• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows |OT| Saving You From The Plague of Paid DLC

jett

D-Member
Man it's been a year since they released an update to this game. That's crazy. Hopefully they do release their all-in-one patch this year. I don't really want Yacht Games to be consumed making free DLC for SK. I wonder how much work has started on their next game. edit: Oh nevermind, the Spectre Knight DLC has been delayed until 2017.

Anyway. When this DLC hit, I didn't like it at all. Plague Knight plays weird, he slides all over the place, his bombs are just strange, his jumps are shit, his expodejump feels odd and you get knocked the fuck back by enemies. I abandoned it rather quickly, felt pretty disappointed.

So I looked at the SK icon on my PC and felt like giving another go. Two levels down and I feel pretty much the same. :p I'm constantly struggling with the controls, even with the floaty jump. It's honestly like super hard mode for me, except the challenge relies solely on the controls. As far as I'm concerned they kinda screwed it up here in an attempt to be different. One of the finest things about SK is the controls and this is pretty messy.

I hope the other two campaigns are more sensible about it.

oni-link

I just beat the main game last night so dug this thread out to see what people think of the DLC and reading the last few pages have been disheartening

Dr. Buni

I just beat the main game last night so dug this thread out to see what people think of the DLC and reading the last few pages have been disheartening
As far as I know, the reception was mostly positive.

Personally, I like the Plague Knight campaign far more than the Shovel Knight one. Both are incredible, but I found Plague's quest really charming.

Can't wait for King Knight's campaign to be released '~'

eXistor

I liked Plague Knight more than SK, he's so different in feel that it feels like a new game almost and you can get pretty technical with him which is good.

Extremely late to the party I know but this game as a whole is just incredible. The quality of every asset, NPC, joke, level, design, etc etc is immaculate. Half way through Plague of Shadows after completing Shovel Knight's campaign for the first time and both are so incredible- I feel like they stepped up the complexity in level design for Shadows but maybe that's due to just how different the combat mechanics feel.

An absolute joy from start to finish. Favorite part: the troupple king.

ryechu

Man it's been a year since they released an update to this game. That's crazy. Hopefully they do release their all-in-one patch this year. I don't really want Yacht Games to be consumed making free DLC for SK. I wonder how much work has started on their next game. edit: Oh nevermind, the Spectre Knight DLC has been delayed until 2017.

Anyway. When this DLC hit, I didn't like it at all. Plague Knight plays weird, he slides all over the place, his bombs are just strange, his jumps are shit, his expodejump feels odd and you get knocked the fuck back by enemies. I abandoned it rather quickly, felt pretty disappointed.

So I looked at the SK icon on my PC and felt like giving another go. Two levels down and I feel pretty much the same. :p I'm constantly struggling with the controls, even with the floaty jump. It's honestly like super hard mode for me, except the challenge relies solely on the controls. As far as I'm concerned they kinda screwed it up here in an attempt to be different. One of the finest things about SK is the controls and this is pretty messy.

I hope the other two campaigns are more sensible about it.

you are supposed to save your double jump until after your bomb burst. charge bomb burst, jump rlease burst jump again. If you do a neutral second jump (not holding anything on your d pad) you will stop your momentum. That and you can throw bombs to stall your momentum.

Honestly, if it takes you this long to learn how to control a new character, the problem is you are coming in with too many preconcieved notions of how your character should control. You arent experimenting enough. Stop trying to go through the same, clunky way, thinking that eventually you will get better. You need to learn what you dont understand about the controls.

Admittedly the game doesnt do a great job teaching people, but they said that was intentional. They wanted people to figure it out without tutorials.

Top Bottom