• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should you be able to skip game studio logos/ingame cinematics?

Should you be able to skip game studio logos/ingame cinematics?

• yes

Votes: 139 93.9%
  • no

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

Fbh

Yes please.
I also want some system wide setting where I can declare that I'm a ware of the risk of flashing lights and how they can affect a small percentage of the population, and I don't need to be reminded about it every time I boot a game

TransTrender

Gold Member
Company logos for sure. I'm tired of:

!!PHOTOSENSITIVITY WARNING!!

NO YOU CAN'T SKIP THIS

COMPANY LOGO

SPONSORED BY AMD

CREATED USING UNREAL ENGINE 4

PUBLISHED BY SONY INTERACTIVE

WRITTEN BY A TEAM OF MULTICULTURAL PEOPLE WITH WEIRD HAIR COLORS

PLEASE WAIT CACHING SHADERS.......
I'm surprised they haven't added a California Prop 65 warning

Hoddi

Those things are there for contractual/legal reasons and it's never been about loading times. I hate them.

Killzone on ps4 skipped them completely, it was glorious and a trend that should have stuck
Skipping intros was said to be made possible by having an HDD in the system. Then they said it was made possible by having an SSD in the system.

Nothing has changed.

CuNi

To be fair, I like to watch them the first time booting the game because imho it hypes me up a bit, since some games also have cinematics before you even see the main me ue for the first time.

After that I always skip. So I wouldn't mind being forced to watch it once but being able to skip the from there on out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Since the question asked in the poll is binary, meaning an absolute answer one way or another, I have to say NO despite the fact that cut-scenes/logos etc being skippable is typically desirable as a convenience.

Problem is, if you take the absolutist position, that it basically precludes situations where cinematics give important information or perform some function of actual importance to playing the game. Similarly, its pretty dumb to assume that while a logo is up on-screen the program isn't doing something important in the background like loading in code or assets which takes a fixed amount of time. Code is almost certainly multi-threaded so showing/hiding something isn't neccessarily impactful on getting into the gameplay quicker! You might just end up looking at another splash-screen or blank display longer.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Since the question asked in the poll is binary, meaning an absolute answer one way or another, I have to say NO despite the fact that cut-scenes/logos etc being skippable is typically desirable as a convenience.

Problem is, if you take the absolutist position, that it basically precludes situations where cinematics give important information or perform some function of actual importance to playing the game. Similarly, its pretty dumb to assume that while a logo is up on-screen the program isn't doing something important in the background like loading in code or assets which takes a fixed amount of time. Code is almost certainly multi-threaded so showing/hiding something isn't neccessarily impactful on getting into the gameplay quicker! You might just end up looking at another splash-screen or blank display longer.
The only game I know of that really loads during cutsences is Max Payne 3. I've often modded it out on the PC and the games have loaded much faster as a result.

Wildebeest

People make text only games where the letters and words appear slower than I can type, never mind read, are going straight to hell.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The only game I know of that really loads during cutsences is Max Payne 3. I've often modded it out on the PC and the games have loaded much faster as a result.

Like I said, cut-scenes are arguable on the basis that they may contain significant helpful information for the player. Such as indicating in which direction an enemy has fled, if there's an important item in the area to be found, a new game mechanic is on offer etc.

Its dangerous to assume that the player is going to know what to do or when a particular cut-scene is going to be trivial versus important.

Just giving people an option (to skip) ensures that some are going to overuse it blindly - and then blame the game for their own hastyness.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Yes, of course!

You could simply not press anything if you'd like to watch it, but those of us who prefer to jump straight into playing should also be allowed to. It's a win-win design imo.

Dorago

Show me the studio logo the first time I start the game. Show it again when I’m done. Make it like a movie.

For cutscenes, if they aren’t skippable I’ll put the controller down and do something else. This is probably not the “engagement” that the bean counters are looking for.

Get rid of All animated logo's. All you need is a start screen with a tiny picture in the corner of your stupid logo, Better yet put all that garbage in the credits, AFTER I've finished the game. Or as a menu item in the options.

Thanati

That’s one of the things that made COD4 (the first modern warfare) so great. You could skip everything by slamming A and immediately get into the multiplayer menu/game.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Very first thing I look up when I start a new PC game, how to remove or mod out the company logos.

Aenima

The intro to GT7 until you find the option to disable it in the settings:

You dont need to disable it in the options to skiped it. Just the 1st time you boot the game its unskippable for what reason i dunno. After the 1st time, you can skip the intro with a button press. Disabling it it the options will not show the intro again.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Of course you should, porcoddio.
It should be illegal to waste my time.

I usually just delete the movie files, when possible.

Top Bottom