• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show Me A Hero |OT| HBO Miniseries by David Simon, Starring Oscar Isaac - Sun 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

15ir62.png

TheOddOne

lednerg

Really looking forward to this.

EDIT:

(After having seen it) Get past the first two episodes - it pays off. And definitely avoid spoilers.

The HBOGO version has extra content after episodes 4 and 6, so be sure check that out. Skip to 1:01:00 for ep 4, if you don't want the next episode spoilers.

Thanks for putting the thread together. I'm not sure when I'll get to this, but I'm going to DVR it and watch at some point.

TheOddOne

- Variety: TV Review: ‘Show Me a Hero’.
A timely, nuanced look at class and race through the prism of events that transpired more than a quarter-century ago, “Show Me a Hero” is a sobering, spare and meticulously crafted HBO miniseries. Although the subject matter — six hours devoted to the battle over public housing in Yonkers, N.Y. — won’t be for everyone, David Simon’s productions seldom are. Nevertheless, the pervasive quality and ambition, including Oscar Isaac’s central performance, rubs off on the pay network in a flattering way, feeling very much of a piece with the third season of “The Wire” in capturing the dysfunction of municipal politics.
- IndieWire: Review: David Simon's Outstanding 'Show Me A Hero' Starring Oscar Isaac, Catherine Keener, More.
Directed with great craftsmanship by Paul Haggis, and powered by an organically felt selection of Bruce Springsteen tunes, ”Show Me A Hero” is an outstanding and deeply soulful miniseries drama delivered at the kind of top-tier level that only comes along every few years or so. It’s not just a slice of true history, but a probing, entertaining look at how the politics of fear and prejudice can curdle even the most earnest of American ideals and progress. However, even within that atmosphere, "Show Me A Hero" shows that a few seeds can blossom, ones that carry the best of what we want for ourselves and each other.
- NYTimes: David Simon and Cory Booker on ‘Show Me a Hero’ and the Future of Cities.

Trey

Andy Greenwald (Grantland) really likes it.
Its subject matter — public housing in the New York city of Yonkers — is uncommercial to an almost absurd degree. (Networks these days demand noisy premises and, literally, sex in the first five pages of a pilot script. The only banging in Show Me a Hero involves a gavel.) But it is also brilliantly, vibrantly alive in a way almost no television is. Despite its title,1 there are no actual heroes in the series: just a collection of flawed, full-blooded human beings trying their best under trying circumstances. With Oscar Isaac in the lead as embattled Yonkers Mayor Nick Wasicsko, it’s anchored by one of the best star turns on TV in recent memory. Unlike Simon’s last two projects, Show Me a Hero is as entertaining as it is powerful. It’s going to win awards. Sorry, David. But I also have a feeling that people are going to watch it — and hopefully a great many of them.

Frog-fu

Banned
The reviews are very encouraging. Sad it's only a miniseries, which means a second season is unlikely (unless the show becomes an anthology series based on other real life events), but I'll be making sure I enjoy the hell out of it the best I can.

Blader

Nevertheless, the pervasive quality and ambition, including Oscar Isaac’s central performance, rubs off on the pay network in a flattering way, feeling very much of a piece with the third season of “The Wire” in capturing the dysfunction of municipal politics.

Aw yes, music to my ears. S3 was king.

Treme was a good show but it got a bit boring for me, I ended up not finishing it.

This miniseries sounds right in his wheelhouse though and it helps that it stars Oscar Isaac too, I'm hyped

Blackhead

Redarse
Wtf, we are judging directors on trailers now? I see somone is already trying to get their knife into Haggis early lol. Why bother with trailers at all? One of the most annonying things about HBO are the episode-specific trailers each Sunday right before the new epsiode airs. Either get spoiled or switch/mute and risk missing the start of the episode. Why willing watch a trailer if you already know you'll watch the show anyway? David Simon shows are the surest good thing in TV

I didn't watch the trailer and read the book instead

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hate when HBO airs episodes of their minis back to back. As it there wasn't enough to watch on any given day of the week, now I have two extra hours instead of just one. :/

I hate when HBO airs episodes of their minis back to back. As it there wasn't enough to watch on any given day of the week, now I have two extra hours instead of just one. :/

The stupidest thing about the scheduling is that The Leftovers isn't even premiering until October 4th, so HBO is blowing through this for no reason at all.

yami4ct

Just started the episode. Man this show is pretty as hell. Great use of licensed music as well. Really sets the tone.

Oscar Issac is a great lead really enjoying this first episode. Nice to see Jon Berthal doing a different type of character he's known for doing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Compelling stuff. I like the separate narratives churning off the main one. All these worlds are going to collide soon enough.

Foggy

Tremendous. Between this and The Problem We All Live With episodes of This American Life, it's been a real gut punch to the soul for me this past week.

After two episodes, I'm convinced that they made the Vice Mayor look like Justice Scalia on purpose. I know I can easily look up what he looks like in real life, but I want to cling to this for a few moments. lol

Anyway, wonderfully acted, directed, and written episodes so far. After the True Detective Season 2 debacle, it's nice seeing something well made again.

Jonm1010

Banned
Very good first 2 episodes. Puts the wheels in motion and sets the playing field with a slow build in typical Simon fashion.

Isaac is a great lead and the supporting cast has been great all around. Between this, Wolf of Wall Street and Fury, Bernthal has made me do a complete 180 on him after hating his performance in Walking Dead(though not many actors have came out of that series looking good).

Dalek

Right out the gate this thing is high class, top notch television. Felt like I was watching The Wire again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom