• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I return to Returnal?

Dunkelgrau

I played Returnal on release and found it phenomenal.

However, I quickly realized that I would never get very far: I like to play hard games, but I obviously lack the necessary skills for shooters. And so, I only made it to the second(?) world (I only remember that the environment was red) and I sold the game.

Now, many months later, I miss: Returnal! However, it's actually clear that this will happen again as it did back then. It's now possible to save one time, but that doesn't change the difficulty, right?

So, I ask myself the question: Should I return to Returnal?

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

However, I quickly realized that I would never get very far: I like to play hard games, but I obviously lack the necessary skills for shooters. And so, I only made it to the second(?) world (I only remember that the environment was red) and I sold the game.

Now, many months later, I miss: Returnal! However, it's actually clear that this will happen again as it did back then. It's now possible to save one time, but that doesn't change the difficulty, right?

You can cheese the save system with with cloud save backup/restore

SCB3

Yes, I was the same, I was getting hard stuck on the second boss, put it down and finally went back to it and barely struggled again once I beat him, you can grind out some things that will help as well, just clear EVERYTHING on the maps and do not be scared to die, you got this

dDoc

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Zheph

I really want to go back to it. Was absolutely obsessed when it came out and got the platinum but never got around to trying out the tower.

It's still the best ps5 exclusive in my eyes so yeah definitely give it another try!
You gonna have a good time the tower is a lot of fun and you get some extra story (and trophies)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes. You will get better with practice as the game is tough but fair.

Enemy behaviours are very readable so once you get a feel for each types strengths and weaknesses you can figure out an effective playstyle for any situation.

Just be patient with yourself and don't forget you can make progress even on failed runs. Each improvement may seem insignificant in itself, but as they accumulate you'll find yourself getting more and more confident.

Elbereth

Top 10 game this gen, easily. One of the most satisfying this experiences you will ever have.

Oh, and once you finish the campaign, start the Tower of Sisyphus…

Withnail

Keep playing, you will get better, and the rewards are worth it. Best gameplay this gen. The progress is in your skill level, not how many cutscenes you’ve seen.

Seriously if I can complete it anybody can.

T-0800

Yes you should. The thing that upgrades with each run is your skill and knowledge of the game. Don't underestimate that.

Also never play without headphones.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm in a similar position as OP, never beat the Biome 2, felt like I wasn't progressing (my own skills :messenger_grinning:) and with my backlog ever-growing I put it down. One day I will return (I hope). I loved everything about the game other than I was maybe a bit too impatient to play and keep redoing things to be better equipped.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Use the save cloud trick and you’ll have one save point, makes the game go from a 7/10 to a 10/10 for me. Absolutely love it.

Yes!

It's less based on skill than you think. Focus on leveling up your weapon traits and eventually you will roll a God like build.

Try not to rush through to the boss try and level up Selene as much as possible before having a go and you will eventually do it.

Treat the deaths as a way to try new weapon traits and enjoy 3rd person shooter heaven!

Once you start to get good and learn how to dodge, the game will click after a few deaths. It was the same way for me on Bloodborne.

Having not played a Souls before, I did not understand the game mechanics of Bloodborne. It took a while before everything clocked, then suddenly I felt like I was experiencing what made it so good, and it was the satisfaction from beating a boss or getting through a tough area. You go from feeling hunted, to realizing you ARE the hunter.

Zimmy68

I tried when the PC version came out and let me tell you, Returnal is ultra punishing on learning the combat again.
But, yes it is worth it.
I wish they would revamp the Co-Op so when your partner grabs the best gun and you are left with the pea shooter for most of the level.

SHA

Do you really suck at shooters or you just couldn't put the effort into this game specifically?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as it's fun, does it really matter if you dont get far?

I played Enter the Gungeon when it was on GP and sucked at it. But I kept playing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox doesn’t view Returnal as a threat, I was hyped to play Returnal and finished it.

tmlDan

Yes, its amazing.

At launch i also stopped for a bit then went back to it and beat it, fantastic game but sometimes a break helps when it gets frustrating

kiphalfton

I beat (?) the game. Really what it comes down to, is getting lucky. Yeah after dying however many times you'll get better (maybe not the best word choice), but it comes down to what weapon you get, if you can find astronaut statues, etc.

I mean there were runs AFTER I beat the game where I still died in the second biome, because I couldn't find any good guns.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Angry Roland Garros GIF by Tennis Channel

Still haven’t beat the first boss, game is so punishing, but so much fun. I don’t play it consistently enough to get good at it unfortunately.

I beat this game after many tries, but have had way more fun with the Tower of Sisyphus. If you beat the campaign and have all of the items/upgrades you need, I full recommend leveling your weapon skills via the Tower. Almost all of my gripes with the main game were solved by the Tower.

Fbh

Sure it's a fun game.
Not to be that guy but it really isn't THAT hard. At first I was also a bit intimidated thinking "jesus I have to replay all of this each time I die?", but eventually you realize you only have to fully explore each area the first time around as you don't need to re-fight bosses you've already beaten and you get tools to move through areas way faster.

The hardest part IMO is the third Biome. Once I finally beat the boss on like my 8th try it was pretty smooth sailing until the end.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yes!

It's less based on skill than you think. Focus on leveling up your weapon traits and eventually you will roll a God like build.

Try not to rush through to the boss try and level up Selene as much as possible before having a go and you will eventually do it.

Treat the deaths as a way to try new weapon traits and enjoy 3rd person shooter heaven!
This. It takes a certain amount of practice for the game to click, and you get good. BUT, putting in the work on every run to get strong is an essential element for playing successfully. It takes a combination of those two things.

I sucked at first and struggled with the first boss, but after playing it a bunch I could go back and easily take him out whenever I wanted.

I took out a few of the later bosses on my first try using the above strategy (git gud + grind every run to get strong).

TexMex

Yes. You’ll get better. I never thought I’d come close to beating it, but now I have the platinum.

Zheph

If you don't feel too strong avoid parasites as a general rule but once you know what to pick or not (especially in the weapon department) its a pleasing breeze

Fredrik

Angry Roland Garros GIF by Tennis Channel

Still haven’t beat the first boss, game is so punishing, but so much fun. I don’t play it consistently enough to get good at it unfortunately.
It makes Elden Ring seem like a kids game.
But have you tried the cloud save trick?
I think I spent about 15 hours dying over and over on the first boss. Barely received any permanent upgrades. Literally hated it.
Then I learned that I could pause the cycle before the boss and upload to the cloud and then download that cycle from the cloud and try again when I died.
Completely changed the game for me. It’s now my all time favorite Sony game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It makes Elden Ring seem like a kids game.
But have you tried the cloud save trick?
I think I spent about 15 hours dying over and over on the first boss. Barely received any permanent upgrades. Literally hated it.
Then I learned that I could pause the cycle before the boss and upload to the cloud and then download that cycle from the cloud and try again when I died.
Completely changed the game for me. It’s now my all time favorite Sony game.
Animated GIF

No judgement here, my reflexes are so bad!

I adore the gameplay, atmosphere, sound design. Housemarque are a very talented team of developers.

I might try this trick but I might endure the painful way. I think I need to consistently play it for a few weeks, I fall off it after 4 or 5 runs and then play something else then pick it up again in a week or so and am just not getting in to the rhythm. Agreed that it’s a fantastic game!

Top Bottom