• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should you be able to skip game studio logos/ingame cinematics?

Should you be able to skip game studio logos/ingame cinematics?

• yes

Votes: 139 93.9%
  • no

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

Spyxos

Gold Member
We now have such fast hardware that you can be ingame in just a few seconds. Still, you have to look at the studio logos and in-game cinematics that can't be skipped. If I start the game for the hundredth time, I would at least like to skip the logos.

Black And White Thinking GIF by Tobias Rothe
icon loading GIF
giphy.gif

Hudo

Yes. I already bought your fucking game. I don't need to know who made it.

The only exception is EA Sports because I feel the "It's in the game" kinda enhanced the game experience back then.

Beechos

Is there any game where you actually can't skip the cinematics?
Yes! The evil within part one I believe wouldn't let you skip. The game was hard as hell with alot of cheap deaths. I dropped the game because of this I was up to like chapter 10 or 11 and had to watch like a 30sec cutscene before the boss fight.

Aenima

Yes. I like that on PS5 some games already do this. Like the 1st time you boot the game you cant skip the logos, but after that some games boot skipping the logos.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I might be misremembering but I’m sure Metroid: Other M had cutscenes you couldn’t skip, at least on your first run.

Last edited:

Aenima

Yes. Recently played The Quarry, and you cant skip the cutscenes, and some of them are pretty long, like 10 to 15 minutes long. It ruined my will to do multiple runs to see the multiple endings.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Isn’t PS5 automatically does this? Only the first time when you put disc in it shows those logos but after that PS5 automatically skips it every time you fire up the game.

There are probably legal reasons why I need to sit through 5 flash screens of middleware and studios. And the epilepsy warning and PEGI rating.

oji-san

Banned
Most definitely yes, perhaps first time booting it can be unskippable, but there's no need to see it every time you boot your game and i am quite sure most players would love to skip it if possible.

T4keD0wN

I wont mind logos on the first boot or if there is a reason for them like compiling shaders for example, but after that that it should not even be an option, it should be skipped automatically without any input from the user unless it detects new drivers or windows version.

In-game cutscenes should always be skippable once the loading is done (if there even is any)

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

If I am playing it for the first time then no, in-game cinematics shouldn't be skippable the first time around.

Studio logos. Takes 10 seconds of your life after which you spend an hour playing. again I don't mind.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the No votes are because OP did that shithead thing where the poll doesn't reflect the thread title.

The "save present" compromise is the only instance where I would find it acceptable to not have skippable logos.

HOWEVER

It used to be better, and if they were still this good I wouldn't mind them. Check this legendary shit out:

It was unskippable until the FMV, but it didn't matter because you didn't want to skip it. Even if you did, it was only a few seconds to sit through and there was something for the senses to feast on. Now it feels like a lifetime while you sit through 19 screens of boring jpegs, hopefully in black but sometimes you get really unlucky and some fucknut throws a blinding white screen in (Fromsoft).

Last edited:

Nihilum

Company logos for sure. I'm tired of:

!!PHOTOSENSITIVITY WARNING!!

NO YOU CAN'T SKIP THIS

COMPANY LOGO

SPONSORED BY AMD

CREATED USING UNREAL ENGINE 4

PUBLISHED BY SONY INTERACTIVE

WRITTEN BY A TEAM OF MULTICULTURAL PEOPLE WITH WEIRD HAIR COLORS

PLEASE WAIT CACHING SHADERS.......

Denton

Never, I want to see all the company logos, ideally for as long as possible

...what kind of stupid fucking question is that?

Dr_Salt

I'm pretty sure the No votes are because OP did that shithead thing where the poll doesn't reflect the thread title.

The "save present" compromise is the only instance where I would find it acceptable to not have skippable logos.

HOWEVER

It used to be better, and if they were still this good I wouldn't mind them. Check this legendary shit out:

It was unskippable until the FMV, but it didn't matter because you didn't want to skip it. Even if you did, it was only a few seconds to sit through and there was something for the senses to feast on. Now it feels like a lifetime while you sit through 19 screens of boring jpegs, hopefully in black but sometimes you get really unlucky and some fucknut throws a blinding white screen in (Fromsoft).

Man those Capcom intros are legendary.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Company logos for sure. I'm tired of:

!!PHOTOSENSITIVITY WARNING!!

NO YOU CAN'T SKIP THIS

COMPANY LOGO

SPONSORED BY AMD

CREATED USING UNREAL ENGINE 4

PUBLISHED BY SONY INTERACTIVE

WRITTEN BY A TEAM OF MULTICULTURAL PEOPLE WITH WEIRD HAIR COLORS

PLEASE WAIT CACHING SHADERS.......
Promo: Gamers! The new SSDs can now load up a game in 1.5 seconds! Behold this demo with a time stamp.

Reality: Your list

Krathoon

Oh yeah. The caching shaders meter is really obnoxious. Seriously, they cannot load the shaders faster?

I am looking at you, Hogwarts Legacy.

calistan

What about Xbox games where you have to choose a profile every time you start? I don't have any other profiles on my Xbox.

I can only put it down to some devs misreading the requirements for Xbox games, since it doesn't happen in most of them. Recently, Broforce on Game Pass (and that one also doesn't work with quick resume, so it's doubly retarded).

Spyxos

Gold Member
lol its probably because thread title and poll question are reversed, i chose no at first looking at the title too.
I feel like the poll options being opposite to the question was intentional.

Dick move OP, Dick move.

HOWEVER

My bad. I thought I asked the same question twice.

lmimmfn

It's should just skip everything on 2nd launch, I've already seen all that crap, plus games should have a checkpoint to just start the game from the last save point do when you launch your ingame at the latest save.

Simple things like that would provide a huge QoL game experience.

I shutdown games when I need to do other stuff(saving electricity) so that would be very handy.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Of course, players should be able to skip anything that prevents them from playing the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom