• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I return to Returnal?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Yeah, definitely. It is a superb game. However, they could've made the weapons more balanced. If you find the right weapon, you'll have a smooth journey throughout the game. Some weapons are very powerful. I think there was a carbine, it was really good. If you can find ones with life steal abilities, you'll be unstoppable. Conquer all the rooms on the map before moving on. Don't forget to increase your suit integrity too(pick up resins while your health full).

Don't quit the game before you hear this song;

I will Return to it one day. I just don't have enough time atm.

NahaNago

I'd say just casually play it whenever you get the itch to. I'm not into shooters or souls games but I did enjoy playing the game even if I didn't get that far into it.

AndrewRyan

Reminds me I still have the Tower to look forward to.

If you analyze your defeats, you will get better and overcome:messenger_bicep:
This is the way, especially for boss fights. If you have a PS5 it automatically records the last few minutes of gameplay. As soon as you die, pause and re-watch the encounter to see how to improve.

Freeman76

I am shit at it, but got the Plat! You get lucky on some runs. I had such an OP build for the first completion the last boss died before he had a chance to attack me lol

PanzerCute

I played Returnal on release and found it phenomenal.

However, I quickly realized that I would never get very far: I like to play hard games, but I obviously lack the necessary skills for shooters. And so, I only made it to the second(?) world (I only remember that the environment was red) and I sold the game.

Now, many months later, I miss: Returnal! However, it's actually clear that this will happen again as it did back then. It's now possible to save one time, but that doesn't change the difficulty, right?

So, I ask myself the question: Should I return to Returnal?
Yes.

And you can coop the full campaign now if you need any help. Also, the infinite mode they added is bloody brilliant.

To motivate you a bit: third boss is insanely good, fourth boss is also stellar and the sound design there is second to none, the last biome is one of the most incredible thing I witnessed in an action game and when everything regarding the story clicks, it will hit you like a train.

Returnal is a master piece. And I dont use that term lightly. It is also everything AAA games dont want to be anymore.

Please, do it.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

Kokoloko85

You should always return to Returnal…
If you miss it and found it phenomenal that plenty of reason to do it.

Just keep practicing if you enjoy it. If you don‘t, then dont bother. It took me awhile to get past the 3rd level.
Also tower mode/endless mode is addictive and has some more story

Last edited:
Definitely recommend giving it another go focusing on weapons/traits you want and coming up with a strategy how you want to take on the risk/reward of basically gambling for items. Play it safe till you feel more comfortable going for something. Hold off on save scumming till you really feel at the end of your playtime with it. It's your playthrough, do it in a way that's fun for you.

And of course maybe you just don't like this kind of game and won't no matter how you try to work around it. That's fine. Sometimes it takes a few tries before that addictive gameplay loops hits if it does at all. Never feel bad about walking away.

It makes Elden Ring seem like a kids game.
But have you tried the cloud save trick?
I think I spent about 15 hours dying over and over on the first boss. Barely received any permanent upgrades. Literally hated it.
Then I learned that I could pause the cycle before the boss and upload to the cloud and then download that cycle from the cloud and try again when I died.
Completely changed the game for me. It’s now my all time favorite Sony game.
For me this is factually not true. In my 100 hours of Returnal I've died about 100 times. I almost certainly died more times to Malenia alone in Elden ring haha.

Returnal is more a more punishing game than elden ring.

I think Returnal is a true hard but fair game where as souls games are bullshit difficulty in Hindsight.

Here's footage of someone destroying Inxion in 2 minutes. It's with a late game weapon you won't have until afterwards but the point remains.

It can't be stressed enough to NOT PLAY IT LIKE SOULS. Those stupid games have taught us to sprint to Bosses ignoring everything. Returnal actually provides a compelling solution to take your time and explore each run.

Fredrik

Animated GIF

No judgement here, my reflexes are so bad!

I adore the gameplay, atmosphere, sound design. Housemarque are a very talented team of developers.

I might try this trick but I might endure the painful way. I think I need to consistently play it for a few weeks, I fall off it after 4 or 5 runs and then play something else then pick it up again in a week or so and am just not getting in to the rhythm. Agreed that it’s a fantastic game!
Definitely, it is cheating. But I have no regrets since it’s what turned hate into pure love for me. Fantastic game imo, in almost every way, deserved millions of sales. But I’m just not good enough. I finished Elden Ring several times but in Returnal I couldn’t beat level 1 boss without the save cheat. 🤕 Probably top 5 hardest games I’ve ever played.

That said, once you know how to tackle a bosses it’s easier. Then you can start experimenting with playing the regular way to not miss out in story beats and upgrades. I can reach level 3 fair easy today.

Beechos

Yes game gets so much easier during the middle of act 2. Once you have access to the gatling gun and this other gun that's super strong with a ping pong ball mechanic you will feel op.
Also not sure you're aware but don't use dash to just avoid projectiles you can dash through the blue ones! You won't believe how much easier the game is.

Last edited:

Fredrik

For me this is factually not true. In my 100 hours of Returnal I've died about 100 times. I almost certainly died more times to Malenia alone in Elden ring haha.
I think I beat her in like 5 tries, maybe 10, overhyped on difficulty imo. My most problematic Elden Ring boss is still Elden Beast, absolutely hate it.
But Returnal’s difficulty is different, it’s a combination of high difficulty and extreme frustration from having to go through such a big chunk again just to do another attempt.

Last edited:
You haven’t seen the best part of the game, probably one of my favorite part of any game tbh.

Also, I haven’t played Returnal online, but there’s Coop now too

I think I beat her in like 5 tries, maybe 10, overhyped on difficulty imo. My most problematic Elden Ring boss is still Elden Beast, absolutely hate it.
But Returnal’s difficulty is different, it’s a combination of high difficulty and extreme frustration from having to go through such a big chunk again just to do another attempt.
Well I guess difficulty is always subjective!

Returnal is definitely more punishing than elden ring. You lose way more progress and resources but I found none of the bosses took too many tries to beat inxion took me about 6.

That you can potentially lose all that progress is what made them so thrilling for me to beat.even more so than any souls boss.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I played Returnal on release and found it phenomenal.

However, I quickly realized that I would never get very far: I like to play hard games, but I obviously lack the necessary skills for shooters. And so, I only made it to the second(?) world (I only remember that the environment was red) and I sold the game.
First world is the hardest part of the game - it actually gets easier after. So you may enjoy coming back indeed.

Top Bottom