futuristic city but with a main focus on low-life, hackers, AI, big corporations, social disorder.. and mostly cybernetics. it tends to be presented in a dark, messy way or with a film-noir like style. It's also tends to be very busy as far as art style goes.

neither FFX or FFXIII venture into these things..

closest thing would be FF7 but even that's stretching

Squire

Banned
VII isn't cyberpunk either. It's pretty firmly dystopian with some steampunk elements, but there's really digital push in that universe.

XIII is some really basic, barebones sci-fi on top of some ass-backwards mythology. X is not even close.

I encourage you to load up the Wikipedia entry for cyberpunk.
Zanarkand had a cyberpunk feel to it. Though it was a short part of the game. XIII had a cyberpunk aesthetic, though it lacked the "information-age" themes.

Shinta

Banned
I'd like to see the next FF (not Versus/15) focus on other cultures like the past 3 FFs.

FFX - Okinawa + South East Asia
FFXIII - I think it was American + a bit of Native American?
Versus XIII/XV - European + Modern Japanese influence I think?

XVI should be African or South American.

Yeah, those were really distinct. I enjoyed both. I don't see XIII based as much on any current cultures or architecture really. FFXI also had a whole expansion with a middle eastern theme, which was really nice.

Keasar

Hell no. Those are barely sci-fi even.

Blade Runner is cyberpunk. Shadowrun (the RPGs, not that FPS crap) is cyberpunk. Cyberpunk 2077 is cyberpunk. Here is a great book that is cyberpunk.
neuromancer.jpg

god no

Cyberpunk = highly futuristic city but with a main focus on low-life, hackers, AI, big corporations, social disorder.. and mostly cybernetics. it tends to be presented in a dark, messy way or with a film-noir like style. It's also tends to be very busy as far as art style goes.

neither FFX or FFXIII venture into these things..

closest thing would be FF7 but even that's stretching
I'm purely talking aesthetics, not story themes.

Squire

Banned
Zanarkand had a cyberpunk feel to it. Though it was a short part of the game. XIII had a cyberpunk aesthetic, though it lacked the "information-age" themes.

This I could see (though it's still arguable). You have to specify though. You said X and just three us all off, haha.

Doczu

Gold Member
Final Fantasy and cyberpunk? Where? All i can see is bad animu cyber future and stuff. There is no cyberpunk in Final Fantasy.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'd actually like to see a cyberpunk Final Fantasy.

That's mostly because Ivalice is modeled after Byzantine and Gothic aesthetics.

I really wish we could see more of that world, too. Since there regions that we've never seen.

Yeah... I've never gotten a "Cyberpunk" vibe from FF. I can understand the "steampunk" vibe from FF3/6 and Tactics [mostly because of color selection on Tactics] though.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word then. It looks like cyberpunk has more connotations than I am aware if. I'm basically saying should Final Fantasy get away from the "high techies" it's been on lately. Would you prefer a return to high fantasy or something else? I myself really want to see another dieselpunk game. I really liked the overly mechanized designs in FFVII.it worked wonderfully with that world and story.

CorvoSol

X takes place on a tropical island. There aren't even computers in Spira, how is it Cyberpunk?

And XIII, in spite of its robot Gods, still doesn't spend much time talking about computers and posthumanism.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Definitely, Final Fantasy should look like a Todd Solondz film. All AAA games should be more like Todd Solondz films.

Top Bottom