• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute BEST character design you can think of

latest

Queen.

800px-Donkey_Kong_and_Diddy_Kong_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze.png

DK and Diddy are timeless in my opinion.

Out of all the artists who've worked at Rare at some point, I think Kevin Bayliss should be the most proud. Long after Rare left the building, Bayliss's DK and Diddy designs are still being used in modern Nintendo games to this day. Hell, Diddy is the only fully western designed character in Smash Bros.

In that sense, I kinda feel a little bad for Steve Mayles, the creator of Banjo and Kazooie who have kinda faded away into Microsoft's vault. Can't seem to get any of his characters in Smash Bros. either, not even the ones that should actually be legally possible, such as Dixie Kong and K. Rool, lol. At least the former got into Tropical Freeze.

220px-BooNSMBWarticle.png

Simple enough to be instantly recognizable, but interesting enough that each artist's incarnation look very varied.

But if for some weird reason we're talking humanoid/humans only

hsienko-ds3-art.png

Capcom has a lot of cool takes on classic monsters in Darkstalkers, but Hsien-Ko has to be my absolute favorite

Village

I would give it to sonic characters, those things will drag you through bad games and retain you popularity.

That's a good character design, a character design that can buffer your fumbles.

kUoRQc5.jpg

Capcom's character design philosophy was solid back in the day.

That block thing isn't really that special and kind of like, doesn't give credit for the other numerous reasons why characters are memerables.

Its a neat thing at best.

Atlas and P-body. Minimalist, yet super expressive. They have no face, and only one eye, but you can read their different personalities from postures, body shape, and animation. And they also happen to look great.
aAsJVAf.png

TI82

Banned
I've always liked Raidou despite not even playing his game (yet). Just looks really simple but interesting.

Weapon seller guy in persona 5 is also very cool.

But we could fill an entire thread with SMT characters so that's where I'll stop lol

18j1r0c9t8mebjpg.jpg

Every character in Catherine looks amazing, but Vincent is just so damn funny. He somehow makes you feel bad for him even with him banging possibly the 2 hottest girls in the world lol.

Oh look, it's one of those fucking topics where half the people don't name the character or the game...

Resident_Evil_6_Leon_Kennedy_Vest-700x700.jpg

Leon looks great in Resi 4, but he's a sexy son of a bitch in Resi 6 as well.

Top Bottom