• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

Barrett2

I can't believe how many of you guys have mammoth TVs. I feel like a street urchin after looking at this page for only having a 32inch HDTV sitting on a shitty wooden end-table.

Smokey

lawblob said:
I can't believe how many of you guys have mammoth TVs. I feel like a street urchin after looking at this page for only having a 32inch HDTV sitting on a shitty wooden end-table.

Why not?

This is an enthusiast forum where the latest tech 1080p/7.1 etc. are pretty common.

Rufus

^ What he said. Keep in mind that there are also a great number of people who never posted their setup, for a multitude of reasons.

Threi said:
just for kicks here is the secondary "gaming" setup (SNES and PS1):
2qbst2c.jpg

29b279y.jpg

:lol

Tribute to Gahiggidy?

CAVE343

Niks said:
Ok I updated my setup. Its still missing some details but Im getting there.

To do list.
- Hide cable going to surround somehow.
- Move my central channel higher. Probably need to install a cooling fan to the AVR since it barely fits inside the cabinet.

Anyways hope you all like!
b7guxk.jpg
Very nice setup, I like the clean look.
Those pictures are great, love how they are split into three

WindBelow

Neo Member
zbarron said:
What's with giving the Television small satellite speakers and giving the PC bookshelf ones? It seems kind of backwards to me.

The speakers next to my mac are reference monitors and are not made for TV's. They are used for mixing, recording, and referencing audio (i'm an audio engineer) so I keep them in my little audio mixing area. The speakers for my TV are just normal Sony 5.1 speakers, which were all I could afford at the time.

WindBelow said:
The speakers next to my mac are reference monitors and are not made for TV's. They are used for mixing, recording, and referencing audio (i'm an audio engineer) so I keep them in my little audio mixing area. The speakers for my TV are just normal Sony 5.1 speakers, which were all I could afford at the time.

That is an awesome room!

Rikyfree

Hehe I remember when I got my HDTV (Toshiba 32" 1080p). Got the guy to sell it to me for 150 less than what it was worth. Never felt better about any purchase.

Kinda sloppy, needs a dusting and whatnot (that big ol' mirror could use an industrial-sized bottle of Windex), but it's comfy...and for a gaming room, that's all I can ask for.

The great little Commodore CRT is used for NES/SNES/N64/Saturn/VHS, the 50" Panasonic plasma for PS3/Wii/PS2/Cable.

main.jpg

topmain.jpg

window.jpg

assort1.jpg
assort2.jpg

mirror.jpg

^ The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is haunting my futon, apparently.

Other stuff: current-gen games in a drawer, maps in the entryway, Pokémon TFGs in a wooden display...

games1.jpg
games2.jpg

various1.jpg
various2.jpg
various3.jpg

I'm trying to find a good place for a couple of mic stands before SingStar ABBA comes out. That, along with a little splash of Christmas decor after Thanksgiving. So there's lots of work to be done.

It even came in a big 'FRAGILE' box. :lol If you pay a lot more, they'll actually send it in a create identical to the one in the movie.

I just opted for the cardboard box, though - that was funny enough for me.

But yeah my Major Award is something I'll always cherish.

Duo014

meh i just got discouragous by seeing some of you guys setups but anyhow i'm going to show mine.

This is our (me and my gf's) gaming set up in our student room.

IMG_4285.jpg

Toy Soldier said:
mirror.jpg

^ The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is haunting my futon, apparently
Holy crap i cas see that :D

Like the sword collection by the way!

I need to get some pics of my living room so i can post on here.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Haha, Toy Soldier's setup is what I would have creamed myself over circa 1996-2001. But these days, I'm more in tune with what I see in WindBelow's setup. Both are fantastic setups and both resonate with men during some point of my life. Congrats, gents (and/or ladies).

bro1

Banned
Here is my set up. I recently changed the TV from a 58" 720P to a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma. Also the speakers are now on the DVD stands.
av1.jpg

av3.jpg

av6.jpg

Hey everyone here. You all (well some of you) seems to have good taste and even if there are already examples of what I could do I just wanted to have your advice.

So I plan to buy a 40" TV (my 32" will go in the room) and I have a PS3, a Wii, a DC, a DVD/Dvix DD recorder and a quite big receiver.

I'm looking for a very modern simple but stylish TV stand. I like a lot the larger but smaller ones but the thing is that my receiver doesnt fit (almost 20cm high).
My gf doesn't want me to put the Wii or the PS3 outside the TV stand because it collects a lot of dust and she knows that SHE will have to clean it.
On the other hand I can't take something to closed because my devices will all die with the heat so not a lot of doors (I know that I can open the doors but if I find another solution I will be happy).
I also have two front speakers both high more than 1m so maybe a less larger TV stand would be nice ?

oh and the good thing is that I don't have to put any DVDs, games or controllers in it (I have a dedicated place for those).

What have you all got for me ?

Thanks and good luck :D

I like this one (Ikea) but there is no doors (only drawers and the one in the middle are to small for my receiver)
59510_PE165404_S4.jpg

Chû Totoro said:
Hey everyone here. You all (well some of you) seems to have good taste and even if there are already examples of what I could do I just wanted to have your advice.

So I plan to buy a 40" TV (my 32" will go in the room) and I have a PS3, a Wii, a DC, a DVD/Dvix DD recorder and a quite big receiver.

I'm looking for a very modern simple but stylish TV stand. I like a lot the larger but smaller ones but the thing is that my receiver doesnt fit (almost 20cm high).
My gf doesn't want me to put the Wii or the PS3 outside the TV stand because it collects a lot of dust and she knows that SHE will have to clean it.
On the other hand I can't take something to closed because my devices will all die with the heat so not a lot of doors (I know that I can open the doors but if I find another solution I will be happy).
I also have two front speakers both high more than 1m so maybe a less larger TV stand would be nice ?

oh and the good thing is that I don't have to put any DVDs, games or controllers in it (I have a dedicated place for those).

What have you all got for me ?

Thanks and good luck :D

I like this one (Ikea) but there is no doors (only drawers and the one in the middle are to small for my receiver)

So basically you need a low TV stand without drawers and enough room for a 20" receiver.

Ikea has plenty of stands you can use either horizontally or vertically.
Like this one:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2598101891_43448c1122.jpg?v=0

WindBelow

Neo Member
ruxtpin said:
Is all that your own artwork? If so, fantastic. If not, fantastic taste. =)

Thanks, and yes a lot of it is mine. Some if it is purchased though. For example the two behind my TV were purchased but the bleeding heart I did. I also had some friends chip in with pieces as well.

Negaiido

Toy Soldier said:
Kinda sloppy, needs a dusting and whatnot (that big ol' mirror could use an industrial-sized bottle of Windex), but it's comfy...and for a gaming room, that's all I can ask for.

The great little Commodore CRT is used for NES/SNES/N64/Saturn/VHS, the 50" Panasonic plasma for PS3/Wii/PS2/Cable.

main.jpg

topmain.jpg

window.jpg

assort1.jpg
assort2.jpg

mirror.jpg

^ The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is haunting my futon, apparently.

Other stuff: current-gen games in a drawer, maps in the entryway, Pokémon TFGs in a wooden display...

games1.jpg
games2.jpg

various1.jpg
various2.jpg
various3.jpg

I'm trying to find a good place for a couple of mic stands before SingStar ABBA comes out. That, along with a little splash of Christmas decor after Thanksgiving. So there's lots of work to be done.

OMG sorry but thats just horrible

ruxtpin

Banned
WindBelow said:
Thanks, and yes a lot of it is mine. Some if it is purchased though. For example the two behind my TV were purchased but the bleeding heart I did. I also had some friends chip in with pieces as well.

Yeah. I liked the two behind the TV. The one on the right esp.

If you're looking for some interesting art visit froghatstudios.com - if you haven't already. The dude has some interesting work.

Negaiido said:
OMG sorry but thats just horrible

No need to apologize, I've had folks tell me it's unpleasant before. I know it's a tacky setup, but that's what I like to do here: just reflect stuff I enjoy, with the visual appeal being a lesser concern.

I always try to keep my little media area looking kinda distinct and tacky because the rest of the apartment is so plain and frumpy...this is the one room where I let my personality explode a bit, being as chintzy as I want to be. It's a room meant for having fun! :)

Alfarif said:
Haha, Toy Soldier's setup is what I would have creamed myself over circa 1996-2001. But these days, I'm more in tune with what I see in WindBelow's setup. Both are fantastic setups and both resonate with men during some point of my life. Congrats, gents (and/or ladies).

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I hear ya. Just like I told Negaiido, for any other room, I'd be much more in tune with some of the slick beautiful layouts folks like WindBelow have structured. That's just top class, right there. I wish I had the dedication to put their kind of effort and talent into the living room of my apartment, but I don't, what can I say! So for this little room, for me, it's all about just having fun. Swords, cheesy fantasy art, the soft glow of electric sex in the corner...it's all good.

Dirtyshubb said:
Holy crap i cas see that :D

Like the sword collection by the way!

Thanks, I really dig them too - they especially look cool when I turn my two main lamps off, have the curtains shut, have the candles lit, and only leave my two small lamps on...the swords, along with the big mirror across the room, reflect the dim light sources beautifully, it's really cool background imagery while you watch TV or play games.

HamPster PamPster said:
What game is this? (this post was in march)

Ohh those were the days when I had my PS3 connected to my 22". Gawd that sucked. I'm really enjoying my 1080p 40" Bravia.

Yes, it's Dark Sector I sold that game as soon as I beat it. Pretty boring, bland story.

N-Bomb

Toy Soldier said:

main.jpg

etc

Subwoofer in a cabinet WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? :E

WindBelow said:

I love the Captain America print.

Chû Totoro said:
Maybe I'll get this ! (in red) :D
What size is your receiver ?
Actually, that's a funny story.

I bought those 3 TV stands first and I had to find a stereo receiver that could fit. So I ended up buying a Marantz PM7001 which is 12 x 44 x 36 cm.

The manufacturer of the TV stand is interstil (danish) and it's part of their 'boston' series. The price (220euro/TV stand) is comparable with ikea. You can get it in black, antracite, red and white. Most furniture stories I visited sell them.
But be carefull with red. It's a nice color but you're stuck with it.

Bonne chance ami

M°°nblade said:
Actually, that's a funny story.

I bought those 3 TV stands first and I had to find a stereo receiver that could fit. So I ended up buying a Marantz PM7001 which is 12 x 44 x 36 cm.

The manufacturer of the TV stand is interstil (danish) and it's part of their 'boston' series. The price (220euro/TV stand) is comparable with ikea. You can get it in black, antracite, red and white. Most furniture stories I visited sell them.
But be carefull with red. It's a nice color but you're stuck with it.

Bonne chance ami
Yeah thank you for all these informations.
I know that red is a risky color but my gf is puting black, grey and white everywhere... I just want to have a little more colorfull place and red is the color there is the most in furnitures shops.

Yesterday I start to search for something simple and I ended with this (Sony RHT G900 ) :
RHT_G900_SONY_1.jpg

It has a very common design but having no receiver, no cables and no big speaker could be nice (all this could go in the other room with my "old" TV).
Does someone know if the sound is actually good and if it's woth it for 850€ ?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I was planning on waiting until I got a new digital camera to clean up my room and take some new pics but since I probably won't get that done before the new year and this is the 2008 edition of this thread, here are some rough shots of my room in its usual state...

room1.jpg

room2.jpg

Sure, I may still live with my mother but goddammit, I've got a comfortable fucking hideaway.

Minotauro said:
I was planning on waiting until I got a new digital camera to clean up my room and take some new pics but since I probably won't get that done before the new year and this is the 2008 edition of this thread, here are some rough shots of my room in its usual state...

*pics*

Sure, I may still live with my mother but goddammit, I've got a comfortable fucking hideaway.
Yeah it's not as classy as some installation here but it seems to be very comfy and you have all what you need in here. It's like an entertainment dedicated room !

Minotauro

Also, for what it's worth...one aspect of my setup didn't really come through in my pics. That being the schoolboy fridge underneath the TV that's currently stocked with bottled water, vodka, sugar-free energy drinks, Guinness Extra Dry Stout, and Stella Artois. My room is a paradise truly.

Minotauro said:
Also, for what it's worth...one aspect of my setup didn't really come through in my pics. That being the schoolboy fridge underneath the TV that's currently stocked with bottled water, vodka, sugar-free energy drinks, Guinness Extra Dry Stout, and Stella Artois. My room is a paradise truly.

fuck, is that a real gun on that table? xD

Minotauro

M°°nblade said:
fuck, is that a real gun on that table? xD

Ha, no, it's an airsoft Glock 33 replica that's had the orange tip sanded down and painted black.

On a side note, I once jokingly pointed it at a friend's temple and pulled the trigger without realizing that it was cocked and ready to go. He was not please.

Top Bottom