• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy Switch or Mac Mini?

Switch or Mac Mini?

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I bought my wife's Switch shortly after launch and really wanted to play but sorta fell out of gaming. I asked her a similar question before my birthday last October and she bought me a Switch. I was sorta just absorbed in DLCs on Steam prior to that and had been on hiatus from console gaming. Buy the Switch. I've also bought, sold and repurchased certain consoles off and on throughout the years. The reason I tend to buy back a console I like (which tells me I shouldn't have sold it in the first place) was to buy something else. If you're leaning into buying it a 3rd time -- you know where to start and you know it's going to make you happy.

About the Mac Mini...I wouldn't discard that idea either. A Mac Mini won't do really much of anything for gaming but they're great for a work computer. You may want to set aside some money to buy that later on.

Voted too.

Quasicat

I’m an old PC guy that bought an iPad/keyboard setup as my main computing device. I’m voting for Switch because I think Mini Macs are a lot more expensive, especially compared to my iPad setup. Plus, I play my Switch daily.
That being said, I’ve casually looked into Mini Macs as a Plex server alternative when my Shield dies.

David B

An Idiot
I bought my wife's Switch shortly after launch and really wanted to play but sorta fell out of gaming. I asked her a similar question before my birthday last October and she bought me a Switch. I was sorta just absorbed in DLCs on Steam prior to that and had been on hiatus from console gaming. Buy the Switch. I've also bought, sold and repurchased certain consoles off and on throughout the years. The reason I tend to buy back a console I like (which tells me I shouldn't have sold it in the first place) was to buy something else. If you're leaning into buying it a 3rd time -- you know where to start and you know it's going to make you happy.

About the Mac Mini...I wouldn't discard that idea either. A Mac Mini won't do really much of anything for gaming but they're great for a work computer. You may want to set aside some money to buy that later on.

Voted too.
Well right now I am on a Lenovo gaming PC with Nvidia 360 12GB GDDR5 Vram GPU and Intel core i7 12700 12 core CPU. I've gone back and forth throughout the years from Mac to PC and back again. However there is no certain specific Apple software applications I use a lot. Well I used iMovie a lot. I loved using it for making videos onto youtube. But I just got tired of that after about 20 years so I quit doing youtube videos. So now there's no reason at all to own a Mac. #1. Macs are overpriced $200 to $800 dollars. #2. No special exclusive applications I want to use. #3. The menu bar is rather annoying at the top of the screen for each app. #4. Close, enlarge, minus on left instead of right, WTF? #5. You have to enable the right click in settings while it's already available from the beginning in Windows. #6. In the photos app on Mac you can't copy and paste into or out of the folder into another as well as you can't drag and drop a photo from it onto the desktop or another app or even online! #7. The keyboard controls are hard to learn if you already know about Windows keyboard controls. #8. The X close button doesn't really close, it's like another minus option because if you really want to close an app on Mac you have to up to the menu bar and click close this application under the app name. #9. 98% of the gaming market is only available on consoles and PCs. Never Macs. #10. If you want it to be anything like Windows you have to enable certain settings in the settings app like leave minimized windows in dock, keep or not keep previously used apps in the dock, so on and so on. So you see Mac is rather annoying and trust me I've used them since Mac OS X Leopard began on Intel Macs. They're rather more annoying than useful as I've stated here with 10 facts I don't like about Macs and doing such things is much easier on Windows. And of course once again, Macs are way over-priced expensive.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So you can.... switch between them. Get it..?
You need to get yourself an avatar my friend. I recommend either of the following:
zZt4jvi.png

UVV70UP.jpg

David B

An Idiot
Thanks for the voting guys. I'll for sure be going for the Nintendo Switch. I'll be keeping it this time of course. Mac just doesn't have anything I want. Switch I have a subscription right now and it allows online access as well as the Mario Kart 8 DLC maps.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Well right now I am on a Lenovo gaming PC with Nvidia 360 12GB GDDR5 Vram GPU and Intel core i7 12700 12 core CPU. I've gone back and forth throughout the years from Mac to PC and back again. However there is no certain specific Apple software applications I use a lot. Well I used iMovie a lot. I loved using it for making videos onto youtube. But I just got tired of that after about 20 years so I quit doing youtube videos. So now there's no reason at all to own a Mac. #1. Macs are overpriced $200 to $800 dollars. #2. No special exclusive applications I want to use. #3. The menu bar is rather annoying at the top of the screen for each app. #4. Close, enlarge, minus on left instead of right, WTF? #5. You have to enable the right click in settings while it's already available from the beginning in Windows. #6. In the photos app on Mac you can't copy and paste into or out of the folder into another as well as you can't drag and drop a photo from it onto the desktop or another app or even online! #7. The keyboard controls are hard to learn if you already know about Windows keyboard controls. #8. The X close button doesn't really close, it's like another minus option because if you really want to close an app on Mac you have to up to the menu bar and click close this application under the app name. #9. 98% of the gaming market is only available on consoles and PCs. Never Macs. #10. If you want it to be anything like Windows you have to enable certain settings in the settings app like leave minimized windows in dock, keep or not keep previously used apps in the dock, so on and so on. So you see Mac is rather annoying and trust me I've used them since Mac OS X Leopard began on Intel Macs. They're rather more annoying than useful as I've stated here with 10 facts I don't like about Macs and doing such things is much easier on Windows. And of course once again, Macs are way over-priced expensive.
iMac and Mac mini are great if it's for multitasking basic office (like WFH Google Workspace apps), video/photo/music editing and production tools. Beyond that, unless it's a preferred brand (I'm a Lenovo guy myself); sound like you have a decent set up already.

Looks like you chose the Switch too. Once you get it, chime into the Switch OT (Switch it Up) by Celcius Celcius in Communities!

Max_Po

Banned
Should I buy a Mac Mini or a Switch ?

One is for gaming ... and the other you buy to chop off your nuts and put on lipstick and float your pinky while you drink tea..

Make up your choice ...

Tams

I bought the Switch OLED model today out at BestBuy. Thanks for voting guys. Big lead on the Switch vote here. I just don't see anything I want on Mac at all, just seems blah to me.
I'm genuinely curious as to whether this all been a shitpost or not...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For what ? To use as a suppository? To play games to edit videos on?
Function wise they do two separate things. If for any reason the M1 can run switch games and anyone know how to get it up and running on a max air M1 please PM me for reasons.

I mean price wise I’m not sure they are comparable why not by a switch oled and chrome book or some laptop near the price.

You Are Welcome Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
For what ? To use as a suppository? To play games to edit videos on?
Function wise they do two separate things. If for any reason the M1 can run switch games and anyone know how to get it up and running on a max air M1 please PM me for reasons.

I mean price wise I’m not sure they are comparable why not by a switch oled and chrome book or some laptop near the price.

You Are Welcome Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
Well I bought the Switch OLED. $350 beats the price of a $700 Mac Mini. Plus that I got a 512 GB micro SDXC, a Nintendo Pro controller, and a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 cable to use my Xbox Series controller on PC. All of it was only $507.42.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Should have got a Wii

Shared in a video on his YouTube channel, the tech wiz demonstrates not only that the Wii is capable of getting the Apple operating system up and running, but it can even open up some applications! Internet Explorer 5? No problems (bar the absence of an internet connection). iTunes? Light work (so long as you don't want to hear any music). A quick game of Doom? Easy peasy - actually running at one frame per minute, we can't say this is either 'quick' or a 'game', but the project is impressive nonetheless.

Of course, all of this is hardly in crisp quality. The Wii is so busy burning on all cylinders to get Mac OS 9.2 running that it doesn't have time for measly grievances like resolution and load times. Pfft, picky much?

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Dude three Switches?

You know you need a fourth one to get a proper full Splatoon team lan game going on with your homies

Top Bottom