• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

calza

JasonMCG said:
^^^ This is going to sound a little weird, but I think I know that girl...

FYfGM.gif

Leunam

About the Author

Thanks for choosing Clarity, a content-focused theme by Ian P. Hines. This footer is intended to contain interesting, personalized content about you: the author. To customize the footer, open the 'Customize' page in your Tumblr Dashboard. Then, in the Appearance menu, you'll see a number of editable text fields. Simply input your content, and enjoy.

LOL

Slizz

Leunam said:
If it makes you feel better, all the other ones on there are far, far worse.

I thought that as well, but I could really care less. Theres a whole thread on XDA that's dedicated to the exact way my phone was set up. Haters gon Hate.

I Am Now

Banned
If anyone can help me, it's you GAF. The only thing I hate about my phone, is that I can't just set a wallpaper that fits my screen and doesn't move when I switch homescreens. I don't want to crop it into a square, I've got a screen sized wallpaper that I want to stay put! please help! (Using Droid 2)

Circle T

I Am Now said:
If anyone can help me, it's you GAF. The only thing I hate about my phone, is that I can't just set a wallpaper that fits my screen and doesn't move when I switch homescreens. I don't want to crop it into a square, I've got a screen sized wallpaper that I want to stay put! please help! (Using Droid 2)
I don't think the stock launcher has that option, but I know you CAN do it with LauncherPro...

LP Preferences --> Appearance --> Disable Homescreen Scrolling

That might not help you, if you're trying to use the stock launcher, but I just thought I'd mention it to see if it helps.

I Am Now

Banned
Circle T said:
I don't think the stock launcher has that option, but I know you CAN do it with LauncherPro...

LP Preferences --> Appearance --> Disable Homescreen Scrolling

That might not help you, if you're trying to use the stock launcher, but I just thought I'd mention it to see if it helps.
That disables scrolling, but still makes you crop the image. After doing some digging, I found an app called dodol wallpaper maker and it's exactly what i needed. Thanks, though.

I Am Now

Banned
Yaboosh said:
On the cropping screen you can expand the box to fit your entire photo file can't you?
Do you mean by default? or in the wallpaper app? Because by default you can resize the square, but it will always stay a square.

Circle T

I Am Now said:
That disables scrolling, but still makes you crop the image.
Yaboosh said:
On the cropping screen you can expand the box to fit your entire photo file can't you?
OH, I see what you are talking about now. Normally, the wallpaper resolution is 960x800, so the crop area box is constrained to that ratio. Thus, when you resize the crop area box on a wallpaper that is only 800x480, it only selects that small area from the center of the image.

Glad you found an app to fix that, because other than that, the only thing I could think would be to add some extra blank area to the left and right of the images.

JaseMath

My new home screen set up.

qMqC3.png

The numbers on the clock is actually the battery percentage (done with some clever positioning).

My droid is really_god_damn_slow now so I was thinking of rooting it. Any suggestions of where to get started? Need to hold off until I can buy a new phone

thespot84

cuevas said:
My droid is really_god_damn_slow now so I was thinking of rooting it. Any suggestions of where to get started? Need to hold off until I can buy a new phone

I think gizmodo has a 'root any android' type article that they keep updated, you should look for it. z4root might work on the new droids too (on the xda-developers site), but you have to make sure that whatever rom you're running (FRG83G or whatever) is supported. The basic process is to root, which might be as easy as downloading an app/pressing a button, and then installing custom recovery which allows you to put new roms on. For that I use clockworkrecovery, which is pretty popular. After you have that installed and have 'flashed new recovery', you can choose a rom to install or keep your stock ROM. peteralfonso.com has good gingerbread based builds, ultimate droid is solid, cyanogenmod is solid, you have a lot of choices...

note that while gingerbread builds FLY on the OG droid, memory management is quirky and some apps behave weirdly (my texting kept getting kicked out of memory, had to switch back) and some just don't work at all (my verizon, page once etc). Rooting/roms is really something you have to spend time learning the ins and outs of to use effectively. Just FYI, I'm rooted and using the stock froyo FRG83G build right now, and i've flashed a new kernel in order to better overclock the chip, so stock is 550mhz and I'm running 1.1ghz max. it does improve things.

Another note (i'm typing them as they come) is two fold. first is to always keep a nandroid backup (you can do this through clockworkrecovery) whenever you're messing around with roms, so when shit get's messed up (and it will) you can revert back. second is that if you're interested in new roms you'll have to wipe data and cache (again through recovery) to work with it effectively. Even if you were to keep stock but root I would still recommend wiping stock and cache, since the phone seems to run better fresh. so with that, have fun!

I can't find a good clock widget that I like. I've used Beautiful Weather for so long, that it looks so "plain" to me, and not in a good way. I've used SimiClock, and I like how it looks on my Nook Color, but I don't want to use the same setup on my phone. *shrug*

thespot84

The Broken Ska Record said:
I can't find a good clock widget that I like. I've used Beautiful Weather for so long, that it looks so "plain" to me, and not in a good way. I've used SimiClock, and I like how it looks on my Nook Color, but I don't want to use the same setup on my phone. *shrug*

eh i Like the honeycomb clock skin for beautiful widgets a lot, and it only takes up one row....

JaseMath

Try Advanced Clock Widget. When paired with Pixelspore's Weather Widgets, the combination is pretty awesome.

Thanks, I'll try those out. I was playing around with some new launchers, and I'm half-tempted to go to Launcher 7. It's minimalist, and simple, but A LOT of it looks like ass.

JaseMath

Thanks, I'll try those out. I was playing around with some new launchers, and I'm half-tempted to go to Launcher 7. It's minimalist, and simple, but A LOT of it looks like ass.
Here's my current screen for reference with both Advanced Clock and Weather Widgets (by Pixelspore). I was using Launcher Pro for awhile, but it was slowing my down my Incredible quite a bit, so I went back to stock Sense.

iUVvr.png

I actually didn't like the way Advanced Clock Widget looked on my homescreen, so I used it for my unlock screen. I have to change it a bit, because I don't like the default font too much.

This is what I have so far:
2zjkv1z.jpg

I have Bobsclock and Simiclock for the weather, and I like the minimalist look.

Casp0r

Banned
Well ... my Galaxy S now looks fugly as shit ... thanks I'm going to now have to spend hours trawling the web and finding themes to make it look even remotely as sexy as your phones.

Anyone have any good tips for Samsung Galaxy S phones?

Casp0r said:
Well ... my Galaxy S now looks fugly as shit ... thanks I'm going to now have to spend hours trawling the web and finding themes to make it look even remotely as sexy as your phones.

You can probably get a good ROM from XDA

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Casp0r said:

Darkys ROM is the best one for the Galaxy S IMO.
Lots of great fixes and features.

kehs

Banned
Casp0r said:

WP7Launcher

Casp0r

Banned
navanman said:
Darkys ROM is the best one for the Galaxy S IMO.
Lots of great fixes and features.

Yeah I've considered it. However I spent months fiddling around with ROM's and after finally getting 2.2.1 working ... I'm not quite ready to jump ship to Darkys, maybe if gingerbread doesn't come out soon.

I have however got Launcher Pro Plus, and a bunch of other stuff and my phone now looks so much slicker and smoother.

I remember now why I went android over apple :) thanks everyone.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I just switched over from Android Revolution 4.0 beta no-sense to try out the final release version of CyanogenMod 7 and I decided to change things up visually on my Inspire 4G. I really like my new visual setup but as far as CM7 goes Im not really sold on it and will probably switched back to AR4 once it gets updated with the official HTC gingerbread rom. It sucks cause I really like stock Android but theres a lot Sense that I dont think I can live without, Stock has a way better call screen, contacts and sweet screen sleep/awake animations, while Sense has a way better keyboard, camera, gallery and syncing. If only I had the knowhow to make my own perfect custom rom.

snap20110411_235459.png

snap20110411_235139.png

Anyways Im running Launcher Pro(which hasnt been totally smooth on CM7 dont like ADW) and Widget Locker, Minimalistic Text on the lock screen, gTabSiMiClock battery only on the homescreen, HD icons by mikebeecham, dock by KimboPrice on DeviantArt and finally wallpaper is Corner Stripes by RobotBoyMedia on DeviantArt.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Evo 4G On CM7 Final. MattedBlues Theme. Illumine Icons.

z9Txz.png

Also bought an Evo 4G Seidio 3500 Battery...

K16KM.png

I'm in love with it. That's with me tethering it to my iPad for a majority of yesterday and having 4G on as well.

Still working on my new setup, playing around with icons. Latest is:

pRVWf.png

Part of me likes the icons because I know nobody else has these, part of me doesn't. lol.

I have spent more time customizing this phone than any other before it.

X26

Banned
Slightly OT, but rather not make a new thread. I'm thinking of getting a new phone, and am looking at android enabled ones. Ideally I'd get an an htc insight but it's a bit out of my price range even with discounts, so my reasonable choices are:

HTC Desire/Desire HD
LG Optimus One
Samsung Galaxy Fascinate
Motorola Milestone

Any of these phones worth getting now, or should I hold off a bit?

thespot84

X26 said:
Slightly OT, but rather not make a new thread. I'm thinking of getting a new phone, and am looking at android enabled ones. Ideally I'd get an an htc insight but it's a bit out of my price range even with discounts, so my reasonable choices are:

HTC Desire/Desire HD
LG Optimus One
Samsung Galaxy Fascinate
Motorola Milestone

Any of these phones worth getting now, or should I hold off a bit?

Try here, you'll get better results:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416681&page=163

Top Bottom