• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Any suggestions for a captivate? I like how most of you have the time, weather, etc. I just want things to look uncluttered. I have mine rooted, and I've been using... shit. I forgot the rom. BRB. Time to go wake the wife up, get yelled at, and find out.

*edit* I'm using cognition.

blW4t.jpg

EDyo0.jpg

omgkitty

Is there a way to get lock screens like this without rooting? I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find anything like these.
EGM92 said:
The Broken Ska Record said:

Also what task bar is this?
RJNavarrete said:

Seriously though...how hard is it for people to post what everything is? It happens in every thread and it's so infuriating!

ShinNL

MrEnglishPanda said:

Seriously though...how hard is it for people to post what everything is? It happens in every thread and it's so infuriating!
Maybe you should start lowering your blood pressure by just flipping through the pages and notice that the dockbar you're looking for has been posted earlier in this thread.

Tk0n said:
Anyone know the name of this clock?

Maiar_m

MrEnglishPanda said:
Is there a way to get lock screens like this without rooting? I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find anything like these.

It's all in the thread already. The lockscreens are widgetlocker with skins, the app itself links to a thread were you'll find them. As for the widgets on the lockscreen, again, most of them are already named in the thread, people just get tired of repeating. The same goes for the taskbar (which is probably ADW with custom icons and background).

Also, I believe you can install and use widgetlocker without rooting.

It's not hard, it's just been said over and over again, so sometimes you just don't bother.

Edit: Beaten

omgkitty

Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry for being lazy. I have been through this entire thread several times and I guess I haven't really noticed all the links before. But if you go to the wallpaper thread or whatnot, people never post sources and it can just be annoying.

Fireblend

Banned
Wow, I've had my Android (Nexus S) for less than a week, but I still can't believe I hadn't checked out Launcher Pro. I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, but wow, landscape mode, status bar hiding, hiding apps in the drawer, homescreen-switching effects... I'm in love!

DjPxz.jpg

I have a G2x but whenever I download ADW or Launcher Pro and press the menu button, the animations are really slow. Is there anyway I can fix that?

Circle T

killertofu said:
I have a G2x but whenever I download ADW or Launcher Pro and press the menu button, the animations are really slow. Is there anyway I can fix that?
I'm currently using ADW, but when I used LP, it did that occasionally. I would go in to the options and adjust the App Drawer and Menu opening speed, but when I closed it, they wouldn't stick, and it would actually set itself to the "Very Slow" setting, as it sounds like is happening to you. I had to change one, exit, then open the options and change the other. Then the opening speed options would then stick, and all of them would open nice and fast. I haven't had any problems like that so far with ADW, but I'm only about 2 weeks in to using it.

Mdk7

Fuck you guys, this topic eventually convinced me to buy a Nexus S. :D
Now i have to find a i9020, we got screwed (as always) here in Italy...
But i want one of these phones SO BAD.

Just a quick question... is it easy to actually customize the menus, the themes and blablabla?
I'm a huge noob on Android stuff... :p

Fireblend

Banned
Mdk7 said:

Just a quick question... is it easy to actually customize the menus, the themes and blablabla?

I've got mine for less than a week, and trust me, regardless of how difficult it may be for you to find it (really, I live in Costa Rica, been tracking one of these down for at least 2 months), it's absolutely worth the effort. It's gorgeous, and as far as customization goes, the sky is the limit. I've had about 15 iterations of my homescreen(s) so far and I've done lots with only free apps. About complexity, you can basically dig as deep as you may want into the phone to get each damn pixel to look like you want it to look, or just grab preset themes and customization stuff that look awesome (of which dozens keep appearing everyday) to just drag-and-drop into your screen. One of the many wonders of Android.

By the way, here's a site I found out about today:

http://mycolorscreen.com/

Basically an awesome showcase of customized homescreens (like this thread, but hey, maybe some of us can grab some ideas from there). The cool thing about it is you can tag widgets, docks and other stuff in your screenshots, so people can finally stop asking about what is everything in a screenshot and get right ahead to ripping it off :D It's currently on beta though, and some of the background pics on the themes may not be entirely safe for work, but it's pretty neat.

Broseybrose

Ive only had my Samsung Galaxy S 4G from T-Mobile for 2 months. It was my first Android phone, therefore, I've only been an Android user for the past 2 months. So I haven't rooted it and I have barely scratched the tip of the iceberg of custom launchers.

5686442078_2caabe6005_b_d.jpg

5686441952_12b8911714_b_d.jpg
5685873601_c4a20b61b3_b_d.jpg

5685873567_48f80363df_b_d.jpg
5685873657_45c4886e12_b_d.jpg

5686442036_4f13cf2416_b_d.jpg
5686442000_e25d288f3e_b_d.jpg

I just love the look of the SGS 4G - and it's interface - so much, I think its perfect that Apple is suing Samsung over my phone. That's how I KNOW I bought the right phone. I've been waiting to hear "better than an iPhone" for years and years.

I'm sure that the longer I'm an Android user the more bored I'll get with the Galaxy's interface, the deeper I'll delve.

Anyway, Screen Capture Shortcut Free lets you take screenshots perfectly and easily with your unrooted SGS 4G.

santouras

Mdk7 said:

I imported my nexus s from handtec.co.uk. Super fast shipping and cause you don't pay VAT it's pretty affordable

Mdk7

santouras said:
I imported my nexus s from handtec.co.uk. Super fast shipping and cause you don't pay VAT it's pretty affordable
Thanks for the advice man, i bought one 5 minutes ago.
How can it be so affordable!?! it's pretty insane, i'd have paid like 150 Euros more if i had bought it in Italy (all this without considering the whole AMOLED vs Super Clear LCD affaire).

Now i hope to get a Nexus S instead of a brick, LOL.

Just another quick question... all the astonishing degree of customization i'm seeing in this thread is available right out of the box, or you have to do weird jailbreaks and shit like that?
Cuz i'm not really into those kind of things, being a n00b i usually prefer to keep things as they are. :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I have had my Thunderbolt for about a month now, first smartphone for me.

About a week ago I discovered the magic of launchers and have been trying several. I am currently sporting Go Launcher but I hear ADW and Launcher Pro are better/faster. Is that the consensus, or is Go Launcher a fair option? Before I plop money on any of them, I would like to get the general opinion.

Fireblend

Banned
AndyD said:

About a week ago I discovered the magic of launchers and have been trying several. I am currently sporting Go Launcher but I hear ADW and Launcher Pro are better/faster. Is that the consensus, or is Go Launcher a fair option? Before I plop money on any of them, I would like to get the general opinion.
I'm using the free version of Launcher Pro and it's been pretty awesome so far, why not give that a shot before buying the plus version?

AndyD said:

I switched from launcherpro to golauncher after a long time of using lp. Lp is just too bloated and desperately needs a rewrite (not sure if he did that yet)

Tk0n

Soneet said:
Maybe you should start lowering your blood pressure by just flipping through the pages and notice that the dockbar you're looking for has been posted earlier in this thread.

Anyone know the name of this clock?

its makeyourclock widget. i made a 4x2 widget and a 4x2 widget and located them on top of each other.

thespot84

Mdk7 said:
Guys could you answer me? :p
Do you need to root your phone to customize it like that?

as far as the widget/launchers/backgrounds go, no you shouldn't need to root. I'm not sure about the icons but given that the launchers come with their own I assume you don't need to root for those either.

Dead Man

Damn, you guys have some really nice designs going. I am just starting to play around with my HTC Legend, don't think I'll be able to anything really classy like some of the ones here.

kehs

Banned
Mdk7 said:
Guys could you answer me? :p
Do you need to root your phone to customize it like that?

Good rule of thumb for what is root and what isn't, visually speaking, is anything not in the status bar can be changed without root. If you see changes to the status bar it's probably root oriented.

Mdk7

The Nexus S has already arrived!
Handtec.co.uk is beyond awesome, really!

Now i'm starting to play a bit with all this stuff... Android's amazing!

Just one thing i'm not getting: is there a way to hide the little bar on the upper part of the screen? The one with the clock and the battery...
Thanks!!

kehs

Banned
Mdk7 said:

Just one thing i'm not getting: is there a way to hide the little bar on the upper part of the screen? The one with the clock and the battery...
Thanks!!

Some programs can go into fullscreen mode (browser,games,etc). You can find an alternate launcher like launcherpro/adw/launcher7 that hides the status bar. You can't get rid of it all the time though, and you probably don't want to either since you'll have no way to jump to notifications easily.

(I assume you know you can drag it down, right? =P )

Mdk7

Copernicus said:
Some programs can go into fullscreen mode (browser,games,etc). You can find an alternate launcher like launcherpro/adw/launcher7 that hides the status bar. You can't get rid of it all the time though, and you probably don't want to either since you'll have no way to jump to notifications easily.

(I assume you know you can drag it down, right? =P )
Thanks dude, now i'm toying around with launcherPro...
Shit i'll wast some much time with the phone now... T___T

kehs

Banned
oatmeal said:
Beautiful stuff in here.

Do you have to root to have something like these?

Good rule of thumb for what is root and what isn't, visually speaking, is anything not in the status bar can be changed without root. If you see changes to the status bar it's probably root oriented.

Casp0r

Banned
Anyone using Beautiful Widgets find that it resets everytime it updates ... which is like every other day ... so when i want to hide the background on my weather widget and use this cool skin for the weather pics ... it changes back everytime it updates ...

Anyone know how to disable this ... it's pissing me off to no end.

Fatalah

The Broken Ska Record said:
Nope. Just search for a Launcher in the Android Market.
Looks like we need the OP to update the first post with basic customization info.

Oh wait, it's all already there. Come on new guys!

santouras

Mdk7 said:

Thanks!!
two days, awesome :) I live in australia and they get me my stuff within five days. I have always been super impressed with their service

sN6XC.png

I think I'm getting close to what I want. Still not completely happy with LP. I really like the minimal dock set-up, but it doesn't seem quite as stable as ADW.

Top Bottom